Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sound Scents

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    For those of you who have used Parfumo.net, a few questions:
    Do they do, or have they done?:

1. pass-around-the world sample packs
    2. sharing of rare and vintage samples
    2. all-perfumes-in-one-house reviews
    3. all-the-same-note run-offs (A vs B or C, etc. all the way down to one winner)
    4. blind sniff, live-time competitions
    5. in-depth experiments
    6. DIY mixing

I'll believe it when I see it.
    We have done them for years here, on Basenotes.
    I've never met a more fun group of people than these.
    I only have time for one forum. Nope, I'm not going anywhere else.
    With all due respect I think this is a bit unfair to Parfumo, as they are still building up their relatively small but dedicated community and it takes a significant community size to do a lot of the things on your list (if not all).

That said, Parfumo has an excellent customized site backbone with a very complete and growing review friendly fragrance directory run by some incredible people. I am very happy to frequent their site often and will continue to do so. I don't see why one can't appreciate, support and participate in both sites (as I happily do).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Blog Entries

Default Re: Parfumo.Net (a tempting new alternative to Basenotes / Fragrantica ?)

The headline is wrong - in concept - when saying, " ... a tempting new alternative to ... whatever ...". Of course, time is limited, and it is easy to get familiar within a location, make friends, trade, exchange off topic jokes, but still, there is no need to feel "loyal" to only one website and look down on the others in the field.

On the contrary, Management of all these three (3) big websites, Basenotes, Fragrantica, Parfumo possibly already know one another in real life, from visiting trade fairs or general get-togethers in the perfume world hemisphere. What would be so difficult, to help each other out with configurations of software ideas, so that when one gets stuck with server problems, the other colleagues could be consulted?

But, maybe, I am living in a fantasy world. So, what can I say ?
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I say more the merrier. I will always entertain more education from various sources. With that said Basenotes has no peer at the moment for their best content and reviews. Frangrancia has the eye candy and reviews being spit out every few minutes but as far as the community forum it lacks substance. Parfumo good luck to them as they try to get of the ground. I think there is a place for everyone.

It's certainly a new community, in both numbers and quality. They have good ideas but it feels too casual, mainstream and the facebook user vibe doesn't help.

Basenotes: discussion forums, reviews and wardrobe.

Fragrantica: directory usability, perfume profiles, note user votes and info.

Parfumo: ?
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Parfumo actually has a lot of things in place to make it a great site and its members seem genuinely interested in fragrances and quite friendly as well. I love the way their directory is set up and how points are awarded to members for certain contributions. The forums are much slower than here on Basenotes, but with more traffic and dedicated users that could easily change. There seems to be a wide range of tastes on the site, from niche to designer, and a very international feel, which is a nice change of pace. While it doesn't have as "large" a feeling as Fragrantica or Basenotes, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as most of its members seem to know their stuff. True, it could use more reviews, but that's most likely due to the fact that it's a new site more than anything else. It needs time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    (...) I love the BN community, and that's not something easily duplicated (...).
    ... that`s the point. Had an account (maybe still have?) on the german version some years ago. Didn`t like most of the talk there. The reviews seemed like ... well ... I don`t know ... sorry ... sh..t ... to put it simple. No real communication to my taste. But it`s just me. Prefer to stay here.
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    For those of you who have used Parfumo.net, a few questions:
    Do they do, or have they done?:

1. pass-around-the world sample packs
    2. sharing of rare and vintage samples
    2. all-perfumes-in-one-house reviews
    3. all-the-same-note run-offs (A vs B or C, etc. all the way down to one winner)
    4. blind sniff, live-time competitions
    5. in-depth experiments
    6. DIY mixing

I'll believe it when I see it.
    We have done them for years here, on Basenotes.
    I've never met a more fun group of people than these.
    I only have time for one forum. Nope, I'm not going anywhere else.
    This is my experience from the Parfumo International site; I have not used or looked at the German site much.
    1) Yes, I have participated in two of them.
    2) Yes, but I personally have not done that.
    2) Yes, a few members have done this (you have 2 number 2s btw)
    3) I think this has been done on the German site
    4) Not that I know of
    5) Experiments of what? Layering scents, trying a fragrance marketed to the opposite gender, etc?
    6) There are members on Parfumo who do mix their own perfumes, but they usually discuss sampling and whatnot in PMs.

But if you have time for just one forum, it's cool. To each their own.

