Code of Conduct

Default Why are samples expensive?

Since I haven't found a store that sells anything nich, I started looking into getting a handful of Creed, Bond no.9, Amouage and Serge Luten samples and was wondering why are they so expensive for a 1ml vial? I've seen them go around 10-15 bucks a pop and sometimes 20. That's insane imo. At that price I'm looking at 200-300 bucks on samples, that's absurd. I know theses are great houses but I can't blind buy these. I want to test them on my skin. What to do?

Banned

Default Re: Why are samples expensive?

I guess the obvious answer would be to petition someone here on BN to decant you a sample. That would probably be most cost-effective. Plus, Nordstrom will decant a sample of anything on the shelf for you to try out. They tend to be rather generous, but smiling and showing a little leg goes pretty far. ;-) Further, samples are expensive because people will pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    I guess the obvious answer would be to petition someone here on BN to decant you a sample.
    Sound advice.

From a non-expert viewpoint: I guess it's some of the "shotgunning" and/or "aim for the uncertain" kind of retail/marketing strategy, catering to a largely undifferentiated customer base, thus pushing up the price also partly because of uncertain mid-term and long-term substantial retail perspectives

naaahhh in poland there is one store that makes 1-2ml decants for around 3$ for a sample of any in store (creed, amouage [around 1,5ml], nasomatto [0,5ml samples] etc.) so no they are not that expensive but You didnt find right place with samples
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

There are already so many samples that BNers have here, im sure the number is staggering. I have over 200 from LS and TPC and so on. I have paid 10 for a sample before but I always want spray samples now and believe the dabbers do do the scent justice. Many post there samples in the Swap forum and maybe you can work something out with some BNers.

Adding a samples section to the sell and swap,wanted boards here on basenotes so members can trade/sell samples only would be a good idea. I mean how many of us have accumulated lots of unwanted/tried samples, most of us I bet.

Rarely do I see north of $7 for a sample.
    The $20 ones you're talking about are special cases. Their 100mk full bottle is probably double the luckyscent.com 4 to 6 dollar samples.

for swap/sale:

If you look around there are some pretty good deals on samples too. Luckyscent are well priced, Histories De Parfums will send you a set of six samples for 10 euros! I recently ordered samples from Slumberhouse for $25US and they threw in a few extras As mentioned, if you are genuinely interested (and show a bit of leg), many SA's will sling you a few - but you have to work a little for them

I agree also that many of us have hundreds of samples from various sources, and much swapping goes on around here

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Since I haven't found a store that sells anything nich, I started looking into getting a handful of Creed, Bond no.9, Amouage and Serge Luten samples and was wondering why are they so expensive for a 1ml vial? I've seen them go around 10-15 bucks a pop and sometimes 20. That's insane imo. At that price I'm looking at 200-300 bucks on samples, that's absurd. I know theses are great houses but I can't blind buy these. I want to test them on my skin. What to do?
    Where are you seeing the prices that high? EBay is my guess. If yes, what you are seeing is the reason many perfumers and SAs are often reluctant to give out samples. People go in, cadge some samples then put them up on eBay for $10-$15. Pure profit for them.

Checkout Lucky Scent, The Perfumed Court or Crystal Flacon.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Where are you seeing the prices that high? EBay is my guess. If yes, what you are seeing is the reason many perfumers and SAs are often reluctant to give out samples. People go in, cadge some samples then put them up on eBay for $10-$15. Pure profit for them.

Checkout Lucky Scent, The Perfumed Court or Crystal Flacon.
    Will check out these, hopefully they ship to Canada and would get not get hit hard on shipping, duty and brokerage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    I guess the obvious answer would be to petition someone here on BN to decant you a sample. That would probably be most cost-effective. Plus, Nordstrom will decant a sample of anything on the shelf for you to try out. They tend to be rather generous, but smiling and showing a little leg goes pretty far. ;-) Further, samples are expensive because people will pay for them.
    Really didnt really know Nordstrom did this, there's one in Michigan across the border from me maybe 40-60min away. Is there a charge, heck I'll even pay for it if I have to...Would I need to supply the vial?

