Code of Conduct

Question Strangest and rudeest question ever: any of the Basenotes ladies got complimented by other ladies

I know that Basenotes will most likely be offended by those questions, but fed up with so many "compliment getting" (to put it mildly) threads mainly by male Basenoters, I simply wanted to ask, just for fun, which of the
    female Basenoters actually got complimented on theirs scents by their OWN gender?
    I know it's a silly, rude and shallow question, but I simply couldn't abstain from voicing and posting it,
    but then again I am impressed by the sheer beauty, diversity and luxury of the fragrance wardrobes of Basenotes ladies and, besides, I think that ladies have less problems of simply talking more openly about fragrance, thus voicing more easily simple compliments without any other connotations or subtexts. I truly guess that being stylish is nothing to be ashamed of and easily leads to compliments, but also recommendations, style tips, fragrance advice candidly exchanged within one's own gender, not just with the opposite.
    One more detail: even compliments for unisex or male fragrances worn by the ladies of Basenotes may be posted.

Hope this didn't offend too much and did not block any replies in advance.

Default Re: Strangest and rudeest question ever: any of the Basenotes ladies got complimented by other ladie

No need to apologise, I don't think your post is offensive in any way.

Got two compliments on Noa (pitty I don't like it anymore) from aquaintances hugging me at a reception. Compliments from my mother on Etro Dianthus and KM Ume. From my grandmother on SL Cedre, Chergui and (keep steady) Tommy Girl.

No other ladies have ever complimented me on my fragrance yet (probably working in a nearly all-male environment is part of the reason).

Default Re: Strangest and rudeest question ever: any of the Basenotes ladies got complimented by other ladie

Yes, Epic Woman has gathered me more than a few compliments from other ladies and so has Rose Ikebana.
    I generally don't get many compliments on my fragrance from either men or women.

I tend to get complimented by women when I wear Cristobal,
    Cuir Beluga and Elixir des Merveilles. Women are usually more likely
    to comment on a perfume than men IMO.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I do get the occasional female compliment, and very rarely the female rave. Scents that other ladies have complimented recently: Ormonde Woman, N'Aimez que Moi, Ava Luxe Viva. Scents that received raves: Montale Oriental Flowers and Ormonde Woman.

Thinking better about it: I think it is salesladies who compliment my taste in fragrance most often. Probably because I am buying the scents no one else wants.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Not a rude question at all. This is New England and I think people do not compliment each other so freely here. At least, not strangers. My husband and daughter often tell me I smell good.

I can really only recall one compliment, from a woman, and that was for Yardley English Rose-- hardly a costly perfume. My mother received a compliment (from the female medical assistant at her Dr.'s office) on Fico di Amalfi which I had sprayed on her. And that's it!

I don't wear my scent for its effect on others so I really don't care.

I have gotten a lot of compliments from other women on Love, Chloe, in fact most of them either bought it afterwards or it is on their want list)), this is the fragrance I have gotten the most compliments on so far from both genders.

Blog Entries

The crowd seems to go wild when I wear Serge Lutens Bois Oriental. It is quite a stunning fragrance, not for the faint at heart, but people seem to like it.

Blog Entries

Narciso Rodriguez for Her the most by far, Kelly Caleche, and Carven Guirlandes.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I guess I get about the same number of compliments from both men and women, but I suppose it will always depends on the circumstances, and like 30Roses says, it also depends on where you are. I rarely got a compliment from anyone when I was in Milwaukee, but they occur pretty frequently in New Orleans. The last one was from a woman sitting next to me on the streetcar - she responded very favorably to my Coromandel.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

On hair and perfume, way more compliments from women than from men.

I have had compliments on
    Datura Blanche
    Un Jardin sur le Toit (actually sold one of these for Hermes upon wearing it)
    Reglisse Noire
    Love etc

and lots of love for the smell of the Coffee Coco Curl Creme

I rarely get compliments but then I don't expect them.

All my compliments come from women, I think perhaps because of the PC rules men are worried about approaching women with compliments.

Cuir de Lancome
    Ambre Sultan
    Damn Blonde
    Belle d'Opium
    Cuir Ma(sorry brain gone blank on spelling!!) Serge Lutens

Creed Santal Imperial has got a few compliments it is classed as male.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    I have gotten a lot of compliments from other women on Love, Chloe....
    My mother often wears this and says the same - plenty of compliments from the gals.

Ladies seem to love Patchouli Noir by Il Profvmo.

Not offended at all, and I'd be happy to share what compliments I've received -- if I ever received any! Richmond is so convervative and reserved, rather like 30 Roses' New England. Who knows what they really think, they sure won't tell you. :0/ Or rather, only if they've known you their whole lives.

It's a perfectly normal question.
    of course I get compliments from other ladies, lately on Tabu and Balmain de Balmain.
    And I give compliments myself if I smell something good.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Ken, I get compliments from the EDT of Narcisse Noir, and the DH like the now discontinued Victoria's Secret Orange Flower in the EDP.

Another is SL Chergui.

I have had something said ill of my fragrances, but one co-worker genuinely had an allergy to one of my scents. It was not an offensive comment, but she requested that I not wear that one around her at work.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

l frequently get compliments from my female work colleagues, on just about every perfume l wear, so too many to list here.
    Compliments from female strangers are rarer, but occasionally one of my patients will remark favourably on what l'm wearing.
    ln just the last few days l've received compliments on Armani Code, Cavalli Oro & Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon.

And l don't think the question is rude at all. lt makes a nice change from the usual "compliment getter" threads!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    And I give compliments myself if I smell something good.
    I give compliments TO myself! Sometimes in a loud voice. Let them roll their eyes...

I think that Ken_Russel's imagination is running away with him lol

Drs. assistant complimented me on Byredo's Gypsy Water. She asked for the name of fragrance I wore and the spelling!!

Hello Ken! Thank You for starting this thread which the girls are obviously enjoying. I have actually noticed that other women often compliment me when I am wearing an Iris fragrance, (various ones). Interestingly, men compliment me most when I have freshened up with a simple citrus cologne.

summer means fireflys

Like Teardrop, I receive compliments from co-workers all the time! I can't list all the frags ...

As for strangers, I still get a lot of compliments ... The latest one was a few weeks ago while wearing Liaisons Dangereuses. In fact, the By Kilian line must work out very well on my skin ... I think I've received a compliment nearly every time wearing something from By Kilian! But my all time compliment magnet is Angel. If I had a dollar for each compliment I've received over Angel, I would a be a rich woman!

Soir de Lune by Cartier
    AP Maitresse
    TM Eau de Star
    so far I remember, there were many others

.....and an "anti-compliment" on Givenchy Ange ou Demon that I topped with mosquito repellent in a hot summer evening. The result was disastrous, I was told I smelled terribly :-))
    Last edited by Alicka61; 6th January 2012 at 06:47 AM.

I go to swing dancing classes, and usually choose a different fragrance to wear each time (avoiding anything 'skanky', heavy or cloying as we tend to get pretty sweaty). When I am the 'follow' I get to dance with all the men, but sometimes if numbers are uneven I play the 'lead' and dance with all the women.

As well as getting to sniff a lot of strangers, I find it very interesting to observe that the women I dance with are vastly more compliment-giving than the men.

For example, every time I dance 'lead', at least one female dance partner will compliment me on my perfume. Last night I wore Lutens' Louve and it prompted someone to say how lovely I smelled and they wanted to know the name of the perfume.

I have also been recently complimented on YR's Pur Desir de Gardenia by a young woman who said I was the 'best smelling person in the room'. The women are also more likely to compliment me on my hair, makeup or clothing.

On the other hand, the men I dance with rarely say anything much at all to me! In two years of dancing, I have had just *one* spontaneous compliment from a man about my perfume: it was Ferre EDP (the one by Pierre Bourdon that's a fruity iris).

Luckily I don't care that much what others think of my fragrances -so long as I'm not overwhelming or offending them of course.

I love it when I can smell scent on the male dancers. Sometimes I ask them what they're wearing and it's usually something common like Joop! for Men or Obsession for Men.

Yohji, Magot, Mauboussin, Arabie, Comme des Garçons (the original EdP), Hinoki, A*Men, Ambre Précieux, Ambre Extrême, Voleur de Roses, DZING!

Coco and Salvador Dalí weren't just complimented but "stolen" by a friend (they gave her a headache, though, when she tried to wear them herself and she had the nerve to try to sell them to me...)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Good thread Ken!

My wife is complimented fairly often by other ladies when we go out.
    If you can call "excuse what are you wearing, I'd love to get some" a compliment lol.

for swap/sale:

tigrushka! What a story! How did you know she was the one who ''borroed'' them? And how could she try to sell them back to you?
    Where does the word ''friend'' come in???
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I give compliments TO myself! Sometimes in a loud voice. Let them roll their eyes...
    I'm going to do that, too!

Basenotes Member

My mom loves the original Kate Spade on me and I regularly bought her fb until it was discontinued recently........she said it reminded her of a flower in Korea that brought back fond memories. Other than that most mom's of little ones don't really wear too much fragrance at least that I can detect..we're all too busy running around and getting dirty to notice I suppose.
    Looking For - Guerlain Spiritueuese Double Vanille (full bottle, partial bottle, decant, anything), Profumum Roma Vanitas & Dulcis in Fundo, Farmacia SS Annunziata Cara

I don't often receive compliments on my fragrance, possibly because I don't spray too heavily. But recently a female friend said how wonderful I smelled and asked what it was: Casmir by Chopard.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Yohji, Magot, Mauboussin, Arabie, Comme des Garçons (the original EdP), Hinoki, A*Men, Ambre Précieux, Ambre Extrême, Voleur de Roses, DZING!

Coco and Salvador Dalí weren't just complimented but "stolen" by a friend (they gave her a headache, though, when she tried to wear them herself and she had the nerve to try to sell them to me...)
    With friends like that who needs enemies?

Really though, women seem to compliment other women on clothes, hair, shoes, handbags, makeup, figure, lifestyle etc. Guys seem to glare at other guys while they slowly swig their longneck Bud.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I'm actually more complimented by women than men about my perfumes.

Have learnt about so many fragrances because if I know the person I will compliment them on their fragrance.....mainly women. Men can be a little bit tricky.

Just love the waft of a beautiful fragrance as people go by.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Blog Entries

I do not see this simple gender comparison question as offensive.
    There are two men in my life who compliment my perfumes regularly, one is my husband (we have intimate conversations about perfume all the time), another is my best male friend, he and my husband play music together and he always doesn't just says, "you smell nice" but actually offers an association about the perfume I am wearing. We are "couples-friends", that is, me and Mr. W and M., my friend, and Ms. M. often spend time together since we have moved to Oregon.

Other than that, I think I am with Donna. Men won't comment on my perfumes, nails, etc. so that they are not seen as intruders giving uncalled-for comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    All my compliments come from women, I think perhaps because of the PC rules men are worried about approaching women with compliments.
    Women do compliment me on my scents, I had my neighbor hug me and ask what I was wearing and she kept saying how nice it smelled on me. A female friend at a party did not just complimented my 1740, but gave me a couple of long neck sniffs! Ugh, funny. I guess I should point her boyfriend in a right direction, but I doubt most of my friends would spend the kind of money on fragrance Other female friends compliment with less expressiveness but they still do. I guess in general I receive more compliments from women, and the two men who compliment my perfumes are very special.

I have had a few lady comments recently with a vintage Ma Griffe perfume strength, and with 24 Faubourg. I always used to get random females stopping me and asking when I wore Houbigant Ambergris long ago. The girls around my village know each other fairly well, and they know I mess with making perfume, so they are always sniffing me to see what I have got on. Only one friends man comments regularly, but then he is a bit of a perfumista himself. I think many females are happy to comment on others about all sorts of things. It just isn't rude for girls. Men are probably worried it might be taken the wrong way, so they may think it but not say...... Second thoughts... most won't notice or care unless it smells like beer or steak!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    With friends like that who needs enemies?

Really though, women seem to compliment other women on clothes, hair, shoes, handbags, makeup, figure, lifestyle etc. Guys seem to glare at other guys while they slowly swig their longneck Bud.
    LMAO! In many cultures that is sooooo TRUE!

I don't find the thread question offensive, either. Truth be told, I rarely get compliments about anything from anyone, (as opposed to my younger years). Culture here is so youth centric that women of a certain age just seem to cross some invisible line where they disappear from scrutiny. That's my wild theory, anyway.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

My perfume is rarely complimented by men or women. I am way more likely to get a compliment on how I look or maybe a pair of earrings than I am on my perfume. Sad as I would much prefer a compliment on the my scent.

I complimented a nurse drawing my blood at a clinic, and she was wearing Bath and Body Japanese Cherry Blossom.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I get the most compliments from women when I wear Alien. I love the reaction I get when I tell them the name of the perfume LOL! They're like the perfume is named what :-/ lol. I am definitely a heavy sprayer. I very rarely get told that I have on too much though. The folks that know me will say oh she always smells good. As far as strangers go, Alien is what usually stops them in their tracks.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    tigrushka! What a story! How did you know she was the one who ''borroed'' them? And how could she try to sell them back to you?
    Where does the word ''friend'' come in???
    She bought her own bottles, of course. But since both scents (especially Coco) were my signature scents then, I used the verb "steal" because that's how it felt.

But this is generally a good lesson about perfume: if it smells good on someone else, it's no guarantee that it will work for you. You MUST try the scent on your own skin to know whether it suits you or not.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Recent compliments on: Insolence parfum and EDP (sister), Y (female co-worker), Portrait of a Lady (female co-workers), Kelly Caleche (female co-workers and female dermatologist), Alien (female strangers), 31 Rue Cambon (female co-workers and male strangers), Philtre d'Amour (male co-worker), Corps et Ames (female co-workers and male friend), Alpona (female friend), Coco Mademoiselle (female co-worker), and Ysatis body cream (female co-worker).

There have been two occasions in the past several months that I "sensed" a male stranger's interest in my fragrance: once with 31 Rue Cambon and the other with Angel body lotion (older formulation in the pale blue stand up bottle). They should just ask me what I'm wearing - I'd happily tell them!

A question to Ken: Are you being sarcastic? I sure get the sarcastic vibe from the way you introduced your question and I find it funny, but others here seem to react seriously. So are you serious or not?

Well, I'm a gay woman and I believe it goes without saying that I get many an admiring compliment on my scents from other gay women. For the 'curious', I'd say that Portrait of a Lady, Soir de Lune, Habanita and Bandit ( ) garner the most attention.

Not that this is indicative of anything, of course

This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Habanitta View Post
    A question to Ken: Are you being sarcastic? I sure get the sarcastic vibe from the way you introduced your question and I find it funny, but others here seem to react seriously. So are you serious or not?

Great replies so far, and no, I am quite serious, not being sarcastic actually, I still, had doubts whether it was a socially acceptable and appropriate question, so I took my (incomplete and imperfect, I know) precautions, before I was to break or bend forum rules

In fact, the serious answers are exactly what I hoped for, since I simply wanted to know some frank, unbiased opinions regarding these particular compliments

But I can assure that my intention wasn't to be sarcastic at all and definitely not as much funny, as serious- thus, not offend or displease in any way

Replies have been, just as I said, great so far, and, if possible, it would be interesting to find out additional takes on the subject
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 7th January 2012 at 10:51 AM.

@Ken: Oh. Then I must say that I, too, find your question perfectly appropriate.

I understand what Habanitta is saying. I had the same though.
    "Strangest"? Ha! I remember questions such as "What should a dominatrix wear", "What says "trailer trash"" ...or worse...
    And no, it is not rude at all to ask people what perfumes garner compliments. Sometimes, it gets asked too much, and the "panty dropper" aspect is sure to irritate a lot of people. But..no...I don't think this was rude in anyway (just terribly convoluted ).

