Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default The Perfume Magazine - Winter Issue

The Winter issue of The Perfume Magazine is out!

http://theperfumemagazine.com/

Looks like a really nice article about Baudelaire! It also appears that IFF let some joker from the Basenotes men's board snoop around their operation with a camera, asking nosey questions.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! Their mistake.

Power Where You Need It

Default Re: The Perfume Magazine - Winter Issue

Great job Red

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Congratulations Red and thanks for such an indepth and engaging walk through - it must have been real fun.

Hillaire

I loved your article!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 31st December 2011 at 11:08 PM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Neil you keep cranking out wonderful articles! It is sooo obvious you love what you write about and you write it very well. More! More!
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Brilliant report! Thanks so much for sharing with the BN community. Loved it!

Thanks for this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Great job Red
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Congratulations Red and thanks for such an indepth and engaging walk through - it must have been real fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I loved your article!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Neil you keep cranking out wonderful articles! It is sooo obvious you love what you write about and you write it very well. More! More!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Brilliant report! Thanks so much for sharing with the BN community. Loved it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for this.
    Thanks, friends! Just like the last time, I kept telling myself that I was representing the gang, and I needed to be your eyes and ears. Word to the brothers and sisters!

It was really a lot of fun. I have to say, this visit raised far more questions than it answered for me. I only skimmed the surface of what's going on there - especially as far as technology, fashion, and fragrance per se. So many fascinating questions - things that we're terribly interested in as fragrance aficionados - they were hinted at, and left very open. There were many times that I really wanted to push for more detail, but I knew better than to do it. We simply didn't have the time - and we ran way over as it was. Moreover, on some of those things, it would have been unprintable anyway. IFF has lots of good cards, and they're not showing them unless they have to.

But beyond that, I wanted to not delve too deeply into any one area, so that I could get a bigger picture of the organization - something to gauge what the industry is really like overall. I was prepared for it to be much less human than what I found, and that is actually the big story I was able to take away - central to what I'm trying to say here. In fact, I was a bit shocked at how sensitive such a large organization can be. Yes, it's very business-like, as any large organization with a lot of information flow is. But beyond that, there was a certain sensitivity and emotional nature that you can feel. It struck me as even greater than what I've seen in the "dot-org" and "dot-edu" worlds, where you expect it more. For a "dot-com", IFF feels surprisingly like a music or arts department at a university. I began my science career in a very collegial chemistry department, with a sense of history, and a great deal of esprit de corps, and it sort of felt like that. I'm not sure if this is because of a very global outlook, which seems heavily influenced by France's central position in the fragrance world, or if it's simply the nature of the beauty industry. In any case, it was refreshing, to say the least. When Ann Gottlieb uttered that memorable line in that BBC documentary, the one where they were doing a milestone meeting on a brief, and she said "There may be tears." Well, at that time, I wasn't quite sure I believed it. Now I do.

If you want to see some more pictures from the trip, I put them up on my personal blog, over here.

Again, thanks for your support, people!

PS - I wanted to address one of Hillaire's great questions (we've been PM-ing! ), for reasons you will see....

No, this isn't a paying gig, but honestly, I prefer it that way. Money for fragrance writing just scares me. I even gave the travel reimbursement from Grant's gig to charity. Though in full disclosure, I did accept some VERY nice Creed and Bond samples from Raphaella after the fact, in celebration of getting this issue out! Like RHM said on an earlier thread, it's a labor of love. However, Perfume Magazine is looking for more contributors, and particularly folks who can bring some gravitas (as well as their own proofreading skills! ). I think you can see from this issue that the fields of interest range from art history to the laboratory, and there are lots of folks on BN who already have impressive knowledge in these areas of interest. The editors at TPM can open doors if you need industry access, research, interviews, etc. So if you have some ideas and would like to make a contribution - even just a single article or a short series on your favorite topics - I STRONGLY encourage you to contract the editors at TPM and pitch your ideas.

Who knows? Maybe next time they can send TWO of us into some poor company!

Neil, informative and fascinating read!

heart of ice

I loved the article! (and your blog as well!) Thank you!

Dependent

Just finished the article -- this was a journey of itself and only one I can dream of!

To say this article was informative would be an understatement! Loved it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Neil, informative and fascinating read!
    Thanks, Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I loved the article! (and your blog as well!) Thank you!
    You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it, shades! (And you visited the blog, too - THANKS!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Just finished the article -- this was a journey of itself and only one I can dream of!

To say this article was informative would be an understatement! Loved it
    Thanks, chris - glad you enjoyed it! The fragrance industry is definitely a very cool place. I'm really glad I got to see all this - though now I have a gazillion more questions. But I think I'm going to let my brain reorganize a little before trying to get answers. I feel like I want to ask the right questions, now.

I didn't know about this magazine, what a wonderful read and a fascinating article! Well done @Redneck Perfumisto, can't wait to read more from you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
    I didn't know about this magazine, what a wonderful read and a fascinating article! Well done @Redneck Perfumisto, can't wait to read more from you!
    Thanks, Lavender! I do hope to dig into some of these topics a bit more this year. At the moment, however, I just want to recover. A month of hardcore coding and wearing fragrance with no purpose sounds really good right about now!

Thanks for the info RP!!!
    Gary

Dependent

nice, thanks for the link. good stuff