Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Tobacco,pipe smoke type scent suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Lutens Chergui has a chocolate note along with tobacco leaf. However, I don't really get much tobacco from this and I'm not sure I'd layer it with anything...it would probably be too strong. I have Slumberhouse Baque on today and it's not really chocolately sweet, it's a honey/hay/tobacco mix...to me it almost smells like cavendish pipe tobacco...only the tobacco is anything but dark it's very light and not overbearing.
    I read one review of "Back to Black" that the reviewer had layered Chergui with it and had liked the effect. Don't know if people could smell him a mile away, but I guess it would be one way to get a chocolately, tobacco fragrance.

I get a pipe smell from Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. No chocolate. Also another spiced tobacco, there is also Egoiste. No chocolate. Of course there is Pure Havane and TF Tobacco Vanille. Also, this may be more sweet than you are looking for but there is also Field Notes From Paris by Ineke. A sampler set of her creations is 25 bucks. Plus that 25 bucks goes towards a full bottle if you decide to get one.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
    Where do you buy Tabac? Not seeing much availability for La Via del Profumo.
    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=115

They will ship to US via Fedex.

pinkjewel,

as a pipe smoker for about 15 years I can only tell about
    - Michael for Men by Michael Kors
    - Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Haven't any chance to try most of niche stuff mentioned, but from what I have smelled,
    Aramis Havana, Odori Tobacco and Guerlain Vetiver have more of a natural tobacco leaf character rather than matured pipe smoking mixture.
    Versace Dreamer to my nose is just a composition of some tobacco note and some sweet and flowery notes. Interesting on its own, again it doesn't make me feel like I'm smelling pipe tobacco. BTW, yes I have smelled and smoked lots of so called Lakeland scented flakes with distinctive "cologney" character (some with rose, others with geranium and other flowery notes) from Gawith Hoggarth TT, Kendal, England. Bob's Chocolate Flake might be of interest to you.

If you have time, I'd say first go to a tobacconist shop (with a good range of bulk pipe tobacco which is sold by weight, tobacco in tins won't help you), there you pick the blend which is closest to your memories (it doesn't cost high bucks, believe me), and then go to niche boutiques with this kind of "sample" to find out a fragrance that smells close to it.
    Hope this helps.

Regards, Odor.

I'd definitely try Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It smells like golden tobacco leaves left out to try, with a touch of amber sweetness.

+1 on Kilian Back to Black, TF Tobacco Vanille, Michael Kors, Pure Havane, SL Chergui, and Odori Tobacco.

Also, you could layer one of the frags mentioned in this thread with a cocoa scent like Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 to get the desired affect. I think the cocoa and patchouli would mix nicely with some of these tobacco frags.

Vintage Michael Kors.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I get a pipe smell from Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. No chocolate. Also another spiced tobacco, there is also Egoiste. No chocolate. Of course there is Pure Havane and TF Tobacco Vanille. Also, this may be more sweet than you are looking for but there is also Field Notes From Paris by Ineke. A sampler set of her creations is 25 bucks. Plus that 25 bucks goes towards a full bottle if you decide to get one.
    thanks,kalli for the suggestions., but is Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille still available? I noticed that it was a limited edition from 2007. There is a Guerlain Boutique in Vegas-do you know if the boutiques carry any of these discontinued fragrances?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The-odor View Post
    pinkjewel,

as a pipe smoker for about 15 years I can only tell about
    - Michael for Men by Michael Kors
    - Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Haven't any chance to try most of niche stuff mentioned, but from what I have smelled,
    Aramis Havana, Odori Tobacco and Guerlain Vetiver have more of a natural tobacco leaf character rather than matured pipe smoking mixture.
    Versace Dreamer to my nose is just a composition of some tobacco note and some sweet and flowery notes. Interesting on its own, again it doesn't make me feel like I'm smelling pipe tobacco. BTW, yes I have smelled and smoked lots of so called Lakeland scented flakes with distinctive "cologney" character (some with rose, others with geranium and other flowery notes) from Gawith Hoggarth TT, Kendal, England. Bob's Chocolate Flake might be of interest to you.

If you have time, I'd say first go to a tobacconist shop (with a good range of bulk pipe tobacco which is sold by weight, tobacco in tins won't help you), there you pick the blend which is closest to your memories (it doesn't cost high bucks, believe me), and then go to niche boutiques with this kind of "sample" to find out a fragrance that smells close to it.
    Hope this helps.

Regards, Odor.
    thanks so much, Odor!! I never thought of going to a tobacco shop to try to replicate the scent-what a great idea! Off to google a tobacco shop near me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I'd definitely try Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It smells like golden tobacco leaves left out to try, with a touch of amber sweetness.

+1 on Kilian Back to Black, TF Tobacco Vanille, Michael Kors, Pure Havane, SL Chergui, and Odori Tobacco.

Also, you could layer one of the frags mentioned in this thread with a cocoa scent like Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 to get the desired affect. I think the cocoa and patchouli would mix nicely with some of these tobacco frags.
    Yes- I'm wondering if the key will be layering. Thanks for the heads up for SL Borneo 1834 as possibly one to add for the chocolate scent.

I believe yes, you can find it at Guerlain boutiques..according to this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297...e-Availability

I get vanilla bean and pipe tobacco scent from it. But maybe not everyone will smell the tobacco? Idk. Worth sniffing though I think.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

So many wonderful suggestions from everyone. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm making a list of the scents I think we'll be able to find in Vegas to sample and another list of ones to order online to sample. Unfortunately there have also been some great suggestions of fragrances that I don't think I'll be able to find-or if I can find small amounts-I don't want to fall in love with something that I won't be able to find again!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
    thanks,kalli for the suggestions., but is Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille still available? I noticed that it was a limited edition from 2007. There is a Guerlain Boutique in Vegas-do you know if the boutiques carry any of these discontinued fragrances?
    Saks carries it, so I am sure the Guerlain Boutique will.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=jBb1xFp

I believe yes, you can find it at Guerlain boutiques..according to this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297...e-Availability

I get vanilla bean and pipe tobacco scent from it. But maybe not everyone will smell the tobacco? Idk. Worth sniffing though I think.
    thanks- I'll give them a call before we go just to double check.

I have read that several others pick up tobacco in that as well...so, maybe you will too! Good luck and have fun sniffing!.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    First one that comes to mind is Histoires De Parfums 1740. you might also want to give a chance to Fumerie Turque.
    Agree with the above.

I'll add Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal. Only available in Paris. But who knows, you may be going there tomorrow for all we know.

Also John Galliano - Diptyque. It's a residence spray. Which in retrospect will give you what you're after more so than a perfume.

for swap/sale:

Bogart PH
    Azzaro PH Elixir.

Pure Havane.
    Last edited by Alvus; 21st August 2012 at 10:46 PM.

I wouldlike to suggest Atelier d'Artiste-Nez a Nez-It haseverything I thinkyou would like.

The notes include:tobacco, rum, cognac, vanilla.......

A comment that I read stated that it smells like a Frapin fragrance

Ive worn it many times and love it.

Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Default Re: Best Tobacco Scents Out There

Fleurs de Tabac by Cherigan

/end of thread!

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    I wouldlike to suggest Atelier d'Artiste-Nez a Nez-It haseverything I thinkyou would like.

The notes include:tobacco, rum, cognac, vanilla.......

A comment that I read stated that it smells like a Frapin fragrance

Ive worn it many times and love it.

Rex
    thanks,Rex- I'll check out that one,too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Agree with the above.

I'll add Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal. Only available in Paris. But who knows, you may be going there tomorrow for all we know.

Also John Galliano - Diptyque. It's a residence spray. Which in retrospect will give you what you're after more so than a perfume.
    added to list- but not planning on being in Paris anytime soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    Pure Havane.
    this one certainly comes up a lot- I'll have to see if there's a way to sample it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nightcutter View Post
    Bogart PH
    Azzaro PH Elixir.
    added to list-thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    thank you for the link!

I have tried both Havane by Mugler and Kilian Back to Black and have to say these are by far to me the best ones out there.
    I have only been in this game for a little bit over a year butif you want a softer honey Tobacco leaf smell than Havane is the one and if you want the literal pipe Tobacco smeared on your skin (in a good way) then i think Kilian Back to Black is it.they both have ridiculous longevity and are worth trying!
    8+ hours from both easily

Herms quipage smells like cold pipe.

I've tried a ton of tobacco frags. My father smoked a pipe when I was little and it's a very nostalgic scent for me. The closest I have found to that pipe tobacco scent that I recall from my youth is Odori Tabacco. As much as I like Tobacco Vanille, Back to Black, and some of the others mentioned here, the Odori is the closest scent I've found to the real thing.

