Code of Conduct

Default Looking for my first niche cologne that will be my favorite cologne for a while

A little back history so you know my personality and details that might help: I'm 15, I'm going to be a sophomore this year, I live in New England so we have very defined all four seasons. I'm crazy outgoing and energetic but i don't want a cologne that screams TOO crazy. This is really weird but whenever I think about what cologne I want I think "airport" which I guess means travel and class and businessman-ish. I don't like scents that are TOO spicy or TOO baby powdery/floral. More on the Fruity/Fresh/Woodsy but somehow manly side. For something I like I have polo blue just for the fact that it seems calm and controlled and makes people know I know what I'm doing. And I tried out Nautica voyage but I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT NOW. It makes me sick. I would be willing to spend A lot of money (less than 400) if its a scent I LOVE but also recommend things if they are priced higher because I might be able to decant or find it cheaper. So I guess over all I want something Fruity/Fresh/Woodsy but ALSO screams Class/Sensuous/Calm/Manly. OPEN FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE....... THANKSSS!!!!

Default Re: Looking for my first niche cologne that will be my favorite cologne for a while

well, its not niche, but think about Eau Sauvage...very classy, very mature, steady and masculine.

Default Re: Looking for my first niche cologne that will be my favorite cologne for a while

Green Irish Tweed, it's good for every season and smells so good.

I was really considering that one but its quite expensive. Know of any splits?
    And what about longevity?

Banned

This rivals niche quality:

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus - Upon application, one is treated to a pleasing blend from the interplay of a bittersweet and peppery bergamot, a crisp and fresh, lemon blossom, a spicy cardamon, a slightly indolic neroli and a refreshing mint. Consequently, an all-too-familiar, sweet and spicy, bubble-gum smell materializes and wafts to the waiting heart. Here, in the middle, the bubble-gum-ish opening is immersed in an enveloping bath of fruity, medjool dates and raisins, sweetly warm and earthy cinnamon, and a hay-like and slightly honeyed floral from saffron. Transitioning to the alluring base, Chinese cedarwood imparts its camphoraceous, pencil shaving scent, while tolu balsam infuses its balsamic and cinnamic facets. A sweet and airy woodiness from gaiacwood also presents. Ambrocenide contributes its amber-like, woody character, while musk diffuses its soft and sweetly clean nuances. A comforting drydown ensues. This masculine, refined composition has average projection and average longevity, lasting about 8 hours.

&

I dislike marine notes a lot too (hence Nautica voyage and the like).

I'd suggest Chanel Sycomore. It is in their exclusive line (ie it is sold only in their boutique, there's one in Boston on Arlington st). It is a fresh vetiver (that is, natural smelling, not with synthetic fresh notes) with a touch of wood, so it's fresh but at the same elegant and rich. It costs about $210 in the 200ml bottle (not too much per ml), or 115 in the 75ml bottle (more pricey per ml).

cacio

Montale Greyland

Sound Scents

Maybe Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta fits the bill.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Not niche but a few more suggestions:

Dior Dune pour Homme
    M7 Fresh
    DS2 Silver Wind Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Newkid96 View Post
    I was really considering that one but its quite expensive. Know of any splits?
    And what about longevity?
    There are a couple of splits going on in the marketplace. I find GIT would be better for a 20+ year old though.

Creed Aventus

This will probably sound terrible, but I can't bring myself to recommend a $200 fragrance to a 15 year-old. Maybe times have changed, but my folks would have slapped me upside the head for even thinking about that .

What about Guerlain Vetiver? Or one of the L'Occitane fragrances? I also love the original Egoiste.

I would check out a few from Bond No 9. Personally, I would recommend Andy Warhol Montauk or Chez Bond as nice niche scents for your age. (Chez Bond is a smoother take on the GIT/Cool Water type smell, and Montauk is a nice ozonic fresh fragrance that dries down to a oak/maple type woody base that smells reminiscent of the smell of sun dried boardwalk wood and sand).

Think of niche like runway fashion or fine wine (in a few more years time that is!), you'll usually pay a lot and it's not usually going to be a crowd pleaser. You need to have a developed nose, and have gone through the sea of designer frags before you're able to pick out different notes and know what specifically you do and don't like.

Don't jump the gun.

Having said that, if you're intent on going niche, the safest house I can think of is Creed. Smell the lot on blotters, try 4 on skin and pick out your favourite. Don't blind buy, not even decants, I wouldn't.

To piggyback on Kagey's post:

Dude, you're 15. Forget spending hundreds of dollars on someone's random recommendation.

You just want to smell good and set yourself apart from the drugstore body spray crowd, right? Stick to something relatively inexpensive, versatile and classy, preferably something that is available locally for you to sample before buying.

Then, if you want to get further into fragrances, go out and sample lots of stuff to figure out what kinds of things appeal to you and give you a frame of reference. Then when you read reviews and see comparisons with other fragrances, those comparisons will mean something to you and you can use that knowledge to inform your decisions about what else to try. In general, I would avoid blind buying (especially at your stage).

A few (non-aquatic) suggestions:
    Inexpensive:
    Halston 1-12 Green and fresh.
    Claiborne Sport More citrusy.

Moderate but affordable:
    Mugler Cologne
    Gendarme or Gendarme V
    Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes
    Bulgari PH/PH Extreme

Lastly, and perhaps most important, although you may not be ready to hear it -- don't expect too much out of fragrance. No one is really going to have a different impression of you based on the perfume you wear. People may think you smell good, but don't be disappointed if they barely notice or don't even notice at all.

If you are going to buy an expensive niche perfume, buy it because you love perfume and you love that particular perfume.
    Last edited by SmellsLike; 13th July 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Aventus.

You can't go wrong with Aventus.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would recommend Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. It can easily be found on Amazon for around $50 and it's longevity and projection are above average. Guerlain Vetiver E. starts off sharply with citrus and turns to a woody note.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

A lot of these suggestions I dont believe are good for 15. Aventus is ashy, I dont think it fits well. Guerlain Vetiver, well, vetiver is harsh for some. Some of the other recommendations I still believe are a little old. When I first started buying fragrances, people suggested a ton of stuff. I tried a lot of it, and realized most of it smelled too old for me, and im 26. So try to look at notes, do research, and try samples.

A lot of designer fragrances are going to set you apart from most. When I was in high school, hardly anyone wore fragrances. So you probably wont need niche to stand out.

Look at reviews. Ebay has worked well for me for niche samples. You can get 5ml samples of almost anything it seems. Check out those, and if you really love something, then buy a 30/50ml split. For me colognes last a long time, and 30ml seems to be more than enough.

I really like Creed Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial. AMen, Pure Malt.

At sephora you can get samples of designer fragrances.