Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 7, 2012 *** ORIENTAL

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2011
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 7, 2012 *** ORIENTAL

Oh goodness! The SnS weekend is coming around fast this month!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 7, 2012 *** ORIENTAL

soooo many lovelies to choose from this month.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I love orientals!
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good, I love starting S&S with a sync Friday.
    It is Epic Woman by Amouage for me today, but I have a strange experience with it. I expected it somehow to be a lot more spicy, a lot more oriental. It is a much gentler, much subtler fragrance than I braced myself for.

Would I be correct to call it an office appropriate oriental? I am still not sure. I think I am wonderfully and subtly fragrant, but Mr. W came home for lunch and experienced smelling a trail of me as I walked past him in our front yard. This one might be a dangerous little number, like mead that you drink like water and then cannot get up from the table! (not an experience I had, but a friend shared it). I may or may not wear it regularly, but I am enjoying it today.

LOL @ ''an office appropriate oriental''!

I'm in the Tabu again, from the synch of yesterday I don't get a lot of the reviews about it, I think it fun, spicey, and oriental, and it has such a subtle intelligent drydown, and very often I get a whiff of something citrussy, in the drydown! Isn't that very weird?
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I am wearing "Caravelle Epicιe" and it smells just an arabian caravan of spices. I can see Berber nomads, their faces covered with cloth to protect them from the sun and sand, riding in single file with miles and miles of desert surrounding them, their bags packed with fragrant spices from some oasis market. This scent ist wonderfully warm and dry, with just a tinge of sweet creaminess in the background. It's chasing away the dreary gray winter sky we have here today.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wearing Safran Troublant AP. Got it in the set of three "spices", and, to be honest, it's my least favourite of all three. I was expecting an impression of an oriental spice market, instead I've got a very quiet smell of sweet saffron, which was gone without a trace after a couple of hours. No wonder I hardly ever use it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I own a lot of orientals but it was easy choosing this morning: vintage Shalimar parfum, for me the reference oriental in my collection.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone!

I'm in the spicy and warm oriental Oro, by Roberto Cavali. Oro was created by Maurice Roucel in 2004, and includes notes of magnolia, coriander, orris, pepper, apricot, patchouli, cinnamon, freesia, cedar, sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla and guaiac wood. Y'all might find this crazy, but I get a lot of iris from this, and it actually brings to mind Iris Ganache ...an unsweetened, no-white-chocolate version of it. With or without the ganache, both are divine.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Now in Creed Orange Spice. Later it'll be Opium pour Homme EdP. I'm fond of both, but don't wear them that often. Orange Spice this morning - I'm thinking I should move it toward the front of my collection. Might be that it's working better on a chilly morning than on the warmer spring and summer days that I usually reserve it for. Still, my opinion is: needs to be spicer, and more orangey. Opium pour Homme EdP - I've had the EdT in my collection for a couple of years now. Finally found the EdP version online. Yes, it is worth having both. No surprise, the EdP is richer and longer-lasting than the EdT. Oriental sniff-n-speak is a good excuse to break it out.

Post Thanks / Like

FrouFrou, I love Tabu. I pick up a lot of orange in it, too.

Klute and I are on the same page today...thinking of caravans (see my impressions of my SotD below).

tdem1961, I almost wore Shalimar edc this morning. I haven't worn it in a long time. Maybe this evening.

Evangeline, Hillaire loves Cavalli Oro as well. She was talking about it on the thread where someone was looking for a replacement for Lagerfeld KL. It sounds lovely!

mrcologneguy, orange + spice is one of my favorite combinations of scents.

I decided on Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane for Sniff n' Speak...

Top Note: Red pepper, rose
    Middle Note: Patchouli, ciste labdanum
    Base Note: Myrrh, Incense, Vanilla, Moss

From a decant sent to me last year by a very kind Basenoter. This smells like my fantasy idea of “The Orient”…I imagine another age - caravans traveling along trade routes, the smells of cargo of resins and incense and other precious good smelling things wafting through desert breezes, sleeping under a starry sky. It is simultaneously outdoorsy and incensy and adventurous. All of these are my personal associations, of course. Which is the primary reason I wear and love fragrance – they evoke journeys of the mind and heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oro is indeed lovely, & is one of my go-to work scents for winter.

Eau d'Iparie sounds wonderful too, lilybelle!

Well, as l own & regularly wear so many orientals, this evening l thought l'd break out one l haven't worn in a while; Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld. l have just a few mls left of the bottle l bought in the '90's, & as it brings back so many memories for me, l still wear it occasionally, just for old times' sake. l must admit l don't love it as much as l used to, & recently sold my back-up bottle.
    But it is a great example of the genre, & quite unique. The combo of freesia, peach, orange blossom & amber is unmistakeable & unlike anything else l've smelled. One just needs to go easy on the trigger though, as this can be headache-inducing if overdone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I Profumi di Firenze- Tulipano Negro

I'm wearing this incredible scent from Italy that nobody seems to have. I highly recommend it. This is a quote from the Perfumed Court. It is deep and heavenly in it's spicy accord.

The particulars: Rose, lily of the valley and ylang ylang, bitter orange, mandarin, bergamot, vanilla orchid, myrrh and vetiver.

Just steps away from the Piazza della Signoria in Florence lies the tiny Spezierie Erboristerie Palazzao Vecchio which houses the incredible line of i Profumi di Firenze. This line is an all non-synthetic line inspired by the original formulas of the XVI century, commissioned to the Florentine cosmetic artisans by Caterina de Medici. They are all handmade. Perfumer and chemist Dr. Giovanni di Massimo found these recipes on an original manuscript buried in the mud after the big flood in Florence in 1966. The majority of these fragrances are not distributed in the United States and this is the only location in which to purchase them. Tulipano Nero (Black Tulip) is a deep, spicy, almost smoky floral that is really beautiful. It is an eau de parfum, edp.
    Last edited by kumquat; 7th January 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kumquat: Tulipano Nero sounds wonderful. I'd love to hear your description of it!

I am not by nature, a wearer of orientals. Last year (or was it 2 years ago??) for Oriental SNS, I wore Chanel's Coco, and loved the ride that day but never wore it again. Orientals, particularly as they dry down, tend to run over me like a steam roller.

Today, I am wearing Chanel Coramandel (from a sample). First impressions: lovely, dark, black earth (one of my favorite scents) which is very well done (usually, patchouli walks all over the steam roller that's rolling all over me). And there's some sweetness, like crunchy, browned sugar and molasses. This is lovely. I'll see how it develops on me over time.

Update: I'm nearly an hour into the wearing, and Coramandel is starting to turn a bit "head shop patchouli" on me . Oh rats, I think I hear a steam roller rumbling toward me...
    Last edited by pomander; 7th January 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: update
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like

Pomander, I know exactly what you mean about orientals becoming a steam roller, and then patchouli steam rollering over the oriental. That is my problem with Angel.

I find that I can enjoy orientals that usually wear me, by spraying/applying on my back between my shoulder blades, or on my abdomen, rather than anywhere near my neck or face. A little distance from my nose seems to make them more wearable for me. I love Coco, I love smelling it on other people, but on me it becomes exhausting.

Twolf, thank you for noticing my 4K milestone, I was surprised! So my 4000th post will be the notes of Lolita Lempicka, one of my first basenotes swap experiences, with the lovely djuna from way back when...it was a blind swap, I thought the bottle was darling and went for it. The notes from Bois de Jasmin's review are : (fragrance family: woody oriental) includes notes of ivy leaves, anise, iris, violet, Amarena cherry, licorice, praline, vetiver, musk, benzoin, tonka bean, vanilla.

It is quite an experience to wear this one after ignoring it for several years and rediscovering its quiet beauty. I see that the iris note I have been so recently drawn to is included in Lolita's composition. This fragrance hits a deep note that resonates with me. Very easy to wear, sweet without being cloying, an understated beauty. In the days of my layering exploits, I recall wearing Lolita Lempicka side by side with Bulgari Black which I now know was created by Annick Menardo, the same nose for Lolita Lempicka. I called the combo, Lolita Noir and will have to revisit it soon.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Oh wow! Congrats on your milestone, rtamara41!

My SnS Choice: Guerlain Attrape Coeur and Guet Apens, from three different samples

Notes (TPC): Rose, violet, iris, amber, vanilla, and woody notes

Comments: This may sound strange, but I get chamomile tea. A cup of really good, strong chamomile tea, with a vase of flowers sitting next to it. I get this in all three samples (top and middle stages). This is my first time with this beautiful and fascinating fragrance! It may not be "me," but it's been quite a ride.

Image: Tin Vase and Tea Cup, by Suzanne Marie Leclair

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Le Baiser du Dragon today. Some of you may remember my stories about my co-worker Steve from a several years ago. He took an interest in my fragrances and always commented on them. LBdD was one of his top two favorites, the other one being Angel. He compared all others to these two. Steve left my hospital to work somewhere else, but I miss him. I not only miss working with him, but I miss his unbiased scent critiques. So I always think of Steve a little bit when wearing LBdD.

I love the richness, the booze-y topnotes, the woodiness, the sillage, the sexiness!

top notes: amaretto accord, neroli blossom, and gardenia;
    heart notes: iris, cedar, musk, and Bulgarian rose; and
    base notes: vetiver, patchouli, benzoin, and amber.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw...Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

The Oriental Flowers really held fast, as usual. That is something I've noticed about Montale scents in general -- incredible tenacity and projection, almost, dare I say, too much. But I adore some of them enough to wear them regardless of their Frankensteinian footprints.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved that image of the Patchouli steamroller, ladies. Knit chanelling a blues singer......

Well Imma STEAM ROLLER bay-beh...I'm bound to Rooooooll all over yoooooou.....

Yesterday I started out in Vallee Des Rois, a gorgeous big floriental from the 80's d/c mid 90's. Post PM shower moved on to Organza Indecence.
    Today I think I'll dig out my unloved bottle of Baiser du Dragon,inspired by shadesofbleu's post and continue the Oriental Love fest.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm in the spicy and warm oriental Oro, by Roberto Cavali. Oro was created by Maurice Roucel in 2004, and includes notes of magnolia, coriander, orris, pepper, apricot, patchouli, cinnamon, freesia, cedar, sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla and guaiac wood. Y'all might find this crazy, but I get a lot of iris from this, and it actually brings to mind Iris Ganache ...an unsweetened, no-white-chocolate version of it. With or without the ganache, both are divine.

I wore this yesterday, too.
    Oro reminds me very much of Tocade, but in a different key. As if it has many of the same ingredients, but in readjusted proportions. And minus the rose. It is strange--I just can't wear Tocade. It makes me almost queasy. Somehow Oro wears on me like Tocade on good behavior.

I'lll have to try it beside Tocade some time, and then beside Iris ganache.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 9th January 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: manual correct of an autocorrect
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I wore this yesterday, too.
    Oro reminds me very much of Tocade, but in a different key. As if it has many of the same ingredients, but in readjusted propositions. And minus the rose. It is strange--I just can't wear Tocade. It makes me almost queasy. Somehow Oro wears on me like Tocade on good behavior.
    same here Nostalgie, I cannot wear Tocade on my skin either- it's just yucky on me. I can wear oro and find it nice enough, not really compelling.

Well my lost bottle of Le baiser du Dragon turned out to be misre-membered and it's actually le baiser du Lalique. A violet centric floral, definately not an oriental. So I wrote a review of it and then dug out....CHERGUI and applied 5 sprays. Heaven on a Sunday afternoon.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    [...]and then dug out....CHERGUI and applied 5 sprays. Heaven on a Sunday afternoon.
    We have very similar taste. Not just the Tocade thing. Chergui for me is like....Prozac in purse spray! Well, literally a bell jar, but that sort of messes up the Prozac reference, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 9th January 2012 at 01:06 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    We have very similar taste. Not just the Tocade thing. Chergui for me is like....Prozac in purse spray! Well, literally a bell jar, but that sort of messes up the Prozac reference, doesn't it?
    Hee!