Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Noir de Noir

I have been sampling this for the last week or so and it truly is amazing imo. I can't find a flaw with this one! First thought it might of been a bit too fem, but you can toss that idea out the window, this stuff is just sexy as hell and my favorite by far from the Private Blend line. I was reading reviews over at Fragrantica and this post sums it up from a member there. It's a long read, but felt it was awesome write up. This and MFK LNPH are my two go too rose scents, and i can't wait to add this to my collection.

THAT GUY...

Do you know the sort of fellow I'm talking about? He's the one that came late to the party, and sits in the corner, comfortably surveying the room.

There's a magnetic quality about him, though at the same time it's difficult to put your finger on just what it is about him that's so striking in particular. He doesn't have to speak much, he makes no attempt at flirtation, he's not flashy, and the only thing that shows on his face is an occasional smirk. Possessing a dark quality about him that's difficult to place, yet all the while he makes no great show of it.

However, the fact is that all the women in the room are aware of his presence, and take a momentary chance to look in that guy's direction whenever they think he might not be looking back. When he stalks by, right when they think they're safe, and won't be seen, they'll flash their pupils up at him. Whenever the man that they initially came with turns his head away from them, they'll risk a quick look in that guy's direction. Whenever that guy makes eye contact, they grasp at their own boyfriend's hand more vigorously than before, as a way to reassure themselves that they really are content. Which they are.

Aren't they?

He may have come alone, and he may leave alone, but he's put his fingerprint on the gathering either way.

The girls have their obligations to remain with their dates, but unbeknownst to them, that guy accompanies them from the congregation. Though he may not be there in body, he'll linger in the memory of the women that he's been in the presence of. When their man asks them what they thought of the party, their first thought will be to where that guy sat. As her boyfriend rides with her, she'll continue to think of all the positive qualities she sees in her current relationship, and how great her current man is, even though these weren't the sort of things she had to affirm for herself before the party.

But when her boyfriend leans in for the goodnight kiss, she's no longer his solely. She remembers when that guy walked past her, what it felt like to be that close to him, the smell as he passed her by, as she now begins to wonder, "Would his lips feel like this?"

That guy has had many faces, and has smelled of many things, but the only scent that truly incarnates everything that he is, can only truly be fully embodied in Noir de Noir. It strikes as keenly and as sharply as his demeanor does, and takes captive before most are even aware. Many will scratch their heads, and say they don't understand why he's so appealing, but his shadowy allure remains whether one "gets it" or not.

Do you know what guy I'm talking about? Have you seen him? Have you been jealous of him?

Have you been him?

Do you want to be him?

Why not start? You now know what his scent is. Start from here. See where it takes you.

(I'll leave the note breakdown, longevity, and projection sections to others with better noses, as it really is impossible to accurately depict what this smells like just by listing the components IMHO. Smell it and you'll understand.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir de Noir

I dont who this guy is your talking about, but Noir de Noir is my favorite of the Private Blends. So dark and earthy and sexy. My gf loves it.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I dont who this guy is your talking about, but Noir de Noir is my favorite of the Private Blends. So dark and earthy and sexy. My gf loves it.
    lol it was just a write up that thought was well done, not your typical "review". Glad to hear that it's well received by women, at least in your world.

Post Thanks / Like

haha i know. If NdN makes you feel like that THAT guy then you better get some more fast!
    you could give that write up to an ad agency and they could make a great commercial w it. in black and white and at the end a woman w a sexy french accent says "Tom Ford, Noir de Noir"
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

haha i know. If NdN makes you feel like that THAT guy then you better get some more fast!
    you could give that write up to an ad agency and they could make a great commercial w it. in black and white and at the end a woman w a sexy french accent says "Tom Ford, Noir de Noir"
    Actually, that would be an awesome commercial! Yea, i don't think it makes me feel like that guy exactly, but i feel the fragrances is mysterious, dark and sexy...so yea, maybe i am that guy

I am on a split for 50mls of this stuff, just waiting for it to fill up!

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed a great perfume. Rose and chocolate is an intriguing idea. I am looking forward to smelling two other supposed rose-chocolates, 100 % Love, and JAR Bed or roses (I must have actually smelled the JAR, but my nose was knocked off by some other JARs, so I cannot report).

Of course, no matter what it smells, the type of guy who wears JARs will also attract all the females in the crowd. Thanks to his wallet, of course. While not exactly cheap, the guy who wears TF will still have to work with his magnetism (so on with that gym work).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I cannot help. For french or the italian BNers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwGSe5Romk

Aznavour's song (originally in french, Et mois dans mon coin) describes the situation imagined by persianprince, but from the point of view of the poor boyfriend (hence the sadness). The sketch is played by two famous Italian comedians, Raimondo Vianello (center) and Sandra Mondaini (left), who were in fact husband and wife - hence the fun...

Of course, without understanding the words, the scene makes little sense.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Noir de Noir
    -- my favorite rose scent, along with Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree; it will be my next purchase as well.

Post Thanks / Like

is this legal?
    nope, not at all.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

I personally think Noir de Noir is overated, it is a great scent, however, it smells almost identical to West Side by Bond No 9. Very little creativity invested in the scent!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not blown away by this - add to the fact I think it's too feminine for me, plus overpriced = will not be buying this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I personally think Noir de Noir is overated, it is a great scent, however, it smells almost identical to West Side by Bond No 9. Very little creativity invested in the scent!
    My girlfriend owns a bottle of West Side. Though, I really like it, I don't find it similar to Noir de Noir at all. West side is more of a musky, vanilla, ylang-ylang scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Noir de Noir is great and the person who wrote that review inspired me to check it out.

