Code of Conduct

Default 5 Humiecki & Graef samples reviewed:

I had pictures and stuff attached to it so I'll just post my link.

Ordered a huge batch of samples which came today so I've spent the day exploring them. Been HUGELY dissapointed with most of them. The Henric Vibskov ones were just rubbish. Ordered some CdG which unfortunately didn't take my fancy!
    And some biehlparfumkunstwerke, which were also a let down.

But H&G have blown me away.

Some initial reviews of Skarb, Bosque, Geste, Multiple Rouge and Askew

Default Re: 5 Humiecki & Graef samples reviewed:

I agree on the Vibskov...abysmal. Biehl is very erratic, ranges from total crap to fantastic...what have you sampled? And what exactly from CDG?

H&G has some pretty cool stuff (e.g. Skarb and Blask)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Ah I'm gutted I didn't get to try Blask, and Eau Radieuse, and whatever other ones weren't available on luckyscent at the time I ordered.
    My biehl ones were, mb02, al02 amongst a couple other non worth mentioning....
    The comme des garcons, both monocles, hinoki which I really hoped to enjoy but didn't find as exciting, stephen jones, another I really wanted to like, I didn't realise how clove filled it would be - can't stand cloves, and zagorsk, also picked up a lot of cloves in this which was a shame. I'm really trying to explore more CdG I like, I own avignon, and it took me a while to enjoy that!
    Vibskov - abysmal is a perfect word. Feels like a right waste of samples.
    Also got some Tauer's, which I didn't like as much as others.
    But testing the Humiecki and Graefs, really gave me some inspiration to the load of rubbish I've been choosing recently.
    You have any suggestions alfarom? I always respect your nose on this forum.

I can't wait to try Blask, myself. I've tried all the rest of them. I actually blind bought Skarb as it was on sale for over half off - luckily I love it. I would love to own bottles of Askew and Geste and maybe even Bosque but I think I'll live with samples or decants as they aren't remotely close to scents I'd wear regularly. Still, I love'em! Heck, Eau Radieuse is a wonderful once in a while scent, too. Green bananas, lemons, and a wide open sense of space. There are days when that scent would blend in such a synergistic way as to make magic.

It's interesting that you pick up watermelon in Skarb. I've never gotten such a vibe - I get more of a sweet chamomile along with lemony incense in the opening along with a bit of 'brown sugar' from the myrrh/carrot seed/orris combo. My skin brings out the salty herbal elements of Skarb and make it a great great great late summer early autumn scent. It evokes the thought of golden leaves and dry, yellow fields. Grain and earth. Salty and human.

Speaking of salty and human, Bosque really does capture the essence of - well, have you seen the marketing picture they use for it? It's very post orgasmic in a sense. The slightly tangy grapefruit and salty vetiver notes mingle with the milky accord to create a smell evoking the essence of a woman, while the chlorinated marine notes and again the milky accord combine quite well to create the slightly sweet smell of the essence of a man; all of that on a bed of grass. Bosque, a quick romp in a summer meadow. Carefree and joyous.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    But H&G have blown me away.
    Some time ago I drove sculpture_of_soul nuts with my claim that Skarb is all about the chemical 'helional' and less else. I have to apologize. There's a lot more than that. But, helional is the star of the show. I get the same vibe from Byredo M/Mink. It resembles - no offense - gherkins, the Polish variant. The aroma I remember is a mixture of lactic acid (plus its natural companions), vinegar, seeds of mustard, dill and much bay leaves, honey to sweeten it just a bit. Since gherkins must remind Polish guys of her families, doesn't that fit the ad copy? The soul and tears thing I think of.

On the other hand, CdG - same relies on 'saffraleine'. Insense Ultramarine goes for 'pharaone'. Once one has smelled the kind-of-plastic raw materials in high concentrations these ingredients won't hide any more. Particularly chemicals that are designed to give a whole palette of olfactory sensations with only one molecule. May be I'm too critical ...

You have any suggestions alfarom? I always respect your nose on this forum.
    Thanks for the kind words FF. My suggestion is actually to give a second chance to a bunch of stuff you already sampled. I don't know which Tauers you tried but, usually, they need some time to be properly appreciated. He also delivered some forgettable compositions such as a couple of the Pentachords, Eau Epices and Orange Star (at least to me), but fragrances like, for instance, Carillon Pour Un Ange may deserve a second chance...

I actually quite liked AL02 but like it better AL03 which is bsically an imporvement on the 02 with the addition of a considerable animalic base. The rest of the offering is quite unremarkable...

