Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 56 of 56
  1. #1

    Default Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I have been looking for Decadence perfume for years. I first purchased it at Harrod's in London. They do not carry it any longer in the departments stores in the U.S.
    Fragrance.net, however, does offer "unboxed bottles" of only 1 ounce of it in a very generic bottle. I have my beautiful old bottle and it has an art decco shape and beautiful black cap. Their bottle retains the shape but comes with a plain gold top.
    Also, they advertise "Free Shipping on any order" and then when you check out it tells you that you must spend $70 to get free shipping. I received an e-mail from them this morning that said 15% off for 1 hour, then when I went to order the item and tried to use that coupon it didn't honor it.
    Either it is a very badly run site or it is fraudulent. My perfume is 2 FL OZ. I am afraid to order it, even for $15.79 (American Dollars)
    Anybody have an experience with this website or know of another website that has the real Decadence?
    Thank you.
    Diana

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Fragrancenet is a legitimate site. As many sites do, they offer "tester" bottles of certain fragrances at great discounts. They aren't fancy. They usually have no box and frequently not even a top/cap. Maybe the one you're looking at is something like that. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it though, especially if it's very hard to find.

    I don't know about international shipping, but within the U.S., it's free if the order is over $70. If it's under that amount, you pay shipping. Sometimes they send out "free shipping" codes, too. But you can only use one code per order. You can't combine codes for discounts off fragrances and free shipping codes.

    I don't know why your 15% off coupon didn't work. Try this one and get 20% off. It's been a good code for nearly a month (that I know of). But you better hurry. It might only last one more day.

    TSPECP20

  3. #3

    Default

    yes fragrancenet is probably the most legitimate/popular online retailer, their products are 100% authentic

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    Kiliwia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5,187

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I've had good luck with Fragrancenet. Another you can try is BeautyEncounter, they are a good company with a nice selection.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Fragrancenet is by all reports a legitimate operation, but it doesn't mean it's a good one. I always got a bad vibe from them and did not like the way they did business. The OP has pinpointed several details that bugged me too, although I did not have the international shipping issues. I found particularly annoying the way they bombarded me with emails saying "we're searching our warehouse now for your scent!, we found your fragrance!". I mean, if you're not sure you have the bottles, then don't advertise them and don't take money for them. The few times I ordered from them, the packages were poorly put together and came with a bunch of cheesy fliers for other businesses, not fragrance related. I've never been tempted to return.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    They are fine. I've ordered from them three times now especially when there's a 15%-20% discount coupon.
    I have noticed that some people have had issues when paying with Paypal - I pay with ccard.
    Their packaging is rubbish so don't expect the packaging of your fragrances to arrive in top condition.

    For cheap purchase though they are good.

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I think you mean fragrancenet.com not fragrance.net. Yes they are reliable.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Plus
    Kiliwia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5,187

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Forgot to say, "Welcome to Basenotes", we're glad you're here!!

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I f##king HATE fragrancenet. I do not care whether their products are authentic, it is a company with disgusting business practices - they send open box stuff when its supposed to be new. The bottles are not even all the way full!! Like, what the hell? I didnt buy no testers. Ultimately, ZERO customer service.

    I sent return to them recently - no refund whatsoever, way past their 14 days wait provision (tracking info shows return delivered to Deer Park NY, thats where they are located). IMPOSSIBLE to get through on the phone during business hours, which are M-F 9-5. Not even extended hours like normal reputable companies would have.

    I am totally done with these lowlifes. They think they have cheaper prices and therefore they can do whatever they want. WRONG! I would rather pay more and deal with companies that stand behind their business.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I f##king HATE fragrancenet. I do not care whether their products are authentic, it is a company with disgusting business practices - they send open box stuff when its supposed to be new. The bottles are not even all the way full!! Like, what the hell? I didnt buy no testers. Ultimately, ZERO customer service.

    I sent return to them recently - no refund whatsoever, way past their 14 days wait provision (tracking info shows return delivered to Deer Park NY, thats where they are located). IMPOSSIBLE to get through on the phone during business hours, which are M-F 9-5. Not even extended hours like normal reputable companies would have.

    I am totally done with these lowlifes. They think they have cheaper prices and therefore they can do whatever they want. WRONG! I would rather pay more and deal with companies that stand behind their business.
    Wow, I find it very strange you've had such bad experiences with them. I haven't had a single problem, ever.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    OP just Google for fragrancenet coupons and you will easily find the 21 percent off coupon.

    One really crappy thing about them is that they claim they ship to my country India...well and good, I went ahead and placed an order and money also went out from my account as per the bank email.

    Some time later I see that they have declined the payment and sent me a mail saying please use "wire transfer" to pay for the purchase!!!

    Am like...wtf! So I write back to them offering to use paypal to make the payment again thinking that as the first time I had used a direct card payment and being the first ever order they may have some security concerns.

    I get a reply back saying nope for my country no card or even paypal accepted only wire transfer for each and every order! No explanations offered why!

    So ended up asking them to cancel it and deleted the bookmark and will never bother to go back to their site again

    First online shopping experience amongst these many years where somebody has asked for only wire transfer!

    Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

  13. #13
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,659

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Wow, I find it very strange you've had such bad experiences with them. I haven't had a single problem, ever.
    Nor have I ever had a problem in the years I've done business with them. What I'm not crazy about is how their shipping has slowed over the years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nor have I ever had a problem in the years I've done business with them. What I'm not crazy about is how their shipping has slowed over the years.
    Yes, this is my only complaint about them. But for the $ saved...I don't mind.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    its not legit
    no such site as fragrance.net

  16. #16
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    its not legit
    no such site as fragrance.net
    fragrancenet.com is the site

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by out of smoke View Post
    I think you mean fragrancenet.com not fragrance.net
    fragrance.net redirects to fragrancenet.com - both domains are owned by the same company and go to the same online store.

    Never had a single problem with fragrancenet.com - and I've placed probably 40-50 orders with them. Only once they cancelled an item that they run out of, but they issued refund instantly, no waiting. Every single bottle I ever purchased through them was 100% new, shrink wrapped, no issues. I do know they sell some testers and open box items - I never purchase those to save a few bucks, always pick the new in box versions and at least so far I'm 100% happy with every transaction I personally placed with them.

    EDIT: I should perhaps add... to be fair, their shipping has slowed down over the years, now it takes over a week to get packages from them, sometimes almost two full weeks. And their customer service response time is lacking - there has been one time I sent a note to their customer service and they have not responded until couple days after I already received the package. It wasn't a major issue so I didn't bother to follow up.
    Last edited by remik; 22nd February 2014 at 07:44 PM.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    its not legit
    no such site as fragrance.net
    Have you even tried before writing this??

    fragrance.net simply redirects to fragrancenet.com

  19. #19
    Dependent caferacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nor have I ever had a problem in the years I've done business with them. What I'm not crazy about is how their shipping has slowed over the years.
    Agreed. My last two orders from them took over a week just to leave their warehouse, despite the fact they had bottles in stock and had already charged my credit card.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Have you even tried before writing this??

    fragrance.net simply redirects to fragrancenet.com
    Exactly

    No such site as fragrance.net

    If this.com redirects to that.com, that means there is no such site as this.com.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Exactly

    No such site as fragrance.net

    If this.com redirects to that.com, that means there is no such site as this.com.
    You do understand the concept of domain aliases, right? Because it sounds like you don't. You implied in your message that fragrance.net "its not legit" without an explanation as to why or how you came to this conclusion, considering fragrance.net IS real domain name and it redirects to fragrancenet.com. For all intents and purposes these two are 100% interchangeable since both end up in the same online store. Who knows how many other domain names they've registered that fit their marketing and SEO needs? As long as they all resolve, and all resolve to fragrancenet.com - who cares "how" you got there? You may have as well typed "fragrance net" in google search and clicked on the first search result.

    Ergo "fragrance.net" is legit. There's nothing fake or phony about it.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    They are two sites, each with a different IP address, that are owned and operated by the same folk. They have about 275 websites, all mirror sites of fragrancenet.com with redirects to it. Well, I think they are. I didn't check all of them.

    If there was no such site, you'd get an error message saying something along the lines of "Sorry we could not find..."


    http://whoisology.com/email/ja@fragrancenet.com

    Adding: Okay, I found at least one of their sites that doesn't redirect. It is just a big white screen: fragrancenetsucks.com
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd February 2014 at 09:13 PM.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I buy lots of things from fragrancenet.com and I have never had a problem. Once I received something for my husband that leaked. They replaced it immediately as soon as I called them and credited my account. They did ask me to send the leaky mess back. It was some off-the-wall Bermuda thing for my husband and the manufacturers packaging was not the best. The replacement arrived in good condition.

    I'm always getting coupons and whenever I go to their site recently the first thing that pops up is a coupon for 20% off. Don't know why you are having a problem. They have coupons for 15% and 20% all over the place.

    I consider them to be very reputable and as a matter of fact I'm getting ready to order from them in a few minutes and I expect to at least be offered 15% off.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  24. #24

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    I consider them to be very reputable and as a matter of fact I'm getting ready to order from them in a few minutes and I expect to at least be offered 15% off.
    Don't go by what they offer you, you can ALWAYS just google the 21% off coupon... right now I believe it is NA4VD.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Don't go by what they offer you, you can ALWAYS just google the 21% off coupon... right now I believe it is NA4VD.
    Your absolutely right. If I get offered 15% I usually go fish for 20% and usually find it.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  26. #26

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Have any of you ever ordered a Creed from FragranceNet? Im not sure if I should just go for It, or save up a bit more and have peace of mind. I don't want to spend $150 and get spoiled juice. Any advice Is much appreciated, Thanks guys!

  27. #27

  28. #28
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Fragrancenet is by all reports a legitimate operation, but it doesn't mean it's a good one. I always got a bad vibe from them and did not like the way they did business. The OP has pinpointed several details that bugged me too, although I did not have the international shipping issues. I found particularly annoying the way they bombarded me with emails saying "we're searching our warehouse now for your scent!, we found your fragrance!". I mean, if you're not sure you have the bottles, then don't advertise them and don't take money for them. The few times I ordered from them, the packages were poorly put together and came with a bunch of cheesy fliers for other businesses, not fragrance related. I've never been tempted to return.
    I know this is an older post, but I wanted to reply, anyway. I also get "a bad vibe" from them. One of their minis I looked at said "regular price $20", which is ridiculous, and makes me think they play price games. Here are some bad reviews: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.fragrancenet.com Yes, they claim their products are 100% authentic, but does that stop them from adding *extra alcohol* to them? I honestly believe myperfumesamples adds extra alcohol to their samples because they DON'T smell like they should. But still they get away with claiming to be authentic. (My theory is this: their products are still "authentic" as long as they aren't fake, although they add alcohol.)
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 11th June 2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  29. #29

    Angry Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I would advise everyone to be very prudent when ordering from fragrancenet.com. They are hit and miss. Personally, I have had no problems with their shipping, and all of the dozen or so orders that I have placed with them arrived quickly. Having said that, however, I have found that the fragrances are not always authentic.

    I recently purchased a bottle of Balenciaga's Florabotanica from fragrancenet.com. Even with the coupon and the discount, it was expensive. The eau du parfum arrived in what appeared to be legitimate packaging and the box was surrounded with cellophane wrap. The juice itself, however, was watered down with alcohol to the degree that you couldn't detect the scent. I am 100% sure that I was sold either a cheap fake or a genuine factice. In either case, it made me very angry. Like anyone else, I don't like to be conned.

    From this point forward, I will opt to spend the extra money at a parfumerie or department store. I will never again waste my money on a factice.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I am so disappointed to hear this. I too have ordered from fragrancenet.com but to my knowledge they have never advantage of me. I am so sorry this happened to you but it does make me take notice.

    Have you called them to make a return? I definitely would do that and get my money back. If they refuse you may be able to dispute the purchase with your credit card company. In any case, I would definitely contact them and get a return authorized. Even at a discount their prices are not cheap.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  31. #31

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    I know this is an older post, but I wanted to reply, anyway. I also get "a bad vibe" from them. One of their minis I looked at said "regular price $20", which is ridiculous, and makes me think they play price games. Here are some bad reviews: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.fragrancenet.com Yes, they claim their products are 100% authentic, but does that stop them from adding *extra alcohol* to them? I honestly believe myperfumesamples adds extra alcohol to their samples because they DON'T smell like they should. But still they get away with claiming to be authentic. (My theory is this: their products are still "authentic" as long as they aren't fake, although they add alcohol.)
    please explain this 'adding alcohol' theory as far as fragrancenet is concerned... how exactly would they go about doing this with brand new bottles? thanks.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    please explain this 'adding alcohol' theory as far as fragrancenet is concerned... how exactly would they go about doing this with brand new bottles? thanks.
    And furthermore, what do they do with the fragrance that they have to remove from the bottles in order to add the alcohol? I suppose they have a bunch of empty manufacturers bottles lying around which they fill half way and then top off with more alcohol? Some people are so paranoid, it's unbelievable.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 24th June 2014 at 04:51 AM.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    And furthtound which they fill half way and then top off with more alcohol? Some people are so paranoid, it's unbelievable.
    I too would like to know the answer to these questions. The labor alone to do this would raise the price -- if it was even possible to do.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  34. #34
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    please explain this 'adding alcohol' theory as far as fragrancenet is concerned... how exactly would they go about doing this with brand new bottles? thanks.
    I never mentioned "brand new bottles", I was referring to their SAMPLE vials. Samples can EASILY be tampered with.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 25th June 2014 at 12:35 AM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  35. #35
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    And furthermore, what do they do with the fragrance that they have to remove from the bottles in order to add the alcohol? I suppose they have a bunch of empty manufacturers bottles lying around which they fill half way and then top off with more alcohol? Some people are so paranoid, it's unbelievable.
    Are you calling me paranoid for simply acknowledging the fact that my samples didn't smell right, and I see no other way to claim "no knockoffs" unless alcohol was added?
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 25th June 2014 at 01:06 AM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  36. #36
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    I too would like to know the answer to these questions. The labor alone to do this would raise the price -- if it was even possible to do.
    Labor alone? How much labor would it cost to add a little bit of alcohol to sample vials? Seriously?
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  37. #37
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Who the hell buys samples from fragrancenet? They have nothing better to do, than create half-fake samples and sell them for a very nominal profit? Really??

  38. #38
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    This dead horse is beaten to death. Fragnet is perfectly legitimate. Other than a handful of inventory tracking issues, where items ended up being out of stock, I've never head an actual, legitimate issue with any of their practices. Like any other business in the world, you can dig up a handful of bad reviews and paranoid questions online ... but that doesn't make them illegitimate as a fragrance retailer.

    If you purchased something that you're not happy with, contact the retailer and return it for a refund. Don't just whine all over the internet and fuel the fire of paranoia.

    If you choose not to purchase from them, great ... that just saves more of the good deals for me and the rest of BN.

    [/soapbox]

  39. #39
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This dead horse is beaten to death. Fragnet is perfectly legitimate. Other than a handful of inventory tracking issues, where items ended up being out of stock, I've never head an actual, legitimate issue with any of their practices. Like any other business in the world, you can dig up a handful of bad reviews and paranoid questions online ... but that doesn't make them illegitimate as a fragrance retailer.

    If you purchased something that you're not happy with, contact the retailer and return it for a refund. Don't just whine all over the internet and fuel the fire of paranoia.

    If you choose not to purchase from them, great ... that just saves more of the good deals for me and the rest of BN.

    [/soapbox]
    "Don't just whine all over the internet"? Gee, I am sorry, I thought that was what Basenotes was for: to discuss fragrance, both good AND BAD experiences. Now to find that Ignore function, so I won't be annoyed by further rude posts from you. I never learned to deal very well with rude people.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 25th June 2014 at 01:45 AM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  40. #40

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    I never mentioned "brand new bottles", I was referring to their SAMPLE vials. Samples can EASILY be tampered with.
    Ok, the question still applies - what do they do with the fragrance that they remove from the vials? Dump it down the drain?


    Why would a company water down the samples of the products they're trying to sell? Those samples are meant to entice you into buying a full bottle, what good would come from watering them down? Makes no sense.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 25th June 2014 at 03:09 AM.

  41. #41
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Ok, the question still applies - what do they do with the fragrance that they remove from the vials? Dump it down the drain?


    Why would a company water down the samples of the products they're trying to sell? Those samples are meant to entice you into buying a full bottle, what good would come from watering them down? Makes no sense.
    It doesn't make sense to me, either. But I can only speak about my OWN experience, and the samples I got from My Perfume Samples did NOT smell like they should, I wasn't talking about Fragrance net. And the ONLY explanation I can find is they MIGHT have added alcohol. As I said before, adding alcohol is the only thing they could have done to change it without straying from their "100% authentic" promise. Obviously, nobody agrees with me, and that's fine. I am entitled to my own opinion without being called "paranoid" and a "whiner" for simply stating my opinion.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  42. #42

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    Labor alone? How much labor would it cost to add a little bit of alcohol to sample vials? Seriously?
    Seriously!
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  43. #43

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    They are a good legit company but not a perfected one. Though I had luck with them getting legit fragrances there were so...cosmetic problems but was able to overlook it. For example, Got my Bond 9 Riverside Drive and smells just like it should BUT the packaging you could tell has been opened before and perhaps it was returned by another customer and they resold it. Got New Haarlem before I got Riverside and the packaging was good and the juice was good. Got Aventus at BeautyEncounter.com and the cap wasn't staying on correctly but other than that it's normal.

  44. #44
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,145

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    I use fragrancenet fairly often and never had a complaint about authenticity. What they sell is real and the savings can be substantial. Shipping can be slow. My only issue with them is their lame website that does not keep track of inventory, or their habit of listing highly desirable fragrances that are not in stock. I mean, when you order an item and get a confirmation number only to get a message a couple of days later that the item is not in stock, it makes the consumer angry. They should honor all sales that are confirmed! Three of my last four purchasses have been cancelled because the item is "out of stock". When I contacted them to complain I got a form letter. This is a bad business practice and one that shows their lack of concern for the customer's order and disrespect for their customers in general. Their prices are great but don't rely on having your order completed even if confirmed.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  45. #45
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,659

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    They are my preferred online retailer for cheapies when I can't get to the wholesale fragrance district in NYC and even though they're slow shipping merchandise, for these, it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as they arrive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Hednic, where is the wholesale fragrance district in NYC? I go up fairly often.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  47. #47
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,659

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Hednic, where is the wholesale fragrance district in NYC? I go up fairly often.
    On Broadway between about 23rd and 32nd Street and all intersecting streets.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    And furthermore, what do they do with the fragrance that they have to remove from the bottles in order to add the alcohol? I suppose they have a bunch of empty manufacturers bottles lying around which they fill half way and then top off with more alcohol? Some people are so paranoid, it's unbelievable.
    Not paranoid at all, my friend. This company sells factices as the "real deal." Do you know what a factice is? Most fragrance companies provide "dummies" (or "factice" in French) to department stores for the purpose of merchandising. These factices appear exactly like the real fragrance that is sold; only, factices contain a very, very watered down juice because they are for display purposes only. They are not the same thing as testers.

    Another way in which fragrancenet.com can sell you a watered down fragrance---or one that smells vastly different from the original---is that they acquire them from a factory other than one in the home of origin of the fragrance. Case in point? Maja which is manufactured in Spain. I bought this lovely fragrance from fragrancenet.com, and I immediately noticed that it smelled completely different from the real Maja. This one smelled like a spicy, cheap men's cologne. After inspecting the bottle and the box carefully, I found out why the Maja that I purchased from fragrancenet.com smelled so odd. Instead of being manufactured in Spain, the packaging specified that it was manufactured in Mexico. To me, that spells "knock off."

  49. #49

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by fragrancelover21 View Post
    Not paranoid at all, my friend. This company sells factices as the "real deal." Do you know what a factice is? Most fragrance companies provide "dummies" (or "factice" in French) to department stores for the purpose of merchandising. These factices appear exactly like the real fragrance that is sold; only, factices contain a very, very watered down juice because they are for display purposes only. They are not the same thing as testers.

    Another way in which fragrancenet.com can sell you a watered down fragrance---or one that smells vastly different from the original---is that they acquire them from a factory other than one in the home of origin of the fragrance. Case in point? Maja which is manufactured in Spain. I bought this lovely fragrance from fragrancenet.com, and I immediately noticed that it smelled completely different from the real Maja. This one smelled like a spicy, cheap men's cologne. After inspecting the bottle and the box carefully, I found out why the Maja that I purchased from fragrancenet.com smelled so odd. Instead of being manufactured in Spain, the packaging specified that it was manufactured in Mexico. To me, that spells "knock off."
    Ok.

    Have you ever heard of reformulation? Apparently that scent is now only made in Mexico. I'll just leave this here..

    http://perfumeposse.com/2009/01/20/maja-old-and-new/

    Next?
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 27th July 2014 at 03:53 PM.

  50. #50
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by fragrancelover21 View Post
    Another way in which fragrancenet.com can sell you a watered down fragrance---or one that smells vastly different from the original---is that they acquire them from a factory other than one in the home of origin of the fragrance. Case in point? Maja which is manufactured in Spain. I bought this lovely fragrance from fragrancenet.com, and I immediately noticed that it smelled completely different from the real Maja. This one smelled like a spicy, cheap men's cologne. After inspecting the bottle and the box carefully, I found out why the Maja that I purchased from fragrancenet.com smelled so odd. Instead of being manufactured in Spain, the packaging specified that it was manufactured in Mexico. To me, that spells "knock off."
    Maja is a fragrance from the house of Myrurgia, and although Myrurgia is a Spanish-based house, it is owned by parent company Puig. A simple search on this company reveals that "Puig currently has five production plants, four of them located in Europe and another one in Mexico, producing 331 million units of perfume each year."

    And as to why it smelled like a cheap men's cologne? That's probably because Maja is a cheap cologne. I didn't even have to try hard, and I found a brand new bottle online for around $14.

    I'm also pretty sure that most of us around here are aware of what factice bottles are, and I think it's a real stretch to claim that a legitimate business would acquire large amounts of them and sell them as brand new bottles. There simply isn't enough to be gained by doing that. It's a conspiracy theory at best...

  51. #51

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by fragrancelover21 View Post
    Not paranoid at all, my friend. This company sells factices as the "real deal." Do you know what a factice is? Most fragrance companies provide "dummies" (or "factice" in French) to department stores for the purpose of merchandising. These factices appear exactly like the real fragrance that is sold; only, factices contain a very, very watered down juice because they are for display purposes only. They are not the same thing as testers.

    Another way in which fragrancenet.com can sell you a watered down fragrance---or one that smells vastly different from the original---is that they acquire them from a factory other than one in the home of origin of the fragrance. Case in point? Maja which is manufactured in Spain. I bought this lovely fragrance from fragrancenet.com, and I immediately noticed that it smelled completely different from the real Maja. This one smelled like a spicy, cheap men's cologne. After inspecting the bottle and the box carefully, I found out why the Maja that I purchased from fragrancenet.com smelled so odd. Instead of being manufactured in Spain, the packaging specified that it was manufactured in Mexico. To me, that spells "knock off."
    I don't think that because > 99% of the time, fragrancenet sells genuine juice, there aren't the rare occasions when something slips by them. Fragrancenet seems to get their goods from a variety of sources and I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they get stuff from stores that have gone out of business or otherwise have less ability to exercise quality control. If they tested all their bottles, they would have to sell bottles as used or raise prices. Most BN members have reported positive experiences buying from them. If they were knowingly selling factices (really?!), watering down juice themselves, selling knockoffs, etc., I believe more long-time members would have spoken up and they'd be cast in the same light as places like 1stperfume dot com.

    I know they aren't perfect. No store is. Even Barneys.com and NeimanMarcus.com mess up sometimes. What matters to me is what they do when there's an issue and how often these issues arise. I recently bought an unboxed bottle of Amouage from them. I didn't spray it, so have no opinion regarding the juice, because after looking at the bottle, I decided to use their return policy and send it back at their expense for a full refund. I called, using the number I easily found on their website and was sent a mailing label that included tracking with no argument from them at all. Once they get it, they'll refund me or I'll use paypal to get my $$ back.

    Spreading false rumors about a company or making baseless accusations is not cool and puts basenotes in the position of having provided a platform for vilification/libel. Please read what Maja's US distributor has to say about where Maja is manufactured at their website in FAQ #4.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 27th July 2014 at 04:28 PM.
    "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway

  52. #52

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Spreading false rumors about a company or making baseless accusations is not cool and puts basenotes in the position of having provided a platform for vilification/libel.[/URL]
    This bears repeating in bold.

  53. #53
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by fragrancelover21 View Post
    Not paranoid at all, my friend. This company sells factices as the "real deal." Do you know what a factice is? Most fragrance companies provide "dummies" (or "factice" in French) to department stores for the purpose of merchandising. These factices appear exactly like the real fragrance that is sold; only, factices contain a very, very watered down juice because they are for display purposes only. They are not the same thing as testers.

    Another way in which fragrancenet.com can sell you a watered down fragrance---or one that smells vastly different from the original---is that they acquire them from a factory other than one in the home of origin of the fragrance. Case in point? Maja which is manufactured in Spain. I bought this lovely fragrance from fragrancenet.com, and I immediately noticed that it smelled completely different from the real Maja. This one smelled like a spicy, cheap men's cologne. After inspecting the bottle and the box carefully, I found out why the Maja that I purchased from fragrancenet.com smelled so odd. Instead of being manufactured in Spain, the packaging specified that it was manufactured in Mexico. To me, that spells "knock off."
    Thank you for understanding, and explaining, and not calling me "paranoid" like some others did. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 27th July 2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  54. #54
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    spreading false rumors about a company or making baseless accusations is not cool and puts basenotes in the position of having provided a platform for vilification/libel. Please read what maja's us distributor has to say about where maja is manufactured at their website in faq #4.
    This

  55. #55

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-on-Holiday View Post
    Thank you for understanding, and explaining, and not calling me "paranoid" like some others did. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
    He/she does not understand, nor did they explain anything with any kind of accuracy. You are both paranoid. I can't tell you how little I understand your logic/reasoning.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Is fragrance.net reliable?

    There is a Code of Conduct applying here which some posters might benefit from reading.

    Please pay attention to paras. # 1.2. and 1.3. before making any further derogatory and unsubstantiated statements.

    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members

    Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Similar Threads

  1. senseonline reliable?
    By subutex in forum Internet Shopping and City Shopping Guides
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th August 2011, 12:06 PM
  2. Scentedmonkey.com is it RELIABLE
    By justinmonty in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th March 2010, 03:29 AM
  3. How reliable is Agarscents Bazaar?
    By Bitter-orange in forum Internet Shopping and City Shopping Guides
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th April 2009, 02:04 PM
  4. Is Scentdirect.com reliable
    By surileo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd October 2008, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •