Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Recommend samples for my gf

I'm going to treat her to some samples to find out what she likes. If possible please post also where the sample is available for sale? Also I'd appreciate your lists ordered from most important to least, in your opinion.

Whaddya say ladies (gents welcome too) help me out?
    Last edited by Mandolinist; 18th January 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend samples for my gf

ln order to make suggestions, it would be helpful to have somewhere to start. Can you tell us a little about your girlfriend? For example, is she outdoorsy/sporty, etc.? What's her style, eg. classic/vintage, grungy, trendy, etc.? Are you looking for an everyday, "office" type scent, or something more seductive for evenings?

You said you got her interested in scents recently; did she express any particular preferences?

You are a very nice chap to think of doing this for your lady!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I would suggest you to go for burberry perfume or nina ricci perfume or christina aguilera perfume. As these days Christina aguilera perfumes are most used among ladies. I am sure your girlfriend would like it too.

Basenotes Plus

Hi teardrop, thank you for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ln order to make suggestions, it would be helpful to have somewhere to start. Can you tell us a little about your girlfriend? For example, is she outdoorsy/sporty, etc.? What's her style, eg. classic/vintage, grungy, trendy, etc.?
    She is not outdoorsy type at all really I can tell you that and certainly not grungy, always well groomed, dresses very nicely. I'd just call her style well rounded, nothing fancy but always looks well put-together, even in jeans and sneakers (trainers?). And she's the same age as me, 28

Are you looking for an everyday, "office" type scent, or something more seductive for evenings?
    I'd go for more all-around scents first and foremost. I'm not really looking for anything formal. Seductive is fine . Just need a starting point for two people with very little knowledge of ladies' perfume.

You said you got her interested in scents recently; did she express any particular preferences?
    Just nothing that smells cheap or synthetic, and I do know she doesn't like Alien, so I guess that leaves Jasmine-heavy scents out?

I know this is an open ended question, but even having a couple recommendations from BN is better than none

I would say, go out together first and have a squirty day with a lovely lunch in the middle. There is just not enough to go on to recommend you actually buy anything yet. You need to go to your nicest department store and ask a friendly SA to play the game with you. I think you actually need to start with groupings of scent styles first before you start honing in. If you head for the classics first, you will not get it wrong.

Maybe take this fragrance wheel and start grouping some perfumes in each category. It will soon have you striking off things you don't like which will focus you in a direction to look in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragrance_wheel

Here for instance is a light hearted floral gourmand belonging in the fresh and green section - Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte
    A big fat power floral would be Joy by jean Patou, or fresh floral Marc jacobs Daisy,

In fact the Guerlain counter would be a good place to start. The Aqua Allegorias cover many facets in a lovely way. Shalimar for a powdery woodsy. Guerlain Idylle for a floral chypre.

The Chanel counter next.... try a leathery Cuir de Russie and then good old No 5, then an oriental like Coco, or Coco Mademoiselle

I could go on all night like this.... go and find some SA's and chat them up armed with your wheel. They absolutely love someone doing this for their woman, you'll probably outsample the lot of us....

I don't know why, but Hermes Eau de merveilles is shouting at me..... It isn't for everyone, but is different.

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...review__2.html

Blog Entries

Great advice from Mumsy!

Starting with the classics is a good idea. A great all-rounder is Eau de Shalimar, which manages to be both seductive & suitable for everyday. l find it works at any time of year, too. The classic Shalimar is of course a must-try, & if she finds it too retro for her, then Shalimar Parfum lnitial may be more to her liking; it's an updated, more "youthful" version.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I love Coco Madmoselle for women and all of the Frederic Malles....get them from the perfumed court
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Blog Entries

You might like Jardin Clos. It is my favorite Dyptique. It is on backorder at LuckyScent now. That tells you how popular it is. It is a charming light floral that has a haunting quality.

Jardin Clos Notes;
    hyacinth, white lilac, watermelon, musk, cedar, moss

Easily sampled at department stores - Chanel #5 Eau Premiere

+1 on the Jardin Clos and also maybe for a floral contrast, go from the front garden bed to the back, darker in a purple, Iris Poudre