Code of Conduct

Thread: Shiseido Basala

Default Shiseido Basala

From what I have read I really want to step into a time machine and buy a bottle of this blind! Anyone have this and have any impressions of this one? All I can seem to find is anything other than the edt.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Shiseido Basala

Lots of scents are made by Japanese designers, but they don't really smell Japanese to me.

However, Basala is the exception. Something in it's accords is very different from other scents.

And it's a bit of a powerhouse as well. I don't wear it often - its potency is such that I get tired of it very quickly - until the next time I want a burst of something different.
    Regards,
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ...Something in it's accords is very different from other scents.

And it's a bit of a powerhouse as well. I don't wear it often - its potency is such that I get tired of it very quickly...
    Its long lasting potency is why i love this frag. Renato is spot-on in saying their's something in Basala that differentiates it from other frags. I strongly think it is the interplay of coconut, caraway and tarragon.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have a full bottle of the EDT and it's wickedly wonderful. Glad I have it in my collection.

Dependent

I don't find it very longlasting, but it sure is unique and smooth. The sandalwood and rose give structure but the herbs and other ingredients put it in a class of its own. Amazing juice... very grateful to have located a 3/4 fulll bottle here on BN this year. Rare and wonderful.

I hope I can find a bottle of this! I keep looking...and I will keep looking. Thanks guys!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

An ex-lover, who I'm still on good terms with, owns a 100ml bottle of Basala. The only problem is, she never wears it and just leaves it on display on one of her bathroom shelves. And it's pretty much 98% full.

The next time I return to Italy, I'll have to see if she still has it (I doubt if she'll give it up as it holds certain special memories).

I can seem to find the after shave occasionally but not the edt. How is the after shave? Is it "good enough"? Really hoping to find a higher concentration. Opinions?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Dependent

I still haven't tried the aftershave.

I think this stuff is rather potent, though its longevity is average imo -- it lacks the heavy musk and longlasting woody synthetics that would prolong its life more. That's okay with me as I get a solid 8 hours, and the composition has the rich depth (real sandalwood? etc) that good use of naturals create.

Basala has a certain fruitiness that doesn't feel synthetic. I think it's a result of dry rose with some add'l damascones to flesh it out.

Last night I finally realized where the "dark" mysterious intensity of Basala comes from: a big ol' dose of castoreum. Castoreum isn't often used in compositions like this, which accounts for Basala's unique profile among frags.

Jaguar Mark II, created around the same time by the same perfumer Dominique Preyssas, features a similar, though woodier, composition, and imo also relies on castoreum for its animalic intensity. However, it does not have the same natural depth in its sandalwood accord -- must be cheaper ingredients. Still a very good fragrance however.

I have read (probably on BN somewhere) that Joseph Abboud EdT is similar. I have a bottle of the latter but haven't sampled Basala so can't help much but it may be worth investigating further.
    Last edited by Marais; 11th November 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Dependent

I was given a 15 ml bottle of the after shave from the shop in Palais Royal in Paris one time as a gift and have to admit I was a little tired of the scent by then and have not used it being an after. Just tested that again today and it has a very faint trace of the fragrance and a very refreshing note to it almost like a mint note before the actual fragrance part was revealed - very pleasant to splash on in the morning - I don't think I could use the EDT in the morning as it is lingers around too long. Now as many may expect, being an after shave, longevity is almost not a word to be associated with this product as the scent is a whiff of the orginal and it is almost a veil and very weak - despite that it is something that I could get to use first thing in the morning as it is not too much in your face and the scent is very delicate and close to the skin - also bear in mind that I have this little bottle for many years, not sure if anything could alter the scent but if you do find any in the market, chances are they have been arround for a little while - it is still a nice trip down memory lane with Basala. I have both Basara and Basala EDT - I don't find any difference in the scent.

Dependent

That cool herbal feel was probably due to the basil, wormwood and/or rosemary. Wormwood in particular has a minty overtone. It's an unusual combination with the rose and animalic sandalwood base.

Dependent

I now have a sample of the aftershave and have worn it once. It's quite good! The base is lighter but the musk still was detectable after several hours. Captures some of the vibe of the original without the intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Actually, now I have acquired a bottle of Basara for myself, I agree with you that they aren't very similar. The bottles themselves are more similar than the scents within. Joseph Abboud is much drier and the spices are more 'full on'. Basara has a lovely sandalwood drydown that I don't get from Joseph Abboud. They do have a shared spiciness.

I do wonder if the bottle similarity was intentional.

amazing scent found a tester but the shop owner wouldn't sell it!

One of my alltime-favs although I don't wear it very often. But everytime I do, I'm amazed by it.

I own a full Edt bottle of this virile, mysterious and erotic fragrance.

A unique and beautiful scent I've worn for years. I have back up bottles but I still wear it sparingly.