Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Best Tobacco Scents Out There

Great thread. I recently fell in love with Tom Ford's TV so am looking for anything close. I tried Gucci Pour Homme II which has Tobacco in it and loved it, but heard it doesn't have good projection. I can still smell TV quite well on a card I sprayed a week ago. Do either of the Creeds compare at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Great thread. I recently fell in love with Tom Ford's TV so am looking for anything close. I tried Gucci Pour Homme II which has Tobacco in it and loved it, but heard it doesn't have good projection. I can still smell TV quite well on a card I sprayed a week ago. Do either of the Creeds compare at all?
    You may want to try By Kilian Back to Black and Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Vetiver/Guerlain and Tabac Original
    The most recent Guerlain Vetiver formulation does not have the tobacco.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    C&S Cuba is convincing. This thread is making me crave a nice cigar...
    I smelled my humidor today, which is stuffed with premium smokes. If a perfumer could bottle that smell I'd pay a fortune for it, but it's just not possible. Either way, can't wait till the weather gets above freezing to light one up.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne - although I cannot claim to have as much experience as other posters.

Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

I love tobacco in a frag, but don't want to smell like I've taken up smoking. I like the Alt Innsbruck because it goes the floral route, rather than ash tray.

I have to say that I've been meaning to order a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea for an age now but not got round to it.

I really enjoy the tobacco in Guerlain's Vetiver, although it's there very much in a supporting role. (Perhaps to stop the vetiver going soapy?)

Interesting that someone mentioned Aramis Havana. I have to say that the first time I wore it I reeked of cigar as I got into bed - I expected The Boss to accuse me of smoking. But I've never since got strong tobacco from it, only finding it as an element very much down in the mix. (I often get an unrepresentative first wearing.)

Fragrances with strong tobacco notes that I've tried and liked (most of which have been mentioned)

A*Men Pure Havane: honey, vanilla, tobacco, patchouli. Very warm and golden scent, but can be too sweet or patchouli-y for some
    Versace The Dreamer: Tobacco structured with a complex herbal/floral accord and some powdery amber. Very unique and loveable scent
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: as advertised, it smells like rich tobacco and smooth vanilla with just a hint of dark spices to connect them
    I Profumi di Firenze Tabacco: Powdery tobacco flower scent kind of like The Dreamer but much higher quality and more natural... VERY rich tobacco flower scent which eases into a nice sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque: Absolutely beautiful tobacco and honey and spices, vanilla and smoke
    Serge Lutens Chergui: Tobacco forms a triangle with dry hay (coumarin) and honey, over a rich sandalwood, amber and leather base. My favorite from Lutens, and one of my favorites in my collection.
    By Kilian Back to Black: another lovely vanilla tobacco scent, sweeter, darker and less translucent than TV
    Aramis Havana: I sampled this one briefly... It surely has tobacco in it, but it is part of a larger, abstract spicy accord that is pretty darned nice IIRC
    Creed Vintage Tabarome: I got mostly talcum powder out of this one, though it had a nice tobacco, leather, and herbal aromatic component to it. Seems there are folks that really like powdery scents... if you like both tobacco and powder, and The Dreamer ain't cutting it for you, this here is your holy grail.
    John Varvatos Vintage: plummy dark coniferous woods/berries with a dollop of tobacco and leather. One of my favorite designer scents
    Last edited by vbs; 17th January 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I love tobacco in a frag, but don't want to smell like I've taken up smoking. I like the Alt Innsbruck because it goes the floral route, rather than ash tray.
    I share this sentiment and find the tobacco easily overdone e.g. D&G PH and Gucci Nobile. Perhaps smokers aren't as sensitive to this note.

Alt Innsbruck is very nice but I find it a touch ethereal. Guerlain Vetiver has the best balanced tobacco note for me. My 'reformulated' bottle still has tobacco: perhaps I got a good batch
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver has the best balanced tobacco note for me. My 'reformulated' bottle still has tobacco: perhaps I got a good batch
    I find this disappointing, my GV seems to lack anything but vetiver and some distant, wispy soap accord. I get no tobacco at all (it is the new formulation for certain). I need to try some vintage juice to see the difference
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    I find this disappointing, my GV seems to lack anything but vetiver and some distant, wispy soap accord. I get no tobacco at all (it is the new formulation for certain). I need to try some vintage juice to see the difference
    I get the same tobacco in ribbed, new and vintage bottles. It is not a loud tobacco but a well-blended, subtle one.

GV is more a victim of vintage snobbery than 'reformulation'.

Tobacco room spray by Sabon http://sabonnyc.com/aromatics/room-s...m-spray-6.html

Can also be used as an EDT.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Lots of the ones which've been said before and also: L'Eau Du Navigateur!
    And has nobody mentioned Tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Lots of the ones which've been said before and also: L'Eau Du Navigateur!
    And has nobody mentioned Tribute?
    Here - I'll do it: Amouage Tribute Attar - awesome smoky frankincense, rose and tobacco - beautiful!

Fragrances with strong tobacco notes that I've tried and liked (most of which have been mentioned)

A*Men Pure Havane: honey, vanilla, tobacco, patchouli. Very warm and golden scent, but can be too sweet or patchouli-y for some
    Versace The Dreamer: Tobacco structured with a complex herbal/floral accord and some powdery amber. Very unique and loveable scent
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: as advertised, it smells like rich tobacco and smooth vanilla with just a hint of dark spices to connect them
    I Profumi di Firenze Tabacco: Powdery tobacco flower scent kind of like The Dreamer but much higher quality and more natural... VERY rich tobacco flower scent which eases into a nice sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque: Absolutely beautiful tobacco and honey and spices, vanilla and smoke
    Serge Lutens Chergui: Tobacco forms a triangle with dry hay (coumarin) and honey, over a rich sandalwood, amber and leather base. My favorite from Lutens, and one of my favorites in my collection.
    By Kilian Back to Black: another lovely vanilla tobacco scent, sweeter, darker and less translucent than TV
    Aramis Havana: I sampled this one briefly... It surely has tobacco in it, but it is part of a larger, abstract spicy accord that is pretty darned nice IIRC
    Creed Vintage Tabarome: I got mostly talcum powder out of this one, though it had a nice tobacco, leather, and herbal aromatic component to it. Seems there are folks that really like powdery scents... if you like both tobacco and powder, and The Dreamer ain't cutting it for you, this here is your holy grail.
    John Varvatos Vintage: plummy dark coniferous woods/berries with a dollop of tobacco and leather. One of my favorite designer scents
    Well put.

I was recently wowed by Odori Tabacco and quickly purchased a full bottle of this manly concoction. It's Pure Havane for those with chest hair.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I was recently wowed by Odori Tabacco and quickly purchased a full bottle of this manly concoction. It's Pure Havane for those with chest hair.
    Does it have that sickly burnt sugar accord found in the A*Men series?

I hope not.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Really?
    Possibly with some. On the other hand, a few weeks ago other posters hailed it as a return to the vintage formulation
    As opinion is so divergent, perhaps it is best to test it yourself, like I have.

I get absolutely no talcum powder in this one at all. It's a holy grail scent, agreed. It's a unique combination of tobacco and leather with a hint of pepper. Talcum powder? Not from my flacon, and I would hope not in others'.

Parfum d´Empire Fougere Bengale

Michael Kors
    Boss # 1
    The Dreamer
    Bogart PH

Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    by Kilian - Back to Black
    Thierry Mugler - Pure Havane
    Tom Ford - Tom Ford for Men
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    Dolce & Gabanna - The One for Men
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

No one has mentioned Egoiste?????? Tsk Tsk. I get a nice dose of tobacco in that one. I haven't smelled TF TV..but Ego is a nice one.

Also, Field Notes From Paris by Ineke. Good dose of tobacco.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I smelled my humidor today, which is stuffed with premium smokes. If a perfumer could bottle that smell I'd pay a fortune for it, but it's just not possible. Either way, can't wait till the weather gets above freezing to light one up.
    Vintage Tabarome actually does have quite a nice humidor effect. You get both the tobacco and the paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I get absolutely no talcum powder in this one at all. It's a holy grail scent, agreed. It's a unique combination of tobacco and leather with a hint of pepper. Talcum powder? Not from my flacon, and I would hope not in others'.
    I don't get any talcum powder either, but perhaps what I smell as a paper accord he is smelling as talcum powder?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne - although I cannot claim to have as much experience as other posters.
    I love this one too, even as I find Vintage Tabarome altogether more complex and luxurious, the Cologne is a bit more wearable for me here in Miami, plus I'm a sucker for a good fragrance with mint. I have no idea why I don't own a bottle of this yet. I also love the tobacco note in Tribute but, like the Creed, I get only a few wears because of the S. Florida climate.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Tobacco Vanille.

Blog Entries

I have heard accolades for Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille on every forum board on basenotes. I truly don't see the obsession. On me, it smells good for 2min. then turns to pure vanilla extract, sickly sweet. I wiped it off b/c in the heat and humidity we have had this summer, it made me nauseous.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I have heard accolades for Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille on every forum board on basenotes. I truly don't see the obsession. On me, it smells good for 2min. then turns to pure vanilla extract, sickly sweet. I wiped it off b/c in the heat and humidity we have had this summer, it made me nauseous.
    I Love TV (but I do think its a little heavy on the V and not enough on the T). But, you should probably wait for the colder weather to wear it -- your experience may be much different. It is not really a warm-weather fragrance.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

I'm always amazed at the variety of experiences for a given scent.
    TV to me is long lasting linear tobacco and vanilla - that's it!
    And very nice tobacco and very nice vanilla at that

Tobacco Vanille is the only one. Bogart pour Homme is very synthic artifical plastic compared to Tobacco Vanille.