Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default New Amber Oud By Kilian

by Kilian - Amber Oud

Amber Oud by Kilian - The 4th scent of the Arabian Nights collection

Amber Oud is a soft, warm and sensual composition built on the fusion between these two ancestral raw materials: Amber and Oud.
    The objective was to deconstruct/reconstruct amber by taking the animalistic qualities of a dark oud and adding richness through an overdose of vanilla from Madagascar and benzoin from Laos. Cedarwood from Atlas then brings structure to this creation by keeping the balsamic notes in balance. Finally, a touch of spice brings light to this oriental composition.

Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Default Re: New Amber Oud By Kilian

It's already available in MiN New York

Luckyscent has samples for sale now. I ordered mine this morning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    It's already available in MiN New York
    Have you sampled?

Nope....are you sending a sample to Shanghai? =)

Blog Entries

Yes via carrier pigeon

Looking forward to this.

Oh, hell yes.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Blog Entries

This sounds awesome.....Just ordered samples

Blog Entries

This sounds awesome.....Just ordered samples

anyone had time to sample this yet?
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

WOW. I just got home and saw that I'd received a sample of this in the mail from the Boston Saks By Kilian representative and almost tossed it into my sample drawer untried, because I have difficulty wearing amber scents. However, on the tail of an incredibly busy and stressful day, I felt daring, and also was appreciative that the sales rep took the time to send it. So, I tried a spray of it. This is gorgeous! In the first milli-seconds after a spray to my wrist, I thought, "OK, I've smelled this ambery concoction many times before". But then, within seconds it morphed into this beautiful, spicy, incensey, floral scent...as odd as it sounds, of lilies and carnations at their finest. And vanilla so elemental...just the way the vanilla sticks smell...you know when you fork over 16 dollars for a jar containing 2 sticks of vanilla beans for a recipe that calls for the best? On me, I smell no amber ...perhaps it's in the abstract. Half an hour in, it's constantly changing degrees of smokiness, vanilla, earth, the lilies and the carnations. Just stunning. WOW, am I ever pleasantly surprised.

Update: As a comparison, I would say this smells like a cross between L'Artisan Perfumeur's Timbuktu and Hermes's Vanille Galante. It wears close to the skin, and could quite possibly be highly addictive.
    Last edited by pomander; 26th January 2012 at 12:27 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Anyone know where to order a sample of this? Luckyscent is out until March and I'm not seeing it on TPC. Thanks in advance.

A nice fragrance but too much amber and not enough oud.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    Just seemed like a straightforward Amber based fragrance. I am going to wear it again later today to see if my initial impressions are right.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Luckyscent is out until March
    Oh, I guess I must have just squeaked in before they ran out. I just received a large spray sample from them Monday and I liked it quite a bit.

The issue I have with Amber Oud is that I noticed a pretty strong similarity between it and Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or Ambre (and MdO Oud, come to think of it) in the top and mid notes, but the two scents differ in the base notes with Ambre being far superior there, IMO. The Ambre is also significantly less expensive than the By Kilian, so all in all I wont be buying it. Nice scent, but nothing new and way too pricey, IMO.
    Last edited by drseid; 8th February 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I enjoyed my sample, but not enough to purchase a bottle.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post

Sounds interesting, will sample. But so far from this line I only liked incense oud, but at 400 a bottle its tough to justify. Tbh I rather get back to black and call it a day.

An unexpected bubble mailer showed up from France in my mailbox today, and it was a small spray sample of this directly from Kilian. Not carded, but in a little black envelope. I've not had the chance to test it yet, but it seems like it pays to be registered on their website.

Yes, I got my sample directly from Kilian today too. It is nice. I need a full wearing. I am not that much into ambers. It somehow reminded me of Ambre Rousse, but I need to make a side by side comparison.
    Evenstar

I got one too! I signed up on By Kilian's facebook page. Just sprayed some on my arm, I'm getting a soft, mellow amber with the oud blended into it very subtly, it just adds a deep, dark facet to the amber. It's in the same style as Rose and Incense Oud, where rose/incense is the prominent note and the oud and other notes are blended in so seamlessly you'd miss it unless you know what you're looking for. The vanilla and benzoin are now getting more discernible and blend together to add a slightly sweet incense and vanilla to the amber. Some subtle spicy note is also floating around.

This is definitely an understated frag, extremely well blended, lots of subtle nuances that will come out with continued wearing. I think this is just as good as Rose Oud and Incense Oud, just depends on your preferences.... for me this isn't going to be a purchase, I love Rose and own Rose Oud. At this price, it's gotta be a "love affair" to consider a purchase. I'm sure for some people this will be a must have.

Got mine today too! It's a very sweet, somewhat smoky amber with not a lot of oud. At the top, there's a very prominent vanilla note. As it dries down, the benzoin emerges a bit more. There's also some spice, but it's not in the foreground. I'm liking this quite a bit so far, but it does sit pretty close to the skin. For the price, I'd like something that projects a little better.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

This is interesting... it has died down quite a bit, the benzoin has become much more prominent as L'Incandescent said. I can't actually smell much up close on my arm, but I CAN smell the sillage trail as I move my arm around. So it seems like it's gone, but then I get another whiff of the sillage.

So far I think this is really good. If I still think so after the 1.5 mL sample is gone I might look for a decant...