Code of Conduct
o

Thumbs up End of year summary - what I have learned.

I have been a member of Basenotes for several years now and during that time
    I have learned so much from so many of you here on the Female Fragrance
    Discussion Board. I appreciate all your wise and interesting input and hope I have
    also begun to share some of the knowledge I am gradually gaining with newer members.

From a personal point of view I have smelled a huge variety of fragrances over the past few
    years and have come to the following conclusions, which I hope you will find interesting.

I definitely prefer a scent that keeps my interest throughout its development. (I get easily
    bored!) Sienne l'Hiver has the most amazing story to tell of all the scents I have smelled so far.

I like a surprising beginning! Roma (Laura Biagiotti) has this as do Le Parfum de Therese and
    Hypnotic Poison. I like to be made to sit up and take notice from the very start.

My skin seems to suit vanilla and leather based scents. I always get the most compliments when I wear
    Cuir Beluga or Daim Blond.

Layering scents at random (as when testing several perfumes one after the other) usually results in a positive compliment or sometimes even two. This happens to me regularly and I can't help feeling it's because of the combined sillage making people take more notice than usual.

I can only smell the majority of perfumes on other people 1.Just after they have applied it or 2.When very close to them (as when kissing/hugging them in greeting) - the exceptions to this are the heavy hitters such as Angel, Ysatis, Red Door etc!!

I love most of the older Guerlains - especially Jicky and Mitsouko.

My favourite perfume family is the Orientals.

Roudnitska and Duchaufour are masters of their craft.

Just because a perfume is relatively cheap doesn't mean it can't be excellent. LouLou (Cacharel) The Clarins scents,
    The Sanctuary Classic edt and Fragonard's Fleur D'Oranger are good examples of this phenomenon.

Perfume has added an extra dimension to my life and I love it! God bless you all.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Tocade by Rochas

Default Re: End of year summary - what I have learned.

Thank you for sharing, Kewart!

I've learnt that I don't need eighty-something full bottles and that, most of the time, I wear the same stuff again and again.
    Giving away bottles you don't use can make other people very happy.
    That said, there are a few fragrances I rarely wear (Mitsouko, Caleche) that I like to keep for reference purposes.

I am attracted to florals, but I don't feel comfortable wearing most of them.
    I feel very comfortable in chypres and spicy orientals.

I rarely buy mainstream frags. I prefer niche, vintage and -sometimes- my own blends.

Some brands have practically destroyed their heritage through poor reformulations. I don't buy from them anymore.

My passion for fragrance has helped me make new friends and meet truly wonderful people. I think this is the most important part.

Thanks for sharing, kewart! It is great having you here with us!

Guest 3

In 2011 I learned to love the House of Chanel.

2011 will be the last year of tracking SotD in an excel spreadsheet. I don't need to do that anymore. Too tiresome. I'm liberating myself from all that. But I will try to remember to take my own fragrance notes because I have found that very helpful in retrospect.

I've learned that I NEED some kind of easy-access, attractive storage solution for fragrances and decants. The linen closet is out of control.

I've learned that I have no preferred category of fragrance. There is always something new to me to take my breath away and blow my preconceptions out of the water, thank goodness. I've learned that I have my own categories, and they are emotionally determined.

My passion for fragrance has helped me make new friends and meet truly wonderful people. I think this is the most important part.
    Me too.

I've learned that I CAN wear big power frags...just not near my face.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    And this! I have gained a lot of respect for them in the same way I have lost respect for other houses *cough* Guerlain *cough*

I've learned that I have no preferred category of fragrance. There is always something new to me to take my breath away and blow my preconceptions out of the water, thank goodness. I've learned that I have my own categories, and they are emotionally determined.

Oh, me too, lilybelle!

I have also learned that I do not need a wardrobe full of masterpiece fragrances if they don't speak to me. If I'm not going to love wearing them, there is no point in owing them. And I'd rather have a handful of well-loved (and maybe even hugely expensive bottles) than dozens of bottles I like but never wear. Can you tell I'm talking myself into a fb purchase of MdO Oud??? )

Thanks for starting the thread kewart! What fun!

Me,too!
    Wait...Me three!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/