Code of Conduct

Question Third Man reformulations?

Third man bottles- the Yatagan bottle sizes thread had a posting of bottles for three formulations, and descriptions. Does anyone have a similar photo or description for formulations of Third Man aka Number 3, aka Le Troisiemme Homme?
    Last edited by silversurfer; 10th January 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: to show third man in mouseover

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Third Man reformulations?

Caron, you had best leave No. 3 ALONE!!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

dark glass bottle = old. clear glass bottle = new.

Only knew about the dark glass bottle which is what I have. I don't think I've come across the clear bottle yet.

it's been there for some years now. this bottle has the same design as the current yatagan and pour un homme bottles, but with beige/brown color coding instead of red (for yatagan) and green (for pour un homme).

the newer stuff smells rather different.

I have the old bottle and the new one. The old one went a bit sour since it was twenty odd years old. The new (clear) bottle smells great.

I have this:

And this:

And, to my nose, they smell identical.

Hi, Soundtrack and welcome to Basenotes!. Thanks for your input. I have a couple of questions though:
    1. Does your old bottle look like the pic Bossa Nova posted at 3:36 AM today?
    2. Does "a bit sour" mean it smells bad now, or just different, and is it just in the top notes, or all around?
    3. Are you sure the old bottle is 20 years old? I thought it was introduced 1985...

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
    I have the old bottle and the new one. The old one went a bit sour since it was twenty odd years old. The new (clear) bottle smells great.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    3. Are you sure the old bottle is 20 years old? I thought it was introduced 1985...
    Why couldn't he have bought it in '91

Re silversurfer
    1. I have a mini of the old/same formulation
    2. Yes the opening is sour. It just doesn't smell right. Sorry I can't be more specific. The new bottle I bought smells beautiful.
    3. I am assuming it is 20 years old. I got it from a middle aged friend - who acquired the entirety of his (small) collection in the late 80s or early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Why couldn't he have bought it in '91
    Because I can't add!

Must.. reboot.. brain....

I have the new one and never tried the original. It smells too blob-like to me. I can't imagine the original having such poor note separation, but perhaps that's the frag that started the trend !

Thanks for the responses from everyone. OK, so far we have:

OLD NEW
    went sour different
    same same
    ______ blob-like

Hmmm, anybody else have some obserations, or different bottle descriptions?

Grin.... I take it you're passionate about your 3rd Man. So, are you stating they have not yet reformulated?

Tania Sanchez describes the latest version (for the new book) as toasty, rum coffee, lavender, in the direction of Yohji homme, versus the older version, which had girlish jasmine and barbershop hay and musk. But I don't think the different formulations correspond to bottle styles, because the newer bottle was around also in 2007 when TS wrote the first review for the book. I only have one version, so I cannot compare.

cacio

The new bottle has been around for a good while, so if it's been reformulated it may not be easy to differentiate, and it must have happened quite recently. I was thinking about picking a bottle up, I guess I need to do it sooner rather than later, as most of the stock currently online is probably still the original?

Question Re: Third Man reformulations?

Does anybody know anything about this bottle or its formulation? I've never seen it before:
    thirdmandifferentbottle.jpg
    (click image to view larger)
    1 ounce bottle, with tall, rounded edge black top that looks as tall as the bottle itself
    Last edited by silversurfer; 10th January 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: more text

Question Re: Third Man reformulations?

delete please
    Last edited by silversurfer; 10th January 2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Tania Sanchez describes the latest version (for the new book) as toasty, rum coffee, lavender, in the direction of Yohji homme, versus the older version, which had girlish jasmine and barbershop hay and musk. But I don't think the different formulations correspond to bottle styles, because the newer bottle was around also in 2007 when TS wrote the first review for the book. I only have one version, so I cannot compare.

cacio
    well, the new one may just be better.

It's sad what they have done to most of the eighties fragrances they are just watered down. I would love to know if there are any oakmoss laden gems still out there that have not been reformulated. Though I doubt it.

i know of three different formula's of this one. i do not know what formula is in the bottle in a previous post. could be something different again. from what i recall, the older stuff was darker, more textured, rather base-heavy (in the way that some spicy orientals are). i didn't care so much for the bottle from 3 years (or so) ago. too much freshened-up i suppose. the third formula, i do not know it's date, i had some miniatures. my guess is that it would be in between the other two. this was great stuff, just a tad lighter than the common vintage bottles, and none worse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Interesting. I've got the new bottle in 4.2oz size and it has a definite jasmine/hay accord. So there's something never than that?
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Strolly
    ... interesting, where did you buy it? Of course, TS need not be correct, though they are usually careful in smelling things. Or perhaps, you just bought a desirable older formulation. Either way, enjoy!

cacio

So it has gone dark smoky edible mysterious instead of smoky sweet floral mysterious according to TS & LT? Quite intriguing.