Code of Conduct

Default Anyone know why sandalwood is associated with magic in fragrance?

anyone know why sandalwood is associated with magic and witchcraft? What does pure sandalwood smells like anyway?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Anyone know why sandalwood is associated with magic in fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    What does pure sandalwood smells like anyway?
    I can only describe it as a sweet, creamy, piney, cedary, earthy wood which probably doesn't help you at all.

Frankincense is more associated with magic than sandalwood is, owing to its long use in religious fumigation, and offerings to spirits. Like frankincense, sandalwood is a very mood-changing substance - uplifting, exalting... It is easy to see why some people would be inclined to associate it with magic. But one must roll one's eyes at 'magicians' all the same.

There is an old saying in South-East Asia, that agarwood/gaharu/oud is the pure gold of scent, and sandalwood is the silver. That hints at the high esteem it is held in. It is diffcult to explain what pure sandalwood oil of the best grade is like, though from what I have observed on basenotes oud (with which I am not at all familiar) seems to be harder still. Creamy, woody, a little sweet, sure. But it is not like anything else. I miss the days when Mysore sandalwood oil could be obtained cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I miss the days when Mysore sandalwood oil could be obtained cheaply.
    I myself used it some 20y ago to perfume - liquid soap. Unforgivable.

By now I try to combine a good East Indian sandalwood (santalum album) with small dollops of genuine orris. It's not so easy to preserve a lubricated fresh green aspect in the sandalwood against some sparkling rasp which peculiarly arises with more orris. In correct proportions, may be lavender added it feels like soft falling snow. The calming effect of genuine sandalwood could be described as being magic.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    I myself used it some 20y ago to perfume - liquid soap. Unforgivable.
    I wouldn't say unforgivable, except in retrospect... I imagine that few people had any idea that the supply would run out so abruptly. I used to liberally sprinkle it into a basin of WATER to be used when I washed my face or shaved. Effectively most of it went down the drain! I must have gone through what today would be hundreds of dollars worth. But again, who knew? At the time, it was a shortsighted luxury, and an affordable pleasure. It does reflect the the sort of shortsightedness behind so many environmental catastrophes, however.

You are exactly correct about the calming property.

After years of "do what thou wilt", my guess is that it has more to do with marketing than anything. You know, like diamonds not being as popular until they were marketed right or U.S. women not shaving their armpits until marketed in the early part of the 20th century.

I seriously doubt you would find any reference to ritually using sandalwood in any Western, pre-Crawley magical texts.

Of course sandalwood has been used (probably since before written history) for religious reasons in the East where it was plentiful. I conjecture that 20th century authors, self-made mystics, magicians, etc. exploited the various religious counterculture movements, drawn to religions & philosophies in the East -- far from what most parents followed -- in the circa & post 1960's era, sort of like how the "granite countertops" trend of today will create an entire generation of people that will demand even the McDonald's of year 2035 to serve Big Macs on granite trays. An entire generation will salivate like Pavlovian dogs at the sight of granite. Freakonomics.

Sandalwood is a little psychoactive.

Post Thanks / Like

It smells very fragrant. Not woody or sharp. Creamy Soft. Very fragrant.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    anyone know why sandalwood is associated with magic and witchcraft? What does pure sandalwood smells like anyway?
    Because something had to be.............

Hello...
    I heard from sources and I believe that brand of Incense was discontinue long ago about 60 years give or take, if your Using Joseph C. Lisiewski Ceremonial Magic book that has the Heptameron. He recommend that brand of Incense, you might have a hard time finding it.

Thanks,
    Andrea

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Because it magically disappears 'just like that' after a few hours...