Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Check it out: http://www.parfumo.net/

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Very new, although I see familiar faces there.

Whatever floats your boat, me thinks.

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Thanks for the link.

Very interesting to see that a new competitor comes out of the gate with a completely updated registry with pictures and everything. Why is that so hard to get going here?
    Currently wearing: Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Sorry to hear that about frangratica, moore.
    Despite my nagging about the lack of updates of the database, Basenotes is, in my opinion, superior to other fragrance communities. Still, the crowdsourcing method the new site has permitted to update the database is something Basenotes could & should learn from.

queen of the universe

Stumbled on this a few days ago, searching my favorite frag. I love the BN community, and that's not something easily duplicated.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

queen of the universe

Thanks. I owe my wit to my late mom. Her signature scent was Aromatics Elixir which smelled wonderful on her and, I'm sorry to say, smelled like Black Flag on me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks for the link. I've been looking at Fragrantica recently and was wondering if anyone else thinks they pull their fragrance notes out of a hat... As far as I have been told Angel for women has NO flowers in it whatsoever. I refilled a bottle yesterday for a lady who said that most perfumes give her headaches, but not this one. I stopped in my tracks since although I LOVE Angel and A*Men I know they can be quite harsh to some people. I thought about it for awhile and asked her if she was allergic to flowers and she said yes. Which makes perfect sense with all the research and training I've done. Then I see quite a few flowers listed in Angel on the Fragratica site, then I referenced back here and sure enough it says "No flowers in this one".
    There were a few other frags that had strange listings and it seems Parfumo is just taking some of the notes verbatim from fragrantica (or vice versa). I do like parfumo's user pics and community classification. The more the merrier I say, but I think I still trust the info on here more than anywhere else.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I started my perfume hobby at Basenotes but then changed over to Parfumo 2 years ago, which was exclusively German language at that time. I got involved with the English version Parfumo.net which was released by end of last year.

Of course, Parfumo is my no. 1 perfume site, but I would like to state that also Basenotes is a great site. It is the godfather of perfume communities – there are great reviewers here, and Basenotes has kept a high standard over the many years.

We found out, that at Fragrantica, any mentioning of the word „Parfumo“ gets overwritten with „STOP SPAM“. Somebody at the German Parfumo reported, this even happens not just in posts, but also in private messages!

So, I would like to thank Basenotes for the fairness of not deleting this thread here or trying to censor the knowledge that there are other perfume communities as well.

I think, some competition between the perfume community sites is a good thing and will incite the owners and developpers to improve their websites for the benefit of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    I've been looking at Fragrantica recently and was wondering if anyone else thinks they pull their fragrance notes out of a hat...
    My impression, too! Very little substance there, so no interest from my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Apicius View Post
    We found out, that at Fragrantica, any mentioning of the word „Parfumo“ gets overwritten with „STOP SPAM“. Somebody at the German Parfumo reported, this even happens not just in posts, but also in private messages!
    How incredibly idiotic, and it speaks volumes about their insecurities. Though, if I were a ruthless editor, it would make sense. Basenotes is so established that you are not really a threat (yet!), but you are definitely in direct competition with frangratica, so any signs of your existence must be wiped out.
    Did they really think that would work??

Behind Fragrantica, there seems to be a company situated in California. I think, there are some people who make money with it, so they are worried about their bank accounts.

furrypine, please do not compare Parfumo with Fragrantica! I could write books about the differences. However, I find it a bit inappropriate to discuss this with you on Basenotes. It is a noble gesture that Basenotes accepts this topic to be openly discussed here, but I want to respect their policy towards other websites.

This is my last post in this thread, you all now have the news and know where you can find me.

ahhhhhhh I see several of Basenotes "runaways" are posting there.....
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Bronze by Ellen Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    lol! I ranaway from there to here!! Thinking if I should back(I like lots of users there and there answers comes like drops of rain; here users are voyeurs!)
    Well nothing wrong with being in both places
    Come hang out on the Female Fragrance Board- we have lots of fun and will e-hug you silly. YOu won't be the only guy, either.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Bronze by Ellen Tracy

I checked out the Parfumo site briefly but wasn't impressed. I gather that the site is pretty new, but there's just not much there so far. Their fragrance directory is very limited. They do have a good start, but have a long way to go. Perhaps their German language edition is far more complete than their English one.

Fragrantica is impressive because they've done so much over the past few years, growing from nothing into a substantial website. I like it that they at least make an effort to keep their directory up to date and provide photos and info about fragrances, even if it is sometimes suspect. But their organization is scattershot and some of their reviewers are not very good. Many of the better reviews on Fragrantica were written by Basenotes members. I don't see a great deal of activity on their discussion boards. I also am not aware of their board/moderator situation, but Basenotes has its own quirks in those areas.

I have been and remain vocal about the state of Basenotes. In spite of that I still think it is the best resource for solid information, mainly because of its intelligent, knowledgeable, passionate members. Site management is poor and getting worse, and there doesn't appear to be much commitment to the future. A number of veteran members who were excellent contributors have been banned over the years or have left on their own, creating a significant brain drain. We have lost some tremendously valuable members over the past few years. At the same time, however, I see some of the newer members growing into formidable posters.

There's no reason a person shouldn't access many different perfume websites and participate in them. Of course most people have a limited amount of time they can spend online, and it's nice to have a "home" where you spend most of your time and feel like you're part of a community. There are a lot of problems with Basenotes, but it is the home of more serious, thoughtful, and enthusiastic members than the other sites. Unfortunately Basenotes also seems to attract more immature, insecure, and frivolous members than all the other perfume sites combined.

All sites have something to offer, and all have shortcomings. I hope that one day one of them will step up their game, get their stuff together, and assemble a truly comprehensive site with organized management, intelligent members, an extensive database, defintive reviews, and vibrant and informative boards.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang by Balenciaga

I really like that you meet the same people in different places of the internet. And i’ve seen a few Basenotes members at parfumo.net already. But the international parfumo still needs to grow (which it does) – there is not even a Creed thread.

How ridiculous.

I think, some competition between the perfume community sites is a good thing and will incite the owners and developpers to improve their websites for the benefit of us all.

Apicius, just remember that you do not take it too seriously. For heaven's sake, perfumes are nothing more than the drugs, after all.

Well, going from the existing model for successful perfume sites, you're going to need two things wherein the competition can't come close: an asset and a flaw. Basenotes's forums and snobbery are both unsurpassed. Fragrantica corners the database market and the silliness market. So consider what's left . . . hard science and obscenity? Mobile apps and irrelevance? The winning combo is out there waiting for YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by blkbrd View Post
    Well, going from the existing model for successful perfume sites, you're going to need two things wherein the competition can't come close: an asset and a flaw. Basenotes's forums and snobbery are both unsurpassed. Fragrantica corners the database market and the silliness market. So consider what's left . . . hard science and obscenity? Mobile apps and irrelevance? The winning combo is out there waiting for YOU!
    ...but you forgot to list the flaw for Basenotes!

Power Where You Need It

That's true...and that's absolutely ridiculous...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I use Fragrantica to write reviews (hey, they actually get posted RIGHT AWAY), and I also use them as a first stop to check reviews (there are some great reviewers posting there such as Alfarom and Grottola, amongst many others - also, they seem to be far less prone to snobbishly writing off lesser scents). I'm sticking here for the discussion but honestly, it's not because the discussion on BN is so great. It's just because it's what I'm used to and where I've always been. That sounds harsh but I think there's some truth in it that we all know but maybe don't allow ourselves to accept. I mean, everyone says BN has the best forums and the best discussion - and that may be true - but there's very little depth to any of the scent discussions anymore. It's all L'Instant Extreme vs DHI and 90% other inane threads.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'll check it out, but I'm pretty happy with basenotes tbh.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I use Fragrantica to write reviews (hey, they actually get posted RIGHT AWAY), and I also use them as a first stop to check reviews (there are some great reviewers posting there such as Alfarom and Grottola, amongst many others - also, they seem to be far less prone to snobbishly writing off lesser scents).
    Same here...and, BTW thanks But the "STOP SPAM" thing is something very "new""...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Same here...and, BTW thanks But the "STOP SPAM" thing is something very "new""...
    Yeah, it must be. I've not been aware of it but then I really don't venture into the forums or PMs there much at all. It's unfortunate that they're acting in such a manner because otherwise I could see Fragrantica being a great place for us all to migrate to if/when the day comes that BN is simply no longer tenable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

OP, thanks for the link. More fragrance message boards are needed and I will give Parfumo a look.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well, the user "Apicius" is administrator at parfumo.de and a close friend to the owner and the other administrators, who feel a bit like they are the "elite" from parfumo.de. Members are asked to donate to the site, in return You get a silly "heart-button" beside your nic. The money is used to enhance the site...
    As a member to fragrantica.at I definetly cant understand the statement from Apicius, that it is forbidden to use the "parfumo" word.

It is obvious for me, why these rumours are spread - no other site I know has more "erased users" - because parfumo can't deal with constructive criticism, so the the problem is shifted to a competitor - fragrantica.

But enough about parfumo - I like it here ;-))
    Last edited by uhuklebt; 14th January 2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Don’t cry because it‘s over- smile because it was great!!!

I'll be frank, if it were not for the the gilded guild of members I'd not be active here.
    other than member contribution (forUm and reviews) there is nothing astronomic about BN (anymore).

The perfume features and options on parfumo are amazing.

I like statistical data. I wish BN incorporated some.
    for swap/sale:

@uhuklebt
    ok ..go and enjoy fragrantica but don't use BN to run down other sites or spread rumours.

^ Just keep it cool, everyone. I'm sure many find this quite an interesting thread in a way, so we don't want it to get lost. I assume this is kind of topic that doesn't need that much of a provocation before the lock will swing.

I haven't checked out Parfumo yet, but I will give it a look. I do admit that I use both Basenotes and Fragrantica daily, though, and love both. I think the discussion is much better and informative here on Basenotes, but I think Fragrantica's website and directory are much prettier, nicer, and easier to use. Also, why does Basenotes website continually go down for a few minutes every now and then? I'm guessing it's a server or host issue, but it's really frustrating, and this is the only forum I've ever encountered with this issue.

Anyway, I love Basenotes & couldn't live without it, but I do wish they would make the site more modern, graphically slick, and dependable like Fragrantica has done. Even though I prefer Basenotes discussions, you have to admit that Fragrantica's directory is beautiful and very easy to use (I also love the instant search as you start typing in their search bar).