Code of Conduct

Default Searching for Patchouli Fragrances

Forgive me if there is a post already on here somewhere about Patchouli fragrances as I'm trying to maneuver my way through the site--it's been a while!

I'm looking to find and possibly buy some good quality patch fragrances in 2012 and am hoping you'll have some recommendations.

Thank you!

Default Re: Searching for Patchouli Fragrances

By chance, yesterday I wore Patchouli homme by Parfums de Nicolai, very smooth, slightly acidic and vegetal. At the other end, I recently purchased the punch-in-the-face Pachouli Indonesiano by Farmacia SS Annunziata, a huge, violent, camphor-woody patch. Many others inbetween which I am sure other people will mention (Patch patch by L'artisan parfumeur, Patchouli leaves by Montale, etc)

cacio

Blog Entries

I would suggest that you try " Patchouli Nobile 1942". It is a bottle worthy scent in my opinion.

Chanel Coromandel, and two from Histoires de Parfums: 1826 and Noir Patchouli.

Tom Ford White Patchouli
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

... a lot of fine suggestions.
    I add Réminiscence Patchouli or the Elixir!

Coromandel, definitely. I also like the patchouli opening in Rancé Laetitia

Chanel Coromandel is a very nice patchouli.

Mazzolari Patchouli is very patchouli with a bit of amber. Not one of my favs, but if you're looking for patchouli....

Patchouli is a tricky note for me. I dislike its use in Parfumerie Generale's perfumes almost entirely. I think I need it well incorporated in a proper base construction without it dominating the whole scene.
    Having said that, my most interesting patchouli heavy frags are Coromandel (Chanel), Noir Patchouli (Histoires de Parfums) and Borneo 1834 (Serge Lutens).

Coromandel and Borneo 1834

Coromandel, Borneo 1834 and Voleur de Roses.
    DONNA

My favorite notes are patchouli mixed with rose...one very good on me is Idylle duet..rose & patchouli
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

MOntale Patchouli Leaves - wonderful sillage and longevity with a hefty dose of amber.

Micallef's Patchouli is excellent and I'd suggest checking out Nombril Immense (patchouli and opoponax, mostly) by EldO.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Borneo +1 just make sure you don't judge it without a full wear. It starts off a little harsh but the patch/cocoa combo settles down beautifully and it never smells gourmand to my nose.

My favorite patchoulis are Parfumerie Generale Cozč which is a dark patchouli with an outstanding woody accord in the base and dirty/gourmandic hints throughout. Intrigant Patchouli could be another option if you're fine with some civet. It's velvety, classic, bold, enveloping...Last but not least I'll second Noir Patchouli for a non "head-shop" interpretation on the main theme...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

To the excellent suggestions already here I'll add Etro Patchouly and Krigler Lovely Patchouly.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I like Keiko Mecheri's Patchoulissime. It's a *pretty* and feminine patchouli.

I love many already mentioned, so let me add Dior's Patchouli Imperial
    Evenstar

patchouli 24, strange, very potent smoky stuff (notice how patchouli works well in a leather accord). it's wonderful, deep and rich, and it lasts forever without losing any of it's strong character. rather expensive.

aromatics elixir, makes me think how patchouli used to be chic before the hippies used it to mask pot odors, it has a gentle touch. this is a perfume with a soul. not expensive, and strong as well.

a decade ago or so i used a shower gel from lush called tramp, with a nice enough patchouli scent for the purpose. with me, if fell out of favor just before i had finished my enormous bottle, but it's not expensive and fun and worth a try; especially if you are really into patchouli and have the habit of taking regular showers. ;)

I also like many already mentioned.
    also adding givenchy gentleman

also please consider wearing patchouli straight. we need to take it back from its associations

Thank you for this information. I had a fragrance by PdeN (Sacrebleue??), and I enjoyed it--I might look into their patchouli - Thanks! : )

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I would suggest that you try " Patchouli Nobile 1942". It is a bottle worthy scent in my opinion.
    Sounds awfully intriguing, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Chanel Coromandel, and two from Histoires de Parfums: 1826 and Noir Patchouli.
    Yes, I had heard Coromandel is a fabulous fragrance for patch lovers. It has all the notes I love, too. I am not familiar with the other two mentioned, but I will enjoy checking them out - thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch
    I read a recent review of Tom Ford's White patchouli indicating it's a very polished, very modern take on patchouli (minus the earthiness?)--and his cost is a consideration for me. I do like the L'Artisan line but have never sampled their patchouli. Something to consider--thank you!

