Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Givenchy Vetyver, CD Eau Sauvage or Encre Noire?

Hi everyone

Long time lurker first time poster. I need some help choosing my next fragrance and based on reviews on here have narrowed it down to these 3.

This will be an everyday scent for the office. I have been using Guerlain Vetiver for over a year now almost everyday and now im so used to it i can hardly smell it on me. Im not sick of it i still love the scent its just not noticeable to me anymore. I think i need some more variety anyhow.

I like vetiver based smells and of these 3 have only sampled Eau Sauvage which smelled great. I havent sampled Givenchy or Encre Noir but based on what I have ready im sure i would like them.

Would Givenchy be too close to Guerlain to be of any difference? Eau Sauvage was quite different to Guerlain so would be happy with that choice.

Would Encre Noir be ok for everyday in the office? Comments suggest it too heavy to be worn everyday and might not go down very well with others around me. Also, i have sampled Terre de Hermes which i didnt like very much, was too distracting/busy, projecting and spicy for my nose.

Im in New Zealand so cant easily sample Givenchy or Encre Noir and for the price of shipping its better to buy a bottle rather than samples.

Appreciate any helpful comments.

Default Re: Givenchy Vetyver, CD Eau Sauvage or Encre Noire?

They're all great scents IMO and I own all three. Of the three, I think that Eau Sauvage would work better as an everyday scent.

All 4 are different.
    Of the four, Eau Sauvage wouldn't be considered a vetiver perfume.

Encre Noire is an astringent vetiver with woods while Vetyver is a nutty vetiver.

To the unskilled nose the Guerlain and Givenchy may appear too similar.
    for swap/sale:

I agree with hedonist's assessment.

My vote would go to Givenchy. Eau Sauvage is the least similar, simply because it is mostly a citrus. Encre Noire is good, but after a while it becomes a little too synthetic, while Givenchy, or Guerlain, remain more natural. In any case, all three are good and very suitable for everyday office use.

If there is a Lush store in New Zealand, you should try Lush Breath of God too, a weird, avantgarde vetiver plus smoke. Quite striking.

cacio

Another good easily available vetiver is Noble Vetiver by Chopard.
    for swap/sale:

Banned

Encore Noire by Lalique - One is initially treated to a drenched, citrusy greenness, afforded by the haitian vetiver, which progresses to an earthiness somewhat akin to the saturated soil of a marsh littered with struggling greens. A warming greenness ensues, brought about by the bourbon vetiver. A duet of vetivers is consummated. From this green, damp and dirty duet, the bourbon vetiver overtakes with a burning, ember-like texture. In the distance, the cool crispness of cypress wood tantalizes, and the tempering heart beckons. Here, the spicy cypress wood stews lusciously with the wrestling vetivers, imparting a dry smokiness to the brew. Transitioning to the soothing base, a sweetness from the cashmere wood taints the subdued vetivers, and combines with a sensual musk to impart a wonderful, dry and animalic woodiness. This exquisite fragrance has a refined and complex uniqueness. A true gem, this high quality scent has good projection and very good longevity, and warrants your indulgence.

Sound Scents

I agree with Hedonist222 that Eau Sauvage is not really a vetiver scent. I love it, but it is definitely more citrus based.

Encre Noir is my favorite of your choices, but it is more an "occasion" scent to me. It also may not appeal to you since you disliked Terre d'Hermes, as they both have heavy doses of Iso E Super in them.

If you can get past Eau Sauvage not really being a vetiver scent, then it would be my recommendation of the three for what you are looking for.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Enygma by Onyrico

Power Where You Need It

I agree with Hedonist as well. If you like vetiver why don't you go for something completely different such as Sycomore? For further infos on this fragrance, you might want to check the reveiws section...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Kia Ora! Givenchy is very different from the Guerlain - sharper, dryer and with a distinctive nutty drydown. It has none of the tobacco and nutmeg that you find in the Guerlain. So it would complement the Guerlain nicely. The Encre Noire is not really a safe blind buy even to a vetiver-lover IMO - it has a bitterness some find off-putting. If you have tested and like Eau Sauvage, perhaps it is safest to stick to that.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Ideally i would get samples of all three to test for a week before making a purchase. I have a nearly full bottle of Guerlain L'Instant EDT which i sampled and enjoyed then after a month i turned off it (looking to sell it if anyone is interested ) Therefore i dont think i want to buy a whole bottle of Eau Sauvage till i have tested properly.

I really like the sound of Encre Noir plus its cheap but i dont want to buy blind. Any suggestions on where I could get samples from other than The Perfumed Court?

Office = Eau Sauvage

Try:
    Parfums de Nicolai New York (citrus, vetiver, amber... very sophisticated office scent in the vein of what you seem to like)
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir (like Eau Sauvage, but has a soft, rich leather note which lasts and carries the frag much longer than the original)
    Fragonard Vetiver (grown up, classy vetiver scent... much like Guerlain but richer and a bit less fresh)
    Givenchy Vetiver (nutty vetiver)
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (soapy, clean vetiver)
    Mugler Cologne (vetiver is in there, but it's part of a clean, green accord that lasts)
    Chanel Sycomore (gorgeously warm vetiver with a complex, sensual backbone of florals and sandalwood)
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by drew959 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I really like the sound of Encre Noir plus its cheap but i dont want to buy blind. Any suggestions on where I could get samples from other than The Perfumed Court?
    Check fragrancevials dot com. They might have some samples of Encre Noire.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I decided the best way to go was samples so this is what i have ordered:
    Encre Noire
    Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel Egoiste
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    Creed MI
    Creed SMW
    Creed GIT
    Creed Aventus
    Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Knize Ten

Looking forward to trying them all out!

drew

It's smart of you to get samples. I've ordered many samples over the last five years and the main thing it has taught me is just how relative smells are to our different noses and life experiences. I own encre noir and have had decants of guerlain and givenchy vetivers. Encre noir smelled amazing to me for a few weeks and then my brain has changed it's mind and now it makes me gag. Weird. Guerlain's vetiver I have reapplied once a year for 5 years and each time I find that after 2 minutes it goes sour and is awful on me. Givenchy's always smelled amazing to me. See the directory on this site. It has unanimously positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by drew959 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. I decided the best way to go was samples so this is what i have ordered:
    Encre Noire
    Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel Egoiste
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    Creed MI
    Creed SMW
    Creed GIT
    Creed Aventus
    Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Knize Ten

Looking forward to trying them all out!

drew
    I like the look of what you've ordered - 1 or 2 off there I've yet to try myself - but you've missed out on "Eau Sauvage"!!

This was part of your original question, and is surely one of the all time greats!!! (Certainly better than anything on your list for everyday office wear).

Not in your initial set of choices, but the above mentioned Grey Vetiver is AWESOME! I think it works fine at the office and everywhere else. However, this one also has a blast of the Iso E super (as does the incredible Encre Noire and TdH), so if that is not your thing, I woud go with the Givenchy, also AWESOME. I'm just coming off of a massive Vetiver sampling and buying spree, so your question resonates. Two I have not tried the Sel de Vetiver, Etro or Vetiver Extrordinaire, all of which also get rave reviews. After sampling about 8 of these things I got a bit "vetivered" out!

PS: knize ten? One of these things is not like the other ones, hahah. That one is a blast of heavy leather, from what I have read (i coincidentally have a sample on the way).
    Last edited by srmd22; 1st February 2012 at 01:03 AM.

HD8 - i have sampled Eau Sauvage and it is one of the few scents i "got". I usually dislike top notes/openings of scents except for Guerlain Vetiver. Eau Sauvage i immediately liked so i didnt think it necessary to buy a sample.

srmd22 - i actually regret not buying a sample of Grey Vetiver now, should have given Knize Ten a miss! But its got great reviews so thought it is a must try. Not sure when i will get a chance to sample it now as it doesnt retail here and the samples from TPC cost a small fortune!

Some of my samples have arrived - Encre Noir, Sycomore and New York. It seems I am sensitive to ISO E Super - Encre Noire is headache inducing similar to Terre de Hermes. A nice scent but very linear - durable and projecting also which i dont really like. Prefer my scent to linger closer to the skin.

Sycomore - very nice creamy peppery vetiver. Very similar inky opening to Encre Noire but no headache. Unfortunately i dont think its something i can wear everyday. Its doesnt strike me as a workhorse like Guerlain Vetiver - something for special occasions maybe.

New York - will wear to work tomorrow

I think of the samples im most looking forward to testing Givenchy. And then Creeds esp MI and Aventus.

Thanks to the replies. Getting the samples, despite the cost, was definately the right choice as i was leaning towards Encre Noire and that would have been a mistake.

+1 Givenchy vetiver
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

The Dior
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

I'd go for Givenchy Vetyver too.

I actually think Encre Noire is a relatively safe blind buy, but I don't think it's safe for office. I think it's best worn occassionally for evening events or weekends with overcast.

My vote goes to Givenchy Vetiver, if you want a classic structure (might come across as dated to some) or Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, if you want a modern structure (easy on the spray though, max 2 sprays).

Givenchy Vetyver either vintage or mythique is the best of the lot & nothing like Guerlain