Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Best Tobacco Scents Out There

Great thread. I recently fell in love with Tom Ford's TV so am looking for anything close. I tried Gucci Pour Homme II which has Tobacco in it and loved it, but heard it doesn't have good projection. I can still smell TV quite well on a card I sprayed a week ago. Do either of the Creeds compare at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Great thread. I recently fell in love with Tom Ford's TV so am looking for anything close. I tried Gucci Pour Homme II which has Tobacco in it and loved it, but heard it doesn't have good projection. I can still smell TV quite well on a card I sprayed a week ago. Do either of the Creeds compare at all?
    You may want to try By Kilian Back to Black and Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Vetiver/Guerlain and Tabac Original
    The most recent Guerlain Vetiver formulation does not have the tobacco.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    C&S Cuba is convincing. This thread is making me crave a nice cigar...
    I smelled my humidor today, which is stuffed with premium smokes. If a perfumer could bottle that smell I'd pay a fortune for it, but it's just not possible. Either way, can't wait till the weather gets above freezing to light one up.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne - although I cannot claim to have as much experience as other posters.

Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

I love tobacco in a frag, but don't want to smell like I've taken up smoking. I like the Alt Innsbruck because it goes the floral route, rather than ash tray.

I have to say that I've been meaning to order a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea for an age now but not got round to it.

I really enjoy the tobacco in Guerlain's Vetiver, although it's there very much in a supporting role. (Perhaps to stop the vetiver going soapy?)

Interesting that someone mentioned Aramis Havana. I have to say that the first time I wore it I reeked of cigar as I got into bed - I expected The Boss to accuse me of smoking. But I've never since got strong tobacco from it, only finding it as an element very much down in the mix. (I often get an unrepresentative first wearing.)

Fragrances with strong tobacco notes that I've tried and liked (most of which have been mentioned)

A*Men Pure Havane: honey, vanilla, tobacco, patchouli. Very warm and golden scent, but can be too sweet or patchouli-y for some
    Versace The Dreamer: Tobacco structured with a complex herbal/floral accord and some powdery amber. Very unique and loveable scent
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: as advertised, it smells like rich tobacco and smooth vanilla with just a hint of dark spices to connect them
    I Profumi di Firenze Tabacco: Powdery tobacco flower scent kind of like The Dreamer but much higher quality and more natural... VERY rich tobacco flower scent which eases into a nice sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque: Absolutely beautiful tobacco and honey and spices, vanilla and smoke
    Serge Lutens Chergui: Tobacco forms a triangle with dry hay (coumarin) and honey, over a rich sandalwood, amber and leather base. My favorite from Lutens, and one of my favorites in my collection.
    By Kilian Back to Black: another lovely vanilla tobacco scent, sweeter, darker and less translucent than TV
    Aramis Havana: I sampled this one briefly... It surely has tobacco in it, but it is part of a larger, abstract spicy accord that is pretty darned nice IIRC
    Creed Vintage Tabarome: I got mostly talcum powder out of this one, though it had a nice tobacco, leather, and herbal aromatic component to it. Seems there are folks that really like powdery scents... if you like both tobacco and powder, and The Dreamer ain't cutting it for you, this here is your holy grail.
    John Varvatos Vintage: plummy dark coniferous woods/berries with a dollop of tobacco and leather. One of my favorite designer scents
    Last edited by vbs; 17th January 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I love tobacco in a frag, but don't want to smell like I've taken up smoking. I like the Alt Innsbruck because it goes the floral route, rather than ash tray.
    I share this sentiment and find the tobacco easily overdone e.g. D&G PH and Gucci Nobile. Perhaps smokers aren't as sensitive to this note.

Alt Innsbruck is very nice but I find it a touch ethereal. Guerlain Vetiver has the best balanced tobacco note for me. My 'reformulated' bottle still has tobacco: perhaps I got a good batch

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver has the best balanced tobacco note for me. My 'reformulated' bottle still has tobacco: perhaps I got a good batch
    I find this disappointing, my GV seems to lack anything but vetiver and some distant, wispy soap accord. I get no tobacco at all (it is the new formulation for certain). I need to try some vintage juice to see the difference
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    I find this disappointing, my GV seems to lack anything but vetiver and some distant, wispy soap accord. I get no tobacco at all (it is the new formulation for certain). I need to try some vintage juice to see the difference
    I get the same tobacco in ribbed, new and vintage bottles. It is not a loud tobacco but a well-blended, subtle one.

GV is more a victim of vintage snobbery than 'reformulation'.

Tobacco room spray by Sabon http://sabonnyc.com/aromatics/room-s...m-spray-6.html

Can also be used as an EDT.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Lots of the ones which've been said before and also: L'Eau Du Navigateur!
    And has nobody mentioned Tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Lots of the ones which've been said before and also: L'Eau Du Navigateur!
    And has nobody mentioned Tribute?
    Here - I'll do it: Amouage Tribute Attar - awesome smoky frankincense, rose and tobacco - beautiful!

Fragrances with strong tobacco notes that I've tried and liked (most of which have been mentioned)

A*Men Pure Havane: honey, vanilla, tobacco, patchouli. Very warm and golden scent, but can be too sweet or patchouli-y for some
    Versace The Dreamer: Tobacco structured with a complex herbal/floral accord and some powdery amber. Very unique and loveable scent
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: as advertised, it smells like rich tobacco and smooth vanilla with just a hint of dark spices to connect them
    I Profumi di Firenze Tabacco: Powdery tobacco flower scent kind of like The Dreamer but much higher quality and more natural... VERY rich tobacco flower scent which eases into a nice sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque: Absolutely beautiful tobacco and honey and spices, vanilla and smoke
    Serge Lutens Chergui: Tobacco forms a triangle with dry hay (coumarin) and honey, over a rich sandalwood, amber and leather base. My favorite from Lutens, and one of my favorites in my collection.
    By Kilian Back to Black: another lovely vanilla tobacco scent, sweeter, darker and less translucent than TV
    Aramis Havana: I sampled this one briefly... It surely has tobacco in it, but it is part of a larger, abstract spicy accord that is pretty darned nice IIRC
    Creed Vintage Tabarome: I got mostly talcum powder out of this one, though it had a nice tobacco, leather, and herbal aromatic component to it. Seems there are folks that really like powdery scents... if you like both tobacco and powder, and The Dreamer ain't cutting it for you, this here is your holy grail.
    John Varvatos Vintage: plummy dark coniferous woods/berries with a dollop of tobacco and leather. One of my favorite designer scents
    Well put.

I was recently wowed by Odori Tabacco and quickly purchased a full bottle of this manly concoction. It's Pure Havane for those with chest hair.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I was recently wowed by Odori Tabacco and quickly purchased a full bottle of this manly concoction. It's Pure Havane for those with chest hair.
    Does it have that sickly burnt sugar accord found in the A*Men series?

I hope not.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Really?
    Possibly with some. On the other hand, a few weeks ago other posters hailed it as a return to the vintage formulation
    As opinion is so divergent, perhaps it is best to test it yourself, like I have.

I get absolutely no talcum powder in this one at all. It's a holy grail scent, agreed. It's a unique combination of tobacco and leather with a hint of pepper. Talcum powder? Not from my flacon, and I would hope not in others'.

Parfum d´Empire Fougere Bengale

Michael Kors
    Boss # 1
    The Dreamer
    Bogart PH

Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    by Kilian - Back to Black
    Thierry Mugler - Pure Havane
    Tom Ford - Tom Ford for Men
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    Dolce & Gabanna - The One for Men
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

No one has mentioned Egoiste?????? Tsk Tsk. I get a nice dose of tobacco in that one. I haven't smelled TF TV..but Ego is a nice one.

Also, Field Notes From Paris by Ineke. Good dose of tobacco.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I smelled my humidor today, which is stuffed with premium smokes. If a perfumer could bottle that smell I'd pay a fortune for it, but it's just not possible. Either way, can't wait till the weather gets above freezing to light one up.
    Vintage Tabarome actually does have quite a nice humidor effect. You get both the tobacco and the paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I get absolutely no talcum powder in this one at all. It's a holy grail scent, agreed. It's a unique combination of tobacco and leather with a hint of pepper. Talcum powder? Not from my flacon, and I would hope not in others'.
    I don't get any talcum powder either, but perhaps what I smell as a paper accord he is smelling as talcum powder?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne - although I cannot claim to have as much experience as other posters.
    I love this one too, even as I find Vintage Tabarome altogether more complex and luxurious, the Cologne is a bit more wearable for me here in Miami, plus I'm a sucker for a good fragrance with mint. I have no idea why I don't own a bottle of this yet. I also love the tobacco note in Tribute but, like the Creed, I get only a few wears because of the S. Florida climate.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Tobacco Vanille.

Blog Entries

I have heard accolades for Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille on every forum board on basenotes. I truly don't see the obsession. On me, it smells good for 2min. then turns to pure vanilla extract, sickly sweet. I wiped it off b/c in the heat and humidity we have had this summer, it made me nauseous.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I have heard accolades for Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille on every forum board on basenotes. I truly don't see the obsession. On me, it smells good for 2min. then turns to pure vanilla extract, sickly sweet. I wiped it off b/c in the heat and humidity we have had this summer, it made me nauseous.
    I Love TV (but I do think its a little heavy on the V and not enough on the T). But, you should probably wait for the colder weather to wear it -- your experience may be much different. It is not really a warm-weather fragrance.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

I'm always amazed at the variety of experiences for a given scent.
    TV to me is long lasting linear tobacco and vanilla - that's it!
    And very nice tobacco and very nice vanilla at that

Tobacco Vanille is the only one. Bogart pour Homme is very synthic artifical plastic compared to Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Michael Kors for men.
    Quote Originally Posted by espinado View Post
    Michael Kors - Michael For Men
    Jacques Bogart - Bogart Pour Homme very good option.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    From what I have tried/own:

Michael Kors for Men
    Pure Havane, and
    Bogart Pour Homme, in that order
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Michael Kors for Men
    Havana
    Tea for Two
    Tobacco Vanille
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja View Post
    Michael Kors
    Boss # 1
    The Dreamer
    Bogart PH
    Let me add another for Michael Kors for Men

It is not only my favorite tobacco scent, but it's the one fragrance I probably wear the most during the winter months in a casual, every day and business type sense.

I love tobacco (not in my lungs anymore, but on my skin). Looks like I may have to try Michael Kors for Men!
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Lots of good recommendations on this thread so far. I'd like to add Slumberhouse Baque. It reminds me of Fumerie Turque, but Baque is less flowery and more woodsy. In other words, if somebody from the Pacific Northwest were re-working Fumerie Turque (which seems pretty close to what happened), this is what you'd get. I actually prefer Baque to Fumerie Turque, but since I already own a back-up bottle of FT, it's hard for me to justify a purchase of Baque. It's an exclusive at Indiescents.

Update: I recently went ahead and ordered a bottle of Baque. Just couldn't resist.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 3rd September 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Tobacco Vanille!

Default Tobacco,pipe smoke type scent suggestions?

Waaaay back in the early 1980s, I attended Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. Those were the days the tobacco factories were in downtown Durham. Every Fall, they would "brew" the tobacco and the most heavenly scent would cover the city. Although the recipe was highly guarded, I know from someone that worked there that there was chocolate in it as well as spices that I just don't remember. In the crisp autumn air this fragrance spelled Fall for all of us there and we'd sit outside and just inhale deep breathes.

The tobacco companies have all since closed in Durham, and most "old timers" will tell you how much they miss that scent of Fall.

I would love to find a fragrance for my DH that would capture that scent for this coming Fall as he loved it too. It was like a spiced,warm smelling pipe tobacco with a hint of sweetness. Hard for me to describe so many years later. I'll be in Vegas this weekend so I'll have access to lots of niche fragrance houses. Any come to mind that might capture that scent? thanks

Default Re: Tobacco,pipe smoke type scent suggestions?

The obvious choice is Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.
    No chocolate though.

Quote Originally Posted by srellim1 View Post
    The obvious choice is Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.
    No chocolate though.
    Yes, thanks. That one is on our list. Wondered if there were any others that might have a hint of chocolate,too? Or if someone can think of a scent to layer with Tobacco Vanille to get that fragrance?

First one that comes to mind is Histoires De Parfums 1740. you might also want to give a chance to Fumerie Turque.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Pure havane has that pipe cherry tobacco smell

Basenotes Plus

Killian's Back to Black.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Look no further.

I would also say TV is the best option but may also want to try Guerlain Vetiver and maybe even Aramis Havana, although these have a lot more going on.

Slumberhouse Baque - Baque is a warm amber tobacco flower perfume containing notes of smokey apricot, cedar, straw, vanilla, tobacco leaf, davana, ambergris tincture and parchment. Elegant, rustic, golden and warm properly sum the four corners of its tobacco and honey heart....Wearing this today actually, absolutely beautiful fragrance and very potent stuff.
    Last edited by rynegne; 21st August 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awilson529 View Post
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Look no further.
    ...and may be Tea for Two or Chergui
    Tabacco Toscano Santa Maria Novella, but may be it will be hard to find it
    Last edited by tristan1973; 23rd August 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Sound Scents

+1 Havana by Aramis
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

CK Obsession Night EdP - more masculine than the male version, and often cited for it's pipe tobacco vibe.

Odori- Tobacco

Odori
    CK One Shock
    Bogart PH
    Michael Kors
    Aramis

Might be worth checking out this thread as it may cover a fragrance not mentioned here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...ote?highlight=

Pure Havane

Bogart Pour Homme

Ones you might want to try that have pipe tobacco / sweetness:

Versace Man
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    by Kilian Back to Black
    Tom Ford for Men
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Lutens Chergui has a chocolate note along with tobacco leaf. However, I don't really get much tobacco from this and I'm not sure I'd layer it with anything...it would probably be too strong. I have Slumberhouse Baque on today and it's not really chocolately sweet, it's a honey/hay/tobacco mix...to me it almost smells like cavendish pipe tobacco...only the tobacco is anything but dark it's very light and not overbearing.

Fumerie Turque is where I get my pipe tobacco fix from.
    I've always wanted to sample Soivohle Meerschaum absolute - I've heard good things.

Puig Quorum.

Cheap as chips too - 100ml for less than £10.

Tabac by La Via del Profumo is another one worth trying.

Wow, guys!!!!! thank you sooooo much. Now have to see how many of these I can find in Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Tabac by La Via del Profumo is another one worth trying.
    Yep, this is the one you want.

Michael Kors for Men
    Burberry London for Men
    Versace The dreamer(Sweet Powdery Tobacco)
    Aramis Havana

Where do you buy Tabac? Not seeing much availability for La Via del Profumo.

John Varvatos Vintage is a nice tobacco scent with sweet undertones.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes