• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Strangest and rudeest question ever: any of the Basenotes ladies got complimented by other ladies

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
I know that Basenotes will most likely be offended by those questions, but fed up with so many "compliment getting" (to put it mildly) threads mainly by male Basenoters, I simply wanted to ask, just for fun, which of the
female Basenoters actually got complimented on theirs scents by their OWN gender?
I know it's a silly, rude and shallow question, but I simply couldn't abstain from voicing and posting it,
but then again I am impressed by the sheer beauty, diversity and luxury of the fragrance wardrobes of Basenotes ladies and, besides, I think that ladies have less problems of simply talking more openly about fragrance, thus voicing more easily simple compliments without any other connotations or subtexts. I truly guess that being stylish is nothing to be ashamed of and easily leads to compliments, but also recommendations, style tips, fragrance advice candidly exchanged within one's own gender, not just with the opposite.
One more detail: even compliments for unisex or male fragrances worn by the ladies of Basenotes may be posted.

Hope this didn't offend too much and did not block any replies in advance.

bonsai

Jan 2, 2010
No need to apologise, I don't think your post is offensive in any way.

Got two compliments on Noa (pitty I don't like it anymore) from aquaintances hugging me at a reception. Compliments from my mother on Etro Dianthus and KM Ume. From my grandmother on SL Cedre, Chergui and (keep steady) Tommy Girl.

No other ladies have ever complimented me on my fragrance yet (probably working in a nearly all-male environment is part of the reason).

GelbeDomino

Aug 16, 2010
Yes, Epic Woman has gathered me more than a few compliments from other ladies and so has Rose Ikebana.
I generally don't get many compliments on my fragrance from either men or women.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I tend to get complimented by women when I wear Cristobal,
Cuir Beluga and Elixir des Merveilles. Women are usually more likely
to comment on a perfume than men IMO.

Leesee

May 15, 2008
I do get the occasional female compliment, and very rarely the female rave. Scents that other ladies have complimented recently: Ormonde Woman, N'Aimez que Moi, Ava Luxe Viva. Scents that received raves: Montale Oriental Flowers and Ormonde Woman.

GelbeDomino

Aug 16, 2010
Thinking better about it: I think it is salesladies who compliment my taste in fragrance most often. Probably because I am buying the scents no one else wants.

30 Roses

Oct 8, 2007
Not a rude question at all. This is New England and I think people do not compliment each other so freely here. At least, not strangers. My husband and daughter often tell me I smell good. :)

I can really only recall one compliment, from a woman, and that was for Yardley English Rose-- hardly a costly perfume. My mother received a compliment (from the female medical assistant at her Dr.'s office) on Fico di Amalfi which I had sprayed on her. And that's it!

I don't wear my scent for its effect on others so I really don't care.

OVincze

Sep 26, 2011
I have gotten a lot of compliments from other women on Love, Chloe, in fact most of them either bought it afterwards or it is on their want list:))), this is the fragrance I have gotten the most compliments on so far from both genders.

kumquat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 31, 2006
The crowd seems to go wild when I wear Serge Lutens Bois Oriental. It is quite a stunning fragrance, not for the faint at heart, but people seem to like it.

Fleurine

Apr 14, 2011
Narciso Rodriguez for Her the most by far, Kelly Caleche, and Carven Guirlandes.

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
I guess I get about the same number of compliments from both men and women, but I suppose it will always depends on the circumstances, and like 30Roses says, it also depends on where you are. I rarely got a compliment from anyone when I was in Milwaukee, but they occur pretty frequently in New Orleans. The last one was from a woman sitting next to me on the streetcar - she responded very favorably to my Coromandel.

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
On hair and perfume, way more compliments from women than from men.

I have had compliments on
Datura Blanche
Un Jardin sur le Toit (actually sold one of these for Hermes upon wearing it)
Reglisse Noire
Love etc

and lots of love for the smell of the Coffee Coco Curl Creme :)

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
I rarely get compliments but then I don't expect them.

All my compliments come from women, I think perhaps because of the PC rules men are worried about approaching women with compliments.

Cuir de Lancome
Ambre Sultan
Damn Blonde
Belle d'Opium
Cuir Ma(sorry brain gone blank on spelling!!) Serge Lutens

Creed Santal Imperial has got a few compliments it is classed as male.

G

Guest 3

Not offended at all, and I'd be happy to share what compliments I've received -- if I ever received any! Richmond is so convervative and reserved, rather like 30 Roses' New England. Who knows what they really think, they sure won't tell you. :0/ Or rather, only if they've known you their whole lives.

FrouFrou

Jun 17, 2010
It's a perfectly normal question.
of course I get compliments from other ladies, lately on Tabu and Balmain de Balmain.
And I give compliments myself if I smell something good.

Primrose

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 22, 2009
Ken, I get compliments from the EDT of Narcisse Noir, and the DH like the now discontinued Victoria's Secret Orange Flower in the EDP.

Another is SL Chergui.

I have had something said ill of my fragrances, but one co-worker genuinely had an allergy to one of my scents. It was not an offensive comment, but she requested that I not wear that one around her at work.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l frequently get compliments from my female work colleagues, on just about every perfume l wear, so too many to list here.
Compliments from female strangers are rarer, but occasionally one of my patients will remark favourably on what l'm wearing.
ln just the last few days l've received compliments on Armani Code, Cavalli Oro & Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon.

And l don't think the question is rude at all. lt makes a nice change from the usual "compliment getter" threads! :)