How cool, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    My favorite notes are patchouli mixed with rose...one very good on me is Idylle duet..rose & patchouli

Well, I love Stella McCartney's Stella edp mixed with Kiehl's musk (an earthy, smokey musk)...a good duo! Thank you for your input. : )

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    patchouli 24, strange, very potent smoky stuff (notice how patchouli works well in a leather accord). it's wonderful, deep and rich, and it lasts forever without losing any of it's strong character. rather expensive.

aromatics elixir, makes me think how patchouli used to be chic before the hippies used it to mask pot odors, it has a gentle touch. this is a perfume with a soul. not expensive, and strong as well.

a decade ago or so i used a shower gel from lush called tramp, with a nice enough patchouli scent for the purpose. with me, if fell out of favor just before i had finished my enormous bottle, but it's not expensive and fun and worth a try; especially if you are really into patchouli and have the habit of taking regular showers.
    LOVE your suggestions--thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I love many already mentioned, so let me add Dior's Patchouli Imperial
    Wow! Dior does a patchouli? Is it easy/hard to find? Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I like Keiko Mecheri's Patchoulissime. It's a *pretty* and feminine patchouli.
    I like the K Mecheri line. I've had their Sanguine (blood oranges), which was sheer and fresh/uplifting (delicious, too). I'll look into Pathchoulissime. I like that name. : )

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Micallef's Patchouli is excellent and I'd suggest checking out Nombril Immense (patchouli and opoponax, mostly) by EldO.

I love the suggestions, thank you!

Don't think anyone's mentioned it:

Mon Parfum Cheri per Camille (Annick Goutal) is a chypre patchouli hybrid with a nod to the good old days. It has a zing to it, like Aromatics Elixir, not an earthy patchouli at all.

L'Heure Defendue from Cartier is a very bitter cacao, patchouli, cashmeran that should appeal to fans of Lutens Borneo.

Hillaire

My almost-favorite patchouli scent is Histoires 1740 Marquis de Sade in its original formulation. I know they have some patch scents, but this is still a patch scent to me, and I think it's the best.

This is the bottle style to look out for.

Some others I love are Mazzolari Mazzolari and Mazzolari Patchouli. Again, the one that is called Patchouli is great, but the original Mazzolari is patchouli with some pizzazz. If you are a devoted patchouli fan, this is the one house I insist you explore. All their scents seem to be from-patchouli-up, and they are all really sumptuous.

One that seems not to list patchouli (but is totally a patch scent, I can assure you) is Bond's Andy Warhol Silver Factory. It's a really wearable, resinous patchouli (as opposed to a powder puff patchouli), and it's the kind I migrate to.

Another I love, if you think you might like a rich, sensual, Arabian-styled patchouli scent with oud, is Micallef's Emir. It oozes sex-appeal. And I'd wear it, though it might be a 'tad' to the right of dead center on, say Luckyscent's masculo-femina-meter. So sexy!

If it's a classic patchouli scent you seek, I also suggest:

Maitre's Parfum de George Sand, which is what I imagine proto-chypres smelled like before the frabjous day Francois Coty made his fateful tweak: full-bodied patch-based florals with very little astringency. And it feels right.

The Party In Manhattan is another one -- that while a true chypre -- really feels like something from another era. And it's the earthy sort of patchouli note that can even feel 'sharp' that characterizes this one.

Finally, I'd like to sum up my mini-list (I could go on, and on... and on...) with what I consider the finest patchouli scent of all time. A perfectly unisex masterpiece. Givenchy Gentlemen. In its original formulation (and that's the only one I'd consider), it is a honeyed, earthy, fey take on patchouli, with a sexy leather note and longevity you will not believe! To be sure you are getting an older vintage, look on ebay for bottles that the silver label completely wraps; the labels that fit on the front face point to the new stuff, which has no magic left.

This is the bottle-style to look out for!

Well if you can tolerate your patchouli with some big, blowsy rose, I'd propose Malle's Portrait of a Lady.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Mmmmm....I love patchouli and love reading about all these patchoulis! I'm a fan of both the Mazzolari and Montale's Patchouli Leaves. I'd say the latter is a little easier to wear. The Mazzolari can be a little medicinal at times. I also love Jo Malone's Amber and Patchouli and have been doling it out of my tiny decant with great care.

You should never forget the Italians! Etro and Villoresi make great earthy patches

Another vote for Coromandel. I also love PG L'Ombre Fauve.

My fave patch scent is, by far, Chanel Coromandel

My favorite, elegant patchouli: George Sand

I also *love* Ineke Field Notes from Paris. But it gets some harsh negative reactions in reviews, so proceed with caution.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

+1 for Dior Patchouli lmperial. l'd call it a "friendly" patchouli; not too earthy or sharp, with a nice amber/labdanum base. l got my sample from Crystal Flacon.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Big +1 to MPG George Sand.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    Big +1 to MPG George Sand.
    too oftenly overlooked fragrance.