Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Check it out: http://www.parfumo.net/

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Very new, although I see familiar faces there.

Whatever floats your boat, me thinks.

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Thanks for the link.

Very interesting to see that a new competitor comes out of the gate with a completely updated registry with pictures and everything. Why is that so hard to get going here?

Sorry to hear that about frangratica, moore.
    Despite my nagging about the lack of updates of the database, Basenotes is, in my opinion, superior to other fragrance communities. Still, the crowdsourcing method the new site has permitted to update the database is something Basenotes could & should learn from.

queen of the universe

Stumbled on this a few days ago, searching my favorite frag. I love the BN community, and that's not something easily duplicated.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

queen of the universe

Thanks. I owe my wit to my late mom. Her signature scent was Aromatics Elixir which smelled wonderful on her and, I'm sorry to say, smelled like Black Flag on me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks for the link. I've been looking at Fragrantica recently and was wondering if anyone else thinks they pull their fragrance notes out of a hat... As far as I have been told Angel for women has NO flowers in it whatsoever. I refilled a bottle yesterday for a lady who said that most perfumes give her headaches, but not this one. I stopped in my tracks since although I LOVE Angel and A*Men I know they can be quite harsh to some people. I thought about it for awhile and asked her if she was allergic to flowers and she said yes. Which makes perfect sense with all the research and training I've done. Then I see quite a few flowers listed in Angel on the Fragratica site, then I referenced back here and sure enough it says "No flowers in this one".
    There were a few other frags that had strange listings and it seems Parfumo is just taking some of the notes verbatim from fragrantica (or vice versa). I do like parfumo's user pics and community classification. The more the merrier I say, but I think I still trust the info on here more than anywhere else.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I started my perfume hobby at Basenotes but then changed over to Parfumo 2 years ago, which was exclusively German language at that time. I got involved with the English version Parfumo.net which was released by end of last year.

Of course, Parfumo is my no. 1 perfume site, but I would like to state that also Basenotes is a great site. It is the godfather of perfume communities – there are great reviewers here, and Basenotes has kept a high standard over the many years.

We found out, that at Fragrantica, any mentioning of the word „Parfumo“ gets overwritten with „STOP SPAM“. Somebody at the German Parfumo reported, this even happens not just in posts, but also in private messages!

So, I would like to thank Basenotes for the fairness of not deleting this thread here or trying to censor the knowledge that there are other perfume communities as well.

I think, some competition between the perfume community sites is a good thing and will incite the owners and developpers to improve their websites for the benefit of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    I've been looking at Fragrantica recently and was wondering if anyone else thinks they pull their fragrance notes out of a hat...
    My impression, too! Very little substance there, so no interest from my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Apicius View Post
    We found out, that at Fragrantica, any mentioning of the word „Parfumo“ gets overwritten with „STOP SPAM“. Somebody at the German Parfumo reported, this even happens not just in posts, but also in private messages!
    How incredibly idiotic, and it speaks volumes about their insecurities. Though, if I were a ruthless editor, it would make sense. Basenotes is so established that you are not really a threat (yet!), but you are definitely in direct competition with frangratica, so any signs of your existence must be wiped out.
    Did they really think that would work??

Behind Fragrantica, there seems to be a company situated in California. I think, there are some people who make money with it, so they are worried about their bank accounts.

furrypine, please do not compare Parfumo with Fragrantica! I could write books about the differences. However, I find it a bit inappropriate to discuss this with you on Basenotes. It is a noble gesture that Basenotes accepts this topic to be openly discussed here, but I want to respect their policy towards other websites.

This is my last post in this thread, you all now have the news and know where you can find me.

Basenotes Plus

ahhhhhhh I see several of Basenotes "runaways" are posting there.....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    lol! I ranaway from there to here!! Thinking if I should back(I like lots of users there and there answers comes like drops of rain; here users are voyeurs!)
    Well nothing wrong with being in both places
    Come hang out on the Female Fragrance Board- we have lots of fun and will e-hug you silly. YOu won't be the only guy, either.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I checked out the Parfumo site briefly but wasn't impressed. I gather that the site is pretty new, but there's just not much there so far. Their fragrance directory is very limited. They do have a good start, but have a long way to go. Perhaps their German language edition is far more complete than their English one.

