Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Comparative review of Nautica Original, Nautica Blue, and Nautica Voyage

So I wanted to try a comparative review, and I chose Nautica since I've smelled all three recently, and definitely formed an opinion on them, besides I've seen alot of posts asking if these cheaper scents are worth a blind buy. Hopefully this provides a small guide.:

Nautica Classic (1992): What would happen if you took the smell of Lilac and Lavender, and intensified so as to make it indistinguishable from mustard gas? Here's your answer, a noxious, cheap vile creation which, remarkably is still being sold to unsuspecting souls too young to know better or reliving past highschool mistakes into adulthood. Avoid this absolute mess. Thumbs down.

Nautica Blue (2006): Cheap, synthetic, generic soapy blue scent. Nothing that distinguishes it from being made into a new scent for Tide laundry detergent. It's not as awful as Nautica Classic, but there's just nothing to make this stand out, plus it has the same bottle design as the Nautica Classic, so maybe I have some lingering PTSD from that scent tainting my judgement on this. Thumbs down.

Nautica Voyage (2006): What the hell happened here? A Nautica that isn't offensive or generic? Oh, also coincidentally a scent the perfumier isn't too embarrassed to attach their name to. A Maurice Roucel masterpiece, smells of pineapple and mimose at the top notes, dries down to a sort of linen fabric softener scent with the pineapple note lingering (but not in a taudry or cheap way). If you need a versatile aquatic floral, this is as good as it gets. Even the bottle design on this is art. Enthusiastic thumbs up!

Default Re: Comparative review of Nautica Original, Nautica Blue, and Nautica Voyage

Nautica's best cologne was Nautica Competition in the original blue bottle. It was my signature scent when I was a young teen. I still have a bottle from 1999 or so and it still smells great. Too bad they discontinued it, as it was a great scent.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Default Re: Comparative review of Nautica Original, Nautica Blue, and Nautica Voyage

I dropped the Voyage top on my toe yesterday and it really hurt. Good scent.

My favorite Nautica scent out of the ones I have or have tried, is White Sail. (a nice clean linen/soapy type scent). Voyage and Oceans are ok, and I dislike Blue (it smells like cheap peach liquor of some sort).

I'd go for Tommy T if I wanted that clean linen note. Voyage comes across to me as a "chemical mess," though it may have been reformulated (and I kept trying it over a period of a couple years). I got half an ounce of Blue as a gift but didn't even bother to take it out of its package. It went right on my swap list !

Like the sound of Voyage but not tried it yet. Blue is horrific. Worst blind buy I've ever made.

Basenotes Junkie

all the nauticas are weak except for voyage. its one of my favorite aquatics. kind of fruity with good projection and lasts.

Dependent

Not into aquatics much, but Voyage was one of the first scents I loved and therefore it remains partial to me. Voyage is one of few fragrances that truly feels aquatic to my nose.

Blue is one of the most booring scents I've ever smelled. Bought blind;( (that's me I guess; I never learn...)

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Nautica's best cologne was Nautica Competition in the original blue bottle. It was my signature scent when I was a young teen. I still have a bottle from 1999 or so and it still smells great. Too bad they discontinued it, as it was a great scent.
    Agreed, and to this day the best fresh 90's style scent I've ever smelled.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I agree.....Competition was a very good scent.....I think that the bottle hurt sales.....The fragrance was very good.....I am also a fan of Voyage.....Another very good scent!!!
    gary

Three day bump?

I feel like voyage was really good. I bought 'Pure' by Nautica previous to voyage. Since then, I've dropped the bottle and lost 3/4 of it's juice. It lasts for an hour or two. The smell is okay, smells like the sea with florals thrown in. But the sillage and longevity is horrible, a fragrance that only attracts from fresh top notes.

Voyage was something else. It smells really sweet, almost feminine, but it still retains its masculinity with an amazing, sweet smell. You could classify this as a unisex even. But for the younger man, this is perfect. However, I literally had a woman coming up to me and saying that I smelled like their ex.

Smelled Voyage today. It reminds me of Bvlgari Aqva with it's salty sea note. It's very nice.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Not a fan of any of them. Shame, Maurice Roucel.

Whatever it is they sell in the bottle labelled "Nautica Classic", it doesn't compare to what I have in my two bottles of "Nautica" original. Nautica original isn't a great scent, but it doesn't smell cheap and nasty like what is now in the "Classic" bottle.

My favourite Nautica by far is still the sweet woody Latitude Longitude, which is very long lasting as well.
    Renato

This comparison reminds me of the guy who was walking in the park, looked down and saw something at his feet.

He said " Looks like shit, um, smells like shit, tastes like shit, sure glad I didn't step in it"