Code of Conduct

Default Costus smells like rubber?

I just received a small shipment of oils from Liberty Natural. One of them is Costus root which I have been wanting to get for ages. I find the smell to be strongly of rubber (natural latex rubber) plus maybe a hint of the scent of ink from a ballpoint pen. Not what I expected, but then not really sure what I expected. Is this consistent with what others have found? Or do I have a dud bottle? (I diluted to 10% but same result). I have a similar issue with spikenard. Will post a separate thread.

Default Re: Costus smells like rubber?

Costus root oil isn’t something I use - as I expect you know it is the subject of an IFRA Prohibition Standard - however I do know that the main use in perfumery was as a fixative and it isn’t generally regarded as smelling very nice on it’s own. You might find it useful to have a look at the organoleptics section of the Good Scents Company page on costus root.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I love the smell of Costus,and think it a great shame that it has been restricted/banned by IFRA. Costus Oliffac used to be a pretty good substitute but it has recently been reformulated ( Oakmoss and/or Nitromusks) and is now not so good. To me Costus has a sweaty fatty animalic character, and has been described as the smell of wet dog. It is very useful is duplicating the smell of natural musk, and Nitromusks. I have even used a touch in Lily (not Muguet) and Hyacinth accords.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    To me Costus has a sweaty fatty animalic character, and has been described as the smell of wet dog.
    Personally have a hard time understanding how that could be a pleasant smell.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally have a hard time understanding how that could be a pleasant smell.
    You have to be there! Try and get hold of some, and smell it. Maybe it's me, but I really like it.

Beautiful and extremely useful substance, skin-like, green musk. It's just really sad we can't use it. A current perfume I'm working on contains it anyway. I'll just substitute it out when I sell it in a context where IFRA matters. I hear PA's synthetic is acceptable, but you know how that goes...

I think IFRA is over biased toward skin allergies as being the greatest evil known to physical health; as that is like the only problem you get with most natural substances, as opposed to cancers, birth defects, and the like. It's a shame, as costus has been used steadily from biblical times (some believe it to be the substance used to anoint Jesus, that or spikenard), and only now is it prohibited. If you get a rash, just don't use the product. No harm done. As opposed to cancer creepin up on you and kiling you, at least you know immediately with a skin allergy and have the opportunity to discontinue use with no further harm. OK, done ranting now. I'm biased.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 16th April 2013 at 07:59 PM.