Fragrantica is impressive because they've done so much over the past few years, growing from nothing into a substantial website. I like it that they at least make an effort to keep their directory up to date and provide photos and info about fragrances, even if it is sometimes suspect. But their organization is scattershot and some of their reviewers are not very good. Many of the better reviews on Fragrantica were written by Basenotes members. I don't see a great deal of activity on their discussion boards. I also am not aware of their board/moderator situation, but Basenotes has its own quirks in those areas.

I have been and remain vocal about the state of Basenotes. In spite of that I still think it is the best resource for solid information, mainly because of its intelligent, knowledgeable, passionate members. Site management is poor and getting worse, and there doesn't appear to be much commitment to the future. A number of veteran members who were excellent contributors have been banned over the years or have left on their own, creating a significant brain drain. We have lost some tremendously valuable members over the past few years. At the same time, however, I see some of the newer members growing into formidable posters.

There's no reason a person shouldn't access many different perfume websites and participate in them. Of course most people have a limited amount of time they can spend online, and it's nice to have a "home" where you spend most of your time and feel like you're part of a community. There are a lot of problems with Basenotes, but it is the home of more serious, thoughtful, and enthusiastic members than the other sites. Unfortunately Basenotes also seems to attract more immature, insecure, and frivolous members than all the other perfume sites combined.

All sites have something to offer, and all have shortcomings. I hope that one day one of them will step up their game, get their stuff together, and assemble a truly comprehensive site with organized management, intelligent members, an extensive database, defintive reviews, and vibrant and informative boards.

I really like that you meet the same people in different places of the internet. And i’ve seen a few Basenotes members at parfumo.net already. But the international parfumo still needs to grow (which it does) – there is not even a Creed thread.

How ridiculous.

I think, some competition between the perfume community sites is a good thing and will incite the owners and developpers to improve their websites for the benefit of us all.

Apicius, just remember that you do not take it too seriously. For heaven's sake, perfumes are nothing more than the drugs, after all.

Well, going from the existing model for successful perfume sites, you're going to need two things wherein the competition can't come close: an asset and a flaw. Basenotes's forums and snobbery are both unsurpassed. Fragrantica corners the database market and the silliness market. So consider what's left . . . hard science and obscenity? Mobile apps and irrelevance? The winning combo is out there waiting for YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by blkbrd View Post
    Well, going from the existing model for successful perfume sites, you're going to need two things wherein the competition can't come close: an asset and a flaw. Basenotes's forums and snobbery are both unsurpassed. Fragrantica corners the database market and the silliness market. So consider what's left . . . hard science and obscenity? Mobile apps and irrelevance? The winning combo is out there waiting for YOU!
    ...but you forgot to list the flaw for Basenotes!

That's true...and that's absolutely ridiculous...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I use Fragrantica to write reviews (hey, they actually get posted RIGHT AWAY), and I also use them as a first stop to check reviews (there are some great reviewers posting there such as Alfarom and Grottola, amongst many others - also, they seem to be far less prone to snobbishly writing off lesser scents). I'm sticking here for the discussion but honestly, it's not because the discussion on BN is so great. It's just because it's what I'm used to and where I've always been. That sounds harsh but I think there's some truth in it that we all know but maybe don't allow ourselves to accept. I mean, everyone says BN has the best forums and the best discussion - and that may be true - but there's very little depth to any of the scent discussions anymore. It's all L'Instant Extreme vs DHI and 90% other inane threads.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'll check it out, but I'm pretty happy with basenotes tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I use Fragrantica to write reviews (hey, they actually get posted RIGHT AWAY), and I also use them as a first stop to check reviews (there are some great reviewers posting there such as Alfarom and Grottola, amongst many others - also, they seem to be far less prone to snobbishly writing off lesser scents).
    Same here...and, BTW thanks But the "STOP SPAM" thing is something very "new""...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Same here...and, BTW thanks But the "STOP SPAM" thing is something very "new""...
    Yeah, it must be. I've not been aware of it but then I really don't venture into the forums or PMs there much at all. It's unfortunate that they're acting in such a manner because otherwise I could see Fragrantica being a great place for us all to migrate to if/when the day comes that BN is simply no longer tenable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

OP, thanks for the link. More fragrance message boards are needed and I will give Parfumo a look.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well, the user "Apicius" is administrator at parfumo.de and a close friend to the owner and the other administrators, who feel a bit like they are the "elite" from parfumo.de. Members are asked to donate to the site, in return You get a silly "heart-button" beside your nic. The money is used to enhance the site...
    As a member to fragrantica.at I definetly cant understand the statement from Apicius, that it is forbidden to use the "parfumo" word.

It is obvious for me, why these rumours are spread - no other site I know has more "erased users" - because parfumo can't deal with constructive criticism, so the the problem is shifted to a competitor - fragrantica.

But enough about parfumo - I like it here ;-))
    Last edited by uhuklebt; 14th January 2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Don’t cry because it‘s over- smile because it was great!!!

I'll be frank, if it were not for the the gilded guild of members I'd not be active here.
    other than member contribution (forUm and reviews) there is nothing astronomic about BN (anymore).

The perfume features and options on parfumo are amazing.

I like statistical data. I wish BN incorporated some.

for swap/sale:

@uhuklebt
    ok ..go and enjoy fragrantica but don't use BN to run down other sites or spread rumours.

^ Just keep it cool, everyone. I'm sure many find this quite an interesting thread in a way, so we don't want it to get lost. I assume this is kind of topic that doesn't need that much of a provocation before the lock will swing.

I haven't checked out Parfumo yet, but I will give it a look. I do admit that I use both Basenotes and Fragrantica daily, though, and love both. I think the discussion is much better and informative here on Basenotes, but I think Fragrantica's website and directory are much prettier, nicer, and easier to use. Also, why does Basenotes website continually go down for a few minutes every now and then? I'm guessing it's a server or host issue, but it's really frustrating, and this is the only forum I've ever encountered with this issue.

Anyway, I love Basenotes & couldn't live without it, but I do wish they would make the site more modern, graphically slick, and dependable like Fragrantica has done. Even though I prefer Basenotes discussions, you have to admit that Fragrantica's directory is beautiful and very easy to use (I also love the instant search as you start typing in their search bar).

Dependent

Fragrantica is graphically SLICK? That has got to be the ugliest, most cluttered website full of hideously annoying ADVERTISMENTS EVERYWHERE. I can barely stand to visit it, it's so awful. They do tend to have more complete note lists for fragrances though.

I really love Basenotes' minimal look. It doesn't get in the way of the great content. Tasteful and functional. Except when the site goes down for hours at a time. New hosting contract, please.

The only thing Basenotes has going for it, is the community forum. That's it. The directory is abysmal, the reviews are minimal, the decor is distinctly unimaginative, dated and amateur template and the owners obsession for quality control is asphyxiating.

If only there were a place that combined the best aspects from all the poplular fragrance communities, someone with the know how and resources could really change things on the perfume community front if they had a mind to.

I love Basenotes too, but it's hard not to notice that the Directory is woefully neglected, and it's often difficult to access the site at all.

But along with others, I also enjoy the no-nonsense bare-bones look of this place, and the "Similar Threads" feature is terrifically useful. Basenotes does not need to be any slicker, to my mind.

I'm here for the thoughtfulness rather than the glitz and flash.

I frequent basenotes and fragrantica, never heard of parfumo. Only problem I got with basenotes is the database isnt up to date and the servers go down often.

L'eaulita- Then why are you here?

I thought that was obvious- for the same reason many people are, the community forum, in particular its active topics. For anything else though, I prefer other sites. I'm not a Parfumo/Fragrantica/insert-other-site touter by the way, in case that was what you're getting at.

I only come for the lists.

I only come for the Dior Homme Intense and Pure Malt threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I only come for the lists.
    What lists are you talking about?

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I only come for the Dior Homme Intense and Pure Malt threads.
    LOL

I do love the community here, and Grant, and the moderation, and all the other stuff that makes BN the classy joint that it is. The directory is still very useful for older fragrances as long as they're not too obscure.

I wasn't sure what it was about Fragrantica that I didn't like, but I think you hit on it, MonkeyBars - it's the ads. Godawful clutter.

Parfumo is pretty much aiming to be the German-speaking world's version of Basenotes, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Sooner or later somebody will hit on the right balance of moderation and "wiki-ness" - a state that will maximize control where it's needed to build a cooperative community, and minimize control where it's needed to build authority content, leading to (IMO) the next level of fragrance web community - the true hive, where workers are trusted. I'm hoping the guys at Parfumo will get the message and be that place, but if not them, it will be somebody else eventually. It was hoping that it would be BN, but the directory here may not allow it.

The quality reviews available are in the first place here on BN and secondly on MakeupAlley, the rest is often vague, gossipy and chit-chat style. However, I have meanwhile created an account for myself on parfumo.net and watch things and contribute a little if it's of interest to me. There are things to like there, but I spend most of my online time here, because of the nice and interesting perfumista company here. Other than that, I have gotten rather sensitive here lately about locking threads without comment. It's such an ill-mannered behavior per se that I will in the future make my active contribution here on BN dependent on whether a thread - containing a contribution from my side - is locked with a reason stated or not. In the past, locking of threads has usually been fine with me, but I bloody demand a word of mouth from the almighty. Other issues such as the atrophy of the directory in combination of seemingly unheard offers for voluntary contribution or the constant server issues lack any good reason meanwhile to give it further thought. Accept it or leave, I suppose.

Even with all of its issues, Basenotes has the most amazing community of contributors.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Basenotes may have more of a Mom-and-Pop feel to it than other frag sites but, for me, there is no place like home.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I'm a new user (mostly reader) and I feel that basenotes is far from being altered due to the amount of info here and the community size.

As an apprentice perfumista, I started reading and posting on Basenotes because of the excellent Forum, the quality of the reviews and the friendly help and encouragement I got from other members. I'm still here for the same reasons. But Fragrantica, despite the annoying ads is seductively pretty, my reviews get posted straight away, and the site seemingly has no problems with its server/host. Prefer BN, but can't something be done about the frequent slowness and the site crashing?
    Parfumo may turn out to be good, but as yet its English-speaking version seems a bit thin.
    I still learn something new every time I log on here, so my apprenticeship is flourishing.

Since I'm most of the time a reader here and on Fragrantica I prefer BN. Why should I always must to log in on Fragrantica since I only like to read? I didn't understand that. Parfumo.Net looks nice but seems like a copy of BN(Forum section)

'Photos from the community' is a potential goldmine. Point-and-shoot cameras are now capable of producing brilliant pics. There are also quite a number of BNers who take superb, commercial-quality photos of fragrance/products and willing to contribute them to this site at no cost whatsoever. That BN fails, repeatedly I might add, to capitalize on this borders on 'insanity'.

While Basenotes will always be Basenotes, and our community here is not to be matched, just wanted to drop a note to say that after a few tentative iterations, Parfumo has got their English-language directory and revues section together in a way that is well worth checking out.

Blog Entries

Why does it have to be either/or ? Basenotes/Fragrantica/Parfumo ?

It is so easy to go - with a couple of key strokes - to all three of these informative websites.

I dislike when comments are made that are negative about the "other" ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Why does it have to be either/or ? Basenotes/Fragrantica/Parfumo ?

It is so easy to go - with a couple of key strokes - to all three of these informative websites.

I dislike when comments are made that are negative about the "other" ...
    well said

Blog Entries

After having spent some days there, I realize that the efforts of the member contributions are rewarded with Parfumo points. So, different activities generate different amounts of points.

That keeps the members on their toes - if you write a good review, the system gives you 40 points for writing one and your peers may give you awards for quality. If you write so-so reviews, no peer awards.

Reviews are encouraged, nonetheless. There is a Guide how to write a good review. The peer awards are an incentive to write good reviews and avoid silly bla bla nonsense.

The whole set-up is newer and no break-downs because the community is smaller.

It will be fun to see everybody on all three websites, like I have said before, and I can assure you, if you use a different user name, your wardrobe and writing style will give you away anyhow, ha ha.
    Last edited by Ursula; 9th December 2012 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Because it is easy to visit all 3 websites and draw comparisons, I have been doing this for a long time. Automatically, people will gather where they like it the best. That said, each of the three websites, Basenotes, Parfumo and Fragrantica have their good points.

It may not be a bad idea to go visiting and keeping an open and neutral mind. The Management of all three sites could learn from one another.

(Just joking: Car manufacturers take the competitor's car apart - to get to know the innards and profit from that intimate knowledge.)

The visualness, although sometimes overwhelming, is an attraction in Fragrantica, especially they have a NOTES display on their Perfume Page.

The full Databank of Parfumo is a definite attraction for outside eyes looking for a specific perfume.

The noteworthy articles on the Front page of Basenotes are very good, as well as the intelligent discussions about perfumes in the Forum.