As for CDG, my suggestion is to have some patience with the Stephen Jones. Yes, cloves are definitely there, but unless you're really hypersensitive to them, they're kinda overwhelmed by violet leaves and aldehydes and not so prominent...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    ...Green bananas, lemons, and a wide open sense of space. There are days when that scent would blend in such a synergistic way as to make magic...

It's interesting that you pick up watermelon in Skarb. I've never gotten such a vibe - I get more of a sweet chamomile along with lemony incense in the opening along with a bit of 'brown sugar' from the myrrh/carrot seed/orris combo. My skin brings out the salty herbal elements of Skarb and make it a great great great late summer early autumn scent. It evokes the thought of golden leaves and dry, yellow fields. Grain and earth. Salty and human.

Speaking of salty and human, Bosque really does capture the essence of - well, have you seen the marketing picture they use for it? It's very post orgasmic in a sense. The slightly tangy grapefruit and salty vetiver notes mingle with the milky accord to create a smell evoking the essence of a woman, while the chlorinated marine notes and again the milky accord combine quite well to create the slightly sweet smell of the essence of a man; all of that on a bed of grass. Bosque, a quick romp in a summer meadow. Carefree and joyous.
    Wow Eau Radieuse does sound great, loving this lines creativity at the minute, their execution so far seems fantastic and very accurate.

Wierd, you deacribing Skarb makes it sound like a whole other fragrance. Well I've still got stacks more wearings of them ahead in the future so I'm sure my initial impressions will change.

And yes! I didnt see the Bosque advertising until after I tried it, it's perfect! Sums up everythinf it feels to me. This will probably be my first purchase from the line, absolutely loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Thanks for the kind words FF. My suggestion is actually to give a second chance to a bunch of stuff you already sampled. I don't know which Tauers you tried but, usually, they need some time to be properly appreciated. He also delivered some forgettable compositions such as a couple of the Pentachords, Eau Epices and Orange Star (at least to me), but fragrances like, for instance, Carillon Pour Un Ange may deserve a second chance...

I actually quite liked AL02 but like it better AL03 which is bsically an imporvement on the 02 with the addition of a considerable animalic base. The rest of the offering is quite unremarkable...

As for CDG, my suggestion is to have some patience with the Stephen Jones. Yes, cloves are definitely there, but unless you're really hypersensitive to them, they're kinda overwhelmed by violet leaves and aldehydes and not so prominent...
    Yeh the Pentachords really didn't interest me. Eau d'Epices I admired but couldn't get passed the bay note. I picked this up very strongly in Une Rose Chypree which turned me off but, I loved everything else going on in this so I'll definitely give it more wearings. My first Tauers were LADDM, Lonestar Memories, Orange Star and Incense Rose, for me: OS and IR were the standouts and everything else I've tried by him just doesn't compare! Shame you don't like OS, I think it'll be my first Tauer purchase.

Yeh al02 was pleasant, nothing more, wish I'd got 03 now though sounds more interesting. Also regretted not getting mb03 as I read its an inbetween Avignon and Cardinal... Ah well, wont bother with this line again.

I will definitely try Stephen Jones again, the aldehydes were fantastic and I love violet but the cloves were too much initially. I may be able to get over it as it's more dentist-euganol-clove than spice. I'll never own a bottle I'm sure, but I'll enjoy some good wearings.

Thanks for your input

Also regretted not getting mb03...
    Don't even think about it, a true rip-off. If you want to eperience a "different" take on Avignon go directly for Preludio D'Oriente.

"It's interesting that you pick up watermelon in Skarb. I've never gotten such a vibe - I get more of a sweet chamomile along with lemony incense in the opening along with a bit of 'brown sugar' from the myrrh/carrot seed/orris combo. My skin brings out the salty herbal elements "

Wierd, you deacribing Skarb makes it sound like a whole other fragrance.
    The description You refer to sounds pretty much like 'helional' (http://www.iff.com/custom/iff/books/.../324382196.pdf , page 44). May be all that development - which is impossible for a sole molecule - is a game with otherwise developing contrasts in the rest of the fragrance. Skarb is special; it reminds me of Polish ghurkins which is a peculiar effect if You know Poland from first hand experience. The Slavish man ... ...

The price is rediculous, though. I could not buy it without feeling bad. Too bad.

<edit> helional is also known as 'floramelon' - so there has to be a melon-y aspect ...
    - http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1007731.html
    Last edited by WildThingy; 13th January 2012 at 06:05 PM.

alfarom - thanks for the suggestion I'll look into that one!

WildThingy - that would explain it. I'm useless with my knowledge pf aroma chemicals and such, so appreciate little bits like this thanks.
    I'm testing Bosque more and loving it, but you're right, the price - Oh Man!!

alfarom - thanks for ...

WildThingy - that would explain it. ...
    Thanks! And - I took the time to write a 'review' for Skarb in the directory. Know what, Alfarom considered a similarity of a certain aspect of M/Mink and Skarb too. Despite both fragrances being conceptually quite different. Some chemicals seem to have a very special signature without being too weird.

Hmm, the weird thing is that now that melon has been mentioned, I can sort of smell it if I try when sniffing the top notes. I wouldn't say that melon is the predominant note by any means, but there is a facet of it up there along with the rest. Interesting! I don't doubt that helional is there indeed.

Question to those who've tried both: Is there any similarity between Skarb's fresh/watery notes and Profumum's Acqua di Sale? If I recall, I think Turin described AdS as "helional alone."

All of that being said, Helional's substantivity is listed at only 64 hours over at Good Scents site, while any base note (look up say, Sandalwood, Labdanum, etc) is always listed at 400 hours (it must be the most they measure as I've never seen any higher number there, despite different base notes having different - but very long - substantivities.) So surely it's not "just helional" as the longevity would be pretty bad if that were the case (note that the 64 hour listed longevity is on paper and in 100% concentration.. I've found that you need to divide that number by at least 10, and probably more like 20, to get a realistic "on skin" time).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

All of that being said, Helional's substantivity is listed at only 64 hours ... I've found that you need to divide that number by at least 10, and probably more like 20, to get a realistic "on skin" time).
    The stuff persists quite a time. It regularly overpowered even immortelle / straw flower in the end.

Of course Skarb is not just helional. The dry down has some musk for sure. By that it avoids - to some degree- to become too one dimensional in the end. Just today I smelled the breathtaking sillage of a friend, who prepared to stumble into a new team. Contemporary fragrances are mostly quite predictable, and their utter simplicity is as obvious as their synthetic origin. Skarb is nothing of that kind.

I'm afraid I spoiled Your fun with it. When all these people started to discuss various aspects of Skarb, which I considered typical for helional I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Bad boy!

I gave it a thumbs up. At least it has a funny story behind it, say mothers home made ghurkins, at least to me. And technically the idea to center a scent on a specific complex smelling chemical is not that revolutionary any more, but here it is worked out quite well.

It's been a while since I've heard of much discussion of Humiecki and Graef.

Has anyone spent some more time with this line? I'm really curious about Askew, Bosque, Blask and Skarb.

I just received samples of Askew, Bosque, Blask and Skarb. I guess I'll post my impressions here...

Well, I'm wearing Blask right now, and quite frankly, this is one of the best fragrances I've tried in a long, long time. That doesn't mean it's easy to wear though. To me, it smells pretty much like the notes in its official pyramid, but the red wine comes off more like red apple (likely some sort of tannin smell). Official notes are red wine, bay laurel, walnut wood, floral notes and oud. All in all, I'd say it smells like sweet red apple candy (but smooth and good quality) over a touch of bay leaves and walnut wood. I don't really smell the oud, but there's a very nice and clean/floral musk in the base that smooths everything over very well. There's seriously nothing out there that smells like this! It's unique, clean, sexy and youthful, but it doesn't smell cheap. At the same time, it doesn't smell luxurious either - you could smell this on someone and you'd have no idea it costs 200$ for a bottle.

I don't get the Straight to Heaven similarities, but I am detecting something that reminds me of Le Male! It's weird because Blask smells NOTHING like Le Male, but I think I'm smelling a powdery, clean musk used in both fragrances.

Anyway, this is a very special fragrance, and I'll definitely be wearing more of it this week. My hat's off to the "Christophes," the perfumers who created the Humiecki and Graef line. This is really a refreshing and unique composition - modern perfumery at its best.

Dependent

I get a solid dose of calone in Skarb which was the only reason I rejected it. I dislike calone strongly, but I definitely respect Skarb's uniqueness and integrity of concept. Askew was also off for me but not easily dismissed -- very unique too. I think H&G has a lot of integrity as a company considering the speed of releases.

H*ly sh*t I haven't even given these a lot of time, but I'm sniffing Skarb and Askew and they're simply genius. I haven't been this excited about a fragrance line in months.

