Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Basenotes 2012 Meet Up - Interest?

Last year, on November 11, 2011 (11/11/11!) I had the great opportunity to attend the Basenotes Meet up in New Orleans that was coordinated on the Female Discussion Board.

It was a lot of fun and the first thing I thought of in the middle of it all was 'This would be even more fun with lots of guys from Basenotes!' Basenotes is full of Male members who post all of the time, and I would love to meet them and person, shop together with them and perhaps swap samples/decants. I thought it would be a great idea to plan another Meet up for 2012, FOR GUYS AND GALS, in a location that's affordable and where you can smell great designer/niche fragrances that's also a lot of fun. I came up with an idea: LAS VEGAS!

One BN member who attended the Meet up in NOLA, Matildaben, was just as eager as I was to see if any other Basenoters are interested in attending a 2012 Las Vegas Meet up. So she and I spoke and I am posting this thread to generate interest and to hear what other Basenoters would be interested in attending.

So, here’s what we’re asking you to do, if you are interested:

- Indicate if you might want to attend
    - Let us know what dates would work best for you (Matildaben and I were thinking sometime in the first 3 weeks of October 2012)
    - If you live in the area, please use this thread to offer advice on scheduling and activities
    - Spread the word to all of the Basenote members that you know, even those who perhaps don't post as frequently anymore.

The Las Vegas fragrance shopping options are numerous and mostly include shops located inside luxury hotels – that include lines like Guerlain, Chanel, Dior, Hermes and much more. Of course, it might be fun to have non-shopping ‘events’. Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

So…what do you say?

MIKE
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Basenotes 2012 Meet Up - Interest?

I would definitely be interested!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Interested ! There are 2 other BN'ers that I know of that live near me and maybe we can make it a road trip. Anyone in Phoenix interested, let me know ! Its only a 40 min flight or a 5 hour drive away.

Blog Entries

I'll do it.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

FYI, the thread has been cross-posted on the female board at http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292...nterest-thread to gather interest from members there. One person has suggested that many U.S. attendees may have the weekend of October 6/7/8 off work due to Columbus Day.

I'd love to go if it weren't for the thousands of kilometers :-)

Basenotes Institution

Thanks K. for the post of the Female board and that's interesting about Columbus Day, I totally missed that.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

I am definitely interested... Las Vegas is my favorite place in the world. Sounds like a good reason to make another trip. :-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I am definitely interested, and Las Vegas is my least favorite place in the world So that's really saying something.

(I am however looking forward to pronouncing Versace as "Versayce").

i'm definitely interested

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    FYI, the thread has been cross-posted on the female board at http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292...nterest-thread to gather interest from members there. One person has suggested that many U.S. attendees may have the weekend of October 6/7/8 off work due to Columbus Day.
    I personally don't think that many people have a long weekend for Columbus Day.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Columbus Day rates might be higher than other dates in October, no?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would definitely be interested!
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Most likely. Vegas hotels are very attuned to pricing strategies around busy weekends. Big convention business drives rates sky high too. Best deals are found midweek, during times when there aren't any big conventions going on.

Might check with the Vegas convention and visitors bureau to get their advice on this. They can steer you to the right hotels, etc. PM me if you want more info along those lines.

do it in new york city!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mos View Post
    Yessir!

Basenotes Plus

I haven't found that to be the case in the past- the time to really avoid would probably be Halloween.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mos View Post
    NYC could be 2013 or 2014. There are scent events put on by Sniffapalooza in NYC every year as it is. I think it would be nice to expand into the uncharted territories.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    NYC could be 2013 or 2014. There are scent events put on by Sniffapalooza in NYC every year as it is. I think it would be nice to expand into the uncharted territories.
    I think it depends on what you mean by "uncharted". Uncharted non-fragrance trouble to be had: Vegas! But if you want to explroe uncharted fragrance territory: NYC by a mile. You really haven't lived until you've smelled the roast beef accord at CB I Hate Perfume.

(And I am supportive of either experience. I'm already in NYC, so it would be fun for me to leave. But I expect the shopping experience in Vegas is pretty mainstream.)
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 12th January 2012 at 04:06 AM.

Basenotes Institution

There's no doubt that NYC has better shopping than Vegas - our choice for Vegas reflects more than just good shopping but a combination of: affordable accommodations, the ability for a large group to walk from one place to another, ease of travel and of course...fun and novelty. As has been already discussed on the Female thread for this event, many other organizations have had 'events' like this in NY (I am pretty sure Sniffapalooza has one every year?) and since many Basenoters have attended these events I prefer having it somewhere that combines all of the above elements at a 'new' location.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I might be interested in going. What is the experience like? Is there an agenda with some events planned, or is it less structured?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Makes me wish I still lived in California a bit.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I might be interested in going. What is the experience like? Is there an agenda with some events planned, or is it less structured?
    Agenda, yes. Structured, yes but with a lot of flexibility.

Read Quarry's thread that she did for the 2011 New Orleans Basenotes meet up and you'll get an idea of how it was planned out and executed: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/266...Fine-Perfumery

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Las Vegas is an excellent fragrance venue - and there are some aspects that make it even better than NYC. The close proximity of the various boutiques, protected from the weather (or what little inclement weather there is), make for an easy shopping experience. The sales staff treat everybody with respect, because Las Vegas is where everyman does his spendy vacation, and his big money is just as green as the rich guy's pocket change. There is so much to see and do - plenty of restaurants and places to meet, and some amazing non-fragrance sight-seeing beyond the strip. My only complaint is the strategic scarcity of water fountains - because they want you going into all the restaurants and bars.

I love NYC for fragrance, but for getting a large group together and mobbing (perhaps in subgroups?) a whole bunch of boutiques and fancy department stores, LV may be the better choice.

I could make it up to Vegas for a fragrance weekend. Sounds like a blast!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    In addition to the NOLA thread MIke pointed out, there are the threads from the San Francisco and Boston meet-ups from 2010 and 2011 with comparable meet-up "procedures". Sorry I'm not good at the linkies...but I have been to 4 meet-ups and found each one a great time. There has always been an agenda with planned events and a period (even if short) of downtime between events for your own devices.
    A Scent Rescuer

Agenda, yes. Structured, yes but with a lot of flexibility.

Read Quarry's thread that she did for the 2011 New Orleans Basenotes meet up and you'll get an idea of how it was planned out and executed: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/266...Fine-Perfumery
    That sounds like a lot of fun! I want to go, but not sure yet if I will be able to.

New here... but would definitely be interested. I spend a lot of time in Vegas (have spent every other week there for the past three months) and can help with any info/tips anyone might need.

As I am new to the BN forum, this sounds like a Blast and I would love to make this my first experience with BN. I am totally down.

Hey, all,

Sorry I haven't weighed in until now. I would love to. I don't know if I can yet, but it's definite food for thought. Thanks Mike for getting this started!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greycaptain View Post
    New here... but would definitely be interested. I spend a lot of time in Vegas (have spent every other week there for the past three months) and can help with any info/tips anyone might need.
    It would be great if a relative local like you could approach some of the venues with our plans. If you look at threads covering prior meet-ups, you will see that big stores love to set out the drinks and hors d'oeuvres for visiting groups, and to have enough staff on hand for multiple purchases. They've been pretty friendly in the past, even with small groups of picky BNers, so I suspect they would treat a big US meet-up with open arms. Smaller boutiques might prefer just to know that we would be visiting in groups that day. Such advance warning seems to make these things work out better for everybody.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It would be great if a relative local like you could approach some of the venues with our plans...
    Yes, Matildaben and I are communicating about this and once we let everyone weigh in on the dates/etc there will be an appointed person who'll need local Las Vegas Basenoters for assistance.

I want to avoid bombarding the same stores with information about our group and thus not only duplicating efforts but perhaps pissing off a Store Manager or Sales Associate in the process.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th January 2012 at 08:39 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Why So Serious?

I can drive to NYC if it'll ever gonna be held there, 8 hour drive for me.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Blog Entries

Yes, Matildaben and I are communicating about this and once we let everyone weigh in on the dates/etc there will be an appointed person who'll need local Las Vegas Basenoters for assistance.

I want to avoid bombarding the same stores with information about our group and thus not only duplicating efforts but perhaps pissing off a Store Manager or Sales Associate in the process.
    Definitely! There are some possibilities for a great time should we get some good arrangements, but there are also a lot of ways for such things to go bad. Sometimes leaking such plans early, casually, and to the wrong folks can lead to a reflexive "No!", which might have been avoided by a more careful approach.

Not trying to precipitate a crisis here - just trying to help you drum up some warm bodies in preparation for your assault on the LV fragrance scene!

Basenotes Institution

I am posting this simultaneously on both the Male and Female threads

So, I wanted to recap who's interested in the meet up. I've got 23 names (which coincidentally is my lucky number - wow!)...they are:

matildaben
    petruccijc
    knit at nite
    Nersh
    Warum
    Grottola
    mr. cologneguy
    drseid
    Leesee
    Brian Chambers
    Haunani
    gabeinstyle
    lilybelle
    YEAHBUDDY
    OVincze
    rubegon
    cello
    Redneck Perfumisto
    AutumnLeaves
    Al Gae
    greycaptain
    Jawill101
    lionheart

We discussed the DATES and after doing a casual check with hotel prices over a few different weekends, we came up with the FIRST WEEKEND IN OCTOBER, which would be October 5th, 6th and 7th 2012.

We got our rates from Las Vegas Advisor which offer many other deals.

Hotel rates vary - when matildaben selected one 3-star, one 4-star, one 5-star and researched the prices both on Kayak.com and on the hotel's web site the first week does not seem to be distinctly higher, in fact it is often lower. It may also be even cheaper if the person checks in on a Thursday instead of a Friday, according to guidebooks she has read.

I'm hoping that this post will generate even more interest, since now that we have DATES to work with it might encourage more people to join us.

In addition, now we can start working on coordinating with shops and perhaps planning non-shopping events also on Sunday or Friday.

Also, if you live in Las Vegas, and would be available to help us, please post here or feel free to PM me.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I hate to spoil your lucky number Mike, but I am interested in attending this event also.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I hate to spoil your lucky number Mike, but I am interested in attending this event also.
    No problem, glad to have you NYC Boy.

-- Eckhart Tolle

FYI, Rhayban has posed an updated LV Boutique list on the Las Vegas city guide thread.

Basenotes Institution

Cool, thanks!

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've been reading about how great the Guerlain boutique is in a few threads.

Also, I now have confirmed travel authorization (from Aphrodite) so I am definitely going, for what it's worth.

I invite you all to Denmark

I pay for beer, red wine & food for all
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Basenotes Institution

Great news Rubegon!

CHSeifert - Denmark sounds tempting (I absolutely LOVED Copenhagen when I was there a couple years ago)...maybe you should try to plan something in 2013?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Any recommendations for a convenient place to stay? And by convenient, I mean within stumbling distance of wherever I might find some trouble?
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 25th February 2012 at 03:09 AM.

I am wondering if there is a place to stay that is away from trouble, the strip, all that junk. But not a roach motel, lol!

I fully expect to wake up to a tiger in the bathroom. I know how you people party.

Basenotes Institution

A full map, with hotel and shopping details is forthcoming.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I am wondering if there is a place to stay that is away from trouble, the strip, all that junk. But not a roach motel, lol!
    http://www.redrocklasvegas.com

It's out on the edge of town, with a view of the beautiful Red Rock Canyon area. Very nice resort, but you will have to take the shuttle in to the strip. The clientele is well-behaved, but tends to be less "coasty" and more "western" and "heartland" - probably for the same reason of wanting to stay off the strip.

There are also some big, standard hotels that are off-strip but closer to it - they are very nice, too, and resemble the big casinos in terms of quality.

All I can say is that someone better join me for a midnight screening of Showgirls.

Don't worry Brian, I'll help you paint the town red.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I invite you all to Denmark

I pay for beer, red wine & food for all
    It sounds like a good idea!

Austin, Texas. Rabat, Morocco. Athens, Greece. Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Blog Entries

Seems like a brilliant idea. Oh, imagine the smells!

I love Denmark and the Danish, but I think 2013 should be Paris.

My husband and I have been talking about going to Paris in the next year or so. If I could attend a fragonerd meetup at the same time, all the better!

I'd be interested but there needs to be more. There would need to be a lot of sampling and learning happening to make it worth the money and effort no ?

I vote for San Diego / Tijuana. Tijuana sells cologne shipped directly from France at USA prices. Nothing can compare to it in the USA. The only thing they don't have are the niche fragrances. Those are too pricey anyways.

We're just out in LA, we'd totally drive to Vegas whenever this is going on I know a lot of SAs at various different fragrance places there as well, so I can call ahead and make sure they know to expect the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I'd be interested but there needs to be more. There would need to be a lot of sampling and learning happening to make it worth the money and effort no ?

I vote for San Diego / Tijuana. Tijuana sells cologne shipped directly from France at USA prices. Nothing can compare to it in the USA. The only thing they don't have are the niche fragrances. Those are too pricey anyways.
    Don't you have to pay the duty on them when you cross the border? Or is it an all-you-can-carry policy?

Brian,

Not really but YMMV. When I was in Tijuana I went to the border " La Linea" to speak to a US customs official through the fence. He told me it depends on the custom agent. If they think your purchases are for commercial use/Re sale then they can either seize your product or ask you to unload it before you cross into the USA. These guys are looking for drugs and money not cologne. Just be honest and save your receipt.

I crossed back at 4am and was asked if I purchased anything. I said cologne 1 carton of cigarettes and some leather belts. Nothing else happened.

On my last trip to Tijuana I brought back 4 bottles of Chanel PE plus the one I brought from the states. Next time I won't bring any at all with me so I can bring an extra bottle back.

There is no law regarding perfumes just booze and cigarettes...1 carton 1 liter.

When I flew back on jet blue I verified that carrying two 3.4 oz bottles with me in my carry-on and two of the same in my checked luggage was ok.

Scenes of "Maria Full of Grace" playing in my head. Please don't make me be the one to smuggle Invasion Barbare across the border at 4am.

I saw the movie. You'd have to be on a twinkies diet to smuggle your load across !