Parfumo ....Huh, I'm going to have you reported to secret basenotes Police. ...lol
    fragantica is good for perfume dictionary as their platform really suck and don't bother to categorize splitting etc.... they're lacking in community affairs to basenotes but ok for an alternative : Now perfumo, I don't know ..jury still out on them IMHO ....Basenotes had the best platform with Huddler but community wise and interaction wise also is the best and only hoping for all the pieces fall into place on this new-old platform.... Peace and God bless!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    The visualness, although sometimes overwhelming, is an attraction in Fragrantica, especially they have a NOTES display on their Perfume Page.
    Exactly. While not very pretty I know I can visit fragrantica and check the notes, opinions, and quick-and-dirty summaries of any fragrance if I'm in a store and wanting to look something up. The same search on BN has about equal chances of getting you:

1) A subpar database entry for it, with just a few reviews (and having to go through multiple pages for more reviews - something fragrantica's endless column format obviates)

2) A forum topic about the fragrance, easily confused with the database entry because of the plain title, and with even less quick-and-dirty info, or...

3) Comparison threads - X fragrance vs. Y fragrance.

I love the discussion here which is why it will always be my #1 site, but for quick info Fragrantica's DB format is most helpful, even on mobile.

Is there something on parfumo that I'm missing?

I see a fragrance directory that for some lines is more complete than basenotes, but this is not so for other lines.

There are very, very few reviews. What good is the directory without information? It's just basically a list of fragrances.

The forums contain very few active threads with little participation. It almost seems like a dead site to me. I don't see where the community is.

I see nothing there that makes me want to return. Is there a hidden part of it that I'm missing?

The only time i visit parfumo is when BN is acting crazy and i can't deal with it.

However difficult and annoying it can be, Basenotes is great for discussions. I do like Fragrantica for the reviews and statistics.

i don't really consider parfumo much of a competitor. Its like a back up to a back up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Is there something on parfumo that I'm missing?

I see a fragrance directory that for some lines is more complete than basenotes, but this is not so for other lines.

There are very, very few reviews. What good is the directory without information? It's just basically a list of fragrances.

The forums contain very few active threads with little participation. It almost seems like a dead site to me. I don't see where the community is.

I see nothing there that makes me want to return. Is there a hidden part of it that I'm missing?
    What I like on PARFUMO is the efficiency and order with which the site is run. The Perfume Page is really complete with links. PARFUMO is like a boutique with the shelves nicely and accurately arranged. The crowd is small and therefore the Forums don't have many discussions.

What I like on BASENOTES is the level of discussions in the Forums. Also, when one topic is started, at the bottom of the page are references to similar topics. That is great, I can go there and read still more on a subject.

What I don't like on BASENOTES is the slowness of the Server. If help is offered, it might be a good idea to at least look at the help offered.
    See this link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-loading-times

Post #38 (copy/pasted)
    I recommend to optimize the website / web server configuration before upgrading the server. There are many things which can be optimized easily, e.g. enable compression (https://developers.google.com/speed/...bleCompression) and enable browser caching. This would reduce the server load dramatically!

Now, I understand nothing about the technical configurations, but this seems to be a "clean-up" before going to the next server.

I love both websites, BASENOTES and PARFUMO, and am busy on both every day.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    The only time i visit parfumo is when BN is acting crazy and i can't deal with it.

However difficult and annoying it can be, Basenotes is great for discussions. I do like Fragrantica for the reviews and statistics.

i don't really consider parfumo much of a competitor. Its like a back up to a back up.
    This pretty much sums it up for me too.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

[QUOTE=Ursula;2991035]

What I don't like on BASENOTES is the slowness of the Server. If help is offered, it might be a good idea to at least look at the help offered.
    See this link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-loading-times

Post #38 (copy/pasted)
    I recommend to optimize the website / web server configuration before upgrading the server. There are many things which can be optimized easily, e.g. enable compression (https://developers.google.com/speed/...bleCompression) and enable browser caching. This would reduce the server load dramatically!

Now, I understand nothing about the technical configurations, but this seems to be a "clean-up" before going to the next server.
    End quote.

Essentially, we are guests here....
    Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 07:22 PM.

For those of you who have used Parfumo.net, a few questions:
    Do they do, or have they done?:

1. pass-around-the world sample packs
    2. sharing of rare and vintage samples
    2. all-perfumes-in-one-house reviews
    3. all-the-same-note run-offs (A vs B or C, etc. all the way down to one winner)
    4. blind sniff, live-time competitions
    5. in-depth experiments
    6. DIY mixing

I'll believe it when I see it.
    We have done them for years here, on Basenotes.
    I've never met a more fun group of people than these.
    I only have time for one forum. Nope, I'm not going anywhere else.