SO UNIQUE, and SO GOOD. Christophe Laudamiel is by far my new favorite perfumer.

Skarb is this comfy, earthy, dewy, rain-y barley and carrot seed fragrance, while Askew is electric, like the air before a thunderstorm, yet so well-calculated, sexy and sophisticated. It's like Abercrombie's Fierce but 10 years down the line, with more class.

I tried Bosque yesterday, but I was a little underwhelmed by it. It was like a mix of fresh and ozonic notes, buffalo grass and clean synthetic musk. The buffalo grass note is awesome though.

Glad to hear you love them L'Aventurier. You seem to be into the modern avant garde scents, so that doesn't surprise me too much. Laudamiel (and Hornetz) are arguably the masters of that genre.

I too love Skarb and Askew. I need to get a bottle of the latter. It is so truly alive - it is just perfect to wear as the snow is thawing and spring is returning.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I noticed you own a bottle of Skarb - it's such a great fragrance. It's a shame it doesn't get more positive attention on these boards.

The only other fragrance I own by Laudamiel is S-ex. I really love that one too, it's so modern and unique. Very avant-garde!

I'll have to keep an eye out (or a nose) for Laudamiel and Hornetz's next fragrances together.

If you notice Askew on sale somewhere, like Luckyscent or something, let me know and I'll do the same. I'd love to own a bottle too, I'm just a bit hesitant to pay the 220$ price tag.

It's only available at First in Fragrance as far as I know. And yeah, it's hard to cough up so much for it - but not because it's not worth it. Yeah, it doesn't come across with the 'opulence and splendor' most would demand of a $200+ perfume, but I don't care, it has a true vitality to it that so few perfumes have. I'm just hard up for cash as of late :P.

Regarding Skarb, I actually blind bought it last year for my birthday as I found it for sale for about half off - and it was the last bottle in stock according to their site (and it actually went out of stock after my purcahse so they weren't actually misrepresenting their stock to make a sale!) A great blind buy. The earthy incense is like nothing else; the closest comparison might be a lighter take on the basic theme of Yatagan, but even so there are many differences.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well said, SOS. I was just thinking that - the H&G fragrances aren't loud and luxurious, which, for some reason I expect from higher price tag fragrances. The Humiecki line still stands out, but in a reserved and confident way. Like saying something witty and intelligent without shouting.

I'm definitely going to purchase one of them, either Skarb or Askew. I really enjoy Blask, but it doesn't really suit me. I'm wearing Skarb today and it's really enjoyable. I'm getting kind of a salty-ozonic vibe on top of the barley, which smells so natural, yet modern and clean. It reminds me just a little of Erolfa in terms of the ozonic saltiness.

You got an awesome deal on Skarb! That's a pretty crazy blind buy, but I guess there's a lot to be expected from the Christophes these days.

Gosh these reviews are old and desperately need updating!

L'Aventurier I was also so excited when I tried this line. Keep at it with Bosque, it was the one that blew me away and I've wanted a bottle ever since. Pure joy on first blast - spring meadows, dried glass and delicate flowers with a bizarre lactonic note that transforms into a Secretions Magnifique sperm accord of salt and metal. It's BRILLIANT.

Hey forfreddie, I actually really enjoyed reading your reviews on your blog. I wanted to thank you for that, since you're the reason I chose to sample the Humiecki line in the first place. There weren't many reviews on the net about them, and you did a great job describing them. It got me really interested in trying them.

Considering your blog and the fragrances you reviewed, it's obvious you've got good (and eclectic!) taste with an appreciation for the art of the perfume/fragrance.

I'll give Bosque another shot this week. The other fragrances are so good that I can't imagine that one being anything short of amazing too.

Ah thanks man! These little quick sniffs were written when my blog first started in January - it was pretty much when I was getting into the whole niche thing for reallll you know. I set the blog up more so I could remember my thoughts on every sample I tried... but it evolved hugely since then
    Please do, fair enough if it's not your favourite of course, Skarb was my least favourite from what I tried - I guess it depends on what you're used to sniffing prior to them.

I just spent a few days with Bosque. It's a quality fragrance, no doubt. Truly unisex, inoffensive and perfect for anytime, weather or place.

I love it, but there are a few caveats. There are certain things I don't like about it, namely that it smells a bit generic, and it also smells like something I would use to clean my carpet. I hate saying that, but it's true. I might still buy a bottle one day, but it's hard to jump in when it costs so much.

In terms of what I smell in Bosque, I mostly get a kind of sweet and ozonic, bluish-green accord (like a gust of fresh air, violets or cucumber) mixed with the smell of new plastic, over buffalo grass and white musk. There are other really interesting facets, like a kind of milky skin smell and a touch of something salty. It's very clean, with nothing animalic, though it still has character and doesn't smell antiseptic. It's uber-soft ALL THE WAY through, with no harsh or sinus-tingling notes and everything is impeccably blended into one big soft, fresh and comforting accord. It smells to me like a pillow that my girlfriend would sleep on after washing her hair with some fresh cucumber-scented shampoo.

I wore it for 3 days in a row, a testament to how interesting it is to me, but I'm still left undecided about it. I really suggest trying it if you like modern, fresh and airy scents that don't offend. For those looking for fragrances that make a big statement, I'd suggest Askew, Blask or Skarb over Bosque in a heartbeat.

Loved reading your thoughts L'Aventurier - it's wierd, your review sounds so negative but you still say you like it and find it interesting. That's rare.
    I completely understand what you're getting at in saying that it is completely smooth. The natural opening of dried grass and that milky sunshine cucumber smell is purely joyous to me, generic? - I have smelt nothing like it, but it does go a bit cleaning product-ish, but it's wierd becuase there's no citurs which would be the usual association.
    As for the challenging aspects, I find the metallic salty "semen" like accord in the base the challenging part - it is so unexpected and flies up out of nowhere. The advertising images for this scent fit it perfectly:

I do find the fragrance is almost sepia toned. And there's this bizarre dirty musky sexuality underneath the fresh accords up top that bring to mind in construction (but not scent) to S-Ex by S-Perfume with it's calone over musk and leather. It's got that huge contrast in it but is created so that it is seamless and almost unsurprising.
    Of course I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, your description is spot on. I think I will end up with a bottle one day as well. Personally it's my favourite in the line (but I haven't tried Eau Radieuse, Blask or Clemency). I'm thrilled you gave it a second chance and some good wearings

Loving the conversation here.

Just as a random aside, for anyone who likes Eau Radieuse but finds it too expensive, do give (and don't laugh!) Derek Jeter Driven by Avon a try (the original, with the blue juice). I got a sample of Driven by a friend whose mother is an Avon lady, and immediately upon trying it thought of Eau Radieuse, despite not knowing the notes of Driven. After looking them up, it makes a lot of sense - it shares citrus, bamboo, mint and rhubarb notes. Driven's dry down is a bit different, going a bit 'cooler' and woodier while Eau Radieuse stays warmer and has more of a sense of space throughout, but they are close enough that if you like one you'll probably like the other, and then it's just worth seeing which one you like more.

I do like Eau Radieuse a bit more thanks to the differences in the dry down, but there are things I prefer about Driven, too, such as its lesser projection, and toned down citrus elements in the early stages.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Dependent

I was just participating over on a Bond No. 9 thread and it occurred to me that while I don't wear much from either house, they're almost opposites.

• H&G are conceptual perfumes, designed to be wearable (not by many, perhaps) but provide a story with each wearing.
    • Bond are proletarian and meant to be sprayed, sort of olfactory paint, though their colors are bright -- garish? -- indeed.

• H&G seem to release new perfume about 1x/year?
    • Bond have released about a dozen in the past 18 mo

• H&G: classic, understated visual design
    • Bond: loud, brash visual design

• H&G: appeals to the aesthete?
    • Bond: appeals to the status-obsessed?

Bond is kitsch. There, I said it. I also wear 1 Bond and 0 H&G's. What does that say about me...

MonkeyBars, I wouldn't get too analytic about it in terms of what it says about you hahah

Bond has some great scents, and although I think there's a lot of rubbish released per year, they've prob got as many gems as Humiecki and Graef (overall).

On a side note, I spent some time with Askew, and although I love the way it smells, it kind of grates on me. It's super "spiky," like the fragrant equivalent of a metal workshop, full of sparks and the smell of iron being grinded with iron. I don't think it's very wearable for me, even though I like the idea it presents. I also think that, it's a better deal to just buy Abercrombie and Fitch's Fierce, as they share the same metallic, bitter cedar basenotes. I do prefer and appreciate Askew, but it's similar enough to Fierce for me to buy a bottle of Fierce instead.

I'm still really enjoying Skarb and Bosque (surprise, surprise!) though. I'd have to say those are my favorites, with Blask not far behind.

