Code of Conduct

Default By Kilian Amber Oud

Amber Oud by Kilian - The 4th scent of the Arabian Nights collection

Amber Oud is a soft, warm and sensual composition built on the fusion between these two ancestral raw materials: Amber and Oud.
    The objective was to deconstruct/reconstruct amber by taking the animalistic qualities of a dark oud and adding richness through an overdose of vanilla from Madagascar and benzoin from Laos. Cedarwood from Atlas then brings structure to this creation by keeping the balsamic notes in balance. Finally, a touch of spice brings light to this oriental composition.

Default Re: By Kilian Amber Oud

I need this in my life.

I thought the other 3 were just ok. Will try this when it arrives here.

Sound Scents

Sounds like a winner... I will definitely look to sample this one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    I need this in my life.
    Me too.

Kilian mentioned this to scent when he was here a few months ago launching Extreme Oud.

I have a feeling it'll be boring.
    I hope it's not simply amber plus oud.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I thought the next one was going to be Musk Oud but I guess that's #5. Musk Oud could be really interesting...

vanilla + benzoin = powdery amber and oud. Since it's a Kilian I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but...

Will remember to ask Luckyscent to send me a sample of this when I make my next purchase with them.

Kilian mentioned this to scent when he was here a few months ago launching Extreme Oud.

That was my first thought, boring. Hopefully they do a good enough job with the Cedar.

I need this in my life.
    We are sick people arent we. We need yet another 400 fragrance.

When Calice Becker is the nose, it's simply a must sample for me. Just ordered a sample this morning.

got my half dozen samples & note from Kilian today.
    the topnotes are an outstanding oud (real or not) & amber
    which then very quickly drops into a fairly rich vanilla
    followed by a dryyyyyy amber (presumably from the fake oud)

it's a nice, very smooth, comfort scent. if you don't already own something from this genre - it's a worthy addition.
    worth the price ? - hello no but nothing much is today (exluding pure distance M & MdO Oud)

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    the topnotes are an outstanding oud (real or not) & amber
    which then very quickly drops into a fairly rich vanilla
    followed by a dryyyyyy amber (presumably from the fake oud)

it's a nice, very smooth, comfort scent. if you don't already own something from this genre - it's a worthy addition.
    worth the price ? - hello no but nothing much is today (exluding pure distance M & MdO Oud)
    The others in this series use real oud, I'd bet this one does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    had my tongue in my cheek for the 'purists' (?)

Will surely test it, thanks for the info...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Is Firmenich's Oud Synthetic 10760 E now considered to be "real oud"?

How?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I was gonna say , Kilian use synthetic oud in their ouds . Good stuff still but not the real mcoy

We got our samples/tester in store yesterday. On paper it smells amazing (like layering Oud Wood with Amber Absolute) but on my skin at least it dries very soft and very much like a light skin scent which kinda disappointed me but I do believe it to be a well made fragrance and that it should do very very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    How?
    contacted the Kilian rep I use trying to check this one out - not available
    a week later, got a phone call to stop by & was handed an envelope with the samples & a note from Kilian
    Last edited by SoGent; 19th January 2012 at 05:39 PM.

contacted the Kilian rep I use trying to check this one out - not available
    a week later, got a phone call to stop by & was handed an envelope with the samples & a note
    Ahh cool. I was wondering if they were changing their policy about shipping stuff out, as I can't find their stuff anywhere locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Ahh cool. I was wondering if they were changing their policy about shipping stuff out, as I can't find their stuff anywhere locally.
    the samples & handwritten notes are enveloped for mailing out to customers, so maybe they have changed their position a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    We got our samples/tester in store yesterday. On paper it smells amazing (like layering Oud Wood with Amber Absolute) but on my skin at least it dries very soft and very much like a light skin scent which kinda disappointed me but I do believe it to be a well made fragrance and that it should do very very well!
    Must try this for myself.

Yet another Oud fragrance with no Oud. Is there real Oud in any of them ?

I just got a sample and I gotta say I am extremely disappointed! I love Amber but this scent is soooo light I could barely smell anything! Tomorrow i am going to give this sample a full wearing. I have my fingers crossed.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I thought the next one was going to be Musk Oud but I guess that's #5. Musk Oud could be really interesting...

vanilla + benzoin = powdery amber and oud. Since it's a Kilian I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but...

It has only been on my skin for a couple of hours but my first impression is
    It smells like a smoky amber ala Amber Absolute and I don't get much oud at all.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

To my nose, this was almost an exact replica of tobacco vanille. I was disappointed.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I got my sample today , let´s see how it works this..
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Sound Scents

I liked it, but was disappointed in Amber Oud in the end.

It starts off strongly resembling the opening of Mona di Orio's Ambre (and MdO's Oud), but while those scents excel at the drydown, the By Kilian scent turns very generic, leaving me with a "smelled this many times before" (for a lot less money) feeling. I also did not detect much Oud, similar to Incense Oud in that respect (both with "real Oud" relatively high price tags). While Incense Oud can be enjoyed though as a reference incense scent even if there is not much or any real oud in it, Amber Oud is no reference Amber, IMO. Major letdown and I really wanted to love it too.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

did you have already try this, bro?
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Amber Oud is good,i think it sort of resembles Musc Ravageur a little bit but sort of lighter and creamy is the word im looking for. Any one else smell the resemblence.
    Top 5

1. Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

2. Invasion Barbare by MDCI

3. Green Irish Tweed by Creed

4. Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL

5. Gendarme

6. Jazz Prestige by YSL

I've got my sample on Saturday and couldn't wait to try it as it was my first oud as interpreted by Kilian. Unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed as the amber and the oud in it were almost non-existent, at least to my nose. What really stood out to me was the vanilla - it really reminded me of something for a while, and then it struck me as being very, very similar to Un Bois Vanille, albeit Amber Oud being more subdued. Now the biggest disappointment is probably how little longevity I get out of this, it barely makes it to 20 minutes and after that I just can't smell it (this is after using up 90% of the 2ml sample); now this is probably just me as all other Kilians are very long-lasting.

