Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why men like to talk about fragrances.

Just noticed the male forum is boasting 60000 replies and the female only 13000.
    Do women use sites other than Basenotes, is the use of perfume more "innate" and matter of fact than for men? Is it just a particularly male thing to discuss scents?

Default Re: Why men like to talk about fragrances.

Basenotes started as a site devoted only to men's fragrance, and the membership has continued to reflect that. Most other perfume sites are used primarily by women.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Basenotes started as a site devoted only to men's fragrance, and the membership has continued to reflect that. Most other perfume sites are used primarily by women.

Thanks. I guess that makes perfect sense.

Men tend to dont talk about colognes in real life for the manlyness, so its a scape!

Ahahaha, i dont know why, but i think the men use the interwebs SO MUCH MORE than the women

There more female lurkers than male lurkers - online.

for swap/sale:

That's it.

every 2 weeks the same exact thread

Here I could chat all day , in the real world it's private and not something I talk about to many people

^Also a good point. I don't know anyone else in real life who shares this hobby.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

So this is something like Alcoholics Anonymous...

I realized that before also. I came to this realization. I only know one female that is somewhat into perfume. Most of them are into makeup and may one 1-4 perfumes that are designer mass marketed types. They wouldn't be caught dead wearing Shalimar or Chanel no 5.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Exactly!

Or rather somewhere to discuss drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Here I could chat all day , in the real world it's private and not something I talk about to many people

Same here.

Because it's forbidden. It should be women topic of conversation. Shhhh...
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

The Ernie Gallo Fragrance Abuse Clinic forum at Basenotes is the part which is most similar to Alcoholics Anonymous. It's where people confess their sins, how fragrance sampling/fragrance buying has become a disease etc. Unlike AA though, many members try persuade them that it's not a sin or a disease at all, and that they lead perfectly happy lives despite having even more scents than the person who has the "disease".

You'll notice one big difference between the men and women's forums. The men's forum has a lot more discussion on performance characteristics of a scent, rather than just how it smells e.g. longevity, endurance, sillage, loudness, perception to others (compliment getting ability), effectiveness (in projecting an image at job interviews, landing women etc).
    Regards,
    Renato

because they can flock into any stores anytime & talk to people in flesh while testing the juices with their friends sisters mothers etc, and most definitely there are more women's perfume in the market with all variety of scents available than the number of men with perfume hobby. not too mention cosmestics, clothes, jewelries, accessories, etc. they talk a lot, just not in BN, since there's not much point typing when they can chat with their mouth.
    it's only logical, you know.

Everyone already knows I'm a wine geek. I figure they don't need to know about every other hobby I have, especially when none of them are into fragrances.

Dependent

I have one friend really into fragrances -that I actually got to join BN here - and it's like we're spewing out basenotes threads frequently when we talk to each other. Then I have another friend who is so-so into fragrances - again... I'd like to take credit ) - but he has a harder time carrying a conversation on this.

But as far as women, every single one I know doesn't care; they take a look at my collection are immediately overwhelmed and just don't care too much. In their eyes, they see that it's almost an obsession for me but I like to call it a hobby.

My theory: men like to know how things work. Popular Mechanics magazine, for example - for guys who want to know how things work. Basenotes is like the "how things work" of the fragrance world. We find it highly informative. Plus, there's a lot of camaraderie and interesting discussion going on here. We got lucky - a bunch of guys who write very well about fragrance. Full of fun and engaging stuff - lists, contests, synchronized wears. It's consistently impressive - the majority of guys who provide content seem to have extraordinarily sophisticated tastes, and handsome fragrance budgets to back it all up. A fragrance marketer's dream audience, I can only surmise. Basenotes is one of the coolest, most impressive, most focused yet pleasantly unfocused social communities going. Proud to be a Basenoter. Cheers to my mates on this site who like a good fragrance discussion over a pint of Guinness or a glass of fine red wine. . . fine cognac or single-malt scotch, even, . . . we have an awful lot of fun on this site. . .

I really think this is true. We have to spread our time around other forums!
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Perhaps other women have also had their posts deleted. It's a big turn off and quite alienating, to be perfectly frank, and it definitely kept me a way as a mere "lurker" for a while. The deletion of my posts happened to me a few times, though none of my posts has ever included a profanity or anything of the sort, and my posts were considerably less harsh than many extant posts by men on the same topic ("The Holy Bible" aka "The Guide").

It is quite clear that some of the people who report posts here (and they may well be women, for all I know...) appear to have a problem with women who attempt criticism in the threads. Sad, if you ask me. But rather than leaving, I decided that to do so would be to capitulate. So here I am still posting!

Women tend to find that one fragrance and stick with that fragrance.....My Wife has 8-12 fragrances that She really Loves.....I have over 100.....My Son also has 100 or more while my Daughter In Law might have 5!!!
    Gary

Because guys want to know which fragrance is good so they can attract women and get laid...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Last edited by pluran; 4th January 2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Women tend to find that one fragrance and stick with that fragrance.....
    Funny you say that, I would have said it's the other way around. 1 fragrance for men, many more for women.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    .....My Son also has 100 or more
    Mmm... has your son ever heard about Basenotes?

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I find that odd, all the women I know can't help but -

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by sherapop View Post
    Perhaps other women have also had their posts deleted. It's a big turn off and quite alienating, to be perfectly frank, and it definitely kept me a way as a mere "lurker" for a while. The deletion of my posts happened to me a few times, though none of my posts has ever included a profanity or anything of the sort, and my posts were considerably less harsh than many extant posts by men on the same topic ("The Holy Bible" aka "The Guide").

It is quite clear that some of the people who report posts here (and they may well be women, for all I know...) appear to have a problem with women who attempt criticism in the threads. Sad, if you ask me. But rather than leaving, I decided that to do so would be to capitulate. So here I am still posting!
    Too early in them morning for me to engage in this but ill bite.
    Are you saying that the internet has less women members on forums because the women tend to get their posts deleted and are as a result put off? I doubt it. I think both men and women get their posts deleted when they dont follow said forum's policies.

In Accounting, we have black, white and gray areas. The white are clearly valid, the black are clearly invalid.
    The grey area is where personal opinion affects the outcome. Perhaps you have not used profanity but the opinion of those who make the decision are swayed in another direction.
    I support you in not leaving .
    I quiet enjoy your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I find that odd, all the women I know can't help but -
    Maybe there is an obstacle that prevents them as you say ing ?

for swap/sale:

I think a major reason is that there are more Males than Females that use online forums.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Banned

+1 ...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Are you saying that the internet has less women members on forums because the women tend to get their posts deleted and are as a result put off?
    No. I was responding to the OP, which is about basenotes. To that question, my personal experience at this particular forum seemed relevant. But thanks for your remarks.

Maybe there is an obstacle that prevents them as you say ing ?
    Nothing keeps women from

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Nothing keeps women from
    I've always found that men who complain about women talking too much are big chatty-cathys themselves.
    If you spot it, you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Possumbility View Post
    I've always found that men who complain about women talking too much are big chatty-cathys themselves.
    If you spot it, you got it.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Here one can talk about it. As a regular guy, I myself too don't feel the need to talk about frags in live with others. This is experience mostly shared here, at least for men.

Nothing keeps women from
    LOL!!!

I like to talk about fragrances because I love fragrances. They are a huge source of pleasure, enjoyment, and fun for me.

And as someone else said, I know of no one in real life who shares my enthusiasm for it, so to the intertubes I go.

I've been on Fragrantica for a long time. Lurked here for a while. Just joined and like it so far.

BTW - is a guy named Scentrist here? He's got a great blog. google that name sometime and check it out.

i probably just made myself look like a huge newb.

Puddlemonkey makes me giggle.

My favorite type of thread: talking about why we are talking about what we talk about...

Quote Originally Posted by sherapop View Post
    No. I was responding to the OP, which is about basenotes. To that question, my personal experience at this particular forum seemed relevant. But thanks for your remarks.
    Vici .

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    My favorite type of thread: talking about why we are talking about what we talk about...
    The real question is, why do men like talking about why we talk about what we like to talk about?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    The real question is, why do men like talking about why we talk about what we like to talk about?

