Code of Conduct

Default New member, new collector

After a long time of being unable to indulge myself, I've come into a new job - and with it, of course, a new interest in perfume.

My aunt and mother kept buying perfumes for me for holidays - heaven alone knows why - but always either very bright, fruity, "girly" fragrances, or whatever Clinique was putting out that year. Unbeknown to either of them I had stolen my father's bottle of Chanel Egoiste when I was still in high school and I carefully nursed that bottle for many years after! It's my signature scent and my favorite thing to wear to this day. I didn't realize perfume was something one could buy for one's self until I ran out of dad's bottle and had to purchase my own.

And then, of course, I learned that there was more to life than fruit and Happy.

I'm still a novice, and I'd like to learn more, but at this stage I feel my best bet is to smell everything I possibly can so I can pick up the vocabulary of scent. I was hoping the excellent Basenotes community might help me out.

Of course I'm too new to post in the swap thread, but I bought a new bottle of L'Occitane's Immortelle de Corse, thinking it was the sort of thing that people might be curious about or only want a little bit of (I think it's a wonderful scent but to be worn sparingly, and I don't stand a chance of using up a whole bottle myself,) and I imagined I might swap people 1mL or 5mL decants of that for.... literally whatever they had lying around. Ends of bottles, samples they'll never use, samples of their favorite things for which they are always evangelists, things that they feel are Good Educational Examples, so on and so forth.

Has that sort of experiment been done here before? Do I have a prayer of coming out of it alive?

Default Re: New member, new collector

Quote Originally Posted by thural View Post
    I imagined I might swap people 1mL or 5mL decants of that for.... literally whatever they had lying around. Ends of bottles, samples they'll never use, samples of their favorite things for which they are always evangelists, things that they feel are Good Educational Examples, so on and so forth.

Has that sort of experiment been done here before? Do I have a prayer of coming out of it alive?
    I don't speak from personal experience, but I imagine there are quite a few people on this website who reason the same way and have had a very satisfying experience experimenting with different fragrances in that way, but to have it work here as you mentioned, you would have to have the necessary number of posts to do this on the swap thread.
    Last edited by hednic; 2nd January 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes thural I love Egoiste too- a gorgeous scent on either sex.

Do you live near a sephora? They will make samples of whatever scents you wish.
    And definately keep posting so people get to know you and your taste- and so you get up to the # of posts to go on the swap forum. Another thought is there are swap forums on makeupalley and Fragrantica, too.

Sniff in good health- Enjoy your fragrance journey.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

What you propose sounds like a good idea. Go ahead and post a sample swap thread as soon as you can.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'