Code of Conduct

Default Oud: Creed v Tom Ford

Which Oud do you prefer? Creed Royal Oud or Tom Ford's private blend oud?

I really like Creeds version, as it's not too heavy, but I've heard negative comments about it's projection after the first hour or so.

Are there any good oud EDPs which aren't too heavy out there which are less expensive than Creed/Tom Ford?

Default Re: Oud: Creed v Tom Ford

Hi and welcome to basenotes.

I am not keen on either of them but would go for the Creed out of the two. M7 would be a good introduction to a affordable fragrance with the Oud note in.

Sur la Plage

Tom Ford Oud Wood by a large margin over Creed Royal Dud.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Creed Royal Oud

Royal Oud is the better fragrance.

Why So Serious?

Out of the two i prefer Royal Oud, only wished it lasted longer like most Creeds out there.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

I like Royal Oud better, too, but the longevity is not good. I wore it last night, and after only a couple of hours in, it was already fading. It's rather surprising because when you're putting it on, it smells like one of those colognes that you better not get too aggressive with. But when it's there, it's very nice.

Banned

Red Aoud by Montale - Upon application, an explosion of warm and vibrant, red pepper, coupled with the mustiness of aoud and a lovely, rich, red, fully-bloomed rose, with faint, lemony pixies flitting about, bestir for recognition. This vivacious blend frolics to the middle. Heaps of saffron, with its earthy and dusty floral aspects, tame the adventuresome pepper and rose, aided by a muted, yet biting, anise from the keen cumin, and further assisted by a winsome mysore sandalwood, which imparts its buttery and sweet woodiness. This sensuous melange covorts with the majical aoud, giving rise to hints of an inoffensive powderiness as well as a delicious cocoa, and flows to the awaiting base. Here, in the capable base, as the beautiful rose fades away, the drenched, citrusy greenness of haitian vetiver, empowered by the enabling orris, steps forward to morph the melange aforementioned into a delectable, chocolate drydown. This sexy and potent composition has very good longevity, 10-13 hours, and projection.

Banned

CREED Royal Oud by a large margin over Tom Ford Oud Wood.

and i like Oud Wood...

I vote for Tom Ford Oud Wood. I prefer its darker woods and mysterious character. I found Creeds Royal Oud ok but it has a laquered spicy feel which did not inspire me.

I would not bother with either. Tom Ford scents have a habit of barely lasting two hours and I find Creed quite vulgar and cheap smelling, yet both are expensive. You could do worse than trying Habit Rouge, Chrome by Azzaro, or Terre D'Hermes, by Hermes.

I agree with the above. Creed smells vulgar, and not full and luxurious, rather watery and "cheap". Tom Ford's is simplistic and acceptable whilst not having great longevity. I'm on an introductory oud hunt as well, but I know by now that these two brands, are far from the best. Even Montale can produce a better oud.

If no real oud oils were available I'd get either By Killian's Pure Oud or just a Surrati's knock-off of Oud Wood or Black Aoud, to their credit they are every bit as atrocious as the originals but more powerful. But it puzzled me to no end why anyone would blow hundreds of dollars on the various watered-down overhyped "ouds" that have not a drop of actual oud in them. The only reason all these "ouds" share a similar note is because their key ingredient - "precious mysterious oud" came in the same industrial aluminium container stamped Firmenich or Givaudan. Most people who seriously consider dropping $200-$500 on an "oud" from Creed et al obviously can afford to get a bunch of samples of the real pure oils (AgarAura's samples are small and affordable and those "expensive" 0.5ML samples from Oriscent will last for many weeks if not months!)

Prefer the Tom Ford, but agree that M7 is very worth trying. It's essentially a Tom Ford creation, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by frostycitrusguy View Post
    I find Creed quite vulgar and cheap smelling, You could do worse than trying Chrome by Azzaro
    Ahh the gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    But it puzzled me to no end why anyone would blow hundreds of dollars on the various watered-down overhyped "ouds" that have not a drop of actual oud in them.
    I think thats an easy one, Very few people in Europe and North America/Canada would find pure oud wearable in a social environment.
    Last edited by Kron; 6th January 2012 at 11:38 PM.

I hate M7, but I kind of liked Creed's Royal Oud when I sampled it on my wrist in the store... been debating a bottle purchase for a while now. Initially I didn't like Royal Oud, but after an hour or so, it really started to shine for me.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I think thats an easy one, Very few people in Europe and North America/Canada would find pure oud wearable in a social environment.
    I thought so too, Matt, before I got familiar with the really good ouds of Indonesian, Cambodian, Chinese and Thai origins. I assure you that I get complimented on ouds way more than I do on even on the best "regular" fragrances in my collection. And that by people who have never even heard of oud!

Oud is the most misunderstood olfactory note in the world, but that's only because most people never actually tried good oud and are only familiar with synthetic pseudo-ouds or at best with some low-grade blended and often adulterated oils sold by Ajmal and others who have to cater to the taste of Gulf Arabs and must produce uniform-smelling oils in large quantities with the widest profit margin possible. Their distillers have to use huge quantities of low grade wood which is also soaked for long periods of time before distillation to facilitate higher oil yields, this incidentally creates that barnyardy or fecal scent profile that is favoured in the Gulf.

A really good artisanally extracted oud oil is like a glimpse of the transcendental - it will stop you dead in your tracks and make you start wondering feverishly what the heck that amazing aroma is. It will smell like something you've never experienced before but you will seem to recognize it from some deep memory anyway. It will touch your soul like no conventional frag ever could.

Stuff like Oriscent's Borneo 3000, Royal Kinam, Kyara Koutan or their latest Thai Encens is unlike anything else you can use as a personal fragrance. One try and it'll be impossible to go back to the likes of Royal Oud or Oud Wood - it will become painfully obvious that there's nothing "royal" or even "oud" about them.

Funny, I sampled Oud Wood today at Neiman Marcus for the tenth or so time and found that it still doesn't last more than 30 minutes on my skin so, I will go with Royal Oud.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Oud is the most misunderstood olfactory note in the world, but that's only because most people never actually tried good oud and are only familiar with synthetic pseudo-ouds or at best with some low-grade blended and often adulterated oils sold by Ajmal and others who have to cater to the taste of Gulf Arabs and must produce uniform-smelling oils in large quantities with the widest profit margin possible.
    If you are implying that the "artisanal oud" is objectively better than the oud you don't like, I'd disagree with that.
    Further, many Arabs do know their oud, and know it pretty well. You know oud when you smoke it. Arabs and to an extent Japanese smoke it a LOT. That's the smell of oud. Oil is secondary.

You can't fake bad chips even to an amateur. After that point, it's down to personal preference, and that only.

I may have misunderstood, if so, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    If you are implying that the "artisanal oud" is objectively better than the oud you don't like, I'd disagree with that.
    Further, many Arabs do know their oud, and know it pretty well. You know oud when you smoke it. Arabs and to an extent Japanese smoke it a LOT. That's the smell of oud. Oil is secondary.

You can't fake bad chips even to an amateur. After that point, it's down to personal preference, and that only.

I may have misunderstood, if so, my bad.
    Sorry if I came across as sounding dismissive of the tastes of the Gulf Arabs, that's not what I meant and indeed they are more familiar with oud, particularly with burning it, than most others. And you are absolutely correct, it'd be hard to fake the scent of burning oud, although it's not uncommon for some unscrupulous oud wood sellers in the Middle East to "enhance" their chips with liquid carbon and polish them so they appear darker and more resinated. But I was commenting on the oils rather than the smoke since the topic of this thread was a comparison between two "oud" fragrances.

I would still maintain that there is an inherent difference between large companies like Ajmal who turn out mass-produced oils with standardized scent profile (which, by definition can only be achieved through blending of different batches or qualities of oud oil) and small scale artisanal outfits run by fanatical purists like Taha of AgarAura or Ensar of Oriscent who are not bound by the need to supply large quantities of uniformly smelling oils to the mass market and thus can concentrate on seeking out the best wood, experimenting with distillation techniques and even opt for using much higher grade wood that the typical "oil grade". Such modus operandi is costly and carries huge financial risks but it also produces oils with such unique scent profiles and such nuanced aromas that the Ajmals of the world can never make due to their business model. If you've tried any of the Oriscent's oils I've mentioned in the previous post you know that there's nothing even remotely similar in Ajmal's or ASAQ's inventory which mostly is well within the typical Hindi-Camobodi paradygm which is the inevitable result of the large oud companies' way of having to remain commercially viable and competative.

Interestingly, I find that they layer together very well. My SOTD Royal Oud Wood

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, I find that they layer together very well. My SOTD Royal Oud Wood
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

I haven't tried Royal Oud so I would have to say Oud Wood. I get great longevity around 12hrs +

Royal Oud smells better but Oud Wood actually smells like oud. I'd go with RO out of the two.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

i sampled both both and preferred the woody notes in oud wood.

I have sampled the Creed and own the Tom Ford.

If I had both I would wear the Creed for office/ daytime and the Tom Ford for evening/ nights out.

Off the tiop of my head I can't think of any other Ouds that I would wear at work...

Royal Oud
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Out of those two, the Tom Ford
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Tom Ford Oud Wood, it actually does vaguely resemble Indonesian Oud blends.

And the Winner is...... It's a draw. Lady killers the both of them!

My two favorite Oud Creed and TF...I Like TF a bit more just a bit because it's lighter.

Basenotes Plus

TF Oud Wood, between these two. Creed smells more like Royal Wood, not Oud. I'd be surprised if there was even a trace of oud in RO...

Royal Oud

Holy thread revival! Anyways it's a trick question. The answer is Armani Prive Oud Royal