Code of Conduct

Default need some advice

I added some distilled water to my alcohol based composition. Just a little bit, but my perfume turned white. I think, it's because of ylang ylang (a lot in this composition). Of course, I would like to have a crystal clear perfume. Should bentonite/fuller's earth help? But: in that case my perfume will lose strenght. More alcohol? Other methods? Thanks to everyone for advice!

Default Re: need some advice

You could use a solubilising agent such as DPG.

Bentonite is an interesting idea, as is charcoal filtering and isinglass filtering. Not sure how that'd go.

Try chilling the fragrance down in the freezer, overnight. Then filter through a coffee filter.

I utilise micropore filters attached to a vacuum to filter our fragrances.
    Australian Blog on Fine Fragrance ---> http://savourandscent.tumblr.com/

Winemaker/Perfumer for Emerald Vintners ---> www.emeraldvintners.com.au

I'll try to chill it down in the fridge, then to filter. If it doesn't work, then I'll use bentonite. Thank you!

This tends to happen with almost any perfume if you add too much water - not just with ylang ylang - the more concentrated the perfume, the less water you can use - I find that about 10% oils means no more than 5% water. If you filter out the white stuff you will be taking out the essential oils so it will certainly be less strong and may end up with a very different scent too if the ingredients have not dropped out of solution evenly (which is likely).

For the future, skip the distilled water - why do you want to add it? The only reason I add water is when I’m making high-volume room sprays and need to reduce the cost.

To rescue this one, I don’t think DPG will help but you could try a little DPM (dipropylene glycol mono methyl ether) which is an excellent co-solvent. Unfortunately it does have a slightly metalic odour of its own though.

Another option is something like Polysorbate 20 - that shouldn’t alter the sent but if you need to use a lot it will make the perfume a bit soapy.

Finally you can just dilute with some extra alcohol: that will work but of course will also dilute your perfume strength. That would be my choice.

Hope that helps
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

This is something that i'm unclear of...but...if the haze itself can be attributed to unstable proteins, then bentonite, polyclar, isinglass could be utilised to 'fine' the fragrance without losing much, if any odour.
    Australian Blog on Fine Fragrance ---> http://savourandscent.tumblr.com/

Winemaker/Perfumer for Emerald Vintners ---> www.emeraldvintners.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by BCarter View Post
    This is something that i'm unclear of...but...if the haze itself can be attributed to unstable proteins, then bentonite, polyclar, isinglass could be utilised to 'fine' the fragrance without losing much, if any odour.
    A haze that occurs with time or temperature change in an alcohol based perfume is probably unstable proteins, which can indeed be safely cleared away by any of those means with minimal impact on the scent.

However a milky liquid resulting from adding too much water, is the essential oils themselves coming out of solution: remember almost none of them are soluble in water. The test is to leave the solution to stand for a few days: if some of the oils have dropped out of solution they will end up floating on the surface (usually on top, but can also be at the bottom) as a thin film - though in practice this can take quite a long time to happen.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Hm... I think, I'll add more alcohol. Thanks everyone for advice!

Just in case you wondered, I knew because I’ve made the mistake myself before. I make a lot of mistakes . . . but then:

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    - Bishop WC. Magee 1868
    - Edward John Phelps at the Mansion House in London on January 24, 1899
    Chris Bartlett