Code of Conduct

Unhappy recently reformulated kouros?

yesterday i tried like for the fifth time kouros at an official retailer
    i was finally convinced and decided to Buy it

so today afew moments ago i went to the grey market and Buy it (also Bought ysl - pour homme haute concentration, yeah imma ysl-head lol, but thats not the point)
    i just sprayed at my wrist, and it doesnt smell the like the one i tried yesterday
    it smells like it skipped the top notes and went straight to powdery middle notes
    it lacks the incrediBle sharp fresh top notes from the one i tested yesterday at an official stores

But mayBe this official store/grey market thing its not the proBle (i've Bought almost all my Bottles there and all are authentics)
    Because i checked the serial numBer at the Bottom of the Bottle
    62h709 at checkcomestic.net
    and it says its valid for at least 30 months,
    Date of manufacture:july 2011

so thats why im asking if kouros went through a reformulation or what?

please some help me, i mayBe will Be returning it Before 9pm

Default Re: recently reformulated kouros?

another detail that might Be important:
    only the cap has metal up and down

the Bottle doesnt have the metal Bottom
    is white, same as the Bottle

If it has, it would be the first time I have heard of it happening.

smeller

Since I received a sealed bottle of recent Kouros (also 2011 according to CheckCosmetic) as a christmas gift, I'm also curious to know if some knowledged Kouros fan already did a serious comparison between the newer juice and the previous, as I don't feel safe to unseal this bottle yet. Kind of a Kouros "update thread".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWyvV...layer_embedded

my Bottle is the same as in this video

smeller

neo_angel, could you please post a pic of your box bottom (where the codes are) and back (list of ingredients)?

ok i'll try, imma have to find the passwords of photoBucket.com or something like that

there you go

can anyone post pictures of the Box of the not-so-reformulated kouros?

i know even the ones with metalic shoulders and Bottom are reformulated
    But this one i have is reformulated as f....
    very toned down, no strong sharp top notes

my cell phone takes crappy pictures
    But this is a Better picture of the Back of the Box:

smeller

Very interesting. So your box doesn't mentions "2YF02-2" or "2YF02-3".

Am I wrong or the bottom of your box doesn't mention the number 81100 either? Are you sure it is legit?

My sealed bottle is from april 2011 and mentions "2YF02-3" and 81100.

Also, your box doesn't have barcodes in the bottom, and the ingredient's list is in the middle of the box, not in the lower part.

Perhaps you just spotted a huge Kouros reformulation. I'm still waiting for other comments about this "non-metallic bottle", though.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Very interesting. So your box doesn't mentions "2YF02-2" or "2YF02-3".

Am I wrong or the bottom of your box doesn't mention the number 81100 either? Are you sure it is legit?

My sealed bottle is from april 2011 and mentions "2YF02-3" and 81100.

Also, your box doesn't have barcodes in the bottom, and the ingredient's list is in the middle of the box, not in the lower part.

Perhaps you just spotted a huge Kouros reformulation. I'm still waiting for other comments about this "non-metallic bottle", though.
    the serial at the Bottom is in white text thats why the camera didnt catch it
    it says: 62h709
    that numBer actually appears as valid at checkcosmetic.net
    i think this is mayBe the latest Bottle design which came with a lower quality formulation

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    the serial at the Bottom is in white text thats why the camera didnt catch it
    it says: 62h709
    that numBer actually appears as valid at checkcosmetic.net
    i think this is mayBe the latest Bottle design which came with a lower quality formulation
    Something I noticed is that in the photos above, parfum/fragrance is listed as the third ingredient, after alcohol and water. It's listed as the second ingredient in my '2YF02-3' version.

I'm not sure exactly how much this means, but perhaps something given we're comparing versions of the same fragrance.

this version of kouros is not worth purchasing
    this is not the kouros i like, mayBe its a new Bottle design with a new formula
    But im not diggin it enuff, this is more soapy, powdery and digestiBle
    i know kouros at this point has Being reformulated several times
    But i didn't like this formulation
    the one i tried one day before with metalic shoulders and Bottom still awsome

btw, is that ysl - pour homme haute concentration in your picture?
    awsome scent, i just got me one Bottle of that, im loving
    Blind Bought it, its just what i expected, herBal and strong and dated as f...

smeller

neo_angel, 88100 is not the batch code, but the product code. I wonder if your bottle brings that number in any place. The single fact of omitting this would be a strong sign of reformulation. Can you confirm that this number is really absent in your box?

I was skeptical until I saw the picture of the back of the box. The ingredients list is waaaaaaayyyyyyy different from my box. God damn it, L'Oreal! I HATE YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    neo_angel, 88100 is not the batch code, but the product code. I wonder if your bottle brings that number in any place. The single fact of omitting this would be a strong sign of reformulation. Can you confirm that this number is really absent in your box?
    there's no nomBer such as 88100
    the serial numBer is in the Back of the Bottle
    the code is: 62h709
    it is inside the text in Black that it is all around the stamp
    the camera didnt get it Becus it is white and too small, and the picture were took By a cell phone

Kouros refuses to be reformulated. Bad a** that one.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    Kouros refuses to be reformulated. Bad a** that one.
    True, until they do it. If L'oreal already did it with with the dinosaur Polo Green, perhaps now it's Kouros time.

Banned

it sounds like it was not stored properly ... see >>>>> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/255...me-and-storage

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    The top notes, being more volatile, are generally the first to go and will be the most vulnerable to heat and light. Properly stored, a fragrance can be good-as-new after 10 years.

Also keep in mind there is nothing preventing a maker of fakes from printing a valid batch # on the bottom.

smeller

According to the OP description, I think the probability of being a fake is higher than just bad storage. Sorry, neo_angel, but I hope you bottle is a fake.

OMG, they've reformulated Kouros?! So it doesn't smell of BO and Patchoulli anymore?!!? Damn...what a shame...

So is it just a change in the bottle, or also a reformulation of the juice?

Wasn't there a report about a year ago Kouros was being discontinued? I'm sure many of us would appreciate someone with accurate information about Kouros' current status.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Ah shit, I rarely used kouros because I can't tell how much I have left, and this news made me even more paranoid.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Wasn't there a report about a year ago Kouros was being discontinued? I'm sure many of us would appreciate someone with accurate information about Kouros' current status.
    There are rumours that they not only discontinued it, but there is also a CIA plan to take back all the bottles from our homes, no matter where we live, and use them as a weapon against terrorists. Some say that there are aliens involved.

I just purchased a 50ml of Kouros today, after getting home and giving the back of my hand a liberal spray, the fragrance seemed different and devoid of anything remotely animalic, almost like it was too muted/clean/smooth and had skipped right to the dry down. Finding this thread I used www.checkcosmetic.net only to find that the bottle was from 2009, supposedly only good for 36 months and with 1 month left to go of that time frame!

Luckily I live across the road from the mall which I bought it, so I marched back over there and was very fortunate to get a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    my cell phone takes crappy pictures
    But this is a Better picture of the Back of the Box:

I looked on my box and the difference in ingredients is that you only have Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss ex.), on my box there is E. Prunastri + E. Furfuracea (Tree moss extract).
    Mine is on checkcosmetics 2009

OK, so after returning my bottle of expired Kouros yesterday at the discount store, I went out and purchased a new bottle from a department store. It's manufacturing date checks out as January 2012, looks just like the OP's bottle (sans bottom metal rim) and has a similar serial number/code on the bottom. Problem? My feelings mirror the original posters. This does not smell like the Kouros which I've sampled in the past, it's as Neo-Angel said, too soapy, too vanilla/powedry, too civilized, devoid of any animalic bite .

I feel cheated

Duke I cannot believe they have neutered Kouros as I remember how popular it was in the Eighties. And the animalic aspect of it is what makes the fragrance, changing that and you turn it into a generic drug store frag. That is sad to hear that one of the last Eighties greats has been civilized.

You can't possibly be that surprised after what they did to Opium. L'Oreal is a terrible company.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Also their little cost cutting exercise on the bottle is ridiculous too. The older bottle looked much slicker and balanced with the metal trim on all corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    OK, so after returning my bottle of expired Kouros yesterday at the discount store, I went out and purchased a new bottle from a department store. It's manufacturing date checks out as January 2012, looks just like the OP's bottle (sans bottom metal rim) and has a similar serial number/code on the bottom. Problem? My feelings mirror the original posters. This does not smell like the Kouros which I've sampled in the past, it's as Neo-Angel said, too soapy, too vanilla/powedry, too civilized, devoid of any animalic bite .

I feel cheated
    I have owned 2 different bottles of Kouros, and experienced exactly the same as you. The new bottle was very "thin" and weak comparing to the old one. It has been reformulated, no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I have owned 2 different bottles of Kouros, and experienced exactly the same as you. The new bottle was very "thin" and weak comparing to the old one. It has been reformulated, no doubt!
    I just gave my hand another heavy spritz to see if it's my mind playing tricks on me. Nope, this is pure liquid hand soap, nothing even remotely challenging about it

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with everyone a little something which really intrigued me.

So i love Kouros ALOT!! I have several different batches now from the 80's 90's and 2000's eras.

Anyway i keep my vintage stuff stored in a box with zip lock bags and bubble wrap.

I purchased a bottle of the reformulated Kouros about 3-4 months ago and did not like the reformulation so i decided to wear other colognes.

Yesterday, i was running late and decided to grab the NEW Kouros and take it with me and spray it at work.

I live in Sydney Australia and right now it is very hot and it is summer. Anyway i forgot to take the Kouros out of the car.
    It was about 36 degress Celcius yesterday in Sydney and before i knew it lunch time had come. I walked past a fragrance store and relised that
    i had left the new Kouros in the car and it was HOT and so i rushed back to get it out since it was directly exposed to sunlight.

What happened next really took me by suprise....

I immediately sprayed it on my hand to see if the juice had gone bad, Turns out that the heat actually improved the scent and made it smell like a 2006 batch. So i decided to keep it in there until the days end. In total 9 hours of continuous heat in the car which is exposed to sunlight.

I got home, had a shower and compared the new reformulation that was sitting in the car to a Sanofi version from 1992... They smelt nothing alike.

I then compared it to a 2002 batch and they smelt identical and very nice. Infact im wearing the new reformulation right now and i can say it smells much better than before. I know for a fact that it is not a result of maturing because i purchased 2 bottles of the reformulated 3-4 months ago and compared the two and the one that was left in the heat smells brilliant. (The juice when comparing the two reformulated versions, the one in the car seems to have darkened ever so slightly)

Anyway, i know we shouldnt keep the juices in sunlight etc but i did and it actually worked out well.

Thought to share it with everyone...

I think the current Kouros will appeal to more people, as the animalic touches have bee almost removed. I like my Kouros skanky and musky so I will stick with the previous formulations.

I wanted to try the new formulation at Ulta, but unlike a few years back, I was told they don't carry it any longer. Perhaps few liked the new formulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilk83 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with everyone a little something which really intrigued me.

So i love Kouros ALOT!! I have several different batches now from the 80's 90's and 2000's eras.

Anyway i keep my vintage stuff stored in a box with zip lock bags and bubble wrap.

I purchased a bottle of the reformulated Kouros about 3-4 months ago and did not like the reformulation so i decided to wear other colognes.

Yesterday, i was running late and decided to grab the NEW Kouros and take it with me and spray it at work.

I live in Sydney Australia and right now it is very hot and it is summer. Anyway i forgot to take the Kouros out of the car.
    It was about 36 degress Celcius yesterday in Sydney and before i knew it lunch time had come. I walked past a fragrance store and relised that
    i had left the new Kouros in the car and it was HOT and so i rushed back to get it out since it was directly exposed to sunlight.

What happened next really took me by suprise....

I immediately sprayed it on my hand to see if the juice had gone bad, Turns out that the heat actually improved the scent and made it smell like a 2006 batch. So i decided to keep it in there until the days end. In total 9 hours of continuous heat in the car which is exposed to sunlight.

I got home, had a shower and compared the new reformulation that was sitting in the car to a Sanofi version from 1992... They smelt nothing alike.

I then compared it to a 2002 batch and they smelt identical and very nice. Infact im wearing the new reformulation right now and i can say it smells much better than before. I know for a fact that it is not a result of maturing because i purchased 2 bottles of the reformulated 3-4 months ago and compared the two and the one that was left in the heat smells brilliant. (The juice when comparing the two reformulated versions, the one in the car seems to have darkened ever so slightly)

Anyway, i know we shouldnt keep the juices in sunlight etc but i did and it actually worked out well.

Thought to share it with everyone...
    You recently joined BN and have only a few posts, AND you are making a claim that defies logic but is in accord with what one blogger (and few others) who has some very strange ideas has said. This leads me to think you might be that person or a "shill" for that person. Slight changes are possible (usually over the course of months if not years), of course, but the only reasonable explanation, if you are "real," is that it lost most of its top notes and you are now experiencing the mid and base notes primarily.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 6th December 2013 at 02:04 AM.

No Im just a novice... Ive been wearing Kouros since 1999... and only just recently, literally 3-4 months ago i noticed the change in bottle and also the scent.

I then found this forum and did some research since the Kouros i was used to smelt different and ended up getting vintage bottles on ebay. You can find my two ebay account "neilkapoor" and also kduong211" and see my purchases. Im definately a person who just out of an accident discovered that the Kouros smells fine after it was left in the heat.

I contacted Andre Moreau and also ericrico who in my opinion those two know more about Kouros than anyone that i have ever come across. They also helped me learn and identify batch numbers as well as checking out vintage purchases prior to me buying from ebay sellers.

I can certainly tell you that Vintage really is the best stuff around, but me leaving the Kouros in the car yesterday and discovering a nicer one inline with previous versions was just kismet i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes im only new to the forum but i am learning alot from it!

Quote Originally Posted by neilk83 View Post
    No Im just a novice... Ive been wearing Kouros since 1999... and only just recently, literally 3-4 months ago i noticed the change in bottle and also the scent.

I then found this forum and did some research since the Kouros i was used to smelt different and ended up getting vintage bottles on ebay. You can find my two ebay account "neilkapoor" and also kduong211" and see my purchases. Im definately a person who just out of an accident discovered that the Kouros smells fine after it was left in the heat.

I contacted Andre Moreau and also ericrico who in my opinion those two know more about Kouros than anyone that i have ever come across. They also helped me learn and identify batch numbers as well as checking out vintage purchases prior to me buying from ebay sellers.

I can certainly tell you that Vintage really is the best stuff around, but me leaving the Kouros in the car yesterday and discovering a nicer one inline with previous versions was just kismet i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes im only new to the forum but i am learning alot from it!
    Why don't you send those guys a small sample from that "cooked" bottle and let's see what they have to say!

More than happy to, will send Andre and Ericrico a PM now

Basenotes Plus

Hi Neil -

This is rather strange, I must say. A bottle of any scent getting cooked and getting better?? But, I'm game. If he's right, I will be microwaving bottles of reformulated juice and enjoying them myself!

And, just to clear any question up...Neil has been a very kind and humble 'newcomer' to Basenotes who is eager to learn. His passion is to enjoy scent. Kouros has been the topic of our conversations and he highly respects the Vintage bottlings, as anyone should. He's not some guy fronting for anyone.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 6th December 2013 at 04:16 AM.
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I procured a vintage late 80s Kouros tester from an antique dealer on Ebay. I will review that once I get it,
    Who bought the other one? Because I posted the link for it on basenotes. It was offered at a bargain too, 47 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I procured a vintage late 80s Kouros tester from an antique dealer on Ebay. I will review that once I get it,
    Who bought the other one? Because I posted the link for it on basenotes. It was offered at a bargain too, 47 bucks!
    I was looking at that last week i think, anyway i woke up and it was sold guess you got it! Good stuff though!!

^Yup thats me lol