Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Never Smelled Drakkar Noir Until Yesterday...

It's sad that they reformulated DN.
    They made it a lot less powerful than the original

Scents nowadays, are not made to last very long, and they lack sillage too.

I have a 1 oz / 30 ml @ 95%. If anyone is interested, we may be able to work out a deal on something. Send me a message.

I too smelled this for the first time today!

I was in Boots (a drugstore in the UK - sorry, English people), and there it was a sample, with a bottle for £19.99 (cheap). I braced myself, pulled a spray strip from the shelf (too scared to actually try it on my skin) and...ahhhhhh!

I know that smell. It was great, really lovely, yes, very 80s, but the first thing I thought was, woah, this is an aquatic if ever I smelled one! Maybe the formulation has changed, but for me the first impression was of a very smooth aquatic, nothing offensive about it at all, and not the drowning powerhouse I had been led to believe.

Wish I sprayed some on my wrist now...but it was a definite familiar scent, and I was 2 in 1982!
    "Plastic people look the same" - Ray Davies

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by NonScents View Post
    I too smelled this for the first time today!

I was in Boots (a drugstore in the UK - sorry, English people), and there it was a sample, with a bottle for £19.99 (cheap). I braced myself, pulled a spray strip from the shelf (too scared to actually try it on my skin) and...ahhhhhh!

I know that smell. It was great, really lovely, yes, very 80s, but the first thing I thought was, woah, this is an aquatic if ever I smelled one! Maybe the formulation has changed, but for me the first impression was of a very smooth aquatic, nothing offensive about it at all, and not the drowning powerhouse I had been led to believe.

Wish I sprayed some on my wrist now...but it was a definite familiar scent, and I was 2 in 1982!
    I wouldn't call it aquatic per se. It has an ozonic/metallic aspect from the dihydromyrcenol overdose though . . . in fact it was the first big dhm overdose to hit the wider market afaik.

This is like checking out vanna white's 1980'S playboy issue for the first time...oh yeah!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Drakkar Noir also brings me back memories; memories of parties we had as kids growing up. I usually wore Polo or Azzaro, but I had a friend who had DN and he would let me use his bottle. I remember I liked it a lot, but this was decades ago and I have never felt its smell again. I must order a sample and check if my feelings are still the same.

Brings back memories for me too. I love the stuff and should get a bottle someday.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Lol so 80's i stole this from my sister and drenched my self in it. It really is a good fragtance but gets no love in the community.

[QUOTE=Buysblind;2404464]intentionally at least.

Some retailer sent me a sample of it in the mail.

It's not THAT bad...in fact I kind of like it. It reminds me a lot of LaPerla by GrigioPerla, kind of clean and soapy.

But pungent.

I sprayed myself 3 times with it and spent the next few hours immersed in a dense cloud.

/QUOTE]

ROTFLMBO!!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

I've never tried it. I spent too much time with co-workers who routinely made fun of it.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 30th March 2013 at 05:26 AM.

I still remember their ads, very sexy. However, I was too young to try it at that point.
    I heard it was reformulated though, is the love hate do the reformulation or just the fragrance composition

I tried it for the first time recently and thought it was a decent scent.
    Would be nice to get hold of the 80's original, just for the experience.

For those who like Drakkar Noir but don't feel they can wear it I suggest Azzaro Onyx/Silver Black for a modern take on this cologne type. In the 80's I remember a lime note in DN but now when I smell it I don't notice it. I do however get a little of this lime note in Onyx along with a subtle green apple.

Basenotes Plus

And, wonderful memories they were, DanielPlainview!

I, too, grew up during the 80's and early 90's. Drakkar Noir was one of THE scents that was there on so many fun, crazy, and wild nights of adolescence! While it has different associations for different people, it was (and still is) a great scent that is entirely wearable and brings compliments today. For people who remember back then, they step back into an olfactory time warp as well and conversations open up!

To all the members of this thread - understand that this scent was a sexually-charged, deep composition of masculinity that was there for MANY of us in our youth and teenage years (as well as into college). One of the true 'panty-droppers' of my generation...and, after buying the reformulation recently (which I find very wearable and good) - I pursued Vintage Drakkar Noir and love to dab some on in a layered wearing. Awesome juice and amazing bravado that swirls around you in a full wearing.

Nostalgic to some, but is there anything wrong with enjoying and remembering some of the best days in our lives (and definitive moments in our youth and high school years) through a scent? It smells better than so many scents out there today...and, it is STILL a top-seller worldwide for good reason. By definition, a true classic.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Drakkar Noir also brings me back memories; memories of parties we had as kids growing up. I usually wore Polo or Azzaro, but I had a friend who had DN and he would let me use his bottle. I remember I liked it a lot, but this was decades ago and I have never felt its smell again. I must order a sample and check if my feelings are still the same.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I like it...but Boss NO1 is more my speed. I think the coriander is overdone.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver