Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar

Default Dior Fahrenheit question regarding the original formulation

I owned a small splash bottle of Fahrenheit in about 2004, I remember at the time it smelled absolutely amazing.

I purchased a bottle of Fahrenheit a couple of months ago and although I love it, it feels like there is something missing from what I originally smelled, like a bit of the sweetness/floral was taken out of it.

The cap was different to the one on the new bottle I bought, if you see the current Fahrenheit, the cap is completely parrallel apart from an engraved line halfway down it, the cap on my splash bottle was slightly different and had curves on it.

So my question for people who have smelled both, did I smell the original Fahrenheit? It was when I was about 14-15 years old and I'm trying my best to remember the smell but the current one I have smells less sweet and I can definitely pick up the oil smell in it but from memory the old bottle I had smelled like it had something sweeter in, I'm guessing this could be the violet?

And is it likely I'll ever be able to purchase a bottle of the old Fahrenheit, even just a small one?

Default Re: Dior Fahrenheit question regarding the original formulation

I know it has undergone a fundamental change, though cannot discern what it is. I have the one that first came out many years ago and that's what I compare it to when I smell later versions, but still find it hard to tell the difference.

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I know it has undergone a fundamental change, though cannot discern what it is. I have the one that first came out many years ago and that's what I compare it to when I smell later versions, but still find it hard to tell the difference.
    Thanks for the reply mate, this has been bugging me for a while.

Would you say the one you own smells sweeter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate, this has been bugging me for a while.

Would you say the one you own smells sweeter at all?
    The adjective I'd use would probably be that something is more "pronounced" but I'm just not sure what it is. As for being "sweeter" I personally don't perceive that.

I have an older formulation and one of the newer formulations. Your nose isn't tricking you by any means. They are almost 2 completely different scents. The original is more heady and natural smelling. The new one is lighter, more chemical..

According to member The_Cologneist, there were four formulations of Fahrenheit, with a fifth on the way apparently. Read more in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/279...ght=fahrenheit
    Griff

anybody know witch one has the most gasoline smell?

1988.Original

1994.first reform

1998.second reform

2006.third reform

2012. 4th reform

current juice 2015

I have a bottle from 2011. While the gasoline vibe is there, it's not very pronounced.

I have a sample of the latest version, but haven't yet done a side-by-side comparison.
    Album of the week: 'Disraeli Gears' - Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQ4Pyyq_Zg
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

I had a bottle from 95 and the gasoline was so strong that it was headache inducing. Be careful, that stuff is dangerous.

My bottle is from 2012 and it's amazing. I find the gasoline accord to be prominent but also balanced, meaning that it's there and it's obvious but it doesn't overwhelm the composition. I get excellent longevity and projection from 2 to 3 sprays. Actually, 2 is plenty.

I keep meaning to sample the current juice. Based on what I've read, it sounds like the base might be a bit sweeter now, with a more pronounced vanilla. That could be great... so like I said... I'm curious to try it, but I've been in no rush since my bottle is still at least 75% full. It's hard to go through it quickly since so little lasts a long time on my skin. I love the stuff.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    My bottle is from 2012 and it's amazing. I find the gasoline accord to be prominent but also balanced, meaning that it's there and it's obvious but it doesn't overwhelm the composition. I get excellent longevity and projection from 2 to 3 sprays. Actually, 2 is plenty.

I keep meaning to sample the current juice. Based on what I've read, it sounds like the base might be a bit sweeter now, with a more pronounced vanilla. That could be great... so like I said... I'm curious to try it, but I've been in no rush since my bottle is still at least 75% full. It's hard to go through it quickly since so little lasts a long time on my skin. I love the stuff.
    The 2013/2014 versions have a sweeter vanillac tinge to it. The leather and woods are amped up with a bit of vanilla and the floral, grass, and gas/oil notes are dialed down a bit. Not gone. Just dialed down. This was right before they came out with Fahrenheit Le Parfum which is a vanilla bomb. For 2015 it has been suggested that they are moving back to the "original" formula with a prominent gas/oil note and the elimination of the vanilla. This box will have black borders around it and is different from the 2013 and 2014 boxes. I have not tested this 2015 yet.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Holy Grail Edition)

My Swap Thread: Nice Samples. Looking for a few cheapies..... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...n-Pure-Leather

Will be interesting if anybody can compare the 2006 reformulation with the current one, and is the current one still the same as from 2012 or Dior made another one after 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    The 2013/2014 versions have a sweeter vanillac tinge to it. The leather and woods are amped up with a bit of vanilla and the floral, grass, and gas/oil notes are dialed down a bit. Not gone. Just dialed down. This was right before they came out with Fahrenheit Le Parfum which is a vanilla bomb. For 2015 it has been suggested that they are moving back to the "original" formula with a prominent gas/oil note and the elimination of the vanilla. This box will have black borders around it and is different from the 2013 and 2014 boxes. I have not tested this 2015 yet.

I'll have to try the New 2015 version, if it's available now. I have a bottle of Fahrenheit that's just a few years old, so definitely a more recent reformulation. I think it smells great, but then I don't have any vintage to compare it to.
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    I'll have to try the New 2015 version, if it's available now. I have a bottle of Fahrenheit that's just a few years old, so definitely a more recent reformulation. I think it smells great, but then I don't have any vintage to compare it to.
    All of the Macy's near me have testers/open boxes from the 2012-2014 period. not a single 2015 tester. I would imagine that Fahrenheit is no longer a big seller (at least in my area). The Targets and Walmarts have the new 2015 version. I have to get my nose on that one. I always wanted to type that saying on Basenotes...... Here is the new 2015 box to look for:
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb

My Swap Thread: Nice Samples. Looking for a few cheapies..... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...n-Pure-Leather

Basenotes Plus

I have a bottle from the late nineties as well, before I knew fragrances. That is when I threw away boxes. I recently picked up first formula samples, and they are much different than my old bottle. They are original as it's easy to spot the red planet shape on the bottom. The first formula is a masterpiece to me. I don't think there would be any way to produce it again, but if they do it should be like, Coca Cola Classic or something. Ha.

According to the Guide by Luca and Tania (2009 Profile edition), Acetylenic esters have now been restricted, and it is these that gave "vintage" Fahrenheit its special gassy, petroleum smell.

There may well be other changes, but this would be the most significant methinks.

thank you for this info Paul, then looks that is save to say anything with the old spray cap (the cap was changed in 2007) will still have the strong gasoline smell.

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    thank you for this info Paul, then looks that is save to say anything with the old spray cap (the cap was changed in 2007) will still have the strong gasoline smell.
    No worries.

You can find out more from Andre's fantastic blog on this fragrance :

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...1988-2015.html

As usual people can't figure out whether the 'true' character of this scent should be oily, savoury and petrol-y...or mild, sweet and floral.

I just receive my replacement to my Fahrenheit from 1989 batch code 9798M (only around 5-6 ml. left)
    The replacement is from 2006 batch code 6D03 (I got it from ebay seller with old inventory the box was just little damaged but the bottle is brand new in perfect condition I think he have few more 1.7oz from the same year for 45$ cheaper than the new version 1.7oz from Sephora).
    2 sprays on left hand from 89 and 2 from 06. The first few minutes the same old good gasoline smell absolutely identical to me on both tests, in about after 5 to 10 minutes I smell nice burnt woods coming in almost identical maybe little more harsh on the 89 formula, in around 15 -20 minutes the gasoline vibe is starting to cool down and is coming nice Very green, very fresh, and very floral notes I also cannot find any difference between the 2 formulas so far. Will update you more after I have them for few more hours on my skin.
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1982 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1987 - Lapidus by Ted Lapidus
    1966 - Aramis by Aramis
    1980 - Jules Christian Dior
    1978 - Azzaro Pour Homme
    1981 - Cacharel Pour Homme
    1975 - Bourjois Masculin 2

Now is been around 4 hours and both formulas still going strong with identical smell. On a close to the skin snuff the gasoline smells still there little harsher on the 89 version and much lighter on the 06. And there is absolutely no sweet notes on any of them. I recall that some people have say that there is some sweetness in the later formulations.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1966 - Aramis by Aramis
    1978 - Azzaro Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    Now is been around 4 hours and both formulas still going strong with identical smell. On a close to the skin snuff the gasoline smells still there little harsher on the 89 version and much lighter on the 06. And there is absolutely no sweet notes on any of them. I recall that some people have say that there is some sweetness in the later formulations.
    We were referring to the 2013 and 2014 versions. There may also be a new 2015 formulation.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb

yes i was referring the later current formulations about the sweet notes like the 2014 formula, interesting if somebody can compare the new 2015 to the 2014, i have hear that 2015 may get closer to the older versions, but i doubt it with all regulations that come lately.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1966 - Aramis by Aramis
    1978 - Azzaro Pour Homme