Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Cédre - my initial review

I bought this blind! I just had to, I found a really good deal on a tester bottle and have been searching for something sweet with tuberose that was also something I could wear as a man. From the reviews and Luckyscent's scale that shows this as being on the masculine side, I decided to go for it!

Luckyscent lists the notes as cedarwood, tuberose, musk, amber and cinnamon.
    Fragrancenet lists the notes as tuberose, amber cinnamon, musk and cloves.

The first blast from this fragrance is heavy and rich, maybe a bit medicinal. (I don't mind that at all!) And I for one do smell cedar from the very beginning, but I almost have to think about cedar to smell it because this one is blended so well that no single note powers to the front. It is as if the cedar woodiness is tempered by the tuberose which itself is not at all cloying. I have smelled Tubereuse Criminelle and found it to be over the top with tuberose and smelled like soap to me, and was very feminine. Not Cédre.

This is a tuberose scent but so well blended that it is not a pure tuberose by any stretch of the imagination. (I grow tuberose and know the smell well in flower form.) I find both a lot of white flowers and a musky background with a lot of amber and just enough cedar to make it interesting and make it more wearable. There is a spiciness that has to be the cinnamon and cloves but those notes are so well incorporated that it is hard to detect for me. I get a syrupy dark honey feel. Some people have said it smells of spiced apples or cider, I don't get that feeling.

This one has an "old" vibe to it. Not in a bad way, but something that smells like a classic sweet scent, but unlike a lot of things that smell old, this one does not have even a hint of powder which is great because I hate powder.

Would I buy this again? Not sure...I love this one and I have a feeling it will grow on me. But I have Ambre Sultan and these two both share the amber feeling. Very glad I have this one though. At last a tuberose scent I can actually wear.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Serge Lutens Cédre - my initial review

This is my SOTD. I absolutely love it - but I am a big tuberose fan in general. However, it is not just all about tuberose and is not "in your face" like some other tubersose scents. It is definitely tempered by the cedar and amber.

I highly recommend it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I'm so glad you're talking about Cedre! I'm a Cedre fan, and despite the detractors I find It very compelling. I just wrote a little bit about it at KatiePuckrikSmells.com.
    jtd

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    This is my SOTD. I absolutely love it - but I am a big tuberose fan in general. However, it is not just all about tuberose and is not "in your face" like some other tubersose scents. It is definitely tempered by the cedar and amber.

I highly recommend it!
    Yes, my scent of the day too. Have to wear this one and figure it out.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Nice reviews (akahina and jtd):
    I had not thought too much about the relation btw cedre and tc. I am more of the over the top TC, but Cedre is certainly worthy too.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Nice reviews (akahina and jtd):
    I had not thought too much about the relation btw cedre and tc. I am more of the over the top TC, but Cedre is certainly worthy too.

cacio
    My comparison between Tubereuse Criminelle and Cédre are sort of obvious to me, only because they share tuberose as a major note and I have been searching for something with tuberose that I could wear. And to be completely fair, I have only sampled Tubereuse Criminelle from a wax sample, perhaps not a fair way to judge a fragrance... (Would love to have a single ml so I can do a REAL test.)
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Very nice scent indeed.

So much talk about tuberose presence. I must retry it.

Thanks for sharing.

for swap/sale:

I find Cedre an amazing frag that has grown on me...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Dependent

Curious about this one. Thanks for the info

Fab review Akahina. Have you given this a full wear yet? Just curious on how your experience of the dry down.
    My favourite part of this frag is the wonderful glowing accord left on this skin at the end of the day after a full days wear.

Curious about your comment on Ambre Sultan though. I have to say I find these two to be quite far apart. I'd love to know what you think after a few repeat wears too.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have only sampled Tubereuse Criminelle from a wax sample, perhaps not a fair way to judge a fragrance... (Would love to have a single ml so I can do a REAL test.)
    Gosh this is no comparison at all!
    If I was in the US I would glady send you a sample of my TC. The wax samples pretty much represent the late drydown of the Lutens', none of the severe medicinal punch of the parfum.
    Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying this, it sounds like a fantastic alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Fab review Akahina. Have you given this a full wear yet? Just curious on how your experience of the dry down.
    My favourite part of this frag is the wonderful glowing accord left on this skin at the end of the day after a full days wear.

Curious about your comment on Ambre Sultan though. I have to say I find these two to be quite far apart. I'd love to know what you think after a few repeat wears too.
    I wore this again today and I really like Cedre. And I agree, it is quite different from Ambre Sultan. They do share an amber accord, but that is about it. You are correct, the dry-down of Cedre is wonderful. This stuff lasts! (Just what I like.) I put this on almost 8 hours ago and in the end I get more cedar, still a lot of sweet and a bit of musk perhaps. I am not as good at describing what I smell as many basenoters, but I do know I love this complex and well blended scent. And the cedar is much different from another favorite, Terre d'Hermes which has the Iso-E Super smell. I will admit, it takes me quite a few wearings to get to know a scent and I have worn this very lightly once and moderately today. I don't think I want to over spray this one. Nobody commented, but I get the feeling that everyone around me can smell this...I sure do.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Glad to hear your enjoying it Akahina. I think you're right about being careful in application. I have over-applied this once and never again - it was a little headache inducing after 8-10 sprays.

This review is exactly how I feel about Cédre
    To my nose tuberose is clearly there but it's blended with other notes so well to cover the smell of the real flower. I also agree that this one has an "old", familiar vibe about it

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Glad to hear your enjoying it Akahina. I think you're right about being careful in application. I have over-applied this once and never again - it was a little headache inducing after 8-10 sprays.
    I can't imagine 10 sprays of this one! I used one on the wrist and two on the chest and still smell it a day later. The dry down is delicious.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense