Code of Conduct

Thread: Little Advise?

Default Little Advise?

Greetings. I am a new frgrance, soap, and lotion crafter. Was hoping someone could give me advice on two things.

The first is liquid soap. I use a bulk liquid soap that I add my own essential oils to. The ingrediants are : ingredients: Saponified Oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba, Aloe Vera, Glycerin/Vegetable Gum Extract, Rosemary Extract.

1.) Do I need to add any sort of preservative to this? Does it go bad?
    2.) I notice it clogs up the pump here and there. Any ideas on anti-caking? Or would cutting it a bit with distilled water help? Would I need a preservative if I cut it?

3.) Frangrance related. I make little spray bottles of frangrance using essential oils, fragrance oils, and distilled water and basically grain alcohol. I want to start selling some at local fairs. I know I cannot use the alcohol if I begin selling it......how can I sell my little spray bottles? Maybe fragrance, cme (caprol micro express), distilled water and preservative?

Does anyone have a recipe I can use for a good cologne and perfume I can sell?

THANKS!

Default Re: Little Advise?

The usual way to make a liquid detergent more liquid is to add more water or a little ethanol. It will undoubtedly go off whether you cut it or not, and if there is no preservative in it already you will need to add some. My knowledge of the matter isn’t good enough to advise on what or how much though: I buy that sort of material ready-made when I need it.

On the fragrance side there are many, many complications involved with selling home-made fragrances and these are all explored extensively elsewhere on this forum. However the one thing that isn’t a problem is selling a fragrance containing ethanol - the vast majority of personal fragrance sold worldwide is in an ethanol base - why do you think you need to use something else in order to sell it? Unless you are using only a very small proportion of water (5% by weight roughly) your perfume will be cloudy (which also means it won’t keep well) unless you add some sort of solubiliser or co-solvent.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

You will find you cannot 'just sell home made fragrances', ethanol or not, without conforming to your own country rulings. You need to say where you are to have a look. It is a similar sort of rule to selling cooking from a home kitchen, there has to be a basic level of standards to adhere to, as this goes on peoples skin and you don't want to give someone any allergic reaction.

EU rules involve labelling properly, maintaining files on working records, who made your ingredients, safety data, batch numbers etc etc. Plus it is a legal requirement that each and every perfume has to have a safety assessment otherwise you are open to public prosecution. I presume a perfumery business must have to have it done by the batch with so many products.

I have been doing much research into this and there is much help from the Trading standards website. It is precisely what has put me off as it can get very expensive for a pure hobbyist to keep getting perfumes analysed and potentially not selling enough to recoup the investment.

I searched the forum, but couldn't find a conclusive answer to my question, but I was wondering if there are any regulations in the US specifically for making/selling perfumes. I'm aware of the IFRA standards, but I'm looking more towards the issues brought up in mumsy's post, applied to the US instead of the EU, such as labeling, working records, safety assessments/analyzing, etc. If anyone can let me know the rules, or tell me the law/act that controls this, I would appreciate it.

I’m not best qualified to answer this as the US is not my territory, however I believe the US has some broadly similar labelling laws for cosmetics, but no equivalent requirement for the declaration of certain perfumery ingredients to that of the EU. I don’t believe there is any equivalent requirement for safety certification of cosmetics, but there are requirements concerning the use of Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) which may impact on fragranced products - I am not familiar with the details however.

Perhaps a US based perfumer can give a better answer?
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Chris, thanks for the response. I've found some info on the Food & Drug Administration's website. In the US, fragrances do not need to be tested and will not be tested by the FDA before sales (they may choose to inspect later on, but not likely for small scale fragrance sellers). It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to handle testing and safety (although you don't have to test, there is an option to put a specific warning on your labeling instead, although you will still be liable to customers for any harm). There is a program for submitting cosmetics ingredients to the FDA, but it is entirely optional. There was a list of compounds that were not allowed, but it applied to all cosmetics, not just fragrances and I didn't take the time to cross reference with lists of prohibited fragrance ingredients or VOCs. The only specific requirements involved labeling. There is a requirement for an FDA Cosmetics Certificate if you choose to export or import cosmetics, but no certificates are required for manufacturing and sales within the US only. Of course, beyond the export certificate you would also have all the EU regulations to deal with.

So it seems substantially easier for small time fragrance makers in the US to operate (as long as they do business only in the US), but of course there is no protection from getting sued by harmed customers. I got all of this information off the FDA's website for cosmetics: http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/default.htm

Of course, for anyone reading this and planning on using this information, don't take my word for it, double check the FDA website to confirm these rules and regulations.

As for VOC issues as well as cross references for IFRA banned or limited items and FDA banned items, I still have some research to do.

It's really good and informative advise.