Code of Conduct

Thread: vtg Emeraude

Post vtg Emeraude

Hello BNers!!
    Could someone kindly tell me what vintage bottle this is of Emeraude?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: vtg Emeraude

What year rather....

Welcome to basenotes, Mandella!

I'm pretty sure that bottle is from the early-90s. What is the formulation, and how does it smell?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I spotted it in a vtg store recently and didn't bother sniffing it because I've always been under the assumption that there are really only 2 formulations:the original(good) and everything else(bad) LOL...Can you tell me if there are many formulations and is there a time frame to gauge when purchasing this?I know,I don't ask for a lot....

Blog Entries

Try to get some of this. It still exists. Usually it can be found on Ebay.

Hmmm,I wish my computer had smell-o-vision.lol

I have this PdT:

It starts out smelling a lot like Shalimar, but turns into something much simpler as it dries down. I think its from the 80s, but don't know for sure.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rubegon,I have a mini that looks just like that, and when I compared it to a 90's formulation, the one in the mini smelled so much cleaner throughout, even in the drydown. I think it's legit(I ordered it from ebay). I plan on sniffing the stuff from the bottle I posted at the top and I'll come back with a report this weekend.

Mine is similar to Rubegon's. It looks like this...

It smells wonderful, especially the drydown. I bought a partial bottle on ebay. I'm not sure of the vintage, probably 1970s (?). There is only a little left. I wish Coty would make Emeraude like that again.

I got mine from eBay too.

I did a bit of research before buying it and learned that there is a later formulation that should be avoided where the juice is a brighter, almost neon green. You see bottles where this emerald green juice has turned turn brown, and I think I've read that this may indicate it's gone bad.

In any case, I think if you can get this bottle with this emerald green juice, you are getting the good stuff. My bottle is 1.25 oz, but from the same time I think there are also a .5 oz and a 4 oz. one.

Some of my oldies are brownish green, but they don't smell bad to me. I shall dig them out now and see. I love old Cotys

I wasn't speaking from experience at all - just something I recall reading on a web site. It have have been just been a suggestion that if buying unsniffed, getting the green juice assures you that it won't have gone off. Perhaps the green dye breaks down more readily than the aromatic components?

Yes, the one I have in the 90's formulation is darker green and smells nice but not like the mini with the crown top does. Ive seen the neon green juice and I imagine it smells even more mediocre than either, like they get progressively worse. Coty...why do you do this to us?Dont you love us?lol

this is the type of bottle that you really want. the old parfum bottles with the glass stopper. fantastic stuff!

but anything with the gold/green embossed label with the old coty logo on it, is great. the ones with the art deco design and the green bakelite caps are recommended as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandella View Post
    Coty...why do you do this to us?Dont you love us?lol

he doesn't, the man died 78 years ago. after monsieur coty, vincent roubert took over the torch, and he was also a very gifted perfumer. then, shortly after the war, the decline set in.

point taken.

Well, Coty Inc. only wants to push the celubuscents they make. They don't seem to care about the quality of their old classics. Why should they? Poor Msr. Coty.

Blog Entries

This ad is dated June 1949.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    this is the type of bottle that you really want. the old parfum bottles with the glass stopper. fantastic stuff!

but anything with the gold/green embossed label with the old coty logo on it, is great. the ones with the art deco design and the green bakelite caps are recommended as well.
    That's Art Nouveau, actually.

That is ONE gorgeous pair of bottles.

(for the record, I am being funny.)

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

This ad is dated June 1949.
    I can remember my mum looking like that. Her hair piled all high up with wispy, curly tendrils down her neck, long white evening gloves and long evening gowns, with beautiful make up like Elizabeth Taylor. When she kissed me goodnight before she went out, her scent enveloped me while I was tucked up in my bed and her necklaces used to tickle my face. Maybe that's when the perfume thing began......

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    That's Art Nouveau, actually.
    you're right, this one is more art nouveau than art deco, although it is a bit of both. it wasn't the exact type i was looking for, but not that dissimilar. the art deco ones are great, too. they're less hard to find than the older, glass stopper parfum bottles.

That is ONE gorgeous pair of bottles.

(for the record, I am being funny.)
    mm, i don't get it.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post

mm, i don't get it.
    Oh, sorry, I meant, in mentioning I was 'joking', that I was not being stern or judgemental in correcting you; rather my heart was light, and I was feeling teasing.
    BUT. The bottles are truly gorgeous! No joke. The detail is so special.