Code of Conduct

Default Quorum = not as strong as I've heard??

Pretty much as the title reads: I picked up a bottle of Quorum, gave it two chest sprays, really dug the opening but the scent died on its way through the middle to the end! Bad bottle? Just didn't seem quite the powerhouse that I've read about on BN, which was precisely what I was looking for.... Any ideas?

Default Re: Quorum = not as strong as I've heard??

I bought a bottle of Quorum a few months ago and it is very strong. Definitely still a powerhouse. Mine is the new formula too. It lasted a long time and it was STRONG. Vintage Quorum apparently was much beastlier though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

This is a fragrance that I personally never liked although I am well aware that it has its admirers.

According to my nose and how it interacted with my skin so far, it was quite a longevity and/or projection beast

Maybe you need to give this one more time and ask others around you what they think. As this one is a well known and acknowledged beastly powerhouse fragrance.

Love this on Mr Ali. He's worn it intermittently for 30 years and has always been stunning. Would never have described as a powerhouse though

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Love this on Mr Ali. He's worn it intermittently for 30 years and has always been stunning. Would never have described as a powerhouse though

Who is Mr. Ali?
    Surely not Mohammed Ali?
    I am tempted to try this as it is going for the princely sum of £4.99 for 50ml in one boots type supermarket chain.
    any more comments from anyone on what it resembles?

I have two formulations, a vintage and a current one. The vintage is stronger than the current, but, hold on: it happened, while wearing this last one, I could not smell it on me, but others did and complimented on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Maybe you need to give this one more time and ask others around you what they think. As this one is a well known and acknowledged beastly powerhouse fragrance.
    Quorum is a bomb to me and to be applied sparingly. If it just won't get the job done then try Yatagan. I have a feeling that it will get your attention.

quorum projects and sustains very well. its scent profile is low by nature. I mean an ambery, gourmandy smell gets your attention with a whiff, but not this one. like color red as opposed to khaki.

yatagan is much lower in projection, and somewhat lower in longevity. it is not the beast people portray it to be.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    yatagan is much lower in projection, and somewhat lower in longevity. it is not the beast people portray it to be.
    Agreed, though the Yat's character is far more unique than Quorum, which is drowned in leather / birch tar to my nose. Then again, I'm very sensitive to the stuff.

I agree. Yatagan's power is in its character, and it is unique.

Martinijo Mr Ali is my hubby! As in Mr Alityke?

My bottle is much stronger than you've described but its true strength is grossly exaggerated. Bear in mind though that the notes in Quorum are quite pungent so that heightens the effect somewhat. A persistent vanilla or musk won't hit you as hard as a persistent leather, animal musk or cumin note. This may also explain why Yatagan, a scent with slightly above average longevity and sillage, is so greatly 'feared'.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Blog Entries

On my skin, Quorum definitely is powerful and it lasts long. I'm careful when wearing this as an over-application can be cloying.

I also get excellent longevity from Quorum, although certainly it calms down after the first half hour or so.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

The opening is really where this one gets its atomic bombesque reputation; after the first half hour or so it settles down to a more manageable strength. Your nose might be getting fatigued from the opening, as I'm guessing others around you can still smell it well enough into the dry down. I like this one, but make sure not to be near anyone for a while after application.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a solid scent but not actually a "powerhouse" imo. actually, since I started using it two years ago, I switched from making it my autumn frag to my summer frag. I feel it works better in dry heat, sometime between late July and early September. the top is definitely brisk and full of herbs - and that mediocre grapefruit note that turns cloying with over application. then it settles into something very dry, gassy, with hits of pine and a better-calibrated grapefruit. a little sweat brings things to life, and it really smells excellent then. not my favorite, but a good one that I don't mind having around.

I think the best way to judge Quorum's true strength is to think about how it hit you the very first time you ever smelled it. I remember the first time I wore it, with just three sprays it almost knocked me on the floor it was so strong. And it went on for hours and hours. This was years ago, and since then I've been wearing it all the time and I'm totally used to the smell, so it doesn't smell brutal to me at all anymore.

That being said, Quorum is a strong powerhouse of a scent. If it doesn't smell super strong to you, I'll bet it does to people standing within a few feet of you.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Martinijo Mr Ali is my hubby! As in Mr Alityke?

Oh right, thanks.
    I did try this and quite liked it, but I must say I have now realised how similar it is to Daniel Hechter Charactere. I actually prefer Charactere, it seems a bit warmer and richer. (And equally cheap).

Down here lots of 30ml bottles of the old Quorum rough- ultra powerhouse can still be found. The reformulated version is still strong, but definitely not as strong as it used to be, and smoother, not rough like it used to be.
    Regards,
    Renato