Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Chrome: The Definition of "Hot Synthetic Mess"

Unlike alot of posters, I'm sympathetic to the aquatic side of thefragrance house; Nautica Voyage is my current work scent and I love my Bulgari Aqua. ImagIne my surprise when today I smelled "Chrome" for the first time and was assaulted by a horrid synthetic mess. I mean even Curve has redeeming features, but this sweat of the damned had nothing going for it. All the notes, including the hideous lazy lemon burst at the top fight with each other untill you get to the drydown which does a bad impersonation of Cool Water/GIT. That this is popular can only be attributed to brilliant marketing by Azzaro and bargain pricing. Although recently I've seen this atrocity selling for $50-75, you could get AdG, Bulgari Aqua or 2 bottles of Voyage for that; how vile...Anyways, avoid this one aquatic lovers, it's an unimaginably bad fragrance that smells like chemical runoff from a nailpolish remover factory.

Default Re: Chrome: The Definition of "Hot Synthetic Mess"

I agree that it is very synthetic, but that doesn't bother me in the least I love Chrome. In fact I don't think it even has a green drydown like Cool Water does it's chemicals all the way except for the citrus.

The fact that it smells synthetic doesn't really bother me either.

Yes, it is a synthetic metallic water. I don't like it, blind bought it and got very disappointed.

Odd as I find Voyage to be much more unpleasantly synthetic than Chrome. Voyage smells plasticky, or like vinyl. Chrome smells metallic and bright and sunny.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Haha, this was my SOTN last night.

It is synthetic but it is a guilty pleasure of mine from time to time.
    There is actually a tea note that appears eventually that I quite enjoy

I don't know, "synthetic mess" is such a cliche on here I don't think it has a definition anymore. it's just what people say when something smells not from nature, and they don't like it

It's extremely popular because many people like me love smelling the Chrome freshness, and being perceived as fresh by others - it's the only long lasting fresh scent that has never let me down, no matter how hot the weather, and how sweaty and frazzled it had made me.

I am unaware that any metal actually smells of anything, so it is unsurprising that a scent which somehow smells metallic, is never going to be classed as smelling "natural" rather than synthetic.

There is nothing nicer than smelling the delightful scent of Chrome from someone wearing it 30 or 40 paces away. One really appreciates the craftsmanship that went into making a scent such as this. Few others have accomplished it, and those that have usually get one star in Luca Turin's rating system.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Odd as I find Voyage to be much more unpleasantly synthetic than Chrome. Voyage smells plasticky, or like vinyl. Chrome smells metallic and bright and sunny.
    I agree with this.

I like the freshness of Chrome, and it always gets a LOT of compliments (guys and girls). The fact that I can get a 3.4oz of it on the web for only $28 makes it really a pretty decent deal. However, everyone reacts to scents differently, and body chemistry can do crazy stuff. So, obviously, it doesn't work for everyone.

Basenotes Junkie

chrome to me smells clean and synthetic. That is all. Nautica voyage is also synthetic but like it a lot more

I agree in that Nautica Voyage is spin off of Chrome but Voyage is more floral

Blog Entries

To me Chrome smells like a more metallic and masculine CK1.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    To me Chrome smells like a more metallic and masculine CK1.
    Yep I feel the sme way.

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree completely.
    Chrome to me is a fantastic fresh fragrance with good longevity and sillage.
    I don't perceive it as a synthetic mess, it doesn't smell "natural" either, but certainly not overly synthetic.
    The popularity has nothing to do with brilliant marketing, but with the actual fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Yes - Voyage has to be worn really, really lightly to avoid the synthetic side, which is almost cringe-inducing when it appears. I think that Chrome avoids this by toning the same stuff down by a factor of 10. I bought Voyage at discount, but I've waffled on Chrome, since I rarely see it at Marshall's when I'm in the mood for metallic fresh.

Chrome seems to appeal to the part of me that wants to clean windows. Juuuust sayin'.