Code of Conduct

Default Warning on Muji atomizers

I've been making travel containers of my fragrances (about 20 so far) in plastic atomizers that I bought at Muji. I prefer the plastic because I don't have to worry about the glass breaking in a bag or suitcase. Anyway, I just picked up another dozen of them only to find the following warning has been attached:

Should I be concerned about the ones I already have? Do you think that whatever the issue is would be true of any plastic atomizer (i.e. should I switch to glass)? I assumed that plastic would be bad for re-using, which I do not plan to do. I can't imagine what the problem would be otherwise.

Default Re: Warning on Muji atomizers

PET plastic is more permeable than glass. Ethanol oxidises to acetic acid. This is not very good for the bottle and likely does nothing positive for drinks or fragrances.

I don't care about the bottles, but I do care about my fragrance. So the danger is that the alcohol in the fragrance will oxidize and turn into acetic acid? Sounds like I better not refill these.

Thank you for the explanation. Very helpful.

Realizing now that the PET indicates the types of plastic, I found the following on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_bottle):

"Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET, PETE or polyester) is commonly used for carbonated beverage, water bottles and many food products. PET provides very good alcohol and essential oil barrier properties, generally good chemical resistance (although acetones and ketones will attack PET) and a high degree of impact resistance and tensile strength. The orienting process serves to improve gas and moisture barrier properties and impact strength. This material does not provide resistance to very high temperature applications—max. temp. 200 F (93 C)."

The alcohol is essentially stable in perfumes. There is an equilibrium between ethanol and acetaldehyde, meaning some aldehyde is always present in a solution of ethanol under an oxidizing atmosphere. But it should have no effect on your scents.

I also suggest you check whether it diffuses a spray or fires a single stream of liquid like a water pistol before going any further.

The 12ml size diffuses a spray. I accidentally bought one 15ml size that squirts/dribbles uselessly. I can't imagine what anyone would want that for.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    The alcohol is essentially stable in perfumes. There is an equilibrium between ethanol and acetaldehyde, meaning some aldehyde is always present in a solution of ethanol under an oxidizing atmosphere. But it should have no effect on your scents.
    Thanks very much for the clarification / correction, danho.
    I was trying to understand the warning label based on what little I remember of highschool chemistry.
    Good to have an expert's opinion!

Dependent

None the less, they are pretty specific about not putting perfume in these things. I wonder what it is that they worry about ?

Plain old leakage, I suspect.

None the less, the fact that everyone seems to be worried about getting sued these days makes it harder, rather than easier to know what the actual level of danger really is. One chance in ten, or one chance in 1000 ?

Given modern liability concerns, it could be one chance in 10,000, and they'd still put a label on things.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have used only Muji atomisers and have had not issues with them nor frags decanted into them (some about 2+ years). They do diffuse a bit "assertively" though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!