Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool water = wet wipe. What about Green Irish Tweed?

So i tried Cool water for the first time and immediately I got the sense that it smells just like those packaged wet wipes they give you on the plane to freshen up or at some restaurants.
    Nothing special to me at all.
    Now i know a lot of people say CW and GIT are similar, but apparently on Luca Turin's list Cool Water is preferred. So is Green Irish tweed worth a try or does it also have that wet wipe vibe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cool water = wet wipe. What about Green Irish Tweed?

Could you get me some of those wet wipes? They sound good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Could you get me some of those wet wipes? They sound good!
    haha i've had them on Turkish airlines and some other places.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I preferred CW.

I have tried GIT but it just would not settle on my skin properly. Whilst I can appreciate it as a scent, it didn't work for me. One of my friends described it as smelling of old mouldy crisps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    haha i've had them on Turkish airlines and some other places.
    Must be some nice wet wipes then.

No airline face cloth has ever smelled that nice to me. Maybe I should change my airline! Seriously though, GIT does smell similar to CW in the opening and certainly has the same vibe around it. GIT is much better though and develops over time. My guess is that you won't like GIT if you don't like CW.

Post Thanks / Like

The OP needs to test out some Bulgari Blu Notte pour Homme
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    haha +1 now that smells like wet wipes for sure! All I can say is to try to get a sample of GIT, everyone's nose is different.

Quote Originally Posted by randall flagg View Post
    could you get me some of those wet wipes? They sound good!
    lol!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you might not like GIT if you think CW smells like a wet wipe. Best thing to do?

Try a sample of GIT. Samples are always the smart thing. They answer your question on whether to buy it, and I can't count how much money they have saved me. There's simply no nose like YOUR nose. Order a sample online somewhere or go by a dept. store and get a free spray. But try it before buying.

Put it this way, frag heads think GIT is more refined, more complex blah blah blah while the average person thinks CW is better. They smell very similar
    GIT dirtier more natural smelling
    CW more synthetic

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think GIT is better. Both smell very good to me, but I don't own Cool Water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have them both, they are very similar in overall effect. GIT is perhaps greener, and is made of better materials. CW is much more synthetic, and can be cloying, but your average person on the street would probably smell little difference in them. I have done the side by side comparison and there are some points at which I can't tell them apart, but they do eventually differ. I doubt you'd like GIT if CW is not your thing, but this type of scent can "grow" on you, it did for me. Might be worth sampling the GIT just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Cool Water over GIT myself. GIT's violet leaves are a bit overpowering for me, plus I'm not a huge fan of ambergris, so I don't like the base as well either. (I prefer the lavender/peppermint top & musk/mossy base of CW).

But just to throw another hat into the ring, I think Bond No. 9's Chez Bond is much better than either GIT or CW. It basically smells like a sweeter, higher quality Cool Water to me. (or a more modern take on the Green Irish Tweed theme). Plus, it gets rid of GIT's sour ambergris base and replaces it with a smooth sweet "grape powder" type note, which is a big improvement for me. (but I know, some dislike it because of that).

Anyway, it's worth sampling GIT and Chez Bond, but chances are, if you really dislike one, you probably won't enjoy the others. (however, if it's subtle parts of the scents you don't like, then u may prefer one over the other).

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate all of them but second the opinion that Chez Bond is definitely similar to GIT and Cool Water. They're all (along with Drakkar Noir and many other examples) explorations of overdosing dreaded dihydromyrcenol, a cheap crappy aromachemical that Pierre Bourdon borrowed from (not surprisingly, considering its awful metallic stench) the industrial fragrance world.

And btw it's the wipes that smell like CW, not the reverse ... all those industrial fragrance guys know exactly what's going on in the world of wearables

To me Cool Water is ok but smells synthetic while GIT smells natural. My nose is pretty sensitive to the initial blast of alcohol many fragrances give off. Part of the reason I like Creed and other high end houses is b/c these blasts are limited and throughout the life of the spray they smell better and more like earth's natural creations as opposed to man made chemical compounds.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Agree with tracer...it's a similar smell, but Cool Water is very, very chemical in nature. Its opening is SO chemical and then gives way to a decent marine smell, but it's chemical in nature. I smelled the "frozen" or whatever limited edition release they had and it was MUCH better...more aquatic and less chemical.

I thought GIT was much more natural, but also doesn't stick on my skin at all. Goes away in a few hours. This is only my experience, though. I also only got a sample, so this was a few wearings.

I thought CW was a "chemical mess" at one time, but I sampled it again a few days ago and I didn't get that issue with it. Instead, the base notes seemed to have poor note separation, which I think is an indication that it was either blended badly or the ingredient quality is too low (I can't imagine a good perfumer wanting to achieve this effect). The opening had strong neroli and tobacco, which, along with the other notes, can create a nasty effect for those who are unable to detect them as individual notes (at least this is what I think my impression was when I first sampled it, a couple of years or so ago). As a "newbie," I often thought frags smelled like things such as wet naps/wipes, and there certainly could be some shared molecules, but over time you get to be able to distinguish the notes. In fact, I was surprised at how strong the tobacco note was the other day, but it's too bad it doesn't last long, or with much strength, because that might make it work. As things stand, I prefer Molto Smalto for this kind of idea.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd January 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is actually looking to get some Cool Water, I just thought I'd mention this deal I saw else where...

200ml for £32, plus 7.5% off with Quidco: http://www.escentual.com/davidoff/coolwaterman06/

Post Thanks / Like

To the people saying no or yes GIT smells like Cool Water...this is my experience with GIT. Yesterday my gf and I when to the mall and I stopped by Neiman Marcus and I finally tried Royal Oud (awesome btw) and I take a whiff of the GIT atomizer and to me it did have similarities to Cool Water. So I spray on the forearm part of my hand...the dry down is much better then cool water and it doesn't smell synthetic at all. But here's the shocker... I go through the mall and then I walk into Sephora and I'm looking at the Chanel line and a SA come up to me asking me if I need help. I was like I'm just browsing. SA said no problem, if you need anything feel free to ask...btw that's a classic scent your wearing...Cool Water is on of my favorites on a guy. I was like its GIT by Creed. At that point in time I knew why people think GIT smells like CW.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Put it this way, frag heads think GIT is more refined, more complex blah blah blah while the average person thinks CW is better. They smell very similar
    GIT dirtier more natural smelling
    CW more synthetic
    I agree with this

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I agree that you might not like GIT if you think CW smells like a wet wipe.
    That was exactly how I felt for the two hours after trying GIT today. But after the drydown, I am completely in love with GIT hahaha! Personal experience would always be the best
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

CW will smell like GIT for the first what, five minutes to me, only GIT smells more natural and not as synthetic. After that, I can clearly differentiate the two of them. I guess the two can be easily confused if you're not into fragrances, though, so if getting kudos for wearing a frag is what you're after, you could very well be better off getting some cw and 1200 other frags for the price of the GIT (pricejoke HURR).

I recently ordered a bottle of GIT myself, not really regretting it because I sampled some CW the same day, and to me it just fell through. I might have been damaged by having both Aventus and four Hermessences to use, and they've sort of put me off of some synthetics. Really looking forward to getting my GIT. The drydown is lightyears ahead of CW, which is nice, but not GIT-nice.

Bottom line - yeah, they're similar, but not at all if you know what you're smelling for ...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water - Wet Wipe
    Green Irish Tweed - Duster

Post Thanks / Like

I'm such a douche about fresh calone-based scents, but GIT is good. It is ultra bitter and crisp and moist, like fresh vegetation in dew.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Calone in this case, but dihydromyrcenol.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292...quot-fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Oh god, I have a sample of that, and if wet pipes on my airlines smelled like that, I would be jumping out the plane door the moment I smelled it.

Post Thanks / Like

Most packaged wet wipes I've used have reminded me of 4711.

Renato

If you hate Cool Water don't go near GIT it's basically the same smell.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The more I wear GIT, the less it makes me think of CW. GIT has violet and violet leaf on sandalwood and ambergris. Cool Water has none of those notes. I will concede that if Creed made flankers in EDT form, Cool Water would probably be GIT's flanker. Good thing Creed doesn't make flankers like pretty much every other house out there.

Please, in the future, before making these kinds of claims, just wait for the drydown! LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

99% of my GIT liking comes because of the drydown and Cool Water can't compare with that a bit. So just get GIT and enjoy.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    If you hate Cool Water don't go near GIT it's basically the same smell.
    +1 ... I've done a side-by-side comparison of the two: sprayed GIT on one forearm and CW on the other. They both smelled almost exactly alike. What's even more interesting, I asked a few people which forearm smelled better (without telling them which is which), and all of them chose the forearm that had CW sprayed on it. Amazing how one can be bought for around $20 and the other costs around $150+.

It's kind of frustrating, GIT is one of the most hyped fragrances and I can't seem to see why.

My guess is that you won't like GIT if you don't like CW.
    That's my guess too, ignoring dry down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    +1 ... I've done a side-by-side comparison of the two: sprayed GIT on one forearm and CW on the other. They both smelled almost exactly alike.
    One day you will do what I did - and ask yourself how you could ever have made the statement you have made above, and in print - what were you thinking?

Fortunately, my equivalent statement to yours is now buried so far in among so many comments on GIT, that it would be a needle in a haystack job trying to find it.

The two actually smell nothing alike.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I agree that you might not like GIT if you think CW smells like a wet wipe. Best thing to do?

Try a sample of GIT. Samples are always the smart thing. They answer your question on whether to buy it, and I can't count how much money they have saved me. There's simply no nose like YOUR nose. Order a sample online somewhere or go by a dept. store and get a free spray. But try it before buying.
    +1 ...

Post Thanks / Like

i still must try GIT i'm sure the synthetic nature of Cool water is what gave me that cheap wet wipe feeling. i've read git described as deep and bitter green which sounds very appealing to me. cool water was a bland head ache inducing chemical green that really smelled like a certain wet wipe!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I found GIT just about as sweet as CW in the opening at least

I mean fair you don't like it, but GIT/Cool Water are really in the same class as Grey Flannel, a timeless classic.

I don't know, I can easily tell the differences between the two. You can tell there is quality put in GIT compared to cool water. The drydown is much smoother and more elegant as well...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    One day you will do what I did - and ask yourself how you could ever have made the statement you have made above, and in print - what were you thinking?

Fortunately, my equivalent statement to yours is now buried so far in among so many comments on GIT, that it would be a needle in a haystack job trying to find it.

The two actually smell nothing alike.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the two smell nothing alike, but I concur with Renato on this in a big way. Compare the drydowns of these scents, and they indeed smell quite different, with very peripheral similarities. To me, Cool Water resembles GIT only in its first two minutes on skin, and only in a very superficial way, like someone photocopied the general scent profile of the Creed and taped it to the Davidoff scent.