Today I'm finally wearing a sample of Bond No. 9 I Love NY for All, and I'm a bit surprised at how much I'm enjoying it so far. I always figured I wasn't into sweet scents, and the IDEA of gourmands didn't appeal to me, but this is really nice. Still, I don't know much about this category at all, apart from sniffing A*Men on test strips a few times (and not necessarily hating it). So, the question is, would the Bond No. 9 be one to go for, or are there others I should explore first? Is A*Men really that challenging and divisive to wear? How would it compare to I Love NY for All?
(My blind-buy bottle of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme is on its way, so there's that too.)
Those are two of my favorite gourmands, NY for all and LIDGE (finally came yesterday). Me, I am not so much an A*MEN fan so i wouldnt be able to give it a fair comparison and have not reached the point where I would wear it. Maybe you could look into Pure Havane and Pure Malt as an alternative to A*MEN if you find it to be a challenge to wear.
Please visit my SALES thread! HERE
A*Men may be a hate-or-love scent, but after certain testings, it is definitely not that hard to wear one gets used to it and decides that A*Men is likable enough to be worn
This scent was horrible on my skin...smelled like cheese ...gross...I like the original I love new york
L'Instant is wonderful, don't apply too much though! At first you will be tempted to but it changes and you should learn how to wear it starting with just a spray or two.
I wore New Haarlem yesterday for the first real wearing. I thought I would just like it based on a card sampling but it really works for me. You may want to try that one too.
Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites...
1. Epic Man by Amouage (21 wears)
2. M7 by Eves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
3. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (18 wears)
4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (14 wears)
5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (12 wears)
6. Fate Man by Amouage (11 wears)
7. Terre d'Hermes by Hermes (11 wears plus - often not recorded go to scent)
8. Interlude Man by Amouage (11 wears)
9. Journey Man by Amouage (11 wears)
10. Plum Japonais by Tom Ford, Bullion by Byredo, Piper Nigrum by a Lorenzo Villorosi, Pulp by Byredo, Santal Royal by Guerlain (9 wears)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
You have the best on it's way to you in L'Instant Extreme, a fantastic vanille/cocoa semi gourmand fragrance. It smells great and lasts twelve hours plus. Good purchase.
Tonka Imperiale is definitely my current favorite gourmand!
If you like that one, then I also think that Bond no. 9 So New York, Bond no. 9 New Haarlem, and Rochas Man may be worth trying.
Les Nombres d'Or Vanille by Mona di Orio is my favorite gourmand. Frapin 1270 is also one I like and recommend.
Current Top Favorites:
1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
4) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie
6) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
ambre narguile is my favorite.
AMEN will be potent if you are used to lighter scents
Rochas Man is a great inexpensive gourmand. I also enjoy New Haarlem, Pure Havane (a lot), Pure Malt and A*Men.
I second Rochas man. Its underrated
A*Men is very high quality, so you've got nothing to worry about there. In fact, it's a benchmark fragrance. Try it with a single spray to the chest, and go from there. I personally like the opening, but the drydown is absolutely brilliant.
New Haarlem is pure gold in a bottle, check that one out too.
I really enjoy New Haarlem, Pure Havane, Musc Ravaguer, Back to Black and Tobacco Vanille.