The use of Bay leaf in this was brilliant. That said CdG Palisander is somewhat similar for a lot less dough.
    Last edited by neal; 28th February 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    The use of Bay leaf in this was brilliant. That said CdG Palisander is somewhat similar for a lot less dough.
    Interesting! The problem is that Comme Des Garcons is too often overlooked. Palisander was composed by Francoise Caron (responsible for Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile, Hermes Eau D`Orange Verte, Le Labo Fleur d`Oranger 27, Thierry Mugler Angel La Part des Anges and Angel Garden Of Stars Violette Angel among others) and Yann Vasnier (Tom Ford Santal Blush, Divine's L'Homme de Coeur , L'Ame Soeur, L`etre Aime Homme, Marc Jacob's Bang Bang, Le Labo Aldehyde 44, Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises among others) but people seems to stick with what is more hyped...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

looking forward to try this, sampled

Rose oud
    incense oud
    back to black
    straight to heaven

My sample arrived, surprisingly generic smelling for a Kilian fragrance and not a trace of oud to be found, at least not by my nose. Quite a basic, light, safe and forgettable powdery vanilla "amber", I don't really see the point. $400 for this seems a bit embarrassing.

Interesting, but not ok, no Big Deal in my opinion (I am a Kilian's supporter, just being honest here)

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I have read they use Givaudan OrPur, which I understand to be a filtered real oud. Where did you get the info that they use what you stated?

Anyway, I think this is a very subtle and understated frag... just as good as Rose Oud and Incense Oud and similar in style. It's not something that's going to wow you, but IMO it is a very good frag.

I'm still waiting for my free sample of Amber Oud to arrive in the mail, ive been wanting to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    I'm still waiting for my free sample of Amber Oud to arrive in the mail, ive been wanting to try this out.
    Canadian mail thinks it is best aged for 1-2 weeks before it is delivered.... sorry.

Canadian mail thinks it is best aged for 1-2 weeks before it is delivered.... sorry.
    I knew it ! lol

Got my sample of Amber Oud in the mail last week, and I wore it. Amber Oud reminded me a lot of YSL M7 (original formulation-haven't tested the reformulated one), but with a hint of vanilla added. Very good and well-blended, but not bottleworthy (especially when YSL's website sells M7 for 1/4 of the price per ounce of Amber Oud).

Out of the Kilians that I have tried, Straight to Heaven remains my favorite (and my all-time favorite scent), with Back to Black a close second.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Wow this is turning out to be a dud?

Lucky Scent is selling 50 ml bottles of Amber Oud for nearly $400! Anyone know why it's so expensive? I was able to find refill bottles of it selling for $175.

I received a sample from Kilian last week. I sprayed once and I found it very nice. The problem is that I misplaced my sample. I have no idea where it is. Whaaaa!!!!! There is one more place where I could have stored it. If I can't find it I will have to rely on Luckyscent.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I received a sample from Kilian last week. I sprayed once and I found it very nice. The problem is that I misplaced my sample. I have no idea where it is. Whaaaa!!!!! There is one more place where I could have stored it. If I can't find it I will have to rely on Luckyscent.
    Hope you find it. I don't think LuckyScent is selling samples of this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Lucky Scent is selling 50 ml bottles of Amber Oud for nearly $400! Anyone know why it's so expensive? I was able to find refill bottles of it selling for $175.
    Ones a refill bottle and ones the 1.7oz in the lacquered box.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Hope you find it. I don't think LuckyScent is selling samples of this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Ones a refill bottle and ones the 1.7oz in the lacquered box.
    Yeah, I know. Just thought it was interesting how expensive the lacquered box is. Most of the other Kilian boxed fragrances are around $225-$250.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, I know. Just thought it was interesting how expensive the lacquered box is. Most of the other Kilian boxed fragrances are around $225-$250.
    L'oeuvre Noire collection are $225 and Arabian Nights are $395.

Maybe I don't know where to look but I did not saw any news about this on BN: By Kilian Amber Oud Wins The 2013 Indie Fragrance Foundation Award

First Place: By Kilian Amber Oud - it was my favorite from the Arabian Nights collection (I saw somewhere mentioned that there were/are 5 fragrances in this collection even tho on By Kilian site are mentioned only 4: Rose oud, Pure oud, Amber oud, incense Oud)
    Second Place: Jul et Mad Terasse a St. Germain - I could not find any information about this on fragrance directory but looked on their site and noticed that their fragrances are a bit expensive
    Third Place: Le Cherche Midid Eau D’Hiver - I could not find any information about this on fragrance directory
    Fourth Place: Carner Barcelona Rima XI
    Fifth Place: Ramon Monegal Cuirelle

What means indie?

Maybe I don't know where to look but I did not saw any news about this on BN: By Kilian Amber Oud Wins The 2013 Indie Fragrance Foundation Award

First Place: By Kilian Amber Oud - it was my favorite from the Arabian Nights collection (I saw somewhere mentioned that there were/are 5 fragrances in this collection even tho on By Kilian site are mentioned only 4: Rose oud, Pure oud, Amber oud, incense Oud)
    Second Place: Jul et Mad Terasse a St. Germain - I could not find any information about this on fragrance directory but looked on their site and noticed that their fragrances are a bit expensive
    Third Place: Le Cherche Midid Eau D’Hiver - I could not find any information about this on fragrance directory

What means indie?

What means indie?