Note to OP, perhaps just send a quick message to him (he is a cool guy btw), and let him know you posted his review here. He put a lot of effort in it and it would be cool for him to know that it is being appreciated elsewhere as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    My girlfriend owns a bottle of West Side. Though, I really like it, I don't find it similar to Noir de Noir at all. West side is more of a musky, vanilla, ylang-ylang scent.
    They walk the same path, but you're right, West Side is lighter whilst NdN is a darker entity and thus 'different' in the sense that it's more mysterious imo.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to sample Histoires de Parfums 1969 before you pull the trigger on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

A scent that wowed me at first, but got too feminine for me during the drydown...

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    Noir de Noir is great and the person who wrote that review inspired me to check it out.

Note to OP, perhaps just send a quick message to him (he is a cool guy btw), and let him know you posted his review here. He put a lot of effort in it and it would be cool for him to know that it is being appreciated elsewhere as well.
    Yea, for sure, it was a great write up and i didn't catch his name but i'll go back and send him a message.

I like the op's review much better than the cologne itself.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Wore the rest of my sample to work today and loving it! I'm 5-6hrs into my day and the scent is still strong which is what i love about the TF private blends, all have great longevity and projection. My 50ml botttle comes in tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled this properly for the first time the other day, and was very impressed (more so than with amber absolute, which I sampled at the same time). My only reservation is the femininity that others have referenced. I know that not everyone subscribes to this categorisation of scents, but I'm afraid for me it was one of my first thoughts with NdN. I've got more to wear, so we'll see..........

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I sampled this properly for the first time the other day, and was very impressed (more so than with amber absolute, which I sampled at the same time). My only reservation is the femininity that others have referenced. I know that not everyone subscribes to this categorisation of scents, but I'm afraid for me it was one of my first thoughts with NdN. I've got more to wear, so we'll see..........
    Give it some time, the opening can come across this way, however as the scent drys down it becomes darker, and imo more masculine.

I cannot say I have seen "this guy." If he existed, I certainly would not want to be him. Weakening a dozen relationships in the manner described sounds rather impolite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Give it some time, the opening can come across this way, however as the scent drys down it becomes darker, and imo more masculine.
    I often blend a spray of NdN with a spray of Tuscan Leather.

Trust me, it converts unisex to masculine instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post

Thanks for the shout out dude. BTW, I got your PM, but I just got back from the US today, so I'll respond to it soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    You may want to sample Histoires de Parfums 1969 before you pull the trigger on this one.
    IMO the two smell almost nothing alike, but I think that 1969 is fantastic either way. I'd gladly own both, but I'd easily spring for Noir de Noir over 1969 of the two if I had to buy just one. Good suggestion though, and worth checking out.

Bottme shoudl be here any minute Will be wearing this out tonight

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One smooth sexy frag...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

@Partario - Aweome review brotha!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i own a bottle and consider it from first sniff as one of the sexiest, most alluring and provacative frags ever.

it literally gags my wife though. she has told me specifically to stop wearing it. i don't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    i own a bottle and consider it from first sniff as one of the sexiest, most alluring and provacative frags ever.

it literally gags my wife though. she has told me specifically to stop wearing it. i don't understand that.
    Sorry to hear that, wore this last night and had great feedback from the two women i was with. But it's defintely not your typical frag so i can see some not liking.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Noir de Noir. The dry down is really nice: sweet & chocolaty. I'm not sure whether I like this more than Tobacco Vanille though. I do know that Noir de Noir is more feminine, but also more versatile.

To be honest, if I had to buy a bottle of just one of them, not sure which I'd choose. I'd probably lean more towards Noir de Noir because of the versatility factor.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I love Noir de Noir. The dry down is really nice: sweet & chocolaty. I'm not sure whether I like this more than Tobacco Vanille though. I do know that Noir de Noir is more feminine, but also more versatile.

To be honest, if I had to buy a bottle of just one of them, not sure which I'd choose. I'd probably lean more towards Noir de Noir because of the versatility factor.
    I liked TV and am still in the process of testing it to see if its something i need, however, it seems to bore me a bit, not sure if this is due to other scents having a similiar vibe (Pure Havane, Back to Black). It's just a bit too linear , and gets sweeter on my skin as it progresses, so it's not as masculine as many make it out to be, well nont on my skin at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I liked TV and am still in the process of testing it to see if its something i need, however, it seems to bore me a bit, not sure if this is due to other scents having a similiar vibe (Pure Havane, Back to Black). It's just a bit too linear , and gets sweeter on my skin as it progresses, so it's not as masculine as many make it out to be, well nont on my skin at least.
    Tobacco Vanille's tobacco note is very smooth, while Back to Black's becomes sharp from its middle stage; and there's barely any tobacco in Pure Havane.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Tobacco Vanille's tobacco note is very smooth, while Back to Black's becomes sharp from its middle stage; and there's barely any tobacco in Pure Havane.
    Everything stated is true, i'm just trying to see if I like TV enough to justify the price when i have these other options that i enjoy. I do agree TV is much smoother and better quality.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking of what to layer NdN with to take off that fem edge... I'm thinking some kind of gourmand incense like Kyoto. Any other ideas? (I saw the Tuscan Leather rec above)
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post

I have both, but I think I'd go with Noir de Noir over TV if I had to choose...although, if we're choosing Private Blend scents, I'd take my Amber Absolute and maybe even Italian Cypress over TV as well...all good fragrances. There are only a couple from this line that I don't like.