I like Basenotes and I read the forum a lot. However it's not easy to get into the conversation with my fruity, gourmand, foofy-cheap celebrity perfume preferences. Parfumo is a challenge to me because as the sole writer of short and not-so-good reviews on perfumes not yet reviewed by others, well..I would rather just keep my typing hands to myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eule View Post
    ... that`s the point. Had an account (maybe still have?) on the german version some years ago. Didn`t like most of the talk there. The reviews seemed like ... well ... I don`t know ... sorry ... sh..t ... to put it simple. No real communication to my taste. But it`s just me. Prefer to stay here.
    That was then ... that is not now. The current reviews are well thought out. Not sh..t at all. I just wrote one a couple of minutes ago. About "Realm" - (Stille Wasser sind tief ...) I am not a journalist, but sh..t it is not. Go and have a look: http://www.parfumo.de/

Basenotes is the only forum in which I participate though I do visit 4 perfume blogs every day. Fragrantica doesn't appeal to me though I do like the note pyramid. I have not really looked through Parfumo.net thoroughly yet so I can't say much about it. I think that there is room for more than one perfume forum on the WWW.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post

All sites have something to offer, and all have shortcomings. I hope that one day one of them will step up their game, get their stuff together, and assemble a truly comprehensive site with organized management, intelligent members, an extensive database, defintive reviews, and vibrant and informative boards.
    Intelligent members + informative boards on the sites mentioned in this thread are as subjective as reviews about perfumes.

There are various sites with extensive databases. Of the sites mentioned, basenotes and parfumo are inclusive.

There are also forums that do not have reviews but offer incredibly informative and intelligent information about fragrances. Their formats are basic forum types and work just fine.
    Last edited by florette; 11th November 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eule View Post
    I more or less agree. There are some very knowledgeable people at parfumo, but they are mostly lurking, too. Talk for the serious perfume aficionado happens here. Most reviews on the German parfumo are useless as they are more or less mystery-fantasy-love stories instead.

Parfumo's features and performance are state-of-the-art and superior not only to Basenotes. Also, its directory is pretty comprehensive; not least due to a rather smart crowdsourcing approach.
    Nonetheless, when it comes to reviews and discussions I turn to BN first. However, Parfumo is a young community with potential, imho, and am happy to frequent both.

Poetic 'reviews' on the German site may not be everyone's cup of tea, agreed. Yet, I wonder why this would be relevant when discussing the international offspring.
    Last edited by mia von trost; 12th November 2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Basenotes Institution

I love Basenotes - no matter what . I guess for me , it is a loyalty thing. Basenotes and Basenoters taught me everything I know about scent .
    I also do frequent the perfume blogs like Curly but Basenotes is my Scented Home. This place is the most established fragrance forum IMHO and I value the opinions I read here.
    Parfumo and Fragrantica have great merits and I read reviews on these sites as well .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Tempting alternative? No way! An additional resource? Sure, why not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Tempting alternative? No way! An additional resource? Sure, why not.
    The headline, "tempting alternative" must have been phrased when there was a lot of down time and slow response times on Basenotes. Now that this has been fixed, the crowd can happily congregate on the convenient and familiar format, a return to "home" and for me, it feels like good old times.

There are lots of websites where a skeleton crew of die-hards develop who stick together and enjoy the particular site. Others just come by and post from time to time, others just read and never post. That's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'll be frank, if it were not for the the gilded guild of members I'd not be active here.
    other than member contribution (forUm and reviews) there is nothing astronomic about BN (anymore).

The perfume features and options on parfumo are amazing.
    That's why it grew on me too.
    Originally I had only joined Parfumo because of their Souk, which I still think is a terrific feature for trading perfumes.
    Features and a meanwhile extensive database - and I appreciate that people's submissions are processed so swiftly - had closed the deal for me.

Sure, activity on their forum is low, if not meagre, but compared to BN it is still a young community and it remains to be seen what becomes of it. However, BN is a second home I cherish for its expertise and forum activity and I am happy to frequent both, BN and Parfumo, if time permits.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

I must confess I spend more and more time on parfumo.net and .de, and less on BN. I find the display better there, and the marketplace has way more going on for EU parfumistas than here, where it's overwhelmingly North American. Obviously, I can't fault BN for that, as it's the stupid postal restrictions which have caused the difficulties, but it is how it is. Also, the fragrance reviews on the German site are nothing short of outstanding in their majority. I like the discussion here, that can't be beat, but it's my third option when looking for reviews, I'm afraid...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Place an Acct there a while back, and honestly the Spark, is not there and personally didn't get the vibe and enchantment I get here in BN...it's because BN rocks ; and obviously fragantica is my second stop to go to.....honestly, I also don't have that much time to add a third stop...satisfied member here of BN, the only thing is....is when are they gonna merge the Hudler info with the old new System ????
    Last edited by magnus611; 10th January 2014 at 02:33 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes has more reviews, more discussion threads and many more members. That being said, I visit Parfumo frequently for their excellent directory as well as other features. To me, Pafumo is a supplement to Basenotes, in no way a replacement. Fragrantica's page layout is so busy, I find it distracting. If not for their directory and note pyramids, I wouldn't go there at all.

Blog Entries

It may be just a matter of time until everyone realizes how well put together Parfumo really is.

Basenotes is my favorite. I only visit others when I want to expand my review research.