Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Fragrantica is graphically SLICK? That has got to be the ugliest, most cluttered website full of hideously annoying ADVERTISMENTS EVERYWHERE. I can barely stand to visit it, it's so awful. They do tend to have more complete note lists for fragrances though.

I really love Basenotes' minimal look. It doesn't get in the way of the great content. Tasteful and functional. Except when the site goes down for hours at a time. New hosting contract, please.

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

The only thing Basenotes has going for it, is the community forum. That's it. The directory is abysmal, the reviews are minimal, the decor is distinctly unimaginative, dated and amateur template and the owners obsession for quality control is asphyxiating.

If only there were a place that combined the best aspects from all the poplular fragrance communities, someone with the know how and resources could really change things on the perfume community front if they had a mind to.

I love Basenotes too, but it's hard not to notice that the Directory is woefully neglected, and it's often difficult to access the site at all.

But along with others, I also enjoy the no-nonsense bare-bones look of this place, and the "Similar Threads" feature is terrifically useful. Basenotes does not need to be any slicker, to my mind.

I'm here for the thoughtfulness rather than the glitz and flash.

I frequent basenotes and fragrantica, never heard of parfumo. Only problem I got with basenotes is the database isnt up to date and the servers go down often.

Basenotes Plus

L'eaulita- Then why are you here?

I thought that was obvious- for the same reason many people are, the community forum, in particular its active topics. For anything else though, I prefer other sites. I'm not a Parfumo/Fragrantica/insert-other-site touter by the way, in case that was what you're getting at.

I only come for the lists.

I only come for the Dior Homme Intense and Pure Malt threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I only come for the lists.
    What lists are you talking about?
    for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I only come for the Dior Homme Intense and Pure Malt threads.
    LOL

I do love the community here, and Grant, and the moderation, and all the other stuff that makes BN the classy joint that it is. The directory is still very useful for older fragrances as long as they're not too obscure.

I wasn't sure what it was about Fragrantica that I didn't like, but I think you hit on it, MonkeyBars - it's the ads. Godawful clutter.

Parfumo is pretty much aiming to be the German-speaking world's version of Basenotes, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Sooner or later somebody will hit on the right balance of moderation and "wiki-ness" - a state that will maximize control where it's needed to build a cooperative community, and minimize control where it's needed to build authority content, leading to (IMO) the next level of fragrance web community - the true hive, where workers are trusted. I'm hoping the guys at Parfumo will get the message and be that place, but if not them, it will be somebody else eventually. It was hoping that it would be BN, but the directory here may not allow it.

The quality reviews available are in the first place here on BN and secondly on MakeupAlley, the rest is often vague, gossipy and chit-chat style. However, I have meanwhile created an account for myself on parfumo.net and watch things and contribute a little if it's of interest to me. There are things to like there, but I spend most of my online time here, because of the nice and interesting perfumista company here. Other than that, I have gotten rather sensitive here lately about locking threads without comment. It's such an ill-mannered behavior per se that I will in the future make my active contribution here on BN dependent on whether a thread - containing a contribution from my side - is locked with a reason stated or not. In the past, locking of threads has usually been fine with me, but I bloody demand a word of mouth from the almighty. Other issues such as the atrophy of the directory in combination of seemingly unheard offers for voluntary contribution or the constant server issues lack any good reason meanwhile to give it further thought. Accept it or leave, I suppose.

Even with all of its issues, Basenotes has the most amazing community of contributors.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Basenotes may have more of a Mom-and-Pop feel to it than other frag sites but, for me, there is no place like home.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

I'm a new user (mostly reader) and I feel that basenotes is far from being altered due to the amount of info here and the community size.

As an apprentice perfumista, I started reading and posting on Basenotes because of the excellent Forum, the quality of the reviews and the friendly help and encouragement I got from other members. I'm still here for the same reasons. But Fragrantica, despite the annoying ads is seductively pretty, my reviews get posted straight away, and the site seemingly has no problems with its server/host. Prefer BN, but can't something be done about the frequent slowness and the site crashing?
    Parfumo may turn out to be good, but as yet its English-speaking version seems a bit thin.
    I still learn something new every time I log on here, so my apprenticeship is flourishing.

Since I'm most of the time a reader here and on Fragrantica I prefer BN. Why should I always must to log in on Fragrantica since I only like to read? I didn't understand that. Parfumo.Net looks nice but seems like a copy of BN(Forum section)

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

'Photos from the community' is a potential goldmine. Point-and-shoot cameras are now capable of producing brilliant pics. There are also quite a number of BNers who take superb, commercial-quality photos of fragrance/products and willing to contribute them to this site at no cost whatsoever. That BN fails, repeatedly I might add, to capitalize on this borders on 'insanity'.

While Basenotes will always be Basenotes, and our community here is not to be matched, just wanted to drop a note to say that after a few tentative iterations, Parfumo has got their English-language directory and revues section together in a way that is well worth checking out.

Blog Entries

Why does it have to be either/or ? Basenotes/Fragrantica/Parfumo ?

It is so easy to go - with a couple of key strokes - to all three of these informative websites.

I dislike when comments are made that are negative about the "other" ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Why does it have to be either/or ? Basenotes/Fragrantica/Parfumo ?

It is so easy to go - with a couple of key strokes - to all three of these informative websites.

I dislike when comments are made that are negative about the "other" ...
    well said

Blog Entries

After having spent some days there, I realize that the efforts of the member contributions are rewarded with Parfumo points. So, different activities generate different amounts of points.

That keeps the members on their toes - if you write a good review, the system gives you 40 points for writing one and your peers may give you awards for quality. If you write so-so reviews, no peer awards.

Reviews are encouraged, nonetheless. There is a Guide how to write a good review. The peer awards are an incentive to write good reviews and avoid silly bla bla nonsense.

The whole set-up is newer and no break-downs because the community is smaller.

It will be fun to see everybody on all three websites, like I have said before, and I can assure you, if you use a different user name, your wardrobe and writing style will give you away anyhow, ha ha.
    Last edited by Ursula; 9th December 2012 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Because it is easy to visit all 3 websites and draw comparisons, I have been doing this for a long time. Automatically, people will gather where they like it the best. That said, each of the three websites, Basenotes, Parfumo and Fragrantica have their good points.

It may not be a bad idea to go visiting and keeping an open and neutral mind. The Management of all three sites could learn from one another.

(Just joking: Car manufacturers take the competitor's car apart - to get to know the innards and profit from that intimate knowledge.)

The visualness, although sometimes overwhelming, is an attraction in Fragrantica, especially they have a NOTES display on their Perfume Page.

The full Databank of Parfumo is a definite attraction for outside eyes looking for a specific perfume.

The noteworthy articles on the Front page of Basenotes are very good, as well as the intelligent discussions about perfumes in the Forum.

Parfumo ....Huh, I'm going to have you reported to secret basenotes Police. ...lol
    fragantica is good for perfume dictionary as their platform really suck and don't bother to categorize splitting etc.... they're lacking in community affairs to basenotes but ok for an alternative : Now perfumo, I don't know ..jury still out on them IMHO ....Basenotes had the best platform with Huddler but community wise and interaction wise also is the best and only hoping for all the pieces fall into place on this new-old platform.... Peace and God bless!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    The visualness, although sometimes overwhelming, is an attraction in Fragrantica, especially they have a NOTES display on their Perfume Page.
    Exactly. While not very pretty I know I can visit fragrantica and check the notes, opinions, and quick-and-dirty summaries of any fragrance if I'm in a store and wanting to look something up. The same search on BN has about equal chances of getting you:

1) A subpar database entry for it, with just a few reviews (and having to go through multiple pages for more reviews - something fragrantica's endless column format obviates)

2) A forum topic about the fragrance, easily confused with the database entry because of the plain title, and with even less quick-and-dirty info, or...

3) Comparison threads - X fragrance vs. Y fragrance.

I love the discussion here which is why it will always be my #1 site, but for quick info Fragrantica's DB format is most helpful, even on mobile.

Is there something on parfumo that I'm missing?

I see a fragrance directory that for some lines is more complete than basenotes, but this is not so for other lines.

There are very, very few reviews. What good is the directory without information? It's just basically a list of fragrances.

The forums contain very few active threads with little participation. It almost seems like a dead site to me. I don't see where the community is.

I see nothing there that makes me want to return. Is there a hidden part of it that I'm missing?
    Currently wearing: Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

The only time i visit parfumo is when BN is acting crazy and i can't deal with it.

However difficult and annoying it can be, Basenotes is great for discussions. I do like Fragrantica for the reviews and statistics.

i don't really consider parfumo much of a competitor. Its like a back up to a back up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Is there something on parfumo that I'm missing?

I see a fragrance directory that for some lines is more complete than basenotes, but this is not so for other lines.

There are very, very few reviews. What good is the directory without information? It's just basically a list of fragrances.

The forums contain very few active threads with little participation. It almost seems like a dead site to me. I don't see where the community is.

I see nothing there that makes me want to return. Is there a hidden part of it that I'm missing?
    What I like on PARFUMO is the efficiency and order with which the site is run. The Perfume Page is really complete with links. PARFUMO is like a boutique with the shelves nicely and accurately arranged. The crowd is small and therefore the Forums don't have many discussions.

What I like on BASENOTES is the level of discussions in the Forums. Also, when one topic is started, at the bottom of the page are references to similar topics. That is great, I can go there and read still more on a subject.

What I don't like on BASENOTES is the slowness of the Server. If help is offered, it might be a good idea to at least look at the help offered.
    See this link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-loading-times

Post #38 (copy/pasted)
    I recommend to optimize the website / web server configuration before upgrading the server. There are many things which can be optimized easily, e.g. enable compression (https://developers.google.com/speed/...bleCompression) and enable browser caching. This would reduce the server load dramatically!

Now, I understand nothing about the technical configurations, but this seems to be a "clean-up" before going to the next server.

I love both websites, BASENOTES and PARFUMO, and am busy on both every day.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    The only time i visit parfumo is when BN is acting crazy and i can't deal with it.

However difficult and annoying it can be, Basenotes is great for discussions. I do like Fragrantica for the reviews and statistics.

i don't really consider parfumo much of a competitor. Its like a back up to a back up.
    This pretty much sums it up for me too.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=Ursula;2991035]

What I don't like on BASENOTES is the slowness of the Server. If help is offered, it might be a good idea to at least look at the help offered.
    See this link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-loading-times

Post #38 (copy/pasted)
    I recommend to optimize the website / web server configuration before upgrading the server. There are many things which can be optimized easily, e.g. enable compression (https://developers.google.com/speed/...bleCompression) and enable browser caching. This would reduce the server load dramatically!

Now, I understand nothing about the technical configurations, but this seems to be a "clean-up" before going to the next server.
    End quote.

Essentially, we are guests here....
    Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 07:22 PM.

For those of you who have used Parfumo.net, a few questions:
    Do they do, or have they done?:

1. pass-around-the world sample packs
    2. sharing of rare and vintage samples
    2. all-perfumes-in-one-house reviews
    3. all-the-same-note run-offs (A vs B or C, etc. all the way down to one winner)
    4. blind sniff, live-time competitions
    5. in-depth experiments
    6. DIY mixing

I'll believe it when I see it.
    We have done them for years here, on Basenotes.
    I've never met a more fun group of people than these.
    I only have time for one forum. Nope, I'm not going anywhere else.