But no chocolate in that one....

... Also another spiced tobacco, there is also Egoiste. No chocolate....
    I second Chanel's Egoiste (not Platinum) as having a sweet tobacco vibe.

The only tobacco scent I own Pure Havane and its true I just recently smelled the cigar note in this after applying it a few times. Cherry, a*men with styrax (medicinal) dry down is what I usually got, however its still interesting and safe to wear at the same time so I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiyi4real View Post
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    I get a bit of tobacco from Pure havanne

Banned

Do try:

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a comforting, pipe tobacco accord from the spicy and slightly tarry Balkan tobacco coupled with tonka bean with its vanillic earthiness, and white honey with its mildly sweet facet tinged with urine. A flavorful, date and rum raisin currant pervades and enhances the pleasantness of the tobacco. A whisper of sensuous jasmine flitters about. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a wonderful smokehouse accord and smoked leather envelop the inviting opening. Vanilla infuses the brew with its lightly woody and caramel aspects. And a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet marries deligthsome beeswax acquiring its ambery, honeyed and sweet hay character, and makes itself known. This luxurious heart segues to the waiting base. Here, in the rousing base, the syrupy sweetness of styrax commingles with the woody freshness of juniper berries, the peppery mustiness of patchouli as well as the subtly sour and urinal nuances of Peru balsam. An intriguing drydown ensues. This fascinating composition has minimal projection, remaining a skin scent and fostering its use in close quarters; however, its longevity is very good. This captivating, masculine scent is very layered and complex, and should be held in high regard in one's wardrobe.

&

Quote Originally Posted by THEREALJWIL View Post
    I have tried both Havane by Mugler and Kilian Back to Black and have to say these are by far to me the best ones out there.
    I have only been in this game for a little bit over a year butif you want a softer honey Tobacco leaf smell than Havane is the one and if you want the literal pipe Tobacco smeared on your skin (in a good way) then i think Kilian Back to Black is it.they both have ridiculous longevity and are worth trying!
    8+ hours from both easily
    thanks-they are already on my list!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Herms quipage smells like cold pipe.
    got it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    I've tried a ton of tobacco frags. My father smoked a pipe when I was little and it's a very nostalgic scent for me. The closest I have found to that pipe tobacco scent that I recall from my youth is Odori Tabacco. As much as I like Tobacco Vanille, Back to Black, and some of the others mentioned here, the Odori is the closest scent I've found to the real thing.

But no chocolate in that one....
    It's on my list,thanks for your input!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I second Chanel's Egoiste (not Platinum) as having a sweet tobacco vibe.
    thanks,on the list!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Do try:

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a comforting, pipe tobacco accord from the spicy and slightly tarry Balkan tobacco coupled with tonka bean with its vanillic earthiness, and white honey with its mildly sweet facet tinged with urine. A flavorful, date and rum raisin currant pervades and enhances the pleasantness of the tobacco. A whisper of sensuous jasmine flitters about. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a wonderful smokehouse accord and smoked leather envelop the inviting opening. Vanilla infuses the brew with its lightly woody and caramel aspects. And a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet marries deligthsome beeswax acquiring its ambery, honeyed and sweet hay character, and makes itself known. This luxurious heart segues to the waiting base. Here, in the rousing base, the syrupy sweetness of styrax commingles with the woody freshness of juniper berries, the peppery mustiness of patchouli as well as the subtly sour and urinal nuances of Peru balsam. An intriguing drydown ensues. This fascinating composition has minimal projection, remaining a skin scent and fostering its use in close quarters; however, its longevity is very good. This captivating, masculine scent is very layered and complex, and should be held in high regard in one's wardrobe.

&

thanks for the lovely welcome! I do have that on our list to try.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Vintage Michael Kors.
    A word of warning though - this scent also smells heavily of bourbon. Smoke+Alchohol may not be the image you are shooting for.

So looking at my list, there are over 20 suggestions. I've dismissed a few after looking at reviews and difficulty of sampling (ie-no availability in Vegas) so I've dwindled the list to around 15 to sample in Las Vegas this weekend. Might still be a tad too many (LOL). We'll try out the most promising first and see how far we get.

thank you to everyone who has contributed and I'll update with our thoughts after we get back!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayerchris View Post
    A word of warning though - this scent also smells heavily of bourbon. Smoke+Alchohol may not be the image you are shooting for.
    Hmmmm... maybe not what my hubby's patients would want to smell on him (LOL).
    Last edited by pinkjewel; 28th August 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Dependent

back to black seems like the right one.... personally never tried but thats exactly what im looking for.... swear the more time i spend on this site the more money i spend

Dependent

back to black!!

Pure Havane until now.

So far, Cuba by SMN is the best cigar tobacco fragrance I've tried, and unquestionably the best pipe tobacco scent would be Bell Antonio by Hilde Soliani. I am now going to try Meerschaum.

I think the Tom Ford smells as much like the wafting smell of warm sweet pastry as it does tobacco, not that realistic at all, being a former pipe smoker myself. Compare the Bell' Antonio, and I think you will experience the difference.

Tobacco Vanille for sure and I need to try Bogart Pour Homme

Blog Entries

I like Tom Ford TV, but I am looking for a scent reminiscent of that smell that comes out of a box of Cuban cigars when you open the lid and peel back the paper...Ummmm. Suggestions?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I like Tom Ford TV, but I am looking for a scent reminiscent of that smell that comes out of a box of Cuban cigars when you open the lid and peel back the paper...Ummmm. Suggestions?
    I recommend giving Havana by Aramis a sniff if you haven't already.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I recommend giving Havana by Aramis a sniff if you haven't already.
    +1 - Havana and Havana Reserva are wonderful tobacco scents. The vintage bottles, the cone shaped blue glass bottles.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

A must try is Casbah by Piguet: absolutely great.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    A must try is Casbah by Piguet: absolutely great.
    Good one.
    Instant buy for me.

for swap/sale:

Herod by Parfums de Marly a toned down TV clone.
    Chergui by Serge Lutens a scent that get better each time I wear it.

Casbah by Piquet sounds very interesting. Thanks Darvant. Have you done a review on it I will have to check.

Like others have mentioned Michael for Men, by Michael Kors.
    Also, the drydown of CK One Shock for Him is a tobacco bomb. It's a bit on the synthetic side, but still smells nice.

For an honorable mention: the distinct tobacco note---more of a leaf tobacco, than pipe---in Guerlain Vetiver.

I submit Hommage de la Homme by Lalique. My wife picked up on the tobacco right away. A very green scent that is office friendly yet persists all day long.

Although Nordstrom lists it for like $92 for the 1.7, the 3.4 is on ebay for $38 shipped. The bottle is killer, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Herod by Parfums de Marly a toned down TV clone.
    Chergui by Serge Lutens a scent that get better each time I wear it.

Casbah by Piquet sounds very interesting. Thanks Darvant. Have you done a review on it I will have to check.

Casbah is a wonderful combination of spices, incense (the king) and tobacco/vetiver. The latter accord emerges in a second phase with a sort of almost "fluidy coziness" (warm but kind of sharp and wet with a touch of soap, vaguely a la The Dreamer) which is durable on the skin as the love we feel for our mums. The note of tobacco turns the "cold" frankincense in something carnal and complicated. Irresistible. Expensive.

Where is the love for Samba Skin!

"A sensuous blend of citrus notes and black pepper give brightness to the top note, while the subtle spiciness of cinnamon and the masculine scent of cedar and tobacco provide distinctive signature to the heart. The fragrance dries down to a warm amber, sueded musk, and patchouli nuances."

Good silage, good longevity and great price!

Everything I require - ok odd bottle - but great scent

>

Somebody has to mention the wonderful Cigar by Remy Latour.

+ 1 on Santa Maria Novella - but it's rare. Chergui is easier to find and it's a great tobacco (unlit) mixed with hay and honey.

One of the best in my opinion is the great Domenico Caraceni 1913, i love the tobacco/frankincense combinations.

Personally, I love Krizia Moods Uomo (tobacco leaf at its finest) and vintage Gianfranco Ferre for Man (rich pipe tobacco).
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I like AbdesSalaam Chilum, it's a different take on the note.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Tabac Rouge from Phaedon Tabac Aurea Sonoma scents studio, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla this one has a lot a fun I sample is very good but I prefer the other ones too, I mean they all good.

Since having last posted in this thread almost two years ago, one for me that has jumped to the forefront is Cuir Tabac by David Jourquin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh Yeah I forgot this one Hednic delicious composition with this note.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Since having last posted in this thread almost two years ago, one for me that has jumped to the forefront is Cuir Tabac by David Jourquin.