Where'd you happen to snag a sample of Blask? I am DYING to try that scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Where'd you happen to snag a sample of Blask? I am DYING to try that scent.
    ausliebezumduft have them going

Isn't the shipping charge something outrageous to have them ship samples to the US?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

ausliebezumduft have them going
    That's where I got mine from. The shipping wasn't so bad, and I bought about 7-8 samples (all stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else), so it made the shipping costs less painful.

Hate to resurrect a thread where I haven't updated the reviews also but my question isn't about that...
    Here in Berlin - I'm surrounded by Humiecki and Graef!! I can't stop drooling... but...
    How many of you actually own a full bottle from H&G?
    I love Bosque - I know I know, it's probably the safest of the line, along with Geste... yes I love Blask, and thoroughly appreciate Multiple Rouge and Askew - but I know I'd wear Bosque, and I want it!!! But you know when you get that inkling (not that other peoples opinions on what you like should matter) that there's something you should be considering before buying one? It's almost like, getting one would make people go "Oh no he didn't just pay full price for that?!"...
    It's the same as +MA by Blood Concept which I'm really enjoying and want a bottle of but I'm like "Omg what will people say?!" hahaha. Am I being ridiculous? Anyway, just wanted some updated thoughts on who's loved this brand enough to go splash out on it

Well, that's the reason I didn't buy Blasque, Bosque or Skarb - they're wayyyy too expensive. I appreciate and love all of them but didn't feel that I needed them enough to warrant the price tag.

If you love a fragrance enough for you to buy it though, then go for it! Who cares what other people think. You could always keep the price a secret anyway

Well, you have to give Candour a try. This is not for everyones nose. The initial citric/herbal blast might scare off some but over the drydown its reveals nutty notes/raw olive greeness. Very complex but worth a sample for sure.
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Well, that's the reason I didn't buy Blasque, Bosque or Skarb - they're wayyyy too expensive. I appreciate and love all of them but didn't feel that I needed them enough to warrant the price tag.

If you love a fragrance enough for you to buy it though, then go for it! Who cares what other people think. You could always keep the price a secret anyway
    They are expensive, but that is for 100ml, I mean, a lot of Frederic Malle's are around that price just for 50 :/ And no one bats an eye for that cost for a Mona di orio fragrance. Hmmm, I may just have to buy it today :') (convincing myself here).

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Well, you have to give Candour a try. This is not for everyones nose. The initial citric/herbal blast might scare off some but over the drydown its reveals nutty notes/raw olive greeness. Very complex but worth a sample for sure.
    Yer I tried Candour a couple of times. I'm not sure on it, to be honest it just came across to me as a clean, powdery floral with some spicy notes - I really liked it, but it wasn't "the one" but it's certainly got some interesting accords going on in it.

Default Re: 5 Humiecki &amp; Graef samples reviewed:

If you love it and you'll wear it often, I say get it! A fragrance's FBW viability should not be determined by the credibility of the house or its standing here or in the fragrantosphere, but simply by the enjoyment it provides you.

I've got a full bottle of Skarb and someday I'd like to pick up Askew, too. Still have yet to try Blask or Candour. Blask, especially, sounds like one I'll love.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, this may sound like a random suggestion but I find Givenchy Play Sport (which i've been wearing for the last 3 days now) has a number of similarities with Bosque. It's not so spermy (although I did pick up a latex like note in the drydown of play sport once!) but it follows a similar smooth citrus/mint combo into a white musk/white woods dry down. I think Bosque is more unique but my nose prefers Play Sport.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

If you love it and you'll wear it often, I say get it! A fragrance's FBW viability should not be determined by the credibility of the house or its standing here or in the fragrantosphere, but simply by the enjoyment it provides you.

