Code of Conduct

Default Sweat - what works for workouts?

I have a bicycle business but have always seen cycling as a lifestyle, not a sport.
    Guys who ride in the US for transportation - especially to work - need to smell like they care about those around them. Even "clean" perspiration offends many female co-workers and antiperspirant alone isn't the answer.
    I've developed several non-fragrance products that facilitate bicycling as transportation. This seems like the logical "next frontier." Please direct me....

Default Re: Sweat - what works for workouts?

Kouros

A little bit of something that doesn't smell off when you sweat and isn't too heavy works. I like Terre d'Hermes, Eau d'Orange Verte (Hermes), and Prelude to Love (Kilian). You really need to be careful not to use too much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    You really need to be careful not to use too much though.
    That's the key.

Dirty Body Spray by Lush. It is made specifically to cover up the scent of sweat. It advertises as portable deodorizing.

Shower at work or at a gym nearby unless you're cycling like 5 minutes. The application of a fragrance to cover BO is bad smelling and not classy in the least. Would Sean Connery, Cary Grant, Bogart, McQueen or Clooney do it??? If the answer is no...don't do it. Working out and cycling is great! I do both, but I wouldn't go to work w/o showering afterward even if I had god's go to fragrance.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Banned

running to work would be analagous to cycling to work ... what would you do in that case? ... sponge bathe or freshen up in the john, and apply your fragrance afterward ...

Mugler Cologne

If you just ride your bicycle to work in a normal tempo (i.e. analogous to walking intensity, not to running) I don't see why you would be sweating excessively. Or even noticeably.
    Jan Pieter

Cool Re: Sweat - what works for workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by petevannuys View Post
    I have a bicycle business but have always seen cycling as a lifestyle, not a sport.
    Guys who ride in the US for transportation - especially to work - need to smell like they care about those around them. Even "clean" perspiration offends many female co-workers and antiperspirant alone isn't the answer.
    I've developed several non-fragrance products that facilitate bicycling as transportation. This seems like the logical "next frontier." Please direct me....
    I'm a bit confused. Do you have a brick and mortar bicycle shop? Is this mostly for yourself? Or are you looking to recommend, carry and sell,-- or develop new fragrances for your customers?

Anyway, I'll give it a shot:

1. Infusion (2003)
    by Bombay Sapphire
    ===It might get your costumers in trouble with their bosses as it smells exactly like the gin. though it is quite sparkling. (If this is solely for yourself, not a problem as you're self-employed.)

2. Bowling Green--though it's discontinued and hard to find

3. Erolfa by Creed--though it's expensive. It would bring out the salt and the fresh in the sweat--if that makes any sense. Check out the reviews.

4. Anything with VERBENA as the main ingredient.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Mugler Cologne
    as much as I despise Thierry, this is actually a good option for the situation.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Shower at work or at a gym nearby unless you're cycling like 5 minutes. The application of a fragrance to cover BO is bad smelling and not classy in the least. Would Sean Connery, Cary Grant, Bogart, McQueen or Clooney do it??? If the answer is no...don't do it. Working out and cycling is great! I do both, but I wouldn't go to work w/o showering afterward even if I had god's go to fragrance.
    I concur that showering thus is far preferable to not doing so! However - though I don't do this myself, using perfume to cover up malodour is an almost charmingly 18th-century thing to do. Grant and Clooney are only an idiosyncratic few of a wide set of exemplars. One might wonder, instead, what the beaux, fops and bloods of the 18th-century would have done - and they, no doubt, would have not been very punctilious about showering, and, at once luxurious and filthy, simply doused themselves in perfume.

As for Bogart, well, if one looks at his movies, he is often seen in a terrible lather of sweat - neatly groomed, but...I wouldn't want to have shared a confined space with him in The Big Sleep.

None of this is very relevant to an office environment, or to the OP's question, but it was a point I thought useful to make.

Sorry, a double post.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    If you just ride your bicycle to work in a normal tempo (i.e. analogous to walking intensity, not to running) I don't see why you would be sweating excessively. Or even noticeably.
    This. Taking the overcrowded train would probably make me sweat more.

Also in Europe we traditionally just stink without worrying too much.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    I guess you've never been to Miami or South Florida.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I find that gyms and scents/antiperspirant do not mix. You're there to do a serious workout not pose around! The only thing acceptable in gyms is a maybe a good strong disinfectant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I guess you've never been to Miami or South Florida.
    Yup, and for those who use a bike for transportation washing up after each trip isn't exactly practical if you're making several trips each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    I find that gyms and scents/antiperspirant do not mix. You're there to do a serious workout not pose around! The only thing acceptable in gyms is a maybe a good strong disinfectant.
    I agree, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Deodorant? Cologne is too distracting. You don't want to be 'that guy' at the gym. C'mon.

Versace Eau Fraiche

Dependent

Esencia Loewe.

But it really depends on your sweat's character what it will mesh with. My BO smells like celery seed and coriander, so naturally frags with those ingredients (Yatagan, Lomani pH etc) smell best on me.

A lot of the 'sport' scents perform quite well. Lacoste's Essential Sport is light and fresh enough for this.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

normally don't wear cologne to the gym but i was wearing versace ph when i went to the gym once, and it actually smelled better with sweat it really made the mid notes come out.

Basenotes Member

Mugler Cologne..try it!!

Maybe a frag that has musk or woods in to bind with and work with the sweat instead of trying to go against it like a freshly laundered shirt. Smell like a musky/woodsy man. Cannot think of a frag off hand but there must be a few to sweat-combine successfully. Use the man smell as an ingredient. Many ingredients smell better with, as long as it is fresh sweat and not the unwashed type. Musk Ravageur comes to mind.

Blog Entries

An old thread revived.