Thanks for asking! I've received compiments from women when wearing Hermes Kelly Caleche (EDT and EDP), Chanel's Bel Respiro, 31 rue Cambon, and No 5 Elixir Sensuelle, and Guerlain Rose Barbare.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    and the "panty dropper" aspect is sure to irritate a lot of people.
    If you have a look at the male fragrance discussion, this aspect is frequently discussed in reverse, and not considered irritating. In the context of this forum where scent is the main issue, should this type of question be really be considered out of bounds anyway? I don't think so, seeing as we are all grown up and the question is mostly posed with tongue in cheek. It is mostly relevant in scent terms, but again perhaps could be just be asked in a more eloquent fashion to avoid offence if any indeed be taken.

Great thread, Ken.

I complimented a woman on her scent in a dentist's office and she smiled and said it was Oscar de la Renta. Another time, I complimented a woman on her scent at the veterinarian's, asking, "Are you wearing Azuree?" She smiled and replied, "Why, yes!"

Blog Entries

Further to my earlier post, l neglected to mention that l have myself complimented other women on their fragrances a few times.
    Those that spring to mind are Stella & Alien on patients of mine, Diorissimo on a colleague, & Youth Dew on a local pub landlady; usually l can't stand it, but it works on her & it helps that she doesn't douse herself in it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My girl-on-girl-compliment-gettin' frags: Serge Lutens Chergui, Marilyn Miglin Pheremone (go figure), VC&A Bois d'Iris and Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Culture here is so youth centric that women of a certain age just seem to cross some invisible line where they disappear from scrutiny. That's my wild theory, anyway.
    I think that a lot of us girls here are of a certain vintage. Ha ha. Don't lose you mojo you gorgeous thing! I will give you a compliment. You are fabulous!

I think the circles you travel in make a huge difference. I teach, so I leave the heavy hitters at home when at school. However, I regularly get complimented on fragrances by co-workers and I suspect that is because we are mostly females and in a supportive and naturing environment where giving and receiving compliments is a lovely part of life. The sweetest compliment I have ever received was from a little girl who told me she wanted to smell good just like me when she grew up. My friends and I tend to embrace upon greeting, so we are often noticing each other's fragrances. Plus, some of us like to talk about fragrance so that is a part of it. Also, my mother-in-law is very much into perfume so she always notices what I am wearing.

Certain fragrances garner more compliments, for sure. However, that may be a reflection of what I am wearing them for (ie work) rather than their complexity or artistry. Most recently I have been complimented on Stella, Kelly Caleche (noted this has come up a lot on this thread- must be easy on the nose and different enough for people to notice), nos. 22 and 5, Le Dix, and Apres l"Ondee (my favorite btw). I don't wear masculines very much (hello- do you see the list before), however I do wear Eau Savage and Jicky (I know it is marketed to women now, but it is masculine to me) on occasion and I have had people compliment me on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I think that a lot of us girls here are of a certain vintage. Ha ha. Don't lose you mojo you gorgeous thing! I will give you a compliment. You are fabulous!
    Yes, you are, Knit!

I have complimented women on fragrances that I should have recognized, but that smelled so amazing on those women that I didn't: Arden Red Door, Aromatics Elixir.

I'm the one doing the complementing of other women most of the time, and usually it's when I smell Aromatics Elixer or Egyptian Goddess Musk on other women. A few times it has been Amazing Grace, and once it was Flowerbomb.

On me, in this highly conservative part of the country where women don't often wear fragrance, let alone single out strangers to compliment in public, the few time I have earned comments have been for No. 19 and Tocade. Roses. Yes. Once I was wearing 24, Faubourg, and someone said to someone else (not me) "What's that? I think I smell..." and then she mentioned the wrong perfume, but at least it was the name of something popular.

Oh, and the worst comment I overheard about me was, "I smell something...STRONG."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Yes indeed! And the lady on whom l smelled Alien was well into that "certain vintage", & she totally rocked it!

Yes I agree that women of a certain age do experience a certain dryness when it comes to attention.If only I had know this in college I would have taken more advantage of my opportunities.