I've got a full bottle of Skarb and someday I'd like to pick up Askew, too. Still have yet to try Blask or Candour. Blask, especially, sounds like one I'll love.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, this may sound like a random suggestion but I find Givenchy Play Sport (which i've been wearing for the last 3 days now) has a number of similarities with Bosque. It's not so spermy (although I did pick up a latex like note in the drydown of play sport once!) but it follows a similar smooth citrus/mint combo into a white musk/white woods dry down. I think Bosque is more unique but my nose prefers Play Sport.
    Hi Sculpture!
    Your post meant a lot reading all that and put my mind at ease haha, as silly as that sounds.
    I bought Bosque today (yay!) - I love that spermy note in the drydown, the opening blast is just pure joy to me and I find it to be a more emotional, summery Secretions Magnifique. I do love it so I'm glad I finally bought it.
    And talking about house credibility and stuff, I also bought M/Mink by Byredo today :') I never though i'd own a Byredo! I used to think this juice was absolutely repulsive, but randomly I sprayed it on today, let it sit for about an hour and went back for a bottle, it's incredible stuff! So yes, I'm thrilled, gonna post all my purhcases in the today i bought thread at the end of my holiday - it's gonna be a haul and a half! (in my standards!)
    I'm fascinated that Skarb was your first bottle, it never really clicked with me, but as an aquatic, I easily consider it one of the best around, although an aquatic is a very layman's way of describing it, it is a lot more than that. Askew constantly appeals to me with it's sweaty/swimming pool/smoky smell. I nearly bought Blask today - but something about it makes me uncomfortable, although the drydown is much more enjoyable. I can't say I truly get the wine and walnut - although there is a subtle nuttiness, and a slight tanning smell - I mainly got violets? And a creamy woods - but it's got some herbal notes and is full of H&G wierdness that made it fascinating - it's a great fragrance though.
    I also tried Candour again today - last time I found it to be a floral spicy powder - I was wrong, it is still that, but the bitter greener in it is really unusual, and yet again, that H&G wierd signature splashed over it - it dries down to a sweetish/parchmenty/green/lactonic smell - yet again, the opening was a little too hardgoing for me before I began to thoroughly enjoy it. Still - I absolutely love this house, it's a shame hardly anyone speaks about them.

The funny thing is that the expectations of the community and blogosphere in general have created this sort of narrow band of what is 'acceptable' niche. It's really just as predictable as the mainstream market, imo, and just as rife with brand identity and all the things that the fragrance snobs stick their noses up. The hypocrisy of it! Then you get a house like H&G, who does something just totally different - some truly unique, very modern and mainstream-but-with-a-twist scents - and they get ignored. All the while, the perfumistas want something 'different and unique' but what they really want is more of the same; more Jubilation XXVs and Ambre Sultans and what not. It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating.

Enjoy the Bosque! I'm going to have to wear it again soon. I think it is perfectly executed conceptually (one of the few H&G's where the emotion or feelings the scent triggers in me is the same as they portray in their ad copy, unlike with say Skarb supposedly being melancholy, or Askew angry. I find Skarb very grounding and Askew is more full of life, or rather, life blossoming again after a thaw. Vitality and vigor, maybe, but not fury as they claim. Well, that's my take.)

Heck, I even really like the way Bosque smells, although I just don't think I'd wear it often enough to make it FBW. It is, however, one of the few scents that truly strike me as happy. Maybe now that I've gotten my life in order again and am finding more and more happiness, I'll be inclined to wear happier scents more often. I definitely feel less pull to wear my darker and more introverted scents as of late.

Ok, I better stop. Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy the hell out of Bosque and talk up H&G whenever you can! The house definitely deserves more praise than it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and how could I forget to congratulate you on the purchase of M/Mink?!

What a wonderful scent. Although I have to be careful because if I'm not in the mood for it I find it to be a bit sickly and annoying - at least the first couple hours. The mid to late drydown is just pure magic though. I wish it jumped right to that phase.

I've never gotten any negative remarks about it, either. My ex actually really liked the way it smelled, and I've had one other girl smell it closely (sprayed it for her on a card and asked her opinion; the only girl I'm really close enough to do that with comfortably) and she didn't love it but didn't hate it. I think it's one of those scents that doesn't really work on paper though; it needs context. By context, I mean, it needs to be smelled in the air and then associated with the image of the man wearing it; ideally a bit mysterious, dark, or aloof.

I also get a wonderful evergreen aroma in the scent and find it delightful to wear this time of year. M/Mink fits like a glove in the winter, and summer heat brings out the animal in it.

Enjoy!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well, that's just the thing about Bosque - it fits the marketing perfectly, but also - beause the so called "happy" scent, really isn't my thing, I've always struggled to understand why I like it so much. It's becuase H&G's idea of happiness is so differnet. There's not pink pepper and tangerine and bergamot - instead you get what I consider an almost melancholy so-happy-you-could-cry floral arrangement and buffallo grass that smells so raw and... "plain" that it becomes fascinating when used in a fragrance... they practically use weeds :') and what joy it is just so natural, how often are you surrounded in jasmines and orange groves - that's not happiness. The drydown as it curdles into a spermy, earthy vetiver with that huge lactonic note swallowing it up (mmmm unnecessary descriptives) is just the perfect finale - it's crude but honest. a "joyful" fragrance who's heart is shallow and it's execution unexpectadly sexy - i love it. It needed to be bought! Haha.

Yay! I was reading your thread on M/Mink last night actually - settled my mind also knowing there was more love for it out there (and how coincidental it was coming from you!) haha. I can imagine it gets sickly, but then many of my favourite scents do - I used to adore the hell out of Cuir Ottoman and now I struggle to wear it because I wore it in the summer and it sickened me so quickly, now it's cold I'm beginning to crack it out a little bit.
    I can't wait to get some real time with this one, I have owned it for like, one day, and I feel my collection just wouldn't be the same without it, need to get it home to join my others! Ha.
    I totally agree with the context, and I think a lot of fragrances are like that anyway - I always said that to justify my purchase of Musc Maori - yeh it's a straightforward chocolate milkshake (bit sour and curdled though) - and I'm like - yeh but I am the last person you'd expect to smell like chocolate :') and that's why it's a sexy fragrance for me.
    M/Mink is one of those perfect heartless fragrances though, the one that needs an image to give it a personality - sure it has on of it's own but it's too dark for most people to see I think.

Anyway, here's me rambling on now all in love with my new goodies Thanks for the reply Sculpture I appreciate it!

My "essay" on Bosque - it's long winded, I don't blame you if you don't read of course :') My rambling always goes overboard, but for anyone that does, I'd love to know what you think - whether it's insane or not

Excellent essay forfreddie. THAT! That connection. That emotion. That need to attempt - always in vain, but necessary all the same - to translate ineffable emotions from a deeply moving olfactory experience into concrete words... that is why the true fragrance fans are here. That's why I still come to BN, 6+ years into the journey.

Do not apologize or fear that your words are 'insane' - no sad smiley needed. Hell, save the sad smiley for those who might think it insane - for it is they we should feel sorry for. They're missing out on a whole 'nother world.

Everyone should go read his essay. Seriously - everyone; if only as a reminder to why we're really here.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks Sculpture I appreciate that a lot.
    I know but, you never know how these things will go down - a few people seem to think it's just like a long review, which I guess it kind of is. I know essays like this are a bit self-absorbed but there's no other way of going about it really when you're writing something that probably no one else is going to experience with that scent. But everyone will in one way or another with something else so I guess that's why it's worthwhile to publish rather than just write.
    Thanks for taking the time to readd it

Quick question for you forfreddie,

What are new bottles of H&G going for over there?

And also - is it possible/easy for you to get samples? If you can, PM me and maybe we can work something out. I really want to try Blask and Candour.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hi Sculpture - unfortunately it's just as difficult here... as far as I'm aware, the UK doesn't have a stockist of Humiecki and Graef - that's why I took the opportunity to get one in Berlin. The bottles are going for the standard price as per Ausliebezumduft (150 Euros) and samples, I guess there is the best bet, along with Luckyscent if they're in stock.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Wow, freddie. Now THAT'S what I call a review.

I was just over at a local stockist last week & tried a few H&G. Was pretty impressed with Blask and Clemency. And Eau Radieuse looks set to be a crowd pleaser imo. Too bad I was in a hurry so I didn't get to try Bosque. Perhaps I should return next year. The only niggling problem I have with H & G is the bottle's gawd-awful-bland looks (yes call me shallow, lol). It remind me too much of Lacoste Essential, sans 'embossed crocodile'.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow, freddie. Now THAT'S what I call a review.

I was just over at a local stockist last week & tried a few H&G. Was pretty impressed with Blask and Clemency. And Eau Radieuse looks set to be a crowd pleaser imo. Too bad I was in a hurry so I didn't get to try Bosque. Perhaps I should return next year. The only niggling problem I have with H & G is the bottle's gawd-awful-bland looks (yes call me shallow, lol). It remind me too much of Lacoste Essential, sans 'embossed crocodile'.
    Sorry late reply, I've been off Basenotes for a while
    Thanks Diamondflame that means a lot to me.
    As I said in the review though - Bosque isn't particularly mindblowing in it's construction or scent, but something about it just clicks with me and it amazes me each time I try it - I think it's subtly genius and I could write and write about it.
    Yeh the bottles are a bit basic, but I like it, I like the different materials for the lids (especially the cork for Candour), they are a little more interesting than they first appear
    Blask and Clemency are both great, I think the whole line is extremely solid - a very very overlooked line I can't say enough good things about them.