Code of Conduct

Default Please help! Need recs!

Hi all! Basenotes is a great resource - I've been using it for a while to look up perfume reviews but only just joined.

I've been using Prada's original Prada EDP for a few years now and am ready to try something a little different. I LOVE the warm, golden, make-your-mouth-melt amber/vanilla of the drydown, especially because I find it vanilla-y but not overly sweet.

Recs for a fragrance that has a similar drydown? Or even better - smells that way all the way through? I tend to like sweet orientals and I also like sweet/spicy combos, but I really don't like flowery smells or anything with aldehydes. They just don't work with my body chemistry. Thanks!!

And a random PS - any women out there tried Chanel Allure Pour Homme? I smelled this on a guy recently and found the drydown similar to my lovely Prada, but with a spicy edge. Delish, but not sure if it would work on a woman.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help! Need recs!

Maybe you are ready for some Creed or Bond. Possibly you should try some samples from LuckyScent or Perfumed Court.Some nice Creeds are Indiana Tubereuse and Royal Water.

What about Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue from Guerlain? Oldies but goodies on the sweetish vanillary front. Well they are on me. Even today's formulas are still delicious. Really sweet vanilla would be JPG Classique but I'd suggest Gaultier2 which I find beautiful. It's supposed to be unisex but is deep, spicy and resonant.

If you like gourmand and not too flowery, try Goutal Eau de Charlotte. If you like sweeties then the new Ellie Saab Le Perfume may fit the bill well.

Thanks for the recs! I've been wanting to try some Guerlains so maybe I'll start there.

Blog Entries

Dior Addict & Hypnotic Poison.

Welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bond West Side, Goutal Myrrhe Ardente, vintage Shalimar

GelbeDomino - is there much difference between vintage Shalimar and what's available now? Has it been reformulated/I've heard reforumulations usually smell different...

I haven't tried the new one. I'm sorry. I know there are differences, but cannot say what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by rso6e View Post
    GelbeDomino - is there much difference between vintage Shalimar and what's available now? Has it been reformulated/I've heard reforumulations usually smell different...
    The new Shalimar is somewhat different but it is still gorgeous. I love both the older and the new versions. Don't worry, go ahead and try the new formulation.

You can find threads on Shalimar re-formulations here on basenotes if you want to read more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rso6e View Post
    And a random PS - any women out there tried Chanel Allure Pour Homme? I smelled this on a guy recently and found the drydown similar to my lovely Prada, but with a spicy edge. Delish, but not sure if it would work on a woman.
    Why not get a sample and see how it works with your skin chemistry? Maybe it's just the One for you