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Really didnt really know Nordstrom did this, there's one in Michigan across the border from me maybe 40-60min away. Is there a charge, heck I'll even pay for it if I have to...Would I need to supply the vial?
    Most retailers do this free of charge. I've gotten free samples from Sephora, Nordstroms, Saks & Neimans. They have vials/sprayers on hand. You just have to find a nice SA to help you out. Converse with them, show interest in the products they are trying to sell. Don't show up expecting samples, they will probably make an excuse of not having any on hand.

Basenotes Plus

I've accumulated so many samples and small decants I won't use. Most of them are niche. I'm going to start giving them out with stuff I move on the sale/swap board.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock View Post
    I've accumulated so many samples and small decants I won't use. Most of them are niche. I'm going to start giving them out with stuff I move on the sale/swap board.
    Cool move.

They are not expensive to me.

You can argue that they are "marked up" much more than their larger counterparts. You're paying for the work and materials that go into it.

I didn't know they were.

I have never paid for a sample and i never will. I have all Tom Fords, Serge Lutens, Creeds, MFKs..... But i am lucky to be near multiple Nordstroms, Sephoras, Saks, Neimans, Barneys, Hermes boutiques...........

Why are diamonds so expensive?

[IMG][/IMG]
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

For Amouage samples, you're going to want to go to Parfums Raffy. They sell official spray samples that are 2ml (over twice as much as you get with Luckyscent's $4 or $5 Amouage samples) for $6 a piece. A great deal given that that is the same per mL price as most of the full bottles ($3/ml). Also, most Amouage are so strong that one or two sprays is all you need, thus you can truly "live off of samples" with them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Wow this is a great & timely topic! I'm shopping around too, but I saw that here on BN you are not allowed to post anything in the swap section unless you are a special member and have at least 500 posts... I've been looking on crystal flacon too, but there is no feedback system there so how do I know who to trust?
    Here in NL there is no such thing as free samples at Sephora's etc. as you can spray something on skin + a strip and evaluate.
    For me shipping is also prohibitive, especially as most sample companies and indie perfumers are in the US. Just the other day I wanted to sample something on Etsy and it would cost me $18 for 1 sample a .7 ml!!!

Blog Entries

Lavender,

Many of the sellers on Crystal Flacon are Basenoters (with the same user name as they have on BN) so you can look up their feedback here-- see the top of this page in the black bar where it says "community?" Click on that to search for members. On their profile page is a tab to link to their feedback page.

As far as the Basenotes marketplace forum, just to clarify, people can start a thread if they either have been members of BN for one year, or have made 500 posts, or are supporting members (i.e., BN Plus).
    But you don't have to meet these requirements to respond to a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by yrk View Post
    naaahhh in poland there is one store that makes 1-2ml decants for around 3$ for a sample of any in store (creed, amouage [around 1,5ml], nasomatto [0,5ml samples] etc.) so no they are not that expensive but You didnt find right place with samples
    Exactly. The OP needs to actually search around before commenting. There are several places to get niche samples ( and for Canadians too !). They can range from $3-$6. Sometimes a bit more for exclusives. But I really don't understand how hard it is to do a little bit of your own homework.

By the way, you can use these gals for niche :

http://www.perfumeniche.com/Home
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Lavender,

Many of the sellers on Crystal Flacon are Basenoters (with the same user name as they have on BN) so you can look up their feedback here-- see the top of this page in the black bar where it says "community?" Click on that to search for members. On their profile page is a tab to link to their feedback page.

As far as the Basenotes marketplace forum, just to clarify, people can start a thread if they either have been members of BN for one year, or have made 500 posts, or are supporting members (i.e., BN Plus).
    But you don't have to meet these requirements to respond to a thread.
    Thank you so much!!! I'm still finding my way around here