Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 5 Humiecki & Graef samples reviewed:

Where'd you happen to snag a sample of Blask? I am DYING to try that scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Where'd you happen to snag a sample of Blask? I am DYING to try that scent.
    ausliebezumduft have them going

Isn't the shipping charge something outrageous to have them ship samples to the US?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    ausliebezumduft have them going
    That's where I got mine from. The shipping wasn't so bad, and I bought about 7-8 samples (all stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else), so it made the shipping costs less painful.
    Sales thread here

Hate to resurrect a thread where I haven't updated the reviews also but my question isn't about that...
    Here in Berlin - I'm surrounded by Humiecki and Graef!! I can't stop drooling... but...
    How many of you actually own a full bottle from H&G?
    I love Bosque - I know I know, it's probably the safest of the line, along with Geste... yes I love Blask, and thoroughly appreciate Multiple Rouge and Askew - but I know I'd wear Bosque, and I want it!!! But you know when you get that inkling (not that other peoples opinions on what you like should matter) that there's something you should be considering before buying one? It's almost like, getting one would make people go "Oh no he didn't just pay full price for that?!"...
    It's the same as +MA by Blood Concept which I'm really enjoying and want a bottle of but I'm like "Omg what will people say?!" hahaha. Am I being ridiculous? Anyway, just wanted some updated thoughts on who's loved this brand enough to go splash out on it

Well, that's the reason I didn't buy Blasque, Bosque or Skarb - they're wayyyy too expensive. I appreciate and love all of them but didn't feel that I needed them enough to warrant the price tag.

If you love a fragrance enough for you to buy it though, then go for it! Who cares what other people think. You could always keep the price a secret anyway

Well, you have to give Candour a try. This is not for everyones nose. The initial citric/herbal blast might scare off some but over the drydown its reveals nutty notes/raw olive greeness. Very complex but worth a sample for sure.
    Please cancel my subscription to your issues.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Well, that's the reason I didn't buy Blasque, Bosque or Skarb - they're wayyyy too expensive. I appreciate and love all of them but didn't feel that I needed them enough to warrant the price tag.

If you love a fragrance enough for you to buy it though, then go for it! Who cares what other people think. You could always keep the price a secret anyway
    They are expensive, but that is for 100ml, I mean, a lot of Frederic Malle's are around that price just for 50 :/ And no one bats an eye for that cost for a Mona di orio fragrance. Hmmm, I may just have to buy it today :') (convincing myself here).

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Well, you have to give Candour a try. This is not for everyones nose. The initial citric/herbal blast might scare off some but over the drydown its reveals nutty notes/raw olive greeness. Very complex but worth a sample for sure.
    Yer I tried Candour a couple of times. I'm not sure on it, to be honest it just came across to me as a clean, powdery floral with some spicy notes - I really liked it, but it wasn't "the one" but it's certainly got some interesting accords going on in it.

If you love it and you'll wear it often, I say get it! A fragrance's FBW viability should not be determined by the credibility of the house or its standing here or in the fragrantosphere, but simply by the enjoyment it provides you.

I've got a full bottle of Skarb and someday I'd like to pick up Askew, too. Still have yet to try Blask or Candour. Blask, especially, sounds like one I'll love.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, this may sound like a random suggestion but I find Givenchy Play Sport (which i've been wearing for the last 3 days now) has a number of similarities with Bosque. It's not so spermy (although I did pick up a latex like note in the drydown of play sport once!) but it follows a similar smooth citrus/mint combo into a white musk/white woods dry down. I think Bosque is more unique but my nose prefers Play Sport.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    If you love it and you'll wear it often, I say get it! A fragrance's FBW viability should not be determined by the credibility of the house or its standing here or in the fragrantosphere, but simply by the enjoyment it provides you.

I've got a full bottle of Skarb and someday I'd like to pick up Askew, too. Still have yet to try Blask or Candour. Blask, especially, sounds like one I'll love.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, this may sound like a random suggestion but I find Givenchy Play Sport (which i've been wearing for the last 3 days now) has a number of similarities with Bosque. It's not so spermy (although I did pick up a latex like note in the drydown of play sport once!) but it follows a similar smooth citrus/mint combo into a white musk/white woods dry down. I think Bosque is more unique but my nose prefers Play Sport.
    Hi Sculpture!
    Your post meant a lot reading all that and put my mind at ease haha, as silly as that sounds.
    I bought Bosque today (yay!) - I love that spermy note in the drydown, the opening blast is just pure joy to me and I find it to be a more emotional, summery Secretions Magnifique. I do love it so I'm glad I finally bought it.
    And talking about house credibility and stuff, I also bought M/Mink by Byredo today :') I never though i'd own a Byredo! I used to think this juice was absolutely repulsive, but randomly I sprayed it on today, let it sit for about an hour and went back for a bottle, it's incredible stuff! So yes, I'm thrilled, gonna post all my purhcases in the today i bought thread at the end of my holiday - it's gonna be a haul and a half! (in my standards!)
    I'm fascinated that Skarb was your first bottle, it never really clicked with me, but as an aquatic, I easily consider it one of the best around, although an aquatic is a very layman's way of describing it, it is a lot more than that. Askew constantly appeals to me with it's sweaty/swimming pool/smoky smell. I nearly bought Blask today - but something about it makes me uncomfortable, although the drydown is much more enjoyable. I can't say I truly get the wine and walnut - although there is a subtle nuttiness, and a slight tanning smell - I mainly got violets? And a creamy woods - but it's got some herbal notes and is full of H&G wierdness that made it fascinating - it's a great fragrance though.
    I also tried Candour again today - last time I found it to be a floral spicy powder - I was wrong, it is still that, but the bitter greener in it is really unusual, and yet again, that H&G wierd signature splashed over it - it dries down to a sweetish/parchmenty/green/lactonic smell - yet again, the opening was a little too hardgoing for me before I began to thoroughly enjoy it. Still - I absolutely love this house, it's a shame hardly anyone speaks about them.

The funny thing is that the expectations of the community and blogosphere in general have created this sort of narrow band of what is 'acceptable' niche. It's really just as predictable as the mainstream market, imo, and just as rife with brand identity and all the things that the fragrance snobs stick their noses up. The hypocrisy of it! Then you get a house like H&G, who does something just totally different - some truly unique, very modern and mainstream-but-with-a-twist scents - and they get ignored. All the while, the perfumistas want something 'different and unique' but what they really want is more of the same; more Jubilation XXVs and Ambre Sultans and what not. It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating.

Enjoy the Bosque! I'm going to have to wear it again soon. I think it is perfectly executed conceptually (one of the few H&G's where the emotion or feelings the scent triggers in me is the same as they portray in their ad copy, unlike with say Skarb supposedly being melancholy, or Askew angry. I find Skarb very grounding and Askew is more full of life, or rather, life blossoming again after a thaw. Vitality and vigor, maybe, but not fury as they claim. Well, that's my take.)

Heck, I even really like the way Bosque smells, although I just don't think I'd wear it often enough to make it FBW. It is, however, one of the few scents that truly strike me as happy. Maybe now that I've gotten my life in order again and am finding more and more happiness, I'll be inclined to wear happier scents more often. I definitely feel less pull to wear my darker and more introverted scents as of late.

Ok, I better stop. Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy the hell out of Bosque and talk up H&G whenever you can! The house definitely deserves more praise than it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and how could I forget to congratulate you on the purchase of M/Mink?!

What a wonderful scent. Although I have to be careful because if I'm not in the mood for it I find it to be a bit sickly and annoying - at least the first couple hours. The mid to late drydown is just pure magic though. I wish it jumped right to that phase.

I've never gotten any negative remarks about it, either. My ex actually really liked the way it smelled, and I've had one other girl smell it closely (sprayed it for her on a card and asked her opinion; the only girl I'm really close enough to do that with comfortably) and she didn't love it but didn't hate it. I think it's one of those scents that doesn't really work on paper though; it needs context. By context, I mean, it needs to be smelled in the air and then associated with the image of the man wearing it; ideally a bit mysterious, dark, or aloof.

I also get a wonderful evergreen aroma in the scent and find it delightful to wear this time of year. M/Mink fits like a glove in the winter, and summer heat brings out the animal in it.

Enjoy!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well, that's just the thing about Bosque - it fits the marketing perfectly, but also - beause the so called "happy" scent, really isn't my thing, I've always struggled to understand why I like it so much. It's becuase H&G's idea of happiness is so differnet. There's not pink pepper and tangerine and bergamot - instead you get what I consider an almost melancholy so-happy-you-could-cry floral arrangement and buffallo grass that smells so raw and... "plain" that it becomes fascinating when used in a fragrance... they practically use weeds :') and what joy it is just so natural, how often are you surrounded in jasmines and orange groves - that's not happiness. The drydown as it curdles into a spermy, earthy vetiver with that huge lactonic note swallowing it up (mmmm unnecessary descriptives) is just the perfect finale - it's crude but honest. a "joyful" fragrance who's heart is shallow and it's execution unexpectadly sexy - i love it. It needed to be bought! Haha.

Yay! I was reading your thread on M/Mink last night actually - settled my mind also knowing there was more love for it out there (and how coincidental it was coming from you!) haha. I can imagine it gets sickly, but then many of my favourite scents do - I used to adore the hell out of Cuir Ottoman and now I struggle to wear it because I wore it in the summer and it sickened me so quickly, now it's cold I'm beginning to crack it out a little bit.
    I can't wait to get some real time with this one, I have owned it for like, one day, and I feel my collection just wouldn't be the same without it, need to get it home to join my others! Ha.
    I totally agree with the context, and I think a lot of fragrances are like that anyway - I always said that to justify my purchase of Musc Maori - yeh it's a straightforward chocolate milkshake (bit sour and curdled though) - and I'm like - yeh but I am the last person you'd expect to smell like chocolate :') and that's why it's a sexy fragrance for me.
    M/Mink is one of those perfect heartless fragrances though, the one that needs an image to give it a personality - sure it has on of it's own but it's too dark for most people to see I think.

Anyway, here's me rambling on now all in love with my new goodies Thanks for the reply Sculpture I appreciate it!

My "essay" on Bosque - it's long winded, I don't blame you if you don't read of course :') My rambling always goes overboard, but for anyone that does, I'd love to know what you think - whether it's insane or not

Excellent essay forfreddie. THAT! That connection. That emotion. That need to attempt - always in vain, but necessary all the same - to translate ineffable emotions from a deeply moving olfactory experience into concrete words... that is why the true fragrance fans are here. That's why I still come to BN, 6+ years into the journey.

Do not apologize or fear that your words are 'insane' - no sad smiley needed. Hell, save the sad smiley for those who might think it insane - for it is they we should feel sorry for. They're missing out on a whole 'nother world.

Everyone should go read his essay. Seriously - everyone; if only as a reminder to why we're really here.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks Sculpture I appreciate that a lot.
    I know but, you never know how these things will go down - a few people seem to think it's just like a long review, which I guess it kind of is. I know essays like this are a bit self-absorbed but there's no other way of going about it really when you're writing something that probably no one else is going to experience with that scent. But everyone will in one way or another with something else so I guess that's why it's worthwhile to publish rather than just write.
    Thanks for taking the time to readd it

Quick question for you forfreddie,

What are new bottles of H&G going for over there?

And also - is it possible/easy for you to get samples? If you can, PM me and maybe we can work something out. I really want to try Blask and Candour.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hi Sculpture - unfortunately it's just as difficult here... as far as I'm aware, the UK doesn't have a stockist of Humiecki and Graef - that's why I took the opportunity to get one in Berlin. The bottles are going for the standard price as per Ausliebezumduft (150 Euros) and samples, I guess there is the best bet, along with Luckyscent if they're in stock.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Wow, freddie. Now THAT'S what I call a review.

I was just over at a local stockist last week & tried a few H&G. Was pretty impressed with Blask and Clemency. And Eau Radieuse looks set to be a crowd pleaser imo. Too bad I was in a hurry so I didn't get to try Bosque. Perhaps I should return next year. The only niggling problem I have with H & G is the bottle's gawd-awful-bland looks (yes call me shallow, lol). It remind me too much of Lacoste Essential, sans 'embossed crocodile'.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow, freddie. Now THAT'S what I call a review.

I was just over at a local stockist last week & tried a few H&G. Was pretty impressed with Blask and Clemency. And Eau Radieuse looks set to be a crowd pleaser imo. Too bad I was in a hurry so I didn't get to try Bosque. Perhaps I should return next year. The only niggling problem I have with H & G is the bottle's gawd-awful-bland looks (yes call me shallow, lol). It remind me too much of Lacoste Essential, sans 'embossed crocodile'.
    Sorry late reply, I've been off Basenotes for a while
    Thanks Diamondflame that means a lot to me.
    As I said in the review though - Bosque isn't particularly mindblowing in it's construction or scent, but something about it just clicks with me and it amazes me each time I try it - I think it's subtly genius and I could write and write about it.
    Yeh the bottles are a bit basic, but I like it, I like the different materials for the lids (especially the cork for Candour), they are a little more interesting than they first appear
    Blask and Clemency are both great, I think the whole line is extremely solid - a very very overlooked line I can't say enough good things about them.