Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: What other expensive hobbies do you guys have besides collecting fragrances????

Single Malt Scotch
    Vintage Oporto
    Rare US Coins
    Dental Ephemera
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Default Re: What other expensive hobbies do you guys have besides collecting fragrances????

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Single Malt Scotch
    Vintage Oporto
    Rare US Coins
    Dental Ephemera
    Dental ephemera?

Do elucidate!

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Someone mentioned how could cooking be expensive. Honey if you are cooking with the good stuff, it can get down right pricey. My oooooother hobby is baking. I use Nielsen-Massey extracts, Plugra butter, Pernigotti/Valrhona cocoa, etc. I usually get busy around the holidays. I sold a few cakes this holiday season. These ingredients add up. Luckily this hobby pays. And yes my cakes tastes as good as I smell Woo! :-)
    It's all about quality ingredients, isn't it? To apply an overused IT abbreviation; GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Your baking sounds divine. I wish I lived nearby so I could buy some from you. You can't beat a bit of decent cake...

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    ... I DJ, I collect vinyl...
    Whoa. Collecting vinyl can get really expensive really quickly, I've still got crates from my DJing days. It's a professional requirement, though, eh? So you have to buy them. Well, I supposed most DJs use mp3s these days. Still, there's something about sound of vinyl, isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by srmd22 View Post
    ... studio recording equipment (also a horrible, horrible money pit)...
    Horrendous. It seems there's really no limit to what one can spend on this stuff, and it's easy to get caught up in the idea that this or that other piece of kit will help you capture the perfect vocal, or whatever. Do you collect vintage synths? That's a money black hole in itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    ...the 911 does require a certain amount of work hours being put in :-).
    Drool. I've got my eye on one, but struggling to justify it to myself...

This is turning out to be such an interesting thread.

Oh my, cooking can be expensive! If you care about your equipment and ingredients... I have many times put hundreds into the ingredients alone. The time spent preparing it is a whole 'nother issue, if you take a whole day off that adds up.

Banned
    Blog Entries

gaming, magic the gathering, the latest electronics/pc upgrades, wine-collecting, and lots of clothes shopping.

yes, i'm materialistic, to the core, baby.

Dependent

guitar cigars and liquor

Video production is the only other thing I really will sink money into, but it can occasionally take a good chunk.

Computers & Photography. I have Nikon D90. Lenses are Nikon 80-200 2.8, Nikon 35 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8. Alien Bees B1600, Vagabond mini, Nikon SB600 and some Yongnuo flashes.

Basenotes Plus

Classic Cars. My current car is a 1967 Mustang GTA Fastback. Have bought and sold many classics the past 15 years.

Last edited by PalmBeach; 3rd September 2012 at 04:35 AM.

Photography, Archery, Firearms, Paintball.

Basenotes Junkie

My girlfriend is an expensive hobby.

Cuban Cigars.

My most expensive hobby is my hubby! His hobbies of cars, cycling, addiction to random sports e.g. Windsurfing, kite surfing which are all short lived but he must have all the kit, best in the range. We have a garage and a shed full to bursting with the mo longer used kit. Let me point out we live as far from the past as it I possible to be in the UK.

Oh and the grown up children are pretty expensive to run as well, what will University for one and helping set the other up in his own home.

Being a perfumista and shoe-aholic are cheap in comparison

Glassblowing/flameworking, which I made a career out of, cars and guns.

good thread!

i like clothing & of course automobiles.

swiss watches as well as others have mentioned.

currently saving to purchase a patek philippe grand complication and a rolex daytona.

in re: to autmobiles, i have a preference for english and german vehicles, namely bentley, rolls royce, land rover range rover, mercedes benz(s class , s class amgs, cl class, cl class amgs).

clothing i like a lot of companies which offer the kind of style i go for which is the simple gentleman look: button up shirts, half zip cashmeres, cable knit cashmeres, blazers, khaki trousers etc.

gitman brothers is a good brand still making clothes in the USA. jos a bank is a standard of course. ralph lauren certainly.

i have a real big addiction to neck ties.

hermes being my preference, but also have many from yves saint laurent, lanvin, versace, salvatore ferragamo, dunhill, christian dior, amongst others.

i also enjoy going out and eating well, i dont know if that counts as criteria which would qualify for this discussion but i do spend quite a bit of money on dining.

also enjoy 'popping bottles'(lol) @ the top night clubs all around the country. as some my know, def is not cheap, esp when you have a taste only for the better champagnes(armand de brignac, louis roederer,dom perignon etc), vodkas(prefer mainly belvedere), and scotch.

i also have begun trading options in my very little spare time, i have done well but i have not done so with full commitment. i look forward to completely making that my focus, and seeing where that leads me.

again, good thread and i am anxious to read more from the members of this forum.

-----

noticed i made a mistake in which patek philippe i was saving for.

it turns out the model which i covet is the complication, rather than the mentioned grand complication which is nearly one hundred and thirty thousand dollars more expensive!
    Last edited by asadkhanduh; 3rd September 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Actually, the reason I was able to start getting into fragrances is because I DON'T have many hobbies. I play slowpitch softball in the summer, and for awhile, I was collecting some of the best slowpitch bats. However, my wife and I were trying to go to Hawaii for our ten-year anniversary, so I sold all the bats that I didn't need/use to help collect funds.

I'm a teacher. An English teacher. This means I'm constantly reading/grading essays. I don't have time for many hobbies. Nor do I have the money I enjoy working out...but I own p90x, so I do most of it at home. I enjoy writing, which doesn't cost anything. My wife and I enjoy a good wine and have discussed joining a nice Wine of the Month club...but that's about it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Cuban Cigars.
    +1, only I had to all but give them up recently. Orders from the better half and all.

Single malt scotch is nice, but I wouldn't call it a hobby for myself. Same with clothes, food (not cooking) etc.

Sailing tops out my fragrance obsession by several orders of magnitude in terms of cost, but it's a sport. Historical wargaming (table-top) is surprisingly pricey, and I'd definately call it a hobby, but the hobby aspects (painting, gaming and modeling) are quite inexpensive.

I used to collect and restore straight-razors, but quickly moved into buying and using Kamisori razors exclusively, but that's more about being a consumer, on the collecting side at least. Collecting hones and whetstones on the other hand has a hobby-like quality to it, lapping new stones and so on, not to mention using them. This is surprisingly pricey, and has led to an interest in buying blades of all sorts from kitchen knives to pocketknives because I enjoy honing so much.

My no.1 hobbies for time-spent though are also my cheapest and most fulfilling; writing, and reading. I've thought about collecting books but somehow it seems silly.

Again, this is more about being a consumer, but I do have an unhealthy love for English suits. I'm looking at a fifth from Gieves & Hawkes, but while this could cost freakish amounts of money I'm not interested in collecting and when you simply want something to look good and feel good in it's not too bad when you consider that such things can last lifetimes.

Art deco silver and vintage jewelery, again this could cost more than everything else combined but one or two pieces a year satisfies me.

I collect coins. twice as expensive as my fragrance hobby. I love it.

Guitars and piano play a big part in my life and tattoos - though it's a somewhat finite thing given I'll run out of skin at some point!
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

Tennis, badminton, and squash rackets + accessories. I recently bought 150$ worth of strings and grips and am loving them. Why are all my hobbies so expensive? It's probably just me...

Basenotes Member

Gaming, general gadgetry, nail polish (I don't have 700 like some people but I do have some nicer brands which can get pricey) and cosmetics, also hula hooping - I have a travel hoop that splits up into parts so I can carry it in a bag. So far I only have 2 hoops, hopefully getting a few more eventually.

This is a very interesting thread to read. Good idea.
    In addition to fragrance I love travel. This has taken me toa lot of places that I dreamt about as a kid. A also have a passion for theater, which has lead to several trips to NYC and London. Finally, I collect old vinyl. Nothing sounds better IMO.

Cheers Rex
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I split my love of good clothes, Frags and gardening. Gardening is the one thing in life that I am inately good at and I love it, but buying and maintaing your gardens can get exspensive. Good clothes go without saying price wise!
    Last edited by southerngardens; 10th October 2012 at 01:50 AM.

I collect shoes and expensive clothes, especially denim. Some of the stuff I buy I never wear, it just sits in my closet. I think I have a problem.

contemporary Asian art
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule

Banned

One would be collecting antique, keywound, chiming clocks.

Poker and books right now, used to be really into golf and psychedelics.

Cameras (SOny Nex-5n)
    Car (Mercedes c36 AMG)
    Gadgets and electronics, Home Theater

Before I got into fragrances, I was a photography nut. (And there was a time for several years when the two hobbies overlapped, increasing the financial pain.) I'm not intending to start another Nikon vs. Canon fanboy war, but I was (and still am) a Canon user, starting with an Elan 7E film body. I then got the original Digital Rebel as a gift (and sold the Elan 7E right before the market for film SLRs collapsed). I built up my lens collection, added a flash, and changed camera bags twice. I also used several printers before deciding that I could print my photos at Walmart better and for less. I still use the Digital Rebel from time to time, and it still takes excellent pictures almost nine years later.

More recently, I have become a big fan of Express clothes. And for a very good reason: their clothes are well-made and about as hip as you can get while remaining suitable for the office. (For a while, I also owned their Express Honor fragrance before I gave the bottle to a friend.) They are a little pricey, but all of my Express clothes put together aren't as expensive as the Canon 70-300mm Diffractive Optics lens that's in my camera collection.

Other current expensive and not-so-expensive hobbies of mine:
    -Cell phones. I briefly worked in this business before I graduated from college and entered the advertising field. While the phones may not be expensive (and you typically only buy one every two years), the plans can get pricey.
    -Listening to music. As you can tell from my signature, I'm a big My Chem fan, but my interests range from classical to dubstep. The only genres that I don't like are country and hip-hop. (Tip: To cut down expenses in this field, I rip CDs from the local library.)
    -Visiting amusement and theme parks. I got back from a very fun trip to Disney World recently, and I visit Cedar Point (a three hour drive from home) at least once a season. Over the past 2 years, I have also paid visits to Kings Island and Universal Orlando.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Over the years I've collected watches, but stopped because it was way too expensive. My hobbies now include travelling, reading, and fitness. I've always been a sports nut.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Im finding that my taste for fragrance is almost as expensive as my coin collecting :/

I rotate between phases of attaining clothing, books, Blu-Ray and now fragrances.

At this time in my life? Golf. Spent $100 on just one round just yesterday. Nicklaus course too, worth every penny.

Also a bit of a shoe snob as well, can't resist a good Italian made shoe.

I would say clothes, computers and photography also, but since that's what I do professionally, I don't really consider those things an expensive hobby. Usually I'll buy a coat or lens that'll last me a decade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I drink

LOFL !!

Cheers . . . golf, wine, craft beer, fishing . . . Wally
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 13th October 2012 at 09:15 PM.

Other then fragrances, computers, tech gadgets and watches!!!

First editions of science fiction novels, and Robert Graham shirts.

PS. Iain M. Banks rocks!

Roller derby, knitting, and burlesque costuming. At least I can enjoy perfume while doing most of it!

I Just bought tires for my new car and now I am planning on doing the alignment, such a sweet ride tho.

Before fragrances starting draining money from my bank account, I was spending quite a bit of money on powerlifting training, bodybuilding & fitness & nutrition in general (although I'd call that more of a lifestyle than a hobby...). Anyway, I got pretty stocked up on most of what I needed for quite a while & I guess just couldn't leave well enough alone after saving back up more money and moved onto frags (I'm still dedicated to training, however...plus, training is also a personal passion as well).

Cycling I have a MTB and a road bike.
    Wet shaving with all kinds of things to buy.
    Scotch, wine, cigars and soju

Photography. The cost of a camera body, lenses and assorted other things (filters, strap, bag, tripod, etc) really adds up. Luckily, I'm mostly done with that spending for a few years since I'm thrilled with the gear I currently have. I haven't spent a dime in about a year, and the only purchase I'm itching to make is a new strap, which is cheap as far as photography purchases go. I shoot with a Sony A77, which isn't a common DSLR (it's an SLT, actually, but it's the same concept minus the mirror slap) and I friggggggging LOVE IT.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Photography again. Although my cameras are cheap by modern standards, I have alot of them. Also, film prices add up very quickly.

Other than that, fine cuisine and exotic beverages.

I had to stop it but I used to be an avid Skeet Shooter

Golf and bespoke/custom clothing. Both are more expensive than collecting fragrances.

None, which is why go nuts as far as buying fragrances and do so with no shame.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Comic books when I was younger until I ran out of storage. Now I'm looking to sell my collection.

I also used to be a hi-fi nut. But every component upgrade requires further investment in other parts of the system. And a marginal improvement in sound quality requires a disproportionate amount of investment in equipment. So I told myself it had to stop. And it did, leaving me with cash to spare for new interests.

Guns, video games, tournament paintball

Dcampbell

First it was video games, then Fitness (wannabe bodybuilding ) then high end hard alcohol for awhile then I stopped drinking lol, back to fitness, then I found fragrances, now that I have found my "go tos" I've moved to guns and fitness

Basenotes Junkie

Photography!! Yeah, that hobby makes this hobby seem really cheap...fortunately.

Higher end home theater and headphone gear
    Drums/percussion
    RC cars as of late, what fun!
    and of course the Harley bagger is rough on the pocket
    Hobbies keep me sane

Cars, and clothes amongst other things

Photographing military installations.

- - - Updated - - -

Just kidding. Really, if you want to know any military secrets you can read about them in The New York Times.

Though I do like WW2 military books of which there are tons. I find the ones dealing with the psychology of those in charge the most interesting. e.g; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agLW7fTzBc

Despite having gone skydiving (once, it opened.) And decades in multidisciplinary martial arts, I am God's own Nerd.

I could never prove that I was heterosexual or NOT a Soviet spy through sports----It's truly pathetic if I'm ever coerced into playing jeopardy. Well, I learned something new every time. Ted Williams was nicknamed the splintered toothpick, right?

I held my own in chess with a 2065 expert rating. Do you know what that means? NO, not that you're an evil Soviet or SMERSH agent!

It means, you've got brains but no talent for the game---and yes, You are God's own Nerd.

I haven't been at the firing range in a while, though it was embarrassing when I was dating what's her name, who walked in with me and with just the most basic safety training ("Ooo! Mario I didn't realize it would be so loud! ) she then proceeded to put 5 shots through the x with a Sig Sauer 9MM at 25 feet, She was 'born with the eye'.

Must also go back to the gym to get in shape for the next whack--um sweet woman that I'm blessed with. My favorite exercise was The Deadlift--if you haven't tried it be careful! Not only is good form essential but you might start talking like Conan the Barbarian afterwards.

Oh, Back to handguns: I do regret not buying a Colt Python .357 (arguably the best revolver in the history of ever) an HKP7M8 which had superb ergonomics, shot 9MM with less recoil that a .22 Both discontinued now! Hey, what the hell? I thought this only happened to fragrances---and an East German Makarov.

*sigh*

BTW I wonder if online poker will ever be legalized back here in the good old USA? America has given the world freedom, bourbon, baseball and poker---but the casino lobby has a bit of a problem with people staying home in their pajamas and playing online. Gosh. I wonder why?

So, presently, my hobbies include interviewing for jobs and antique cars.

The latter a 1990 Suzuki Samurai. --A car that refuses to die, no matter how much mileage I put into it. Rather inspiring.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 27th October 2012 at 03:03 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I collected vintage clothing for quite a while, but enough years have past that things from the era of wool have just about disappeared from the market.

I have some odd niches of stamp collecting I'm involved with.

I hybridize peonies ( it takes seven years to grow a new variety from seed ) and just paid $100 each for a couple of currently-rare varieties that I'll use for either seed or pollen parents. Put two others in the ground this fall that are going for $350 a piece, but which the nursery I partner with gave me for free, thank goodness.

Getting my mortgage paid off before I'm 43 has taken up a fair chunk of my spare cash.

I still have enough left for Golf, Fishing and Shooting.

Stratocasters.
    Amplifiers.
    Guns.

Hi-Fi, tea, weight-training (I'd say body building, but meeting me would just elicit the response, "do you even lift?").
    Hi-Fi is more of a one off expense, but I easily spend more on tea than I do on fragrance.