Code of Conduct

Default Anyone prefer the reformulated Dior Homme Intense to the old version?

There are a whole bunch of threads regarding the reformulated version of Dior Homme Intense and it seems like most people aren't too happy with it. I have yet to try the new version but to those who have tried both, does anyone find the new Dior Homme Intense BETTER than the old version? I'm really interested to see if there is indeed any positive feedback on this poor guy.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Default Re: Anyone prefer the reformulated Dior Homme Intense to the old version?

Old formulation by far

Default Re: Anyone prefer the reformulated Dior Homme Intense to the old version?

Old formulation - there is no question about it

Definitely vintage formulation!

In my case, I must honestly confess that I prefer neither, since I cannot tell them apart in the first place

I could swear this whole re-formulation being rubbish paradigm was concocted by wiley old eBay sellers.
    They now sell grotto old half-filled bottles of fragrance for a huge premium
    What's not to love
    :P

Fragrance matures with time as the carrier alcohol evaporates and leaves the mixture richer and stronger.
    Certain notes subtly change as things mix it up in the bottle , not surprised fresh new bottles smell a bit different.
    Give the new bottles time - then when they old you can love them
    Must....smell......Good!!!!

I like both but i will stay with what I own which is the original.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's comments on this subject, I really appreciate it.

I know Dior did this to own the rights to the new formula, but I find it hard to believe that Dior Homme Intense is purchased by anyone other than serious fragrance enthusiasts who wouldn't be fooled by a reformulation. This fragrance obviously has a passionate following and it's sad that Dior would disregard the customers who support the product and who are the reason for the product's success in the first place.

I'm still curious to find out if anyone finds the new formula an improvement. There has to be someone out there lol.

I will jump in here and say that I rank the reformulated Dior Homme Intense as my #1 favorite fragrance that I have ever had my sniffer on. With that being said, I have unfortunately never sampled the vintage version to compare. I actually wanna keep it that way since I've bought 2 bottles of the reformulated version, I'd hate to be in instant lust with the vintage and that would perhaps make me think less of the version I currently own. By the way, I here of all the horrid longevity stories with the reformulated stuff but I can get 12 hours easy with this stuff. Maybe its my skin type or something but I get excellent projection and longevity with Dior Homme Intense.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    I will jump in here and say that I rank the reformulated Dior Homme Intense as my #1 favorite fragrance that I have ever had my sniffer on. With that being said, I have unfortunately never sampled the vintage version to compare. I actually wanna keep it that way since I've bought 2 bottles of the reformulated version, I'd hate to be in instant lust with the vintage and that would perhaps make me think less of the version I currently own. By the way, I here of all the horrid longevity stories with the reformulated stuff but I can get 12 hours easy with this stuff. Maybe its my skin type or something but I get excellent projection and longevity with Dior Homme Intense.
    In this reply lies the whole psychological part of this debate :
    A large component of an olfactory experience is in your mind and is swayed by your emotions, always will be and never changes.

Apart from certain chemicals becoming outlawed as does happen why would a company re-formulate a frag?
    They certainly do not want to alienate their customer base after all the costly marketing and product development

Someone mentioned they did not own the rights to the frags formula - as in they sold the rights to produce and market their frags to another company , that does happen with some Fashion Houses.
    Why would they get the rights back to manufacture a certain smell concoction and not the composition information?
    That's ridiculous - Dior now owns the rights to make that signature smell but not the formula?
    Like some kind of corporate sabotage??
    The formula was burnt in the grate of an office fireplace never to be know again.......
    Must....smell......Good!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post

Glad you like it, I own both and while I like the vintage better...there is really not much difference at all between the two. The reformulation is slightly sweeter and weaker but they smell nearly identical. What batch do you currently own?

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Glad you like it, I own both and while I like the vintage better...there is really not much difference at all between the two. The reformulation is slightly sweeter and weaker but they smell nearly identical. What batch do you currently own?
    My two bottles were manufactured July 2011 (1U01)

When you have experienced the vintage it is hard to like a lesser version of it no matter how well done. And this is because you just cannot help comparing them.

I've never smelled the vintage Intense, but have smelled the vintage Homme, and the reformulated Intense.

Having done all that, I assume that I may be one of the few who prefers the reformulated "less makeup-y" version of DHI....but the reformulation still wasn't quite enough to make it FBW to me...too much synthetic vetiver and "gasoline leather"
    amidst the nice gourmand/woody/floral notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlight View Post
    In this reply lies the whole psychological part of this debate :
    A large component of an olfactory experience is in your mind and is swayed by your emotions, always will be and never changes.

Apart from certain chemicals becoming outlawed as does happen why would a company re-formulate a frag?
    They certainly do not want to alienate their customer base after all the costly marketing and product development

Someone mentioned they did not own the rights to the frags formula - as in they sold the rights to produce and market their frags to another company , that does happen with some Fashion Houses.
    Why would they get the rights back to manufacture a certain smell concoction and not the composition information?
    That's ridiculous - Dior now owns the rights to make that signature smell but not the formula?
    Like some kind of corporate sabotage??
    The formula was burnt in the grate of an office fireplace never to be know again.......
    Actually, this does occasionally happen, and isn't so ridiculous. My understanding, based on prior posts, is that DHI was originally created for Dior by an outside company. Under the parties' contract, that company (whose name I don't know) owned the formula, but exclusively licensed it to Dior to sell under the Dior name. In 2011, Dior decided to take its fragrances "in-house," meaning it doesn't want to pay a fee to a third party to continue selling any fragrance. The reformulation was done in-house, and Dior owns the new formula. This makes perfect legal sense. But again, I don't have any personal knowledge of these facts, and am just saying that if they are true, Dior's decision is understandable.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver