Code of Conduct

Default I'm just about 20... Never wore cologne before... Suggestions?

Hello members of bassnotes I've joined this site after seeing many useful threads on here, so I decided to join and see what else I could learn.

I always liked keeping myself fresh and clean. I used to think cologne wasn't necessary etc. I just showered, used deodorant.

But, recently I've taken a severe liking to cologne. I love the bottle designs, I love the unique fragrances, I love the different ways the scents are used.

---------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I was curious as to what you think would be good suggestions for a white (Italian/irish) young male (assuming every little thing counts when it comes to the chemistry of the scent)

Here's the ones I've tried on -

I've been to macy's a few times. I've tried obsession, eternity, 1 million by Paco Rabanne, and they just don't do "it" for me. They're okay, I didn't really like the grapefruit and potent smell of 1 million. To bitter, felt like my stomach was being gripped.

Euphoria for men by CK was all right, but too flowery I think... Lasted forever on my skin which was kinda nice.

I really liked John Vavartos (original) but I think I'm too young for that smell. While it does smell good with my skin, and people thought it smelt nice, I don't know

The people at the store suggested Armani, CK, Gucci... But I don't know.

I don't really want to try Acqua di gio because it's so popular and common, that like if I wear it, basically people would think (the last 10 guys I did smelled just like you!), the same with CK one. I haven't tried these, and that's the reason why. I kind of prefer a unique smell.

Also, I did spray 2 Armani's on paper. The original, and the sport. One smelled just like lemon up soda, and the other had a hint of "funk" in there... I didn't try it on but maybe I should. I don't know.

What would you suggest? I like masculine type scents, warm scents. I'm open to anything, but I'm not sure if I'd like something TOO spicey, or TOO sweet/flowery.

I'm considering ordering B*men online to try it out, I want to try seduction in black (not sure if that's good), I'd like to try Kiton Black (can't find it anywhere). I heard Banana republic slate is good... Are these out of my age range? I'm not a player using this as a means to score, but I do love having a good scent and being more attractive in the smell aspect.

212 Men
    Seduction of Black
    Crush Curve
    Intamately Beckham
    Black XS paco rabanne
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One
    platinum Egoiste
    The Dreamer

Those sound cool (I have yet to try any of those).

I apologize for typing such a long post, I'm just having a hard time picking what I think is best... The sad part is I can't try these out since the stores don't have a lot of them in stock

But yeah don't be afraid to tell me "NO WAY" about a scent, and also to suggest another. THank you!!

Default Re: I'm just about 20... Never wore cologne before... Suggestions?

212 Men
    Seduction of Black
    Crush Curve
    Intamately Beckham
    Black XS paco rabanne
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One
    platinum Egoiste
    The Dreamer

welcome, those are pretty solid choices but personally i wouldnt go with D&G the one it doesnt last long and doesnt project well, i love the dreamer and platinum egoiste is great, try fahrenheit by dior as its very unique. Dont listen to the people who work at the department stores they dont know shit about the fragrances and will try to steer u into the new releases which are terrible nowadays.

As you start, you should smell a lot - taste changes quite a bit at the beginning. You are not used to most smells, so at first certain things could be overwhelming, or strange, but then you may start liking them. Just like with food.

I also dislike aquatics (like Aqua di Gio); those in your set are pretty popular, and worth trying, though I would recommend that you also check something more intriguing. For instance, Bulgari Black (with its rubber note). Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the platinum. I think it's available at Bloomingdales, but not at Macys), with its warm sandalwood. Or Dior homme (iris-coffee-musk). Or, more avant-garde, some of the Lush fragrances like Breath of God (weird mix of fresh vetiver and smoke).

That's just to get you acquainted with different styles. In the end, it's up to you what you like to wear.

cacio

Welcome!

No magic formula.

Just try and sample. Wear what you like!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

See if you have a Sephora around, better SAs and 3 free samples...

Don't blind buy b*men!

Try everything. Be slow to buy. Read lots of reviews. Notice the notes in various perfumes. Use both your arms as a palette when you're trying on frags so that you can see how several things at a time smell on the skin over a period of hours. Take notes. Give things several wearings before you decide. Enjoy!
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Welcome. Perhaps Burberry London or Bleu de Chanel might work for you.

Thanks Hednic, and Primrose
    and also for all who replied.

well B* men is discontinued... So it's near impossible for me to smell it without blind buying...

Has anybody had experience with Banana Republic slate?

Also, are there branches for cologne?

Like there's Aquatics, is Spicey another branch? Or Leathers? Hmm...

i think you will like the less lemony and fresh, typical guy scents. Check out the genre "oriental fougere" it is my favorite

Banned

always spray on your skin when trying a fragrance, and wait for the fragrance to develop ... the initial smell (top notes) are a way to get you to buy a fragrance quickly, but may not reflect the true composition ...

of the ones you listed as potential tries, only Black XS by Paco Rabanne is worth further investigation, but it may be too spicy and sweet for you ... I would certainly try Roadster by Cartier ... a fresh, non-toothpasty mint, really a dark, subdued mint, which duets with a fresh, green fougere ... excellent quality and versatility ... very good sillage (your scent trail left behind) and longevity ...

Quote Originally Posted by UNCAlumni2009 View Post
    Don't blind buy b*men!
    xD
    I did , but im nuts ...for real!
    Edit: Anyway I dont think its that weird.... A*men you should be more careful about really. But yeah maybe to literally, especially in the first couple of hours if one or two sprays to many is used it really is a headturner then. Long time since I wore it though.

Sound Scents

I confess I am not a fan of any scents on your list to try, but that is just me... As for your experience with John Varvatos, if you like it do not worry about what age group it was targeted for... that is irrelevant as anyone from any age group can wear any scent. If you like the smell (and as an added plus, you said others around you liked it too), you may have already found a good contender.

Others to give a sniff if you care to are the original Polo, Eau de Santal by Floris and He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by DSquared2.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I disagree with those who say that those on your list are not worth trying. You are new to the game - EVERY scent is worth trying. Don't force yourself to like something just because it is "Basenotes approved" and don't try to convince yourself you dislike something just because it gets negative reviews here or on Fragrantica or is "too common" or is by a "lesser brand" (eg: Hugo Boss).

Try everything you can. When you're at the store, spray a bunch on paper, and pick the one that is most interesting to you on paper and spray only that one on skin (preferably on your chest or however you normally wear scent) and then leave and evaluate the scent for the rest of the day. While it's tempting to spray many different scents all over your arms, you ultimately end up ruining your ability to properly evaluate any one of them.

As you find some likes that way, come back here and make a new thread or post in this one and we can help steer you to scents that you may like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

D & G The One
    Versace Eau Fraiche and Dreamer
    Boss Bottled

Carolina Herrera - 212 Men
    Versace - Blue Jeans

Haha thank you SculptureOfSoul, I certainly will!

However, all I seem to come across is Burberry brit/touch. All Calvin Klein, Armani, Black by kenneth Cole (how is that line?) Aramis (no good LOL) Bvlgari. THe Bvlgari original was pretty nice. I haven't tried all of the scents within those brands but... I don't know I'd like to try out other stuff. I like in a rural area and the closest places that sell colognes are inside of malls (which is Macy's mostly) So, I see Ed Hardy, one million, euphoria (which isn't bad, but after a couple hours it smells like a really sweet syrup on me and hurt my head which is a shame) PI etc. I checked walmart LOL, they usually have Rocawear, Cool water, Tim McGraw stuff... Usher.... meh

It seems like I'm forced to blind buy :/