Code of Conduct

Default Need a fragrance with the following requirements... [HELP]

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this wonderful forum.

I want to purchase my first cologne ever and I was hoping you could help.

I'm not going to lie, I want to smell good for the ladies. That's my objective.

Here are my requirements and other important information for the fragrance I want:

- I'm a slim latin american young guy (26) who looks younger (22ish).

- I always dress casual, jeans and t-shirt. I never wear suits or leather. I probably look like a "nice guy". I don't smoke.

- I'm planning to use the cologne almost every day, mostly during the day. I will use it during regular college classes and also during dancing classes.

- I want the scent to be both masculine and sweet (is that possible?). I figured sweet would be good since I love dancing and women are going to be very close to me. I want them to "melt in my arms" while dancing.

- I don't want the fragrance to be too strong because I plan on using it every single day.

- I want to be on the safe side, not love-or-hate kind of cologne. Receiving compliments would be nice as well.

Can you give me some popular suggestions please?

Thank you!

Default Re: Need a fragrance with the following requirements... [HELP]

Pure Havane, Chanel Allure, New Haarlem, Costume National Homme and Dior Homme Intense. I'd get samples of these and then pick one! Chanel Allure will be the one better suited to everyday wear and the safest.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Sweet, can wear it year around, and one of the biggest complement getters. Try La Nuit de L'Homme also by Yves Saint Laurent if you want the same scent but darker.

+1 L'Homme by YSL
    Rive Gauche

Chanel Egoiste

Burberry London

Buy GIT

Banned

Touch for Men by Burberry - Upon application, one experiences a lovely, wet violet, via the violet leaf tempered by artemisia and petit grain, with a hint of citrus from mandarin tree leaves. A somewhat soapy, powdery and sweet aura prevails. Floating to its enchanting heart, this opening melds nicely with virginia cedar, white pepper and nutmeg, imparting more sweetness and some faint spiciness to the blooming violet with dry woods serving as a backdrop to its powderiness. The omnipresent violet leaf is further transported to its comforting base where it is reinforced with sweet tonka bean, clean skin musk, and a dash of vetiver roots for smokiness. This powdery, floral composition is a quality fragrance, and has average projection and longevity.

YSL L'homme, Chanel Allure Homme, Gucci Pour Homme 2

Armani Acqua Di Gio. It is a guaranteed compliment getter. If you want a cologne for attention from the ladies, this is the one to get. It's fool proof, perfect for any occasion day or night, and is an absolutely safe bet. It's masculine and fresh. It mixes very well with sweat, so it'll be great to wear while dancing. The longevity is good at around 6-8 hours. The projection is very good for the first 2 hours. It is the #1 selling men's fragrance in department stores for a reason.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Antaeus for the evening.
    Noble Vetiver for the afternoon.
    Bvlgari Man for the mornings.

for swap/sale:

Gucci Envy for Men
    Azzaro Elixir
    CK One

Antaeus for the evening. A deep leather - strong. Matches the hue of night darkness.
    Noble Vetiver for the afternoon. A woody yet somewhat aromatic scent with a good amount of vetiver to give it that excessive oomph.
    Bvlgari Man for the mornings. A fresh masculine scent.

for swap/sale:

AdG, Cool Water, or perhaps some other aquatic will be found most likable by ladies in their 20's, they fit your "casual" style and they are clean enough so you don't offend others (AKA "That Guy") if you happen to over apply. Disadvantage: maybe not sweet enough for you.

To ME Armani Code has a sweetness about it (not my personal choice) and is liked by many. Fierce (Abercrombie & Fitch) is also a hit with younger women and, I think (it's been a while), has some sweetness.

Happy (Clinique) is a refreshing sweet orange-citrus fragrance that is masculine as well. Trigger control is the key here. Longevity could be an issue. Never received a bad compliment on it.

IF you can afford it and IF you can control the nozzle (Creed's are typically stronger per drop)...then...

Silver Mountain Water (Creed) for daytime
    Millesime Imperial (Creed) evening (sweet watermelon note)

Aventus (Creed) has a sweet pineapple note (countered by a dry ashy note). This seems to be a winner as well. YMMV.
    Last edited by Sensual; 3rd January 2012 at 10:44 AM.

I think if you get something a little too sweet, you'll get tired of it. Personally, I think you should go for something clean/fresh smelling, with a touch of sweetness. Something that says "I'm a casual laid back guy". To go with your t-shirt & jeans style, I highly recommend Bleu De Chanel. This scent is as safe as you can get, and you will get a lot of compliments. I don't normally care for fresh type scents, but I like this one a lot.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Touch for Men by Burberry - Upon application, one experiences a lovely, wet violet, via the violet leaf tempered by artemisia and petit grain, with a hint of citrus from mandarin tree leaves. A somewhat soapy, powdery and sweet aura prevails. Floating to its enchanting heart, this opening melds nicely with virginia cedar, white pepper and nutmeg, imparting more sweetness and some faint spiciness to the blooming violet with dry woods serving as a backdrop to its powderiness. The omnipresent violet leaf is further transported to its comforting base where it is reinforced with sweet tonka bean, clean skin musk, and a dash of vetiver roots for smokiness. This powdery, floral composition is a quality fragrance, and has average projection and longevity.
    I like the way you've included detailed info with all of your suggestions. Very nice!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dependent

For the compliments:
    Hanae Mori
    Acqua di Gio
    Pure Havane
    Armani Code

chanel allure homme

Basenotes Member

I suggest getting a sample of Chergui. It's a bit strong, but not in an offensive way (quite far from it actually). I think if I smell Chergui on a guy, my nose will follow him. That or La Nuit De L'homme (EdT), but La Nuit is more spicy than it is sweet.

Even as a young woman in my early 20's, I tend to associate Fierce and Hollister scents with high schoolers. Pick something else but those.

It depends on your budget and climate where you live, but as a first safe scent I would suggest...

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    AdG
    Chanel Allure Homme

However, if you have a little more to spend I'd highly recommend Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by Apep View Post
    It depends on your budget and climate where you live, but as a first safe scent I would suggest...

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    AdG
    Chanel Allure Homme

However, if you have a little more to spend I'd highly recommend Aventus.
    I agree with these 100% except AdG, not to say it is a bad fragrance but it bored me, used 20ml of 100ml before selling it for £15.
    Chanel Allure is a classy smell and perfect for all day wear.
    YSL La nuit is a spicy smell with a hint of sweet, perfect for the night time.
    Aventus just smells amazing, the only thing I would class as a safe blind buy. When I get whiffs of that pineapple note throughout the day I get a little excited haha

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to tell you that I decided to buy L'Homme by YSL.

I tried Allure Homme, Egoiste, La Nuit De L'Homme, and L'Homme.

After a quick smell I was impressed by Egoiste. It smells wonderful! But I decided to buy L'Homme anyway. In the future I will definitely buy Egoiste.

Good, the most important thing is that you like it.

Was that platinum egoiste or the regular egoiste?

Regular Egoiste!