As a woman(shock horror LOL), what I have noticed is guys have the thing about the whole is it FAKE, Serial Numbers etc. You will never get that one on female boards, we talk vintage etc but not serial numbers and which one is best by checking the numbers on the box.
    DONNA

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

True about Basenotes having started as a forum for men and there being other perfume discussion sites visited more by women than men, like Perfume of Life and Fragrantica.

I enjoy visiting the other sites but Basenotes is home base for me.

Exactly, it's not necessarily that most people are outwardly opposed to it, it's that they don't share the same passion for fragrance that we do. It's nice to be among kindred spirits.

At any rate, even if BN initially started out as a male discussion board, the willingness of male BN members to discuss fragrances is exactly the opposite of the way and frequency of men talking about fragrances outside of BN

Basenotes is the natural yang to Fragrantica's yin.

Women do most of their yapping about products related to them on 'Makeup Alley'.

+1.

Replace "fragrance collection" with "favorite sports team" and you'll understand. A certain personality type that is common in men has a tendency to love knowing everything about a certain subject, and being able to apply that knowledge and display their expertise. It's the same thing that makes a guy a good automotive mechanic (knowing all the parts numbers, what brand of oil filter is best, etc), or a history buff, or what have you.

That isn't to say that women aren't just as capable of becoming experts, its just that they don't often display their expertise, or engage in debate on a subject they consider themselves knowledgeable about, quite as vigorously as men do.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by Minaj View Post
    LOL!!!

I like to talk about fragrances because I love fragrances. They are a huge source of pleasure, enjoyment, and fun for me.

And as someone else said, I know of no one in real life who shares my enthusiasm for it, so to the intertubes I go.

I've been on Fragrantica for a long time. Lurked here for a while. Just joined and like it so far.

BTW - is a guy named Scentrist here? He's got a great blog. google that name sometime and check it out.

i probably just made myself look like a huge newb.

Puddlemonkey makes me giggle.
    Thanks, will check out Scentrists blog..

Good point Mr. super member.

I agree with you about people writing well on this site. the reviews have been educational but also good for a laugh and sometimes even poetic. People seem to be more helpful and basically good natured than I would expect too. Where is the smiley face symbol?

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    Replace "fragrance collection" with "favorite sports team" and you'll understand. A certain personality type that is common in men has a tendency to love knowing everything about a certain subject, and being able to apply that knowledge and display their expertise. It's the same thing that makes a guy a good automotive mechanic (knowing all the parts numbers, what brand of oil filter is best, etc), or a history buff, or what have you.

That isn't to say that women aren't just as capable of becoming experts, its just that they don't often display their expertise, or engage in debate on a subject they consider themselves knowledgeable about, quite as vigorously as men do.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    Isn't that something that straight men are always complaining about with their wives and girlfriends?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Vici .

Vidi.

One reason is that men talk about fragrances is perhaps that they use and pay for more fragrances than women.

It is the case that women use lots of cosmetics with an aroma, i.e. lipstick, foundation cream and so on, yet it is really only on special occasions that most really 'splash out' and crack open the good stuff.

Even then it is used somewhat parsimoniously, it seems to be more about having a major fragrance on the dressing table than actually wearing it, a sort of shield to innate femininity with a potential feel-good factor.

The cost of replacement is also a consideration, particularly so today in hard times, many hope that their man will keep them supplied or failing this that they can find their favourite product discounted at a duty free on the booze cruise or at an airport.
    Men on the other hand tend to be more expansive in this matter and many use an after shave on a regular basis and seem quite happy to pay for it.

This is more life-style ploy on the part of men with the deep sub-text of appearing attractive to women. (Here it would be interesting to understand whether the new men's fashion for the removal of certain body hairs, and at its extreme BSCs, correlates and is somehow part of men cleaning up their acts so as to be more physically attractive to what their own particular concept is of their ideal Alpha Woman).

At Christmas the big perfumiers trundle out their beautifully shot TV commercials, but who is going to the stores and actually buying the products?

It's men of course!

If men are spending hundreds of millions on fragrances each year it is no surprise that they are going to talk about it - online at least.

TBH, I don't really like discussing fragrances as much as learning about new options and passing on suggestions

This is such a funny thread as I was wondering why I don't like fragrantica nor makeupalley, waaaay too much shallow chatty for me. Here the discussion seems more intellectual, more in depth, something I like very much. It also helps that I like 'manly' fragrances more than the ones that are sold as 'feminine'. I also like the humor here
    I wish my husband would care so much for (talking about) fragrance as you do, guys

Quote Originally Posted by kinghamhouse View Post
    One reason is that men talk about fragrances is perhaps that they use and pay for more fragrances than women.

It is the case that women use lots of cosmetics with an aroma, i.e. lipstick, foundation cream and so on, yet it is really only on special occasions that most really 'splash out' and crack open the good stuff.

Even then it is used somewhat parsimoniously, it seems to be more about having a major fragrance on the dressing table than actually wearing it, a sort of shield to innate femininity with a potential feel-good factor.

The cost of replacement is also a consideration, particularly so today in hard times, many hope that their man will keep them supplied or failing this that they can find their favourite product discounted at a duty free on the booze cruise or at an airport.
    Men on the other hand tend to be more expansive in this matter and many use an after shave on a regular basis and seem quite happy to pay for it.

This is more life-style ploy on the part of men with the deep sub-text of appearing attractive to women. (Here it would be interesting to understand whether the new men's fashion for the removal of certain body hairs, and at its extreme BSCs, correlates and is somehow part of men cleaning up their acts so as to be more physically attractive to what their own particular concept is of their ideal Alpha Woman).

At Christmas the big perfumiers trundle out their beautifully shot TV commercials, but who is going to the stores and actually buying the products?

It's men of course!

If men are spending hundreds of millions on fragrances each year it is no surprise that they are going to talk about it - online at least.
    I really don't get where you get the idea that men use and pay for MORE fragrance than women. That is not true.

The cost of replacement is also a consideration, particularly so today in hard times, many hope that their man will keep them supplied or failing this that they can find their favourite product discounted at a duty free on the booze cruise or at an airport
    This is a post the really gets me. I don't mean to get upset specifically with you, but I really get peeved when people bastardize the term "hard times" and always reference todays current economic slump....yada yada....etc... I guess that is what happens when the middle class is affected by something. In the past, lower middle class and poorer people would have zero shot at owning a nice fragrance. Today you can own one for $20 ( something decent, at least). And with flee markets ....etc, you can get something used for cheap.

BTW, if you are going on a cruise or passing by duty free at the air port, it is safe to say you ( or whomever) is doing okay. It depends on your priorities.

Last point on your post, its not just men buying fragrance at Dept Shops. I see alot of women, if not more, making purchases. Actually, there are times where I would be damned if I saw anything that resembled a male at the perfume counters ( whether mens or ladies perfume counters).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    At any rate, even if BN initially started out as a male discussion board, the willingness of male BN members to discuss fragrances is exactly the opposite of the way and frequency of men talking about fragrances outside of BN
    Best post, IMO.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    My theory: men like to know how things work. Popular Mechanics magazine, for example - for guys who want to know how things work. Basenotes is like the "how things work" of the fragrance world. We find it highly informative. Plus, there's a lot of camaraderie and interesting discussion going on here. We got lucky - a bunch of guys who write very well about fragrance. Full of fun and engaging stuff - lists, contests, synchronized wears. It's consistently impressive - the majority of guys who provide content seem to have extraordinarily sophisticated tastes, and handsome fragrance budgets to back it all up. A fragrance marketer's dream audience, I can only surmise. Basenotes is one of the coolest, most impressive, most focused yet pleasantly unfocused social communities going. Proud to be a Basenoter. Cheers to my mates on this site who like a good fragrance discussion over a pint of Guinness or a glass of fine red wine. . . fine cognac or single-malt scotch, even, . . . we have an awful lot of fun on this site. . .
    Mr. Cologne, you have saved me a lot of typing. Guys love gear, and they love to talk about it. You also described what I love about basenotes. It is my favorite place on the web.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!