Code of Conduct

Default What is the marine note/accord in Horizon ?

There seems to be some disagreement here. I thought calone had a "fresh" quality, which I don't get from Horizon (other than the non-calone notes listed, such as mint and grapefruit). Also, the marine note/accord is very strong. From what I've read, that would exclude calone being used in large amounts in Horizon. Here is one example:

For all of you who believe you may not be familiar with Calone: you ARE familiar with it — Calone is present in hundreds of masculine and feminine perfumes, especially ones that proclaim an affinity with the seaside. When the words “aquatic,” “marine” or “oceanic” are included in a list of perfume notes, or in a perfume description, the chances are good Calone is in the formula. Calone is so ubiquitous, when I smell it I think: “Department Store Perfume Counter, Anywhere, USA”. (I also sometimes think: “Housework!” because there are lots of Calone-rich cleaning products on the market; Calone = Clean.)...

Calone was discovered by the drug company Pfizer in 1966 and is similar in chemical structure to pheromones secreted by certain brown algae*. Calone’s molecular structure also resembles tranquilizers** and I can attest to the ‘sleep-inducing’ — i.e. boredom-producing — effects of Calone; the scent of Calone is everywhere: in anti-bacterial wipes, supermarket soaps and detergents, “fine” fragrances and candles. But don’t call me an outright “Calone-Hater”; though Calone can be “obnoxious” and harsh (semi-industrial in character) when it dominates a perfume, if Calone is skillfully blended with other notes, especially rich notes, it can buoy a fragrance, add zing.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/03/12...grance-review/

This does not sound anything like Horizon. Also, other frags I've smelled that supposedly have strong calone just smell "synthetic" to me, and not really seaweed-ish or marine-ish, so does anyone know what could be creating this effect in Horizon? Thanks.

Default Re: What is the marine note/accord in Horizon ?

I would be interested in knowing as well. I dislike calone but love Horizon.

there are big herbal notes in horizon. it does smell synthetic to me, but it's nice. the overall effect is more in the vein of kenzo pour homme or bergamotto marino. I do think there is calone in horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    there are big herbal notes in horizon. it does smell synthetic to me, but it's nice. the overall effect is more in the vein of kenzo pour homme or bergamotto marino. I do think there is calone in horizon.
    If that is true, is that what creates the seaweed type of note? Whatever that note is, it doesn't come across as "fresh" to me, which is what I find most confusing here.

I think the seaweed kind of smell is not related to the calone (or the other cucumbery / leaf alcohol or whichever) molecule..
    they mostly provide lift or are used in accords (violet leaf comes to my mind) when not overdosed.

All i get from Horizon is "fresh, aquatic, soapy clean" ? Its like being in the shower covered in "Ocean Fresh" body wash. Maybe a little pepper underneath that is throwing you off. I am always surprised when Horizon is suggested as alternative to those "terrible aquatics" on here. It smells like a bottom of the barrel aquatic to me. If it was still sold at Macy's it would be universally panned.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I think the seaweed kind of smell is not related to the calone (or the other cucumbery / leaf alcohol or whichever) molecule..
    they mostly provide lift or are used in accords (violet leaf comes to my mind) when not overdosed.
    That's my sense, especially in light of aquatic frags I've tried. With those, I've smelled cucumber/melon type notes, citrusy "fresh" type notes, and even ones that do smell like the sea (such as in Unbound), but in a very different way.