Code of Conduct

Default Have any of you smelled something, hated it, smelled it again, and then loved it?

A few months ago, I stopped by Sephora and took a whiff of A*Men (on card), and was totally turned off by the overpowering burnt-caramel scent. Yet, I took another chance on it yesterday (on card) at Neiman Marcus. Instead of caramel, all I smelled was delicious chocolate and fruit (chocolate covered fruit? ). Was there something wrong with my nose? Does this ever happen to anyone else? I was completely taken aback!

Default Re: Have any of you smelled something, hated it, smelled it again, and then loved it?

Usually when I dislike a fragrance I try there's no about face for me.

Default Re: Have any of you smelled something, hated it, smelled it again, and then loved it?

The first time I smelled Yatagan I flinched having foolishly sprayed some on my wrist. I left the store amazed that anyone could try to sell such a smell. After about an hour I was back and bought it. A complete about face.

To some extend Lagerfeld Classic. Maybe Van Gils too. Sprayed a bit too much the first time. Not entirely sure about the VG yet though, it's a bit rough and could, after the reformulated Bijan Men, be the 2nd scent that is too raw for me.

Else I had used fragrances that didn't smell right/of much the first time (perhaps because they had not been sprayed for a long time and the juice in the tube is exposed to air? Or the nose needs to adjust?), which were Krizia Uomo and Guerlain Heritage. Both excellent on 2nd try.

Yes! On first sampling Amouage's Lyric Woman I could detect only a hint of rose but an awful lot of red wine. I put away my sample and sniffed it again recently, and I love it! It's a really complex, beautiful frag and I'm glad I kept the sample. Just wish I could afford an FB.

Wasn't there a similar thread just a few days ago?

If i dislike something it's properly for good. I dislike white flowers and A*Men.

Other perfumes I'll put off judging till i can properly assess and relate to them.

for swap/sale:

Yep... there was a thread on the Male Fragrance discussion board like this not too long ago. It must have slipped past me, because I had no idea it existed

A big part of the issue seems to be when people blame a smell before letting it properly dry down (I'm certainly guilty of this, unfortunately)

Several gourmands, like Rochas Man and even, surprise, surprise, Le Male, I did not dislike them at first, but was indifferent, then went through an "adjustment" phase, then eventually ended up loving them

Dior Farenheit and tea for two

Basenotes Plus

many times......
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I had relegated TDC Sel de Vetiver to the "others" section of my scent catalog. The first few tries of SdV were on humid muggy days in this part of the world. Not at all pleasing and I reviled the stuff instantly. Now fast forward 3 months , the weather is dryer and cooler and somehow now SdV is in its element. I have become intrigued to see how a change in overall climate can ultimately make a WTF scent into a FBW addition.

Oh btw, picked up a bottle of Rose 31 from Le Labo......does anybody else agree that this one has a heavenly drydown to behold?

Yatagan and Mouchoir de Monsieur. Both take patience to enjoy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes.

The olfactory system is complex, and the more you smell, the better you smell.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st February 2012 at 03:07 PM.

A*Men for me. I had the same experience as the OP. Just wasn't prepared for it and disliked it. 4 days later I bought a bottle.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

No. 5....my first reaction was "men's locker room" but now i luuuurrrvveeee it
    Last edited by meowmo; 26th February 2012 at 12:53 AM.

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

CDG Avignon.....my 1st impression was it is too churchy and so dark, almost gothic perfume.

But now I love it so much that I am